DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Jun 13, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #2,476 of 10,348
It was I just didn't put I on good got a bunch of dust and lint underneath 😓. Thanks for the info.

Does a clear 300 case from Ali express fit 320?
Yes it fits. But you better take the smoke colored ones. The clear version was yellow after a year with the DX 300 and was no longer nice to look at. I now have the smoke color for my DX 320. It fits perfectly.

Jun 13, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #2,482 of 10,348
Which iems are those?
Elysian Acoustics Labs X
Killer pair ... 😎
217072612_4170799949676285_337983796513809836_n.jpg

Jun 13, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #2,483 of 10,348
I'm still catching up in this thread. So many posts in the last couple of days, which is what were all waiting for so I'm not complaining. But my understanding is that you should try to minimise use of rapid charging as it's not good for the battery versus regular charging.

No, fast charging will not reduce battery life when implemented correctly. Heat is 9bviously the more watts, the more heat but in reality as long as the battery doesn't get to hot. Qualcomm has all sorts of documentation and tests showing it's not. At this point, most smartphone makers are shooting for 80 percent overall battery health after 800 charges. If you charge it 400 hours a year that's 2 years before it's at 80 percent. Some phones actually use 2 batteries just for faster charging because sending 25W to 2 batteries instead of 50W to a single battery produces less heat.

The DX320 sometimes just charges one of the 2 batteries while other times it charges both at once. I imagine the switching is to keep heat but that's pure speculation as they actually have a patent on how they do the charging. Here is a really good video explains the, sigh, 5 or 6 different kinds of fast charging technologies for fast charging granted one is only available on OnePlus phones. Oppo has an unreleased one that charged a 3000Mah phone from 0 to 100 in 7 1/2.minites but it's not on any phones yet.

Essentially fast charging is fine unless it gets the battery to hot because tha5s what will greatly reduce 9verall battery life.

EDIT: Actually after watching the video again some Chinese smartphone maker just came out with a 120W charger and fully charged In 17 minutes. Oppo's is 240W and fully charged a phone in 9 minutes. Some of it is moving some of the work to the charger so it gets hotter and not your phone's battery and more cooling hardware in the phone. I have one 0f those needy cables and the highest I've seen it go is 14W and it is almost always 11W. While not as accurate as any half way multimeter, it's probably still +2/-2 off at most so it's not pulling 20 to 30W. The only time my DX320 got slightly warm was after listening to a full Police SACD but it was "slightly warm", not charging and not even warm enough to concern me in anyway.

I would.lime to have the ability to stop charging at say 95 percent and start charging at 70 percent. You need to root Android to do that and I haven't gotten around to it.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #2,484 of 10,348
iBasso DX320 & Amp11 MK2s
iBasso DX300 & Amp13

Both sound different, both sound good

Available for demo at the store :)

20220612_155603-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Audio46 Audio46 is the destination store in NYC to demo and buy headphone products. Stay updated on Audio46 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Audio46 https://twitter.com/Audio46NYC https://www.instagram.com/audio46/ https://audio46.com/ info@audio46.com
Jun 13, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #2,485 of 10,348
If there is an option not to charge it means, normally, that the battery is bypassed. I.e. The power comes the supply, not from the battery. However, I don't know how they've pulled this off since they need two distinct voltages for the analogue and digital parts.

M17 can run off internal battery or external wall power supply. That is why you can disable the internal battery, to switch to desktop mode, I assume (i don't have M17). Majority of portable daps, including DX320, don't have that option.

Sounds like something unique to the M17. I'm trying to remember if smartphones still worked when removable battery was taken out, back when that was an option but probably not and you wouldn't really want to anyways. I know laptops used to work without a battery when plugged in but I would never recommend doing that unless to just see if it does work.

The DX320 doesn't charge when used as a USB DAC although it seems to be slightly picky about cables as the cheapest long cable I have works great and it's 30ft while a much thicker cable doesn't.. Neither does the BRT5 2021. With that said, I watched a roughly 90 minute movie and it went from 100 percent to 97 percent so barely any battery drain at all and no lipsynch issues on my shield pro. I did have some on my Dune Solo but it has both forward and backward lipsynch correction and most media players can't do forward lipsynch correction.That and batteries can control the power input way better then an AC outlet with practically zero noise, if not 0 percent. That's why people who have 2.million dollar plus home theater setups run everything of sinewave batteries. Well, a lot do spend that much anyways. While I know sometimes people think AC outlet noise doesn't cause any issues, you may be right, at least for where you live. After living in an apartment with terrible wiring and an even worse landlord, that's when a power conditioner made a huge difference (at least for me) but batteries simply take it out of the equation with clean power at all times. You can always listen to AM radio from your outlets with the noise sniffer because it gets absorbed into the power lines.

Regarding battery life, IBasso is claiming 10 hours audio time and it beats that, at least for me in Mango OS. Sometimes it seems like it is draining much faster in Android but then I go look at what apps have been using the battery and there is 30 minutes on Chrome. 20 minutes on YouTube so that's screentime is what is draining the digital battery faster with me thinking I only used chrome for 10 minutes when I actually spent 30 minutes catching up on this thread.

Jun 13, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #2,486 of 10,348
M17 connected to DC gives huge voltage swing (+/-11.5V) and there comes big , dinamic sound with huge stage and low impact... ofc cheap DC adapter doesnt help but better solution like from IFI sorts this out, even though I have no problem with default one. Without proper power some headphones cant shine, even thought spec says 32ohm, 99db/mw still I feel sound step up when giving more juice.

Jun 13, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #2,487 of 10,348
Well this is a nice surprise :) I didn't think it would ship until today because I ordered it late Friday but AMP13 and Monarch MKII's will be here today. Well there goes the rest of my day, and I couldn't be happier. Outside the fact that I'm going to be staring out the window until the package arrives.

I also saw someone post a page or two back about not having a modular 2 pin cable. I've been using this as a short term solution and notice zero difference when using it. 28 bucks on Amazon. Will get my modular 2 pin cable with my delivery but adapter can still come in handy.. They also have 2.pin to MMCX for the same price.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220613-131434.png
    Screenshot_20220613-131434.png
    185.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20220613-132628.png
    Screenshot_20220613-132628.png
    386.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 13, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #2,489 of 10,348
You are aware there are people around here claiming they get better sound from a 3000 bucks cable? But only after 500 hours of burning in (or crying over the wasted money)
I never cried over any purchase but yes cables do make a difference
Actually I just bought this one
Maybe one day you should test drive it and experience yourself what difference is out there
61cdb953c8cdb3873.jpg_e1080.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #2,490 of 10,348
Hi all, had a mini meet with Tiger Ears @Vitaly2017 over the weekend after a lot of demoing the good stuff, speakers and then flagship headphones - we finished off with a 45 mins dedicated to porta-fi DX300 vs DX320.

First off, I don't want to rain on anyone’s parade here but both sources albeit being phenomenal values for the money are not on the level of my past owned SP2000CU and even less so the Hugo2. That being said, Hugo2 is outstanding in sound but annoying in usability, and SP2000CU has sharp edges and poor user interface/ slow processing.

Another thing to note, unlike the above, DX320 is more of a side-grade than an upgrade, objectively speaking here. I do agree the 320 is generally better sounding than 300, but they trade blows more so than anything. Where a Hugo2 is perhaps 20% better than DX320, SP2000cu is perhaps 10-12% & then DX320 being about 5% better than DX300.

Iem’s tested on both DAP’s are:
VE Phonix, VE EXT, IE900, IER-M9

Also use my KSE1200, IER-Z1R, MEST Indigo, MEST, EX1000 & ER2XR commonly with DX300

DX320:
- This DAP is quite nuanced in dynamic contrast, has sharp enough leading edges and transients, but also not too much.
- Technicals are great but not top flight, but the voicing has a bit of forgiveness thanks to this.
- Bass thumps and has fast decay and snappy speed.
- Imaging is fantastic and precise in positioning well developed & rendered instruments cohesively
- Staging is quite intimate and focalized in center stage and not so much in width. This also allows for more engagement factor and sense of dynamic. It’s quite intimate, to my surprise.
- This is my first experience with a device using ROHM dac’s and I can say it’s neat. I would call this a neutral/ fun source with above average dynamics and great detail/ overall fidelity.

DX300:
- Detail is more “apparent” though this is mostly due to the more expansive presentation
- Staging from left to right and up to down (x & y) is much further reaching compared to the DX320, though it struggles to push out depth in the Z axis
- It’s a more holographic, large and surrounding experience, but at the same time there is less layering/ relief/ texture magic vs the DX320, which does a better job of portraying music more realistically
- DX300 has a hard time with transient speed and attack. It has a sense of deadness and bloom to it, and tends to add a sense of decay. This works absolutely fantastic with BA drivers and bringing them into realism, but the fact is, this player has a bit of a dead/ plastic timbre
- DX300 has more lingering midbass/ fullness which is very nice with some iem’s, but a bit bloomed relative to DX320. It’s a technical drawback, but in my case a musical plus side to my ears
- DX300 also has more sense of air, whereas as the DX320’s smoothed off top end brings music more into focus/ sharpness, at the expense of etherealness
- The DX300 sound is very blown out and extended. Things linger a little longer, there's a certain looseness, silkiness to the sound, kind of like tube amps.

While comparing, I found myself slightly preferring the DX320 overall in my critical analysis, yet every time I was switching songs to compare, felt more immersed with the DX300. This was maintained with all iem’s except perhaps IE900 which I liked on DX320 slightly more.

Both units were running stock amps.
Both units running filter D1 (though usually I run D3 on DX300, but DX320 only has 2 options)
Both units were on High gain
Both units running Tidal
Both units using stock amp cards
Both units being less than 30 hours burnt in

I encourage @Vitaly2017 to chime in as well, as I think he also found it surprising how both units traded blows rather than one being a direct upgrade. I believe he enjoyed the more detail of the DX300 a lot, but overall still preferred the DX320 factoring all components of sound.

For me, I’m not sure I want to sell my DX300 just yet now, but will keep it listed on Head-Fi as I am hoping to get a Hugo2 again. If anyone is interested in a trade please say hello :)
9915EA5D-63CA-429A-8BDC-EAEA9A43A64C.jpeg
E7630D2F-A258-4527-8B74-1D578632DD7B.jpeg

Last edited:
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back