DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Nov 2, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #7,051 of 10,353
I agree with John , one charger for both is great. It depends, but with stock modules, digitals will always run down faster than analog. There are some amp modules that can run the analog down faster than digital. It is to show case that dedicated batteries is really a 2 systems in one rather than just having dual battery just to have
Just currious, do you think having the 2 batttery setup is better than one battery like some other players? Does it really make much difference?

Nov 2, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #7,052 of 10,353
Just currious, do you think having the 2 batttery setup is better than one battery like some other players? Does it really make much difference?
Absolutely ! The one reason why a dedicated portable setup that has external amplifier and analog source to do better than any DAP is because of separated and dedicated battery as a power source. Just imagine trying to drink from 2 straws and 2 cups rather than 1 straw from 1 cup.

Yes, it makes much different. Another example is that in a multiple parallel cells setup, the battery packs can always be charged a lot faster than if you were to have all cells in series. Therefore, having 2 dedicated cells, not only enabling the charging to be much faster, but also allowing the player to be discharge faster (more specifically is discharging more efficiently).

Nov 2, 2022 at 6:11 PM Post #7,053 of 10,353
Absolutely ! The one reason why a dedicated portable setup that has external amplifier and analog source to do better than any DAP is because of separated and dedicated battery as a power source. Just imagine trying to drink from 2 straws and 2 cups rather than 1 straw from 1 cup.

Yes, it makes much different. Another example is that in a multiple parallel cells setup, the battery packs can always be charged a lot faster than if you were to have all cells in series. Therefore, having 2 dedicated cells, not only enabling the charging to be much faster, but also allowing the player to be discharge faster (more specifically is discharging more efficiently).
I see, so keeping them separate can help control the power draw and be more efficient for the over all system.

Nov 2, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #7,054 of 10,353
I see, so keeping them separate can help control the power draw and be more efficient for the over all system.
And digital and analog systems are run on a different voltage/current source so you get cleaner signals, better (normally) sound.

Nov 2, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #7,055 of 10,353
Yeah....two batteries rock.

Right up until there's the 6+ hour hi res streaming session....then 1% and 72% staring at you.

giphy-3903347322.gif

It's a battery percentage OCDr's nightmare.......
:scream:

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

:beerchug:

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #7,056 of 10,353
Yeah....two batteries rock.

Right up until there's the 6+ hour hi res streaming session....then 1% and 72% staring at you.

giphy-3903347322.gif

It's a battery percentage OCDr's nightmare.......
:scream:

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

:beerchug:
Yeah, that was happening to me with the DX300Max. It did get to be annoying thus I just started using a more portable solution. It would be nice if there was choice options. Although I get the advantages of the dual battery setup now. Maybe in the future we can have options.

Hmmm ... maybe a switch to choose how we use that battery. Like a multi switch that can switch from use wall power only without charging to use on desk. Or/and a switch to use the extra auxiliary power left over in analog for the digital side battery to compensate. Just a thought.

Nov 2, 2022 at 6:59 PM Post #7,057 of 10,353
Yeah, that was happening to me with the DX300Max. It did get to be annoying thus I just started using a more portable solution. It would be nice if there was choice options. Although I get the advantages of the dual battery setup now. Maybe in the future we can have options.

Hmmm ... maybe a switch to choose how we use that battery. Like a multi switch that can switch from use wall power only without charging to use on desk. Or/and a switch to use the extra auxiliary power left over in analog for the digital side battery to compensate. Just a thought.
There is no way to compensate between batteries. They are a completely dedicated and separated packs. The Dx320 is essentially a 2 systems compiled into 1 body , thus eliminating the interconnections and bulkiness of the “stack“

You can choose to have a more power consumption amplifier modules, and you would be seeing the analog battery drained down faster

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #7,058 of 10,353
There is no way to compensate between batteries. They are a completely dedicated and separated packs. The Dx320 is essentially a 2 systems compiled into 1 body , thus eliminating the interconnections and bulkiness of the “stack“

You can choose to have a more power consumption amplifier modules, and you would be seeing the analog battery drained down faster
Now that makes sense. Just by you mentioning that, I envisioned it now as a stack with separates but merged into one case. Thus two individual powered units.

Nov 2, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #7,059 of 10,353

I was poking fun at my OCD self.....I knew going into the purchase about the dual battery setup, it's interesting to see it play out every now and then.

Another time I did 100% local playback while outdoors on a work day, using Poweramp & Qobuz, then BT to FiiO UTWS5. When I finally plugged in power that evening, it was reading single digits % digital, ~90ish% or so on the analog (no amp use). Screen off most of the day, only occasionally changing playlists.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #7,060 of 10,353
I was poking fun at my OCD self.....I knew going into the purchase about the dual battery setup, it's interesting to see it play out every now and then.

Another time I did 100% local playback while outdoors on a work day, using Poweramp & Qobuz, then BT to FiiO UTWS5. When I finally plugged in power that evening, it was reading single digits % digital, ~90ish% or so on the analog (no amp use). Screen off most of the day, only occasionally changing playlists.
You might want to go my route and get another device for portablilty if the dual battery system is not working out. Im still deciding on what will work best for my use case. Thats why I was curious about the DX320 from the 300Max.

Now knowing it has a simular dual battery setup but one charger, I'm wondering would it work for me or be more of the same with one side die out before the other. But the plus is that I would only need ONE charger and thats a convennience I don't mind. The two chargers are challenging sometimes for me at lease.

Nov 2, 2022 at 9:04 PM Post #7,061 of 10,353
You might want to go my route and get another device for portablilty if the dual battery system is not working out. Im still deciding on what will work best for my use case. Thats why I was curious about the DX320 from the 300Max.

Now knowing it has a simular dual battery setup but one charger, I'm wondering would it work for me or be more of the same with one side die out before the other. But the plus is that I would only need ONE charger and thats a convennience I don't mind. The two chargers are challenging sometimes for me at lease.
I'm 100% content with the dual battery setup on the DX320 and it's portability. As long as one of the batts lasts 6+ hours, I really don't care where the other battery ends up in % left. My tongue in cheek comments didn't work out. :beerchug:

I have two portable setups....one is the DX320, the other an iPhone 12 Pro Max. Either can drive the BT UTWS5 setup with a 7Hz Timeless IEM. If I want to use the DX320 for best SQ, I'm wired to the Amp12 driving the Timeless. Just depends on the mood/what's going on for the day. Is there a difference in BT SQ between the 2 sources, yep, not by too much, and no big deal, portable use is usually a noisy environment anyway.

I just use the DX320 more as a desktop setup. It's that awesome IMO.

Two battery chargers for the DX300Max would be more than I'd be willing to deal with.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2022 at 9:24 PM Post #7,062 of 10,353
I'm 100% content with the dual battery setup on the DX320 and it's portability. As long as one of the batts lasts 6+ hours, I really don't care where the other battery ends up in % left. My tongue in cheek comments didn't work out. :beerchug:

I have two portable setups....one is the DX320, the other an iPhone 12 Pro Max. Either can drive the BT UTWS5 setup with a 7Hz Timeless IEM. If I want to use the DX320 for best SQ, I'm wired to the Amp12 driving the Timeless. Just depends on the mood/what's going on for the day. Is there a difference in BT SQ between the 2 sources, yep, not by too much, and no big deal, portable use is usually a noisy environment anyway.

I just use the DX320 more as a desktop setup. It's that awesome IMO.

Two battery chargers for the DX300Max would be more than I'd be willing to deal with.
The sound is the reason why I deal with the two chargers for now. It is the best sounding one I have. But seems like you do have the portable area worked out then. Is it me to still feel a little peeved that apple removed the D%^#& headphone jack and still charge an arm and a leg for less in my opinion. Iphone is a great transport but i sure miss the headphone jack lol.

I do like the DX320 Amp options and form factor. And i do like the one charger. I wonder if the sound is at lease comparable to the MAX (like would I miss the Max). Hard to determin without a way to hear it first. I may just purchase and decide.

Nov 2, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #7,063 of 10,353
Yes, I really love the way they have implemented the dual battery setup. As for making a difference or not, it really depends on how you utilize the extra capabilities that it might provide.

Take planar drivers for instance. We all know that they are harder to drive (properly) than their specs normally indicate. This is because so many portable devices (and even some desktop devices) lack the capacity to use more current. Well, with dual battery setup (one solely dedicated to the amplifier), you can put out much more current (more than you will ever need, even for harder to drive planars). I don't remember if the stock amp is 1.7 or 2 amps, but either would be plenty enough (more than any other single battery portable device, that I know of).

Of all the "stock" amps (11.2S, 12, and 13) Amp13 will usually cause the analog battery to drain faster than the digital (or at least closer to "at the same time") because of it being a tube amp.

Nov 2, 2022 at 9:30 PM Post #7,065 of 10,353
The sound is the reason why I deal with the two chargers for now. It is the best sounding one I have. But seems like you do have the portable area worked out then. Is it me to still feel a little peeved that apple removed the D%^#& headphone jack and still charge an arm and a leg for less in my opinion. Iphone is a great transport but i sure miss the headphone jack lol.

I do like the DX320 Amp options and form factor. And i do like the one charger. I wonder if the sound is at lease comparable to the MAX (like would I miss the Max). Hard to determin without a way to hear it first. I may just purchase and decide.
If you can get it from Amazon, you have the option to return it (for any reason), so that might be a good option to audition it... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back