DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Sep 25, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #6,406 of 10,347
I find it very interesting about the longer battery life of the dx300 compared to the dx320
The DAC chips in the DX320 are "desktop" DACs so take up much more power (they were never meant to be "efficient"), whereas the Cirrus chips are meant for portable. As you have seen, this makes a pretty significant difference. :)

Sep 25, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #6,407 of 10,347
I think it also comes down to head gear. For instance, with the IT-07, I didn't really start appreciating the Amp12 card until I got my 600ohms earbuds. Man! They just sound sublime.. But the IT-07 don't sound nearly as good to me on the Amp12 card as they do with the Amp11.2 card. Then the Amp13 card came along, and now my Hifiman sets are right back up there in the mix.

The point is that I love the DX300 overall, but the amp cards all have a home with me for sure. I love them all and as @Whitigir said the modularity keeps this thing fresh and different than the (wide) field of DAPs, whether it is the DX320 or the DX300. I might also throw in the DX240 because it is also modular. If I had that one, I am sure I would love it too. :)
The one thing that makes me appreciate the dx320 so much more is the ROHM-DAC! It has the cleanest trebles and upper extensions that I have ever observed from many different systems. That was why I specifically proceeded toward modifying XF versions instead of EX. It is pretty simple, because if you have a capable gears to reveal details on the upper ends and it extensions, it can easily be sibilants “another form of audible treble distortions“, or some instances there will be ringing and this is very different from hisses.

This distortions can come from many in the chain, the source (your recordings), the DAC, the Amp (module), The gears you are listening to….and then finally the Cables and it related components.

In my experiences, I focus on one set of references headphones and that is my 800S, well trusted over the years and over many other systems, yes….it can still distort on the upper ends but only when compared to Stax with a proper set up (all of the mentioned above). After this, I would focus on Cables and it components, quality jacks and connectors aside, the solder joins is very important (many cables have this overlooked). Then I would focus on the DAC, and Amplifier, these both can switch priorities. However, I have not observed the performances from any other DAC the way the ROHM do. They either rolled off too early, or they would bring sibilants…..even ringing, glares….not with ROHMs.

I tried N8ii, and I thought it was their expert tuning, implementations, that brought about the dynamic, the punchiness, the details ….etc….that dropped my jaws for a portable, and I simply gave it the statement of being ”the best I have heard yet”, which is simply true. When compared to other DAPs, it has a certain unique factors as mentioned, not that it is like 60-70% differences or whatever, just 8-10% is enough to clarify it so.

Until I got my hand on Dx320, and ohhhh, how that changed my thinking ! It turned out that ROHM-DAC is amazing, and with a very capable amplifier, it would be a killer. Have you observed that I skipped modifying 3Max ? The reason is pretty simple, it won’t be as capable as Dx320 with ROHM, despite of it amplifier topologies to have the possibilities for better upgrade ( a lot more room ). On the same time, I also believe that Ibasso did all that they could to bring about the best performances for AK4499EQx2, and I can totally attest this to my own experience, and the 3Max-Titanium is the pinnacle of Ibasso house sound tuning, definitely the finest !! Of course there is always a way to tweak it and tune it to be a little different than stock…..but IMO, it was not needed.

The better the amp module I toss to the Dx320, the better the performances! Ibasso has implemented an Amazing DAC in an amazing engineering way! I just Love it! and Love it!

If you love AK4499EQ ? Don’t look anywhere else, it is a waste of money and time, get 3Max-Ti :wink:. If you want to hear the best DAC from Sigma-Delta ATM in a portable ? Get a Dx320 :D, it is more fun than N8II with Modular amp systems

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #6,408 of 10,347
The DAC chips in the DX320 are "desktop" DACs so take up much more power (they were never meant to be "efficient"), whereas the Cirrus chips are meant for portable. As you have seen, this makes a pretty significant difference. :)
The dx300 also has top of the line desktop DACs but Cirrus has implemented some specific technology that reduces power demand. That's why they are so effective with battery.

Sep 25, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #6,410 of 10,347
The dx300 also has top of the line desktop DACs but Cirrus has implemented some specific technology that reduces power demand. That's why they are so effective with battery.
Actually, now that we are talking about it, I can't find a source to confirm either of our claims (other that the power efficiency statement). Nowhere that I have looked says that it is made for either portable or desktop.

Cirrus Logic said:
The CS43198 is a next generation, low power audio DAC that provides a superior system-level audio performance without draining battery life. This IC minimizes board space requirements while enabling performance and features to drive design differentiation.

Edit: I suppose it makes no difference either way as long as "portable" doesn't mean some AIO solution like dongles and such (which is not what I was alluding to anyhow). :)

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #6,411 of 10,347
Actually, now that we are talking about it, I can't find a source to confirm either of our claims (other that the power efficiency statement). Nowhere that I have looked says that it is made for either portable or desktop.

Edit: I suppose it makes no difference either way as long as "portable" doesn't mean some AIO solution like dongles and such (which is not what I was alluding to anyhow). :)
When i was looking at their site when having the dx300, the CS43198 dac was first or second on their list with the best parameters. Maybe something changed by now.

Sep 25, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #6,412 of 10,347
When i was looking at their site when having the dx300, the CS43198 dac was first or second on their list with the best parameters. Maybe something changed by now.
Oh no, I am agreeing that it is their flagship chip (or was), but I was looking for data on whether it is a "portable" solution, or "desktop" solution, of which I can find nothing specific other than to say that they have made it very efficient... I suppose they don't really have those lines anymore (which is a great thing IMO).

Nowadays I think when talking about DAC chips, portable really does talk about those that are AIO (DAC/amp combos).

Sep 25, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #6,414 of 10,347
DX320 Issue with Pure Mango Mode

I've noticed that in regular Android mode, the DX320 sees all files in a directory. They consist of both mp3 and m4a files. However, when I go into Pure Mango mode, it sees maybe 1/10 of them.

What's up with that?
Maybe the implementation for .m4a hasn't been done well by iBasso?! It might be that the Mango app in android is able to because the codec is implemented in the OS by default (and is more mature), where it is NOT in Mango OS.

Or, are you saying that it also doesn't find .mp3? If that is the case, I have no idea, and that sounds like it could be a card issue maybe???

Try offloading some of those to your internal memory (for test purposes) and try it again.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2022 at 8:12 PM Post #6,415 of 10,347
Maybe the implementation for .m4a hasn't been done well by iBasso?! It might be that the Mango app in android is able to because the codec is implemented in the OS by default (and is more mature), where it is NOT in Mango OS.

Or, are you saying that it also doesn't find .mp3? If that is the case, I have no idea, and that sounds like it could be a card issue maybe???

Try offloading some of those to your internal memory (for test purposes) and try it again.
I rebooted, and now it is seeing all of the files.

I tell you, there's something not stable in this player.

Sep 26, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #6,418 of 10,347
One thing I noticed, which bothers me a little, not a lot, is delays in accessing files in another directory, using Mango. I have what I think is a fast enough card, a Sandisk 1 TB U3, A2, v30 micro sdxc.

I have anywhere from 400-500 files in a directory, and a number of them, all off of the root. If I select another file from the same directory, it's fast. If I select a file from a different directory, I see the percentage completion numbers at the top go from 0% to 100, and then it plays the file. I don't have this issue with other players. It can take 5-7 seconds.

Sep 26, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #6,420 of 10,347
One thing I noticed, which bothers me a little, not a lot, is delays in accessing files in another directory, using Mango. I have what I think is a fast enough card, a Sandisk 1 TB U3, A2, v30 micro sdxc.

I have anywhere from 400-500 files in a directory, and a number of them, all off of the root. If I select another file from the same directory, it's fast. If I select a file from a different directory, I see the percentage completion numbers at the top go from 0% to 100, and then it plays the file. I don't have this issue with other players. It can take 5-7 seconds.
Mango Os? or Mango player on Android?
I was going to ask the same question because Mango OS seems to be a touch slow at everything you do (pause, play, FF, etc..) compared to its android brother IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back