DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Sep 20, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #6,287 of 10,347
RETRACTED---------------

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #6,288 of 10,347
Leaving for a trip very soon and I finally decided to list the EXN2 to get some funds.
I was really planning to hold on to this AMP as a first or second option but I just favor the presentation of my older AMP12W a teeny bit more.

If anyone is interested, it is up on classified, grab this stellar AMP12 at a discount and within the US!
Amazing works from Steve, and the chance to grab one right at the moment as soon as possible within the US! Such opportunities don’t come around much!

Sep 20, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #6,289 of 10,347
Roon 2.0 released today with it's new mobile app, Roon ARC. I was hoping it would bring bit perfect Roon playback to my DX320 but it doesn't seem to work at all on the DAP. Errors out on playback.

EDIT: I was able to get it working once I closed the iBasso player I didn't realize was open. Unfortunately it resamples everything with Android SRC.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #6,290 of 10,347
Roon 2.0 released today with it's new mobile app, Roon ARC. I was hoping it would bring bit perfect Roon playback to my DX320 but it doesn't seem to work at all on the DAP. Errors out on playback.
AFAIK A&K is still the only ones that have Roon certified devices (Roon Hub).

On another (semi-related) note, I wish that the makers of Mediamonkey would give some more attention to their mobile app. The PC app (5.0) has become a very good Roon-alike app (seen below) and is very mature at this point. The mobile app needs to have some of the features ported from the PC app and needs to be bit perfect. They finally added DSD playback (natively) on the PC app, so we'll see what the future holds. I like Roon, but I don't like paying another sub fee.

MediaMonkey5.PNG

Sep 20, 2022 at 10:09 PM Post #6,291 of 10,347
AFAIK A&K is still the only ones that have Roon certified devices (Roon Hub).
Yeah. You'd think that a mobile app designed by Roon to playback music on the mobile device wouldn't allow Android to resample everything though. I understand why Roon Remote is the way it is, but Roon ARC shouldn't resample, imo. I tested it with a dongle on my Android phone and my wife's iPhone and Roon ARC resamples on both.

Sep 20, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #6,292 of 10,347
Yeah. You'd think that a mobile app designed by Roon to playback music on the mobile device wouldn't allow Android to resample everything though. I understand why Roon Remote is the way it is, but Roon ARC shouldn't resample, imo. I tested it with a dongle on my Android phone and my wife's iPhone and Roon ARC resamples on both.
I agree, there really is no reason for that nowadays. Higher quality audio has started to become a thing again (even on android) in more and more mainstream ways, rather than being the niche road that it was when .mp3s and iPods ruled the world.

Sep 20, 2022 at 11:54 PM Post #6,293 of 10,347
Just getting back from SoCal CanJam where I used my DX320 as the main source to audition lots of gear. Shout out to @Whitigir as the AMP11Muse-XF is one magical amp! It has such a big, full, powerful, warm sound when paired with my IEMs. The clarity is next level and even gives off a sense of 2-channel speaker sound with my IEMs. It held up against all of the top tier daps I auditioned with a noticeable difference when compared to daps like the SP3000 (especially when auditioning the new Empire Ears Odyssey collab) which has lower power output. I had to ask the A&K reps if there was a gain setting I was missing as the sound didn't come close to DX320 with AMP11Muse-XF.

I do listen in high gain but I realize it is not necessary with all IEMs, I just love the dynamics and power you get with this setup. For headphones, I thought the Hifiman Edition XS sounded fantastic through the AMP11Muse-XF. Pleasantly surprised with the sound for a $499 pair of headphones but I'm sure the amp mod helped its case :) Do give this amp a chance if you're thinking of auditioning!

Sep 21, 2022 at 6:15 AM Post #6,294 of 10,347
Just getting back from SoCal CanJam where I used my DX320 as the main source to audition lots of gear. Shout out to @Whitigir as the AMP11Muse-XF is one magical amp! It has such a big, full, powerful, warm sound when paired with my IEMs. The clarity is next level and even gives off a sense of 2-channel speaker sound with my IEMs. It held up against all of the top tier daps I auditioned with a noticeable difference when compared to daps like the SP3000 (especially when auditioning the new Empire Ears Odyssey collab) which has lower power output. I had to ask the A&K reps if there was a gain setting I was missing as the sound didn't come close to DX320 with AMP11Muse-XF.

I do listen in high gain but I realize it is not necessary with all IEMs, I just love the dynamics and power you get with this setup. For headphones, I thought the Hifiman Edition XS sounded fantastic through the AMP11Muse-XF. Pleasantly surprised with the sound for a $499 pair of headphones but I'm sure the amp mod helped its case :) Do give this amp a chance if you're thinking of auditioning!
Thank you for your kind words!! Amazing comparison you have done there, and even against SP3000 as well! I will be saving this post for future references if you don’t mind.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #6,296 of 10,347
Oh my ghost, after a long period of using MangoOS, I come back to AndroidOS to find that Neutron and USB Players are all can not scan all my folders at once in the main MicroSD root, unless I have it all in one folder called “Music”
I have the same "problem" with Poweramp but it is an Android 10 thing. Just install another Neutron version (I use 2.21.1). Poweramp forum said to me:

"For the latest versions of Android, using Google's lovely user-friendly Storage Access Framework, they don't permit routine apps to grant access to an entire storage hierarchy (i.e. its root level) but only to specific named folders within that storage (which also allows access to subfolders). Just create a folder called 'My Music' and put everything in there.
You can bypass this restriction by using PA Settings=>Misc=>File Access legacy Mode, but there is no guarantee that will work forever as Google gets more and more Big Brother in its policies."

Sep 21, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #6,297 of 10,347
Ok, So! During the trip of my Amplifier modules. There are different impressions, some mentioned that it is too much trebles/bass, some said that it is magical. So, there are many contradicting impressions.

This bring me back into once again , the reasons for it, which I think is very well worth mentioning, The OS, and the Player App being used.

At this very moment, and the whole night to this morning, I have been trying to compare between the 3 greatest conditions:

1/ Android OS vs MangoOS
2/ USB player Pro VS Neutron VS Mango player
3/ Stock amp modules VS Modified modules

So, what do I find out ? Even with Stock Modules, you will observe a discernible audio differences between different play back apps. The differences will be elevated with modified module….because ….it was implemented so to retrieve the most fidelity that it can

Mango Player has a more neutral lower end than MangoOS itself, also an upper mid elevation

USB player pro has the most neutral signature throughout, the most detailed upper mid and more extended upper frequencies while the lower bass rolls off faster than all other conditions such as MangoOS, and next to NeutronOS. However, the Sub-bass rumbling is very well defined, this won’t be as discernible with stock modules, or even XF module….only the Burson module exposes this area of sub-bass this way. It also has the most resolving, the largest soundstage in all dimensions, width/depth/height, but then again, Neutron player is very close.

MangoOS is the one that has the depth, with the least upper mid, and the most bass/treble quantity or quality, with warmth. Most of my modules, and even stock modules, do see a discernible bass/trebles elevated performances. It is more discernible and elevated further with my modified modules. For example, my Burson module or Amp11A-B is wonderfully performing with USB Player Pro, while MangoOS bass has some distortions together with being elevated (it is tastefully so, but it is elevated)

The next up is Digital Filter with Dx320, which is harder to tell than Dx300. However, there is a differences between them, and with D2 having a more density, bass decay, sub bass rumbles than D1

Therefore, For anyone who is judging the Dx320/300 from either Stock modules, or modified modules, whether from me or Steve, please do yourself a favor and try all the different conditions for your player and chose the one that you favor the most, and that including MicroSD, if you cared enough (would be the last thing I cared about but…). Anyways, the only reason why there ar such huge differences on Dx320 especially, is because possibly the system is being so well built so well engineered that it can easily expose these differences which were not discernible a few years back!

Yes, MangoOS is the most dedicated OS and player, and it is the best for Stock module for sure, there is no question about it. However, my point being is that all of these app and OS do effect the sound performances in a discernible ways. The higher the quality of your hardware being implemented and engineered, the easier it can be exposed and observed. Yes!!!Dx320 has amazing hardware and implementations! Especially that ROHM!! It is an obvious upgrade to the Dx300

Also, last but not least, everything do effect your outcomes! This is why I am sending out for “auditions”, because no matter what, each of us have a very unique and special use case (our favorite genres/library/ the gears we favor….etc…)! Like MangoOS is so easy to get to and play through your library, and some just love USB-PP….etc…..Therefore, unique personal use cases, and personal preferences is a huge factor! Remember, nothing is right, nothing is wrong, only “You matter”!

(picture pulled off Google from an upcoming editionX)

448CF04A-260C-45E5-B37A-8AA73926BFD4.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #6,298 of 10,347
Ok, So! During the trip of my Amplifier modules. There are different impressions, some mentioned that it is too much trebles/bass, some said that it is magical. So, there are many contradicting impressions.

This bring me back into once again , the reasons for it, which I think is very well worth mentioning, The OS, and the Player App being used.

At this very moment, and the whole night to this morning, I have been trying to compare between the 3 greatest conditions:

1/ Android OS vs MangoOS

So, what do I find out ? Even with Stock Modules, you will observe a discernible audio differences between different play back apps. The differences will be elevated with modified module….because ….it was implemented so to retrieve the most fidelity that it can

Mango Player has a more neutral lower end than MangoOS itself, also an upper mid elevation

USB player pro has the most neutral signature throughout, the most detailed upper mid and more extended upper frequencies while the lower bass rolls off faster than all other conditions such as MangoOS, and next to NeutronOS. However, the Sub-bass rumbling is very well defined, this won’t be as discernible with stock modules, or even XF module….only the Burson module exposes this area of sub-bass this way. It also has the most resolving, the largest soundstage in all dimensions, width/depth/height, but then again, Neutron player is very close.

MangoOS is the one that has the depth, with the least upper mid, and the most bass/treble quantity or quality, with warmth. Most of my modules, and even stock modules, do see a discernible bass/trebles elevated performances. It is more discernible and elevated further with my modified modules. For example, my Burson module or Amp11A-B is wonderfully performing with USB Player Pro, while MangoOS bass has some distortions together with being elevated (it is tastefully so, but it is elevated)

The next up is Digital Filter with Dx320, which is harder to tell than Dx300. However, there is a differences between them, and with D2 having a more density, bass decay, sub bass rumbles than D1

Therefore, For anyone who is judging the Dx320/300 from either Stock modules, or modified modules, whether from me or Steve, please do yourself a favor and try all the different conditions for your player and chose the one that you favor the most, and that including MicroSD, if you cared enough (would be the last thing I cared about but…). Anyways, the only reason why there ar such huge differences on Dx320 especially, is because possibly the system is being so well built so well engineered that it can easily expose these differences which were not discernible a few years back!

Yes, MangoOS is the most dedicated OS and player, and it is the best for Stock module for sure, there is no question about it. However, my point being is that all of these app and OS do effect the sound performances in a discernible ways. The higher the quality of your hardware being implemented and engineered, the easier it can be exposed and observed. Yes!!!Dx320 has amazing hardware and implementations! Especially that ROHM!! It is an obvious upgrade to the Dx300

Also, last but not least, everything do effect your outcomes! This is why I am sending out for “auditions”, because no matter what, each of us have a very unique and special use case (our favorite genres/library/ the gears we favor….etc…)! Like MangoOS is so easy to get to and play through your library, and some just love USB-PP….etc…..Therefore, unique personal use cases, and personal preferences is a huge factor! Remember, nothing is right, nothing is wrong, only “You matter”!

448CF04A-260C-45E5-B37A-8AA73926BFD4.jpeg
Love your posts and work!

Sound preference is so individualized. The past few months of engaging again on Head-Fi have had me make some amazing sound preference realizations and purchases. One was a great purchase (the DX320), some others have me re-evaluating (and probably selling).

It's also a big coincidence....started thinking of re-visiting my player apps last week. It's a time consumer though....

Sep 21, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #6,299 of 10,347

1/ Android OS vs MangoOS

Yes, I have come to the same conclusion that UAPP provides more soundstage depth and width than Neutron player, this is why I stopped using Neutron and stuck with UAPP as it also has a far superior UI.

I really wish iBasso could perhaps update the MangoOS and add more navigation features as well as more menu options, becuase I feel that it is a burden to use when you are navigating through a large library of Artist/Albums.

Sep 21, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #6,300 of 10,347
My friend just received the plate in black color for the amp12 to match the color of the dx320.
It was packed like a dimond and the package also included 3 pairs of screws and screwdriver.
What an amazing service from IBasso, they really know how to treat their customers. They are better than many german companies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back