DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Sep 8, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #6,166 of 10,343
Hi guys and girls, I have 2 Amp 12's at NP Audio right now. I want to sell the blue one. Equipped with Audio Note Kaisei, Solen Caps and Poscaps. If anyone is interested, please pm. It's just the board.
Hello, I want to buy a dap on the npaudio website, what do you think? Thanks

Sep 8, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #6,172 of 10,343
I never believed I would even consider this, but for now I am keeping both my DX300 and DX320. The DX300 has my Amp13 (I just got Steve's 13EXN) and the DX320 has the Amp12 EXN-S w/ ADA4625-1. It's weird but I can't see enjoying my listening without both DAPs (for now)...
Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends

PS - Edited for clarity...

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #6,173 of 10,343
So for my personal DX320, the digital side was initially draining much quicker than the analog side when I first received it.

Now after letting the DX320 burn in on high gain while plugged in, volume level around 40, 10 hours a day, the digital side now drains far slower than before and is pretty consistent.
Not sure what happened but I guess a constant tug on the digital battery during the burn-in sort of evened everything out apparently.

Burning in my DX320 in this manner also has a profound change in the AMP module that I'm using. My AMP12W has had this treatment in the past (for a length of half a year was on my DX300 to drive speakers in my workplace) and the AMP12W tuning evened out with absolutely excellent emotion, dynamics and depth.

Burning in my AMP12 EXN2 right now and hopefully it will smooth out the fatigue I'm heard initially.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #6,174 of 10,343
So for my personal DX320, the digital side was initially draining much quicker than the analog side when I first received it.

Now after letting the DX320 burn in on high gain while plugged in, volume level around 40, 10 hours a day, the digital side now drains far slower than before and is pretty consistent.
Not sure what happened but I guess a constant tug on the digital battery during the burn-in sort of evened everything out apparently.

Burning in my DX320 in this manner also has a profound change in the AMP module that I'm using. My AMP12W has had this treatment in the past (for a length of half a year was on my DX300 to drive speakers in my workplace) and the AMP12W tuning evened out with absolutely excellent emotion, dynamics and depth.

Burning in my AMP12 EXN2 right now and hopefully it will smooth out the fatigue I'm heard initially.
I personally think that this fatigue you are hearing will not disappear with time. Its caused by: 1. Ibasso tuning which is quite forward in mids, 2. the ROHM chips which are very realistic in music presentation. I noticed that the ROHM chips are very truth to the life. And the life music is very very forward in mids and quite aggressive.
So its kinda you love it or hate it situation. You are paying the price for having a realistic soundstage in your head:)

Sep 8, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #6,175 of 10,343
I personally think that this fatigue you are hearing will not disappear with time. Its caused by: 1. Ibasso tuning which is quite forward in mids, 2. the ROHM chips which are very realistic in music presentation. I noticed that the ROHM chips are very truth to the life. And the life music is very very forward in mids and quite aggressive.
So its kinda you love it or hate it situation. You are paying the price for having a realistic soundstage in your head:)
Well, the real cymbal crashes are not supposed to be....comfortable ....lol!!!!

Sep 8, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #6,177 of 10,343

What are you listening with? I can't get enough of EXN2 with Stellia, I'm waiting to borrow one with the ADA4525 to compare. I think he uses Stellia.

Sep 8, 2022 at 7:28 PM Post #6,178 of 10,343
I think I can pin point what is causing the problem for me but I'm using the U12T surprisingly, the source of the over-energetic upper mids or even the mids can be associated with the "red caps" (not the one by the PSU) that are on the bottom of the amp board.

Thanks to a suggestion from someone who is very knowledgeable on the changes the components and caps can make, he is guessing that the forward upper mids is probably caused by the red caps, nothing wrong with this build, I'm sure people would be absolutely in love with this tuning, but it is just a bit too energetic for my tastes.

If possible I may have @Whitigir change a few caps and stuff to sort of fine tune it to my tastes since @Whitigir is outstanding at tuning the amps and is more closer to me for shipping, plus I think I prefer Whitigir's tuning concept.

That being said, I'm VERY wowed by the soundstage and overall presentation, I've never heard IEMs to have such a soundstage like I have heard on the EXN2, its shocking what portable audio is capable of now thanks to the fantastic discoveries of Steve, Whitigir and modders in general. I would just love to address the over energetic mids/upper mids in my particular case and if that can be done, it will put a huge smile on my face for months.

Will PM @Whitigir for advice later today.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #6,179 of 10,343
I think I can pin point what is causing the problem for me but I'm using the U12T surprisingly, the source of the over-energetic upper mids or even the mids can be associated with the "red caps" (not the one by the PSU) that are on the bottom of the amp board.

Thanks to a suggestion from @Maxx134 who is very knowledgeable on the changes the components and caps can make, he is guessing that the forward upper mids is probably caused by the red caps, nothing wrong with this build, I'm sure people would be absolutely in love with this tuning, but it is just a bit too energetic for my tastes.

If possible I may have @Whitigir change a few caps and stuff to sort of fine tune it to my tastes since @Whitigir is outstanding at tuning the amps and probably has more time at focusing on fine tuning amps than Steve does.

That being said, I'm VERY wowed by the soundstage and overall presentation, I've never heard IEMs have such a soundstage like I have heard on the EXN2, its shocking what portable audio is capable of now. I would just love to address the over energetic mids/upper mids in my particular case and if that can be done, it will put a huge smile on my face for months.

Will PM @Whitigir for advice later today.
Man dont be soft on your judgements. Its well known that IBasso tunes their daps pushing upper mids forward. Its dubbled by the ROHM dacs which are very realistic.
Im actually surprised by the fact that you have a problem with upper mids using the u12t which are tamed down in this area.
Why you just dont say that you dont like the sound?? You dont like it, its obvious. Why try to hide it behind a nice words?? It will not help anyone.
I think its an issue that started from the dx300. I remember that the dx200 and x220 didnt have this problem. They were a very linear sounding daps.
This is one of the main reasons why i moved to the Shanling players. They dont have this issue. Also the Fiio M11 Plus didnt have this problem.
There is an issue here cmon, just call it what it is.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back