DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Sep 6, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #6,151 of 10,347
I'm assuming many DX320 use the clear or clear dark TPU cases, the case provided by iBasso is actually really nice and premium but I prefer the tactile grip and protection provided by the TPU case. I'm sure with the light clear version, you should be able to see the chassis of the X-edition.
I bought the third party clear TPU case, but switched over to the clear case that comes with the Amp13 card because it fits just a tad better, and has a cutout for the micro SD card, though the buttons are much easier to accidentally press with this case.

I also have the blue case that came with mine (that was pretty much not so good), and the black case that came with the Amp12 card. But I never use the leather ones because they cover too much of the beauty of the device IMHO (though they ARE nice looking for sure).

Sep 6, 2022 at 10:49 PM Post #6,152 of 10,347
Well, you gotta have a clear TPU case if you want to see NuTube lights on the back; it was the reason why that case was included with amp13. But, I'm wondering if the size of Edition X chassis will be the same as OG DX320.

Sep 7, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #6,156 of 10,347
Any more details on these? Is soundstage wide, forward holographic, or spherical, etc.? How about micro dynamics?

Do you mean not a lot of sub-bass rumble? I prefer a good amount of rumble, but if the hyperrealism you mentioned is as good as some hi-fi speaker systems I've heard, it's actually good enough that I'd be willing to trade sub-bass rumble for.

So here's what I would say as far as more details. I don't think I will be saying anything unexpected here and descriptions of the soundstage I think are the hardest to provide as everyone seems to hear somewhat differently. I have also used Monarch II, Tia Trio, Sony IER-Z1R and MEST Indigo to get a feel for what the amp is putting out across different headphones but each IEM affects the soundstage, dynamics and EQ in its own way.

I would stick to my earlier descriptions of the overall feel of the amp through all the earphones and would say that this amp gives me a feel to the sound that is close to my Shanling M9. That is, treble is clear without being piercing and dynamics and micro-dynamics shine. You just feel the power and quickness in this amp. Bass also never muddy with clarity in the lower mids. I can't say though I feel A LOT of rumble outside of using the MEST Indigo with the transducer. There definitely is some nice transfer of the "feeling" from the bass which I do enjoy. Bass always pretty much stays controlled and clear.

I like the balance in the mids that Vince described he was going for. Bass never steps on the mids and clarity is retained while not being too thin. I personally could have used a bit more lower mids but that is personal preference more than anything. Vocals are very forward which can give a deceptive feel in that the singer feels a bit closer to you than other band members. Intimate music sounds beautiful.

For staging and layering, I would say that typically both are above average and great. With the IER-Z1R which I found already excels in staging, things get holographic and music when recorded properly can blow me away. With this setup Elton John's Madman Across the Water, Jackson Browne's catalogue and Death Cab For Cutie's Transatlanticism all gave me chills. Stereo placement across all IEMs was superb with the IER-Z1R's being a standout, the Monarch's placement was more linear forward to back, while the Tia Trio showed more spherical placement.

Layering always is great as I think the combination of the DX320 which already has above average layering coupled with the Amp 12 Ada-XF gets you even better layering. That is, instruments stay clear and separated even in busy passages and so you get a feel for how the instruments interact and work together. There are some rare times when things can sound just a tad thinner than expected because of the clarity but that does not happen often at all.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone. I can say that initially I was somewhat on the fence about whether to keep the module but I am at this point definitely leaning towards keeping it. The fact that the DX320 sounds very close to my M9 says a lot. I now am wondering if I really need it :shrug. YMMV and I am no expert reviewer. I just live for music like many of you.

ETA: Also would add, because there is such clarity in the treble, bad recordings are exposed. You will hear mixing/mastering mistakes and unwanted distortions in the music that you might say "What! what were they thinking?" You may also hear a bit of the recorded hiss from older recordings more than you might otherwise. I don't mind that but others might.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #6,157 of 10,347
So here's what I would say as far as more details. I don't think I will be saying anything unexpected here and descriptions of the soundstage I think are the hardest to provide as everyone seems to hear somewhat differently. I have also used Monarch II, Tia Trio, Sony IER-Z1R and MEST Indigo to get a feel for what the amp is putting out across different headphones but each IEM affects the soundstage, dynamics and EQ in its own way.

I would stick to my earlier descriptions of the overall feel of the amp through all the earphones and would say that this amp gives me a feel to the sound that is close to my Shanling M9. That is, treble is clear without being piercing and dynamics and micro-dynamics shine. You just feel the power and quickness in this amp. Bass also never muddy with clarity in the lower mids. I can't say though I feel A LOT of rumble outside of using the MEST Indigo with the transducer. There definitely is some nice transfer of the "feeling" from the bass which I do enjoy. Bass always pretty much stays controlled and clear.

I like the balance in the mids that Vince described he was going for. Bass never steps on the mids and clarity is retained while not being too thin. I personally could have used a bit more lower mids but that is personal preference more than anything. Vocals are very forward which can give a deceptive feel in that the singer feels a bit closer to you than other band members. Intimate music sounds beautiful.

For staging and layering, I would say that typically both are above average and great. With the IER-Z1R which I found already excels in staging, things get holographic and music when recorded properly can blow me away. With this setup Elton John's Madman Across the Water, Jackson Browne's catalogue and Death Cab For Cutie's Transatlanticism all gave me chills. Stereo placement across all IEMs was superb with the IER-Z1R's being a standout, the Monarch's placement was more linear forward to back, while the Tia Trio showed more spherical placement.

Layering always is great as I think the combination of the DX320 which already has above average layering coupled with the Amp 12 Ada-XF gets you even better layering. That is, instruments stay clear and separated even in busy passages and so you get a feel for how the instruments interact and work together. There are some rare times when things can sound just a tad thinner than expected because of the clarity but that does not happen often at all.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone. I can say that initially I was somewhat on the fence about whether to keep the module but I am at this point definitely leaning towards keeping it. The fact that the DX320 sounds very close to my M9 says a lot. I now am wondering if I really need it :shrug. YMMV and I am no expert reviewer. I just live for music like many of you.

ETA: Also would add, because there is such clarity in the treble, bad recordings are exposed. You will hear mixing/mastering mistakes and unwanted distortions in the music that you might say "What! what were they thinking?" You may also hear a bit of the recorded hiss from older recordings more than you might otherwise. I don't mind that but others might.
Excellent details!

Sep 7, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #6,158 of 10,347
Excellent details!
Agreed! As I said previously when people asked about the overall signature of Muse-XF or Ada-XF, they are both closer to Shanling House sound than Sony. However, with the ability to tailor it to excellency, these 2 modules are entertaining the most extreme components that is “unseen yet” from other portable systems. Yet, those are for being extreme and to break over the diminishing returns. Therefore, the values to performances will varied depends on your own preferences including (gears/genres/sound preferences). Needless to say that @hoth got it pin pointed. The module was tuned based on IER-Z1R and HD800S :)

Sep 7, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #6,159 of 10,347
Agreed! As I said previously when people asked about the overall signature of Muse-XF or Ada-XF, they are both closer to Shanling House sound than Sony. However, with the ability to tailor it to excellency, these 2 modules are entertaining the most extreme components that is “unseen yet” from other portable systems. Yet, those are for being extreme and to break over the diminishing returns. Therefore, the values to performances will varied depends on your own preferences including (gears/genres/sound preferences). Needless to say that @hoth got it pin pointed. The module was tuned based on IER-Z1R and HD800S :)

I didn't know that about how you tuned the XF and what you thought it sounded it like. Maybe my ears aren't so bad after all. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I think the sound is so much like the M9 but better layering and DX320 overall has better software, so might be getting rid of my M9 now.

Sep 8, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #6,160 of 10,347
I didn't know that about how you tuned the XF and what you thought it sounded it like. Maybe my ears aren't so bad after all. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I think the sound is so much like the M9 but better layering and DX320 overall has better software, so might be getting rid of my M9 now.
I can also understand this. From the time I had with the M8, they sound great, but they can be quiet as hot as Cayin….especially in a hot weather, inside the pocket. One of the main reason why I don’t opt to stay with Shanling.

Cayin Is also great, beside the fact that they can get just as hot as the Shanling, with an extra down side is that they are very strict about selling parts, and 3rd party modification. The reason why I don’t stay with Cayin either.

Now, I have had many different players, devices, systems, and playing, tweaking, tinkering. The reasons being is just so I will be able to squeeze every last drops from the system, while I can enjoy it Further. It isn’t cheap, but it is a cumulative experiences which further my ability in modifications.

The main reasons why I stay with Ibasso is that Ibasso is very friendly, you can buy virtually any parts, just as long as you/yourself are sure to be able to tackle the jobs!! With @Paul - iBasso being so amazingly fast, and responsive to his email. Not only that, being Modular, for example Dx300 and Dx320, they are interchangeable. But the foundation architecture are amazing. Even as powerful and power hungry as Amp12Ada-XF, the heat dissipation are not going to burn 🔥 or get dangerously hot at all. That much I can tell you. The performances is amazing, the battery get a bit of a run down, but the heat dissipation is still very comfortable to have and hold in your palm.

You can also have the option to go on for a bit longer, by using Amp11Muse-XF or Amp12EX on Dx300/320 to enjoy the most of the battery and play back time. But if you want to go all out, Amp12EXN-2 (with Ada opamps) from Steve, and or Amp12Ada-XF , will get you the most while still being very comfortable doing so

This will also be one of the reason why I am not so thrilled with even the next MAX product, be it Dx320Max or whatever….as long as it doesn’t have the interchangeable module….? But who know ? At this point, we know that the power supply and the integrate between modules are firmware controlled, with the battery packs being individually integrated by itself, Ibasso totally has the ability to create a MAX version, where the amp Modular systems will be utilized, could be a new modular designs….or using the one we already have (Well…or at least I am trying to convince myself so… LOL!)

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #6,161 of 10,347
I can also understand this. From the time I had with the M8, they sound great, but they can be quiet as hot as Cayin….especially in a hot weather, inside the pocket. One of the main reason why I don’t opt to stay with Shanling.

Cayin Is also great, beside the fact that they can get just as hot as the Shanling, with an extra down side is that they are very strict about selling parts, and 3rd party modification. The reason why I don’t stay with Cayin either.

Now, I have had many different players, devices, systems, and playing, tweaking, tinkering. The reasons being is just so I will be able to squeeze every last drops from the system, while I can enjoy it Further. It isn’t cheap, but it is a cumulative experiences which further my ability in modifications.

The main reasons why I stay with Ibasso is that Ibasso is very friendly, you can buy virtually any parts, just as long as you/yourself are sure to be able to tackle the jobs!! With @Paul - iBasso being so amazingly fast, and responsive to his email. Not only that, being Modular, for example Dx300 and Dx320, they are interchangeable. But the foundation architecture are amazing. Even as powerful and power hungry as Amp12Ada-XF, the heat dissipation are not going to burn 🔥 or get dangerously hot at all. That much I can tell you. The performances is amazing, the battery get a bit of a run down, but the heat dissipation is still very comfortable to have and hold in your palm.

You can also have the option to go on for a bit longer, by using Amp11Muse-XF or Amp12EX on Dx300/320 to enjoy the most of the battery and play back time. But if you want to go all out, Amp12EXN-2 (with Ada opamps) from Steve, and or Amp12Ada-XF , will get you the most while still being very comfortable doing so

This will also be one of the reason why I am not so thrilled with even the next MAX product, be it Dx320Max or whatever….as long as it doesn’t have the interchangeable module….? But who know ? At this point, we know that the power supply and the integrate between modules are firmware controlled, with the battery packs being individually integrated by itself, Ibasso totally has the ability to create a MAX version, where the amp Modular systems will be utilized, could be a new modular designs….or using the one we already have
I actually think that the dx312 EXN already sounded very close to the M9, especially with the D1 filter ON. Thats why i sent the M9 back because it was too neutral sounding and i didnt need 2 similarly tuned daps. When getting the M9 i was hoping for a typical Shanling M8 sound but i got quite bright sounding player. Sure, the M9 had bigger stage than the dx312EXN but it was just too bright and i even preferred the trebles on the 312 EXN because they sounded more natural to me.
When it comes to the heat dissipation, i agree 100%. IBasso did a great job with the dx320, it got hot very rarely, staying just warm most of the time.
The M8 can get quite hot, same the M9 (the M9 even more, its was a toaster sometimes).
Thats why i went with the M8- just a completely different signature. And i understand people who like thier sound on a more neutral side, going with the dx320 instead of the M9. The price leap is quite noticeable and difference in performance in quite small. And the tuining profile is similar.

Sep 8, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #6,162 of 10,347
I actually think that the dx312 EXN already sounded very close to the M9, especially with the D1 filter ON. Thats why i sent the M9 back because it was too neutral sounding and i didnt need 2 similarly tuned daps. When getting the M9 i was hoping for a typical Shanling M8 sound but i got quite bright sounding player. Sure, the M9 had bigger stage than the dx312EXN but it was just too bright and i even preferred the trebles on the 312 EXN because they sounded more natural to me.
When it comes to the heat dissipation, i agree 100%. IBasso did a great job with the dx320, it got hot very rarely, staying just warm most of the time.
The M8 can get quite hot, same the M9 (the M9 even more, its was a toaster sometimes).
Thats why i went with the M8- just a completely different signature. And i understand people who like thier sound on a more neutral side, going with the dx320 instead of the M9. The price leap is quite noticeable and difference in performance in quite small. And the tuining profile is similar.
That is spot on! There are a balances between airiness and density. The more airiness, the less density, the better the illustrated soundstage ! There can never be perfections LOL! These are the very limits of being portable and running off batteries. With Desktop, this balances and scales can stretch a few more miles LOL! However, within Portable systems, there are still some that are superior to others, by stretching this scale a little more….for example, AK and SP2K is all about airiness and least density for that amazing staging and separations (or so, as the many whom preferences are spot on in line with it tuning). Ibasso flagships are always up there with being superior and I am speaking in stock form ***

I am also very sorry for your losses here…as soon as you are realizing this scale existences, you may not stop seeking for the better system, and your wallet may suffer greatly ! Unless you don’t have a curious cat in your mind, then you are safe :)

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #6,163 of 10,347
That is spot on! There are a balances between airiness and density. The more airiness, the less density, the better the illustrated soundstage ! There can never be perfections LOL! These are the very limits of being portable and running off batteries. With Desktop, this balances and scales can stretch a few more miles LOL! However, within Portable systems, there are still some that are superior to others, by stretching this scale a little more….for example, AK and SP2K is all about airiness and least density for that amazing staging and separations (or so, as the many whom preferences are spot on in line with it tuning). Ibasso flagships are always up there with being superior and I am speaking in stock form ***

I am also very sorry for your losses here…as soon as you are realizing this scale existences, you may not stop seeking for the better system, and your wallet may suffer greatly ! Unless you don’t have a curious cat in your mind, then you are safe :)
I agree, a good desktop systems have both- the airiness and the the body to the notes. Also the bass is more powerfull most of the times.
But.. believe me or not, the M8 is the first dap ive tried that blurred the difference between daps and desktop systems for me. It has THE BASS power, its never sibilant, still being able to create a great, spacious soundstage with a very sophisticated layering. As i mentioned before, when i was in a audio shop 2 moths ago (and spent there 4 whole days) i even stopped comparing other daps to it and went directly to desktop systems, like the Fiio K9 Pro, Burson Conductor 3x, some SMSL DAC/AMP combos worth over 2k euros. And i and the seller preferred the M8 over them all, even with full sized headphones, like Aeon Noire, HD800s, Fostex TH610. He even wanted to purchase the M8 from me. The M8 has this warmish, organic quality which confronts desktop systems very successfully. Sorry, again about the M8:frowning2:

Sep 8, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #6,164 of 10,347
I agree, a good desktop systems have both- the airiness and the the body to the notes. Also the bass is more powerfull most of the times.
But.. believe me or not, the M8 is the first dap ive tried that blurred the difference between daps and desktop systems for me. It has THE BASS power, its never sibilant, still being able to create a great, spacious soundstage with a very sophisticated layering. As i mentioned before, when i was in a audio shop 2 moths ago (and spent there 4 whole days) i even stopped comparing other daps to it and went directly to desktop systems, like the Fiio K9 Pro, Burson Conductor 3x, some SMSL DAC/AMP combos worth over 2k euros. And i and the seller preferred the M8 over them all, even with full sized headphones, like Aeon Noire, HD800s, Fostex TH610. He even wanted to purchase the M8 from me. The M8 has this warmish, organic quality which confronts desktop systems very successfully. Sorry, again about the M8:frowning2:
Depends on the desktop systems :wink:, the sky is the limits when we are speaking of Desktop systems LOL! But I gotta agree that the M8 is a great DAP for sure! Shanling is Pretty good at their own stuff! No doubt

Sep 8, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #6,165 of 10,347
Depends on the desktop systems :wink:, the sky is the limits when we are speaking of Desktop systems LOL! But I gotta agree that the M8 is a great DAP for sure! Shanling is Pretty good at their own stuff! No doubt
Yes the desktop systems can be very intimidating, even if you have a dap worth 4000 bucks. But fortunately daps are very good these days and are getting better with every year! A very exciting times we live in!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back