What just happened?
I got an email from the DHL!

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20220604-110228_Gmail.jpg
    SmartSelect_20220604-110228_Gmail.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 0
Jun 4, 2022 at 5:16 AM Post #1,533 of 10,359
Air-Air and AIR, everywhere !

A quick take is that the amp12 is still an upgrade over the amp11 MKII-S. A quick visual inspections indicating that the Amp11 MKII-S is tuned differently than the other amp11 MKII, it has Vishay Film capacitors, and Ibasso custom made Aluminum Foils bypass capacitors.

Amp11 MKII-S is Still impressively made, a lot of hand soldered components. Especially the works to place the newly developed film capacitors.

Amp12 is still an improve over Amp11 MKII-S. So, if you really want to squeeze every bits out of your new DX320, then you should opt for Amp12, perhaps buy as a combo. Staging will be wider, and more airy. I do not have any hisses in high gain, but I am using it with headphones, so your mileages will varies, and better heed that warning from Ibasso regarding gain level

Sound signatures wise. This is different than the Dx300. The sound signatures is now more in line with the typical Ibasso that I have known and love from the get go, very detailed and neutral, with a great amount of air to everything. Textures are vivid, aggressive, with sharp edges, and greatly extended trebles. Bass are tight, very well controlled, separations and transients are much better than Dx300. But what is special about it is the amount of texture vividity even to the subtlest details, the instruments housing resonances and reverberations are spot on. I would say that this one has more neutral signatures than the N8ii, but with a more forgiving trebles textures as it is denser, fuller, and also does not spit in your ears when you have bad recordings, but it will still make sure that you do realize that you are feeding it a bad recordings.

I can hear that specialty of The ROHM chips which I suspected from N8ii, the wide bandwidth, excellent inner density, thick tonal balances but with dynamic and impacts, not simply just making sound in low-mid-high as a signatures, but rather more focused into the timbres dynamic delivery. **by using different modules** the tonal balances can be tweaked to one liking. I once said that N8ii had an amazing tonal balances, but thinking back and confirming with Dx320, I can confidently say that what grasped me was the expressiveness of the timbres dynamic delivery. I also suspected that it was the result of ROHM chips, and here I can Confirm that you will also hear it with dx320. I don’t call it the ROHM signatures, rather specialty, because it signatures are both AKM+ESS together.

If you ever thought of Dx300 to have some hint of tubes liquidity and warmth, then the Dx320 is more like a very high end Solid State amp. If you loved Ibass from the DX200/220 lines, you will not be disappointed, but I would say that this is Ibasso coming back and better than ever, you will definitely fall in love right out of the box. I know that I did and do!

Heat doesn’t generate as much as the N8ii, despite using the same dual chips set that are so power demanding and is Current output DAC chips. Defintely warmer than Dx300, but still comfortable in the palm

The N8ii is more musical, Dx320 is more analytical, but I would think that if you listen to a varieties like I do, the Dx320 while being analytical can also be very enjoyable due to the highs that is more forgiving toward the brightness of upper trebles in bad recordings (that is to put it politely). N8ii will have dual Korg tubes, and Dx320 has swappable modules but can also be said to be a lot more powerful with amp12 (approximately 250mW into 300 ohms VS N8ii with 160mW into 150 ohms). You can not go wrong with the Dx320 since it also carry on with ROHM chips as the N8ii. Previously when we had no choice, the N8ii was an amazing DAP in my opinions, but now with the Dx320 also carrying out that ROHM DNA as said, the 320 is an easy choice to make, which is also half the cost!

Additionally, in the heat generations department, Dx320 wins! The N8ii can cook ! The Dx320 will not cook anything :)

in conclusion, I guess you already know that I am back and in love with Ibasso*. This addictive house sound is now Back and better than previously, carrying that ROHM-DNA! Lady and gentleman

Congratulations on an amazing release @Paul - iBasso , this here is a winner

Finally, if you are on the fences about N8ii, both still carry different house sound, but if you want that ROHM specialty (timbres tonal dynamic delivery), then you have no choices but only these 2 DAPs. I recommend you to listen to both before you decide it, but Ibasso and dx320 is a winner . How ? Because tonal balances can be tweaked with more versatility on dx320 than the different features from N8ii, at 1/2 the price ? And Ibasso customer supports.

This out of the box impression will changes as this is just out of the box, but I doubt it would suddenly transform from a well groomed cat to a badly, furry, crazy looking cat either. So, I will not post any long impression for a while, because I am waiting for my DAP to be burned in, and enjoy watching, observing, how the cat is being groomed :). Then there are different modules to enjoy
you described the sound as aggressive, do you think "raw" fits the sound description too?

Jun 4, 2022 at 5:23 AM Post #1,534 of 10,359
I think it is related to the processing done on FCPGA and the DAC itself (upsampling, filtering). It is not instant, it introduces a delay. You get the same on ladder DACs. If this is the case then there is no way to solve it.
iBasso could mitigate it by introducing an artificial delay in video. Or you find a video player that has this option.
I don’t think You can delay the video from the external host. The video timing is from the host and it display , while the audio timing is toward the DAC and it own processing. At most, you can only minimize the latency, and this is upon the DAC-OS itself ? That is why I am doubting the M17 is excluded from this issues

Jun 4, 2022 at 5:27 AM Post #1,535 of 10,359
you described the sound as aggressive, do you think "raw" fits the sound description too?
I think i know what he meant. I wouldn't use word "raw" as it indicates rather pejorative meaning.
I think he meant that the textures are very present and i would connect it to the slight graininess ive heard on the Shanling m9. It's an impression of a very detailed sound. The dx300 is slightly smoother. But that's just my presumption. Will check it myself today.

Jun 4, 2022 at 5:37 AM Post #1,536 of 10,359
I don’t think You can delay the video from the external host. The video timing is from the host and it display , while the audio timing is toward the DAC and it own processing. At most, you can only minimize the latency, and this is upon the DAC-OS itself ? That is why I am doubting the M17 is excluded from this issues
I have the M17 and there is no delay whatsoever.

Jun 4, 2022 at 5:52 AM Post #1,537 of 10,359
I think i know what he meant. I wouldn't use word "raw" as it indicates rather pejorative meaning.
I think he meant that the textures are very present and i would connect it to the slight graininess ive heard on the Shanling m9. It's an impression of a very detailed sound. The dx300 is slightly smoother. But that's just my presumption. Will check it myself today.
oh interesting, i see raw as non-smoothed over, non-processed, non-compressed sound. basically playing a file the way it's meant to be without hiding anything, for better and worse. It's an experience i only got with the r2r2000 but am on the lookout if anything else can provide something similar with more power etc.

Jun 4, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #1,539 of 10,359
I'll get the Monarch MKII tomorrow. That's really nice here in Vietnam, the post comes 7 days a week. I'm really curious if Rigatio's infatuation is to be met or if he only sees it or hears it that way. Since I've had the DX 320, I've actually only been listening to music and sleeping a bit. The part is addicting!!! it's like re-discovering all my music from the last 35 years. I hear things I've never heard before. Fantastic. I don't miss DX312 W one bit

Jun 4, 2022 at 7:24 AM Post #1,540 of 10,359
The Dx320 is pretty amazing when you paired it with something warmer for that synergies. The one thing I can confirm with this pairing is that the level of bass articulations, layering and sub bass is simply mind blowing.

It would be up to your personal preferences, however listening to 2 polar opposites but very capable phones, one is more into bass and sub bass while another one is all about neutral, and sparkling highs, the Dx320 cover the entire bandwidth in an excellently balanced performances. This is similar to what I experienced from the N8ii. Once done right, the ROHM will just tell you the story of the recordings and your gears itself, nothing more from it own.
9CA898F0-4593-4A28-A2D2-F029E0519137.jpeg

Swapping modules around, the tonal balances will change toward a specific module differently, but that dynamic will not change.

From here, it further confirmed to me that the N8ii was induced with Cayin house sound. The Dx320 is completely Ibasso house sound.

I also got a confirmation that ROHM is very transparent as a DAC-IC that utilizes Sigma Delta as a topology. I used to believe that DAC don’t do much, beside their differences in sound signatures, and I would never be able to get this, the ability to express the timbres dynamic while not having a specific signatures of the conversions itself while applying sigma delta, aka antialiasing….to put it short, I have always wanting the ESS clarity and fidelity while having the AKM mid…or the balanced of both mixed up. Now, I have found my answer, the ROHM !!!
755302D8-928D-409A-826D-06389ED9F64B.jpeg
Once finding a greatly transparent and capable DAC, it leaves rolling in amplifier for that Tonal balances and signatures as you would like. This may be a pros and cons, Cayin stands on their ground, and Ibasso also do. In my opinion, even Cayin with so many different features, will not be as pronounce as rolling amp modules itself. Because, apparently, amplifier will effect the performances the most, in any setup or any system.

Therefore, I can’t say that I love Ibasso again and again enough !!! Especially for someone who love to experience, curious of mind, tinkering and tweaking !!! But what can be better to have an honest and transparent DAC together with a capable SOC , Dual OS ? Rolling amp modules, or modified modules together ?

I will say this, your journey will never end with DX320, because of how capable it is from the DAC transparency, the way Ibasso engineered it so that it is fully performing while not dissipating too much heat that would trigger temperature controls as a safety measurement, even staying inside the pocket, covered by the case, or listening and charging together. Pretty amazing to me how Ibasso managed this, the Temperature is about 37-40 Max
26EE82E8-6BA2-4DB4-87A6-82D67C5FB8BC.jpeg

Jun 4, 2022 at 7:31 AM Post #1,543 of 10,359
The Dx320 is pretty amazing when you paired it with something warmer for that synergies. The one thing I can confirm with this pairing is that the level of bass articulations, layering and sub bass is simply mind blowing.

It would be up to your personal preferences, however listening to 2 polar opposites but very capable phones, one is more into bass and sub bass while another one is all about neutral, and sparkling highs, the Dx320 cover the entire bandwidth in an excellently balanced performances. This is similar to what I experienced from the N8ii. Once done right, the ROHM will just tell you the story of the recordings and your gears itself, nothing more from it own.

Swapping modules around, the tonal balances will change toward a specific module differently, but that dynamic will not change.

From here, it further confirmed to me that the N8ii was induced with Cayin house sound. The Dx320 is completely Ibasso house sound.

I also got a confirmation that ROHM is very transparent as a DAC-IC that utilizes Sigma Delta as a topology. I used to believe that DAC don’t do much, beside their differences in sound signatures, and I would never be able to get this, the ability to express the timbres dynamic while not having a specific signatures of the conversions itself while applying sigma delta, aka antialiasing….to put it short, I have always wanting the ESS clarity and fidelity while having the AKM mid…or the balanced of both mixed up. Now, I have found my answer, the ROHM !!!

Once finding a greatly transparent and capable DAC, it leaves rolling in amplifier for that Tonal balances and signatures as you would like. This may be a pros and cons, Cayin stands on their ground, and Ibasso also do. In my opinion, even Cayin with so many different features, will not be as pronounce as rolling amp modules itself. Because, apparently, amplifier will effect the performances the most, in any setup or any system.

Therefore, I can’t say that I love Ibasso again and again enough !!! Especially for someone who love to experience, curious of mind, tinkering and tweaking !!! But what can be better to have an honest and transparent DAC together with a capable SOC , Dual OS ? Rolling amp modules, or modified modules together ?

I will say this, your journey will never end with DX320, because of how capable it is from the DAC transparency, the way Ibasso engineered it so that it is fully performing while not dissipating too much heat that would trigger temperature controls as a safety measurement, even staying inside the pocket, covered by the case, or listening and charging together. Pretty amazing to me how Ibasso managed this, the Temperature is about 37-40 Max
My points is that rolling Dx320 with amp modules are more exciting than other systems, even among Ibasso itself. The reason being is that the ROHM is so transparent, it will expose the Amp modules signatures clearly, without inducing it own (for example, ESS clarity and brightness or AKM warmth and velvety). Therefore, if you have always loving Ibasso transparent, neutral sound signature, look no further, the Dx320 as it current flagship in Portable and Modular DAP!

I can assure you that rolling amp modules have a very pronounced effects :D. Thank you @Paul - iBasso !! And also thank you ROHM !! What a great time to be a curious and tinkering enthusiast

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 7:32 AM Post #1,544 of 10,359
Th
Ok straight out of the box- dx320 vs dx312EXN, the 320 is better. Cleaner, less colored, staging bit bigger. Everything is very precise and crisp but somehow even more pleasing with the Monarchs MkII. More impressions to come.
Throw that 12 into 320 and see how it sounds...

Jun 4, 2022 at 7:37 AM Post #1,545 of 10,359
I'll get the Monarch MKII tomorrow. That's really nice here in Vietnam, the post comes 7 days a week. I'm really curious if Rigatio's infatuation is to be met or if he only sees it or hears it that way. Since I've had the DX 320, I've actually only been listening to music and sleeping a bit. The part is addicting!!! it's like re-discovering all my music from the last 35 years. I hear things I've never heard before. Fantastic. I don't miss DX312 W one bit

IMHO, anybody's infatuation with a pair of IEMs/headphones is subjectively based on what else they heard before and how it compares to that. Also, a pair up synergy plays a big part too. After all, what you are hearing is how a source shapes up and finetunes the baseline sound sig of your IEMs/headphones since only the latter one goes in your ears :D

So, are you hearing things with DX320 you haven't heard before with DX312? :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back