DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Jun 3, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #1,501 of 10,359
Air-Air and AIR, everywhere !

A quick take is that the amp12 is still an upgrade over the amp11 MKII-S. A quick visual inspections indicating that the Amp11 MKII-S is tuned differently than the other amp11 MKII, it has Vishay Film capacitors, and Ibasso custom made Aluminum Foils bypass capacitors.

Amp11 MKII-S is Still impressively made, a lot of hand soldered components. Especially the works to place the newly developed film capacitors.

Amp12 is still an improve over Amp11 MKII-S. So, if you really want to squeeze every bits out of your new DX320, then you should opt for Amp12, perhaps buy as a combo. Staging will be wider, and more airy. I do not have any hisses in high gain, but I am using it with headphones, so your mileages will varies, and better heed that warning from Ibasso regarding gain level

Sound signatures wise. This is different than the Dx300. The sound signatures is now more in line with the typical Ibasso that I have known and love from the get go, very detailed and neutral, with a great amount of air to everything. Textures are vivid, aggressive, with sharp edges, and greatly extended trebles. Bass are tight, very well controlled, separations and transients are much better than Dx300. But what is special about it is the amount of texture vividity even to the subtlest details, the instruments housing resonances and reverberations are spot on. I would say that this one has more neutral signatures than the N8ii, but with a more forgiving trebles textures as it is denser, fuller, and also does not spit in your ears when you have bad recordings, but it will still make sure that you do realize that you are feeding it a bad recordings.

I can hear that specialty of The ROHM chips which I suspected from N8ii, the wide bandwidth, excellent inner density, thick tonal balances but with dynamic and impacts, not simply just making sound in low-mid-high as a signatures, but rather more focused into the timbres dynamic delivery. **by using different modules** the tonal balances can be tweaked to one liking. I once said that N8ii had an amazing tonal balances, but thinking back and confirming with Dx320, I can confidently say that what grasped me was the expressiveness of the timbres dynamic delivery. I also suspected that it was the result of ROHM chips, and here I can Confirm that you will also hear it with dx320. I don’t call it the ROHM signatures, rather specialty, because it signatures are both AKM+ESS together.

If you ever thought of Dx300 to have some hint of tubes liquidity and warmth, then the Dx320 is more like a very high end Solid State amp. If you loved Ibass from the DX200/220 lines, you will not be disappointed, but I would say that this is Ibasso coming back and better than ever, you will definitely fall in love right out of the box. I know that I did and do!

Heat doesn’t generate as much as the N8ii, despite using the same dual chips set that are so power demanding and is Current output DAC chips. Defintely warmer than Dx300, but still comfortable in the palm

The N8ii is more musical, Dx320 is more analytical, but I would think that if you listen to a varieties like I do, the Dx320 while being analytical can also be very enjoyable due to the highs that is more forgiving toward the brightness of upper trebles in bad recordings (that is to put it politely). N8ii will have dual Korg tubes, and Dx320 has swappable modules but can also be said to be a lot more powerful with amp12 (approximately 250mW into 300 ohms VS N8ii with 160mW into 150 ohms). You can not go wrong with the Dx320 since it also carry on with ROHM chips as the N8ii. Previously when we had no choice, the N8ii was an amazing DAP in my opinions, but now with the Dx320 also carrying out that ROHM DNA as said, the 320 is an easy choice to make, which is also half the cost!

Additionally, in the heat generations department, Dx320 wins! The N8ii can cook ! The Dx320 will not cook anything :)

in conclusion, I guess you already know that I am back and in love with Ibasso*. This addictive house sound is now Back and better than previously, carrying that ROHM-DNA! Lady and gentleman

Congratulations on an amazing release @Paul - iBasso , this here is a winner

Finally, if you are on the fences about N8ii, both still carry different house sound, but if you want that ROHM specialty (timbres tonal dynamic delivery), then you have no choices but only these 2 DAPs. I recommend you to listen to both before you decide it, but Ibasso and dx320 is a winner . How ? Because tonal balances can be tweaked with more versatility on dx320 than the different features from N8ii, at 1/2 the price ? And Ibasso customer supports.

This out of the box impression will changes as this is just out of the box, but I doubt it would suddenly transform from a well groomed cat to a badly, furry, crazy looking cat either. So, I will not post any long impression for a while, because I am waiting for my DAP to be burned in, and enjoy watching, observing, how the cat is being groomed :). Then there are different modules to enjoy

Jun 3, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #1,502 of 10,359

A quick take is that the amp12 is still an upgrade over the amp11 MKII-S. A quick visual inspections indicating that the Amp11 MKII-S is tuned differently than the other amp11 MKII, it has Vishay Film capacitors, and Ibasso custom made Aluminum Foils bypass capacitors.

Amp11 MKII-S is Still impressively made, a lot of hand soldered components. Especially the works to place the newly developed film capacitors.

Amp12 is still an improve over Amp11 MKII-S. So, if you really want to squeeze every bits out of your new DX320, then you should opt for Amp12, perhaps buy as a combo. Staging will be wider, and more airy. I do not have any hisses in high gain, but I am using it with headphones, so your mileages will varies, and better heed that warning from Ibasso regarding gain level

Sound signatures wise. This is different than the Dx300. The sound signatures is now more in line with the typical Ibasso that I have known and love from the get go, very detailed and neutral, with a great amount of air to everything. Textures are vivid, aggressive, with sharp edges, and greatly extended trebles. Bass are tight, very well controlled, separations and transients are much better than Dx300. But what is special about it is the amount of texture vividity even to the subtlest details, the instruments housing resonances and reverberations are spot on. I would say that this one has more neutral signatures than the N8ii, but with a more forgiving trebles textures as it is denser, fuller, and also does not spit in your ears when you have bad recordings, but it will still make sure that you do realize that you are feeding it a bad recordings.

I can hear that specialty of The ROHM chips which I suspected from N8ii, the wide bandwidth, excellent inner density, thick tonal balances but with dynamic and impacts, not simply just making sound in low-mid-high as a signatures, but rather more focused into the timbres dynamic delivery. **by using different modules** the tonal balances can be tweaked to one liking. I once said that N8ii had an amazing tonal balances, but thinking back and confirming with Dx320, I can confidently say that what grasped me was the expressiveness of the timbres dynamic delivery. I also suspected that it was the result of ROHM chips, and here I can Confirm that you will also hear it with dx320. I don’t call it the ROHM signatures, rather specialty, because it signatures are both AKM+ESS together.

If you ever thought of Dx300 to have some hint of tubes liquidity and warmth, then the Dx320 is more like a very high end Solid State amp. If you loved Ibass from the DX200/220 lines, you will not be disappointed, but I would say that this is Ibasso coming back and better than ever, you will definitely fall in love right out of the box. I know that I did and do!

Heat doesn’t generate as much as the N8ii, despite using the same dual chips set that are so power demanding and is Current output DAC chips. Defintely warmer than Dx300, but still comfortable in the palm

The N8ii is more musical, Dx320 is more analytical, but I would think that if you listen to a varieties like I do, the Dx320 while being analytical can also be very enjoyable due to the highs that is more forgiving toward the brightness of upper trebles in bad recordings (that is to put it politely). N8ii will have dual Korg tubes, and Dx320 has swappable modules but can also be said to be a lot more powerful with amp12 (approximately 250mW into 300 ohms VS N8ii with 160mW into 150 ohms). You can not go wrong with the Dx320 since it also carry on with ROHM chips as the N8ii. Previously when we had no choice, the N8ii was an amazing DAP in my opinions, but now with the Dx320 also carrying out that ROHM DNA as said, the 320 is an easy choice to make, which is also half the cost!

Additionally, in the heat generations department, Dx320 wins! The N8ii can cook ! The Dx320 will not cook anything :)

in conclusion, I guess you already know that I am back and in love with Ibasso*. This addictive house sound is now Back and better than previously, carrying that ROHM-DNA! Lady and gentleman

Finally, if you are on the fences about N8ii, both still carry different house sound, but if you want that ROHM specialty (timbres tonal dynamic delivery), then you have no choices but only these 2 DAPs. I recommend you to listen to both before you decide it, but Ibasso and dx320 is a winner . How ? Because tonal balances can be tweaked with more versatility on dx320 than the different features from N8ii, at 1/2 the price ? And Ibasso customer supports.

This out of the box impression will changes as this is just out of the box, but I doubt it would suddenly transform from a well groomed cat to a badly, furry, crazy looking cat either. So, I will not post any long impression for a while, because I am waiting for my DAP to be burned in, and enjoy watching, observing, how the cat is being groomed :). Then there are different modules to enjoy
I have found with burn in, the analytical melds with musicality. I find the DX320 to be every bit as musical as the N8ii but with a little better mids and bass. But you need, as you know, to burn in the DX320. Also, I find that the soundstage is larger with the DX320. IMO

Jun 3, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #1,503 of 10,359
I have found with burn in, the analytical melds with musicality. I find the DX320 to be every bit as musical as the N8ii but with a little better mids and bass. But you need, as you know, to burn in the DX320. Also, I find that the soundstage is larger with the DX320. IMO
Even Dx300 had larger staging than N8ii, the N8ii had better tonal balances and dynamic than Dx300. That is why I could hardly wait for Dx320 😋

Cheer to burning in !!

Jun 3, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #1,505 of 10,359

Wow, this is almost a full review! Thanx.

Jun 3, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #1,506 of 10,359
Personally, I won't try the AMP12, the 13 is coming quickly and could be a surprise.
And maybe behind there will be a 12-2s or an amp14 well above (like the AMP8 with the DX200) and which will be specific to the DX320

Jun 3, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #1,507 of 10,359
This deal was enough for me to pull the trigger!

Discount already on a brand new device, count me in! Gonna hopefully be a great upgrade from my DX220 and also going to be interested to see how it compares to the 'magic' sounds of my Calyx M and my DTR1.
Yep, I also succumbed to temptation. Had been in the market for a new DAP for a while to replace my geriatric and temperamental QP1r, and was thinking of the DX240. However, this seemed like it might be too good to miss. Finger crossed, we’ll see…

Jun 3, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #1,508 of 10,359
How about DX322EXS? or DX332EXS (DX320 +12EXS)

See to many options
And what about 323EX, EXN, EXS ... 🤔

Awaiting for someone
This is the new Amp12EX-S, using the "silver sound" model caps, correct?!
:)

The new amp11s of the dx320 is using same Vishay films that the EXNP board versions use, but then use yellow films also in middle buffer stage, while EXNP uses caps at input stage.

I am of the opinion that ibasso yellow film caps implemented are responsible for the current dx320 sound.

In comparison, the EXNP mod's combination of using lower noise SMD parts, and caps at input stage, will benefit the higher output of the dx320 more, while also having the same Vishay film caps at the ouput.
Not to mention the 320 can take advantage of the more beefy PSU caps on "EXNP" & EX boards.

Here is an example of EXNP mod:
20220516_160055.jpg

The dx320 has a louder output into the amp boards than the dx300.
It's like a whole gain setting higher. The unit sounds more powerful and dynamic this way as well.

So no matter how wonderful the new stock amp is, the dx320 can still go even higher in performance with modded boards...

So if there was any opinion that the dx320 cannot eclipse a N8ii...🤨🧐🤔🤫
hehee😈

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #1,509 of 10,359
Just received mine. The lip sync is way off when watching music videos. No issues with my M17. What’s up with that?

Jun 3, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #1,510 of 10,359

The new amp11s of the dx320 is using same Vishay films that the EXNP board versions use, but then use yellow films also in middle buffer stage, while EXNP uses caps at input stage.
I am of the opinion that these yellow caps are implemented for the current dx320 sound.

In comparison, the combination of EXNP using lower noise SMD parts, and caps at input stage, will benefit the higher output of the dx320 more, while also having the Vishay films at ouput.
Not to mention the 320 can take advantage of the more beefy PSU caps on EXNP boards.
20220516_160055.jpg
It's like a whole gain setting higher. The unit sounds more powerful and dynamic this way as well.

So no matter how wonderful the new stock amp is, the dx320 can still go even higher in performance with modded boards...

hehee😈
Partially yes
But no 2x NuTube and Balanced
Do you need it ?
Probably not but ... 😅

Jun 3, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #1,511 of 10,359

I am of the opinion that these yellow caps are implemented for the current dx320 sound.

In comparison, the combination of EXNP using lower noise SMD parts, and caps at input stage, will benefit the higher output of the dx320 more, while also having the Vishay films at ouput.
Not to mention the 320 can take advantage of the more beefy PSU caps on EXNP boards.
20220516_160055.jpg

hehee😈

Woa great mode that looks very interesting too all kaisei caps woooshy wooshy how does it sound like?

Jun 3, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #1,513 of 10,359
Woa great mode that looks very interesting too all kaisei caps woooshy wooshy how does it sound like?
I have this mod and its a quite a big step up from the stock 11.2. The sound is more organic, less sharp but very clean. Deeper bass and very holographic soundtage.
Will check my amp12EXN with the dx320 on Tuesday.

Jun 3, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #1,514 of 10,359
I have this mod and its a quite a big step up from the stock 11.2. The sound is more organic, less sharp but very clean. Deeper bass and very holographic soundtage.
Will check my amp12EXN with the dx320 on Tuesday.

Mannn I wish I could have an amp EX 😅 the kaisei are among the best caps I can think of probably from my experience when modifying the wm1z 🤪 that was crazy times hehe.

I have ti say @Maxx134 has a very clean surgically well done job there 😄😃

Jun 3, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #1,515 of 10,359
Mannn I wish I could have an amp EX 😅 the kaisei are among the best caps I can think of probably from my experience when modifying the wm1z 🤪 that was crazy times hehe.

I have ti say @Maxx134 has a very clean surgically well done job there 😄😃
This is the EXN mod, not EX. EX has different caps used and is fully performed by @Whitigir. EXN is done by NP Audio from the UK by Steven. This is their take on the fabulous mod EX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back