Dx320 optimizing discussions
Jun 10, 2022 at 11:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 105

Whitigir

Member of the Trade: Portable Modder
Hello folks! Welcome to Dx320 owners club! Here we are reserved for ”tips” and ”guides”, or “discoveries” that can help us to further realizing the potentials of our amazing portable player, the Dx320.

disclosure: sound performance is subjective, you don’t have to agree with me, but if you have found my posts useful. Then you may also find this one just as useful

First of all, allows me to just summing up the sound performances of Dx320: Neutral signatures, Airiness, great articulations and imaging, excellent fidelity textures, without Sibilants or harshness. If you fell in love with Dx200/220, 2Max, and felt like was let down by Dx300 release, then Dream no further, the Dx320 is Ibasso house sound coming back, even better than ever. You will not go wrong with it, and we all know how vastly the amplifier modular can alter the sound signatures of the overall system. However, the Dx320 with stock amp module is a very capable player. The Dx320 has greater room to improve with Amp12 (hence the points of being modular! Of course more exciting modules will come)

AndroidOS: The best way to listen to your AndroidOS is actually by Neutron optimized settings.

1/ download Google Play store from APK pure . Log in, download Neutron. You may have to keep connecting to WiFi for about 15 minutes and playing music, so neutron can upload it registered key to unlock itself

*Notice*. For now, Neutron will not work until you tick up 64 bit processor. This will be your primary steps

2/ Scanning your music, wait for it to be done

3/ primary steps

Setting > playback > 64-bit Processing . Then tap out and swipe up to close the app completely

4/ Serting > playback > Resampling > Audiophile

5/ setting > connection and controls > stop it output detached > click on play if output attached setting > turn all of them off

6/ Audio Hardware > pull all latency down to 8/2, the lowest you can, whatever !

Upmix On
Dither Off
Ultrasonic filter Off
Hardware gain Off
Audio Focus On
Direct USB access On
DSD over PCM On
OverSampling On —-> 16X !
Follow Source frequency On

Don’t forget to turn off all wireless! Later there will be root, and core controls, disabling background , bloatware to enjoy the Dx320 even more!
Welcome to the greater way to enjoy your android player !

Digital filters : D2 or slow roll off
DSD filter: High

MangoOS:

This is for purist, if you don’t want to bother about Neutron and android, then this is out of the box, the better way to enjoy your DX320.

Regarding the firmware upgrades: there are 2 versions by far, the original at Dx320 is shipped with. You can find it being uploaded and shared by Ibasso, if you download it, chrome may not work (in my case it didn’t, I had to use explorer)

Original firmware had a better balances overall in tonal balances, timbres dynamic delivery than the newer firmware. I tried to withstand the newer firmware for a whole day, also swapping out modules, even tweaking the modules….it didn’t work the way I wanted, it just sounded wrong, and I am not going to spell it out here. If you agree with me, then please consider rolling back your firmware

Ibasso provided a tool that you can and will use to Root your Dx320 later as well. Though, doing this will be at your own risk. But you can not brick it, unless you are doing something so abruptly….like updating firmware with the tool and yank your your USB cables whatsoever LOL
http://www.ibasso.com/uploadfiles/download/660playerupgradetools.zip
http://www.ibasso.com/uploadfiles/download/DX320_20220512_2.00.707_128G_img.zip

At the time I am creating this thread, my best performances from this combination with Dx320 is : Oldest original firmware, Neutron settings as above ! and modified-Amp12 . No, you don’t have to have a modified Amp12 to enjoy the Dx320. I would only be recommending it because there is a way to be different, unique, possibly and upgrade over the Stock Amp12, as we all know that sound performances is subjective, and so all of whatever I am posting here as well. You may or may not agree with me. But I strongly recommend you to buy Dx320 and Amp12 together. That will be the best of what Dx320 can offer for now

Note*. The Amp12 may have problems with some ultra sensitive iems and high-gain as warned by Ibasso. I have no problems with it, but if anyone do, please post up

I hope to create this thread to further improving all of the Dx320 features, and what it can offer.

Updated: Root Guide
Dx320 Rooting guide

Disclaimers: I am not too well versed into these rooting and hacking process. Therefore, if you found a great way to contribute further more, feel free to do so. Also, if I can do this with my eyes closed, then you can also do it. You can not brick the dx320 that easily, it is almost foolproof and immuned. But that doesn’t mean that you are guaranteed safe. So proceed with precautions. Just like any standard practices from all manufacturers, tinkering with firmware May void your warranty. But who is to say that you can not roll back to stock firmware, and if so, who is to tell ? After all, Ibasso provided those tools to do so as well.

Tools needed:

Ibasso official tools provided, including the fire-hose and img. You can click on these link

http://www.ibasso.com/uploadfiles/download/660playerupgradetools.zip

http://www.ibasso.com/uploadfiles/download/DX320_20220512_2.00.707_128G_img.zip

Official Qualcomm tools :

qfiltool.com/category/download

Now! Remember, that you will need to install usb drivers for android on your PC. This guide is also for PC and not Max or apples. To simplify this process, you can find it easily with Google .

Once you are done installing all the tools needed, you will need to keep these practices in mind

To enter Dx320 into EDL:

*turn it off

*holding play button + plugging in a usb C cable

To enter Boot loader and factory reset:

*Turn it off

*hold Play + Forward (backward, depends on your configuration) + USB Cables

Also, After each firmware installed, please set it up, and perform a factory reset right after. This will make sure to clear all the left over of whatever. I have found that in some instances, the sound remains unchanged, with some bugs, due to not performing the factory reset as a practice. Doing so will wipe out your settings, and downloaded apps. It is a pain, but it is needed

Procedures

Have your 320 into EDL mode

Open up QFIL

Pick a port

Choose EMMC (lower right corner)

Choose Flat build (upper left corner)

Pick your fire-hose file as provided by Ibasso (you just need to locate into the designated folder where you downloaded it to). The tool will automatically see that file, you only need to select it

Pick your XML, similar to above

Go to upper left corner, pick Tool >> Partition Manager . The tool will start reading in a couple minutes. You will see a list of what your device firmware has as a root files

*****Choose Boot A, and Boot B, you only need to chose one. But once you flash back the rooted Img, you will need to flash toward both of them a/b

After choosing Boot A or B, right click on it, choose “manage partition Data”

Then “read data”. Your file is now read and stored in a specific location, follow the tools and it detailed process, pull this file out, and “copy”

Turn on your Dx320, then Paste this “copied Boot file” into your Root folder of internal storage

Download Magiskdisk (remember, you always need this magisdisk to have your rooted android working properly)

After installing this MagiskDisk, open it up, choose “install”, then locate the previous extracted Boot file, which you copied from your PC into the root folder on Dx320 by selecting “select and patch a file”. The very first option, and proceed

You will get a message that The file is patched, try to locate it by connecting to your PC, then copy this file, and paste it into a specific folder on your PC.

Now, repeat these above steps, until “*****”, then when you are in “manage partition data”. You choose “Load Image” instead of “read data”. Then locate the file you just used Magisk to Patch and copied toward your PC, load it up into both partition of Boot A and B. Then restart

Voila’, congratulations, your Dx320 is now Rooted

Further improving the performances : The next program you will need is a “Kernal Control program”.

https://smartpack-kernel-manager.en.uptodown.com/android

Install this, and grant super user access permanently

Now, assign the core processing, remember to turn on Apply on boot features. Sometimes it may get bugged out. Then you just need to manually enable these settings again, should you happened to did a restart or swapping OS to MangoOS and so on.

Top left corner, open up the Menu

Go to Misc

GPU

Max frequencies 266

Minimum 160

Governor : power save

Back to setting

CPU

CPU sets Audio-Apps CPU to core 4-7

Leave the rest as is

Back to menu, select CPU

CPU Max frequencies 2208Khz

CPU Minimum frequencies 2150Khz

CPU Governor : Performances

Pull lower and you see little cpu usage

Max frequencies 1536

Minimum 633

Governor : power save

Congratulations! You have successfully assigning the cores and further improving your digital battery, together with performances.

For some reasons, these tweaks also effects the MangoOS as well, but whatever.

Enjoy your rooted Dx320!

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #2 of 105
Next we need post on optimizing Android. Although it is stripped down, app services may use up battery unnecessarily.
So far, I went into all apps, deciding whether to turn off these two options:

1-apps&notifications/Battery/ background restriction.
2- apps&notifications/ background data.
I turned these off for almost all apps except the music players

Many users getting various battery drainage and I believe its from google.
So also go into :
Accounts/your google adress/ account sync. Turn off sync, as you don't need phone/calendar, etc sync on..

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #3 of 105
Original firmware had a better balances overall in tonal balances, timbres dynamic delivery than the newer firmware.
If I use the MangoOS instead of Android+Neutron, will the newer firmware still affect the sound?

Is the only way to roll back to original firmware to root the DX320?

If I newly purchased the DX320, will it be in the original firmware, meaning I do not have to root it?

What is the sound difference between the AMP12 vs AMP12EX vs AMP12EXN?

Jun 11, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #4 of 105
If I use the MangoOS instead of Android+Neutron, will the newer firmware still affect the sound?

Is the only way to roll back to original firmware to root the DX320?

If I newly purchased the DX320, will it be in the original firmware, meaning I do not have to root it?

What is the sound difference between the AMP12 vs AMP12EX vs AMP12EXN?

Yes, mango Os had similar performances and differences as Android and mango app

You don’t need to root the dx320 to roll back. You do need the tool and img provided by Ibasso as above

It should ? I assume for now they were shipped with org, otherwise you can always rollback

For amp differences, you can refer to the main thread and do a search :)

Jun 12, 2022 at 4:38 AM Post #6 of 105
Thanks. I forgot to ask something important. Does iBasso give fixes via firmware updates? Specifically, if they ever manage to fix the audio/video sync issue, will we get the fix if we stay on the original firmware?

Jun 12, 2022 at 6:23 AM Post #7 of 105
Thanks. I forgot to ask something important. Does iBasso give fixes via firmware updates? Specifically, if they ever manage to fix the audio/video sync issue, will we get the fix if we stay on the original firmware?
The main thread is the best place to ask these questions :wink:

the next steps to optimizing your dx320 with adb

no root needed: this will debloat your dx320 in AndroidOS hence better battery life and performances . About 50 bloateares were uninstalled, and Dx320 no longer running on 1.7Gb RAM constantly, it is now about 1.3Gb RAM in the back ground

you will need adb platform tool.

plug in your dx320 at on stage

follow these commands then restart as found here. Just copy all and paste to execute all at once

https://npaudio.boards.net/post/3834/thread

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #8 of 105
For neutron player

Please do not use replay gain, it brings heavy distortions and degradations
Good tip thanks.

I may have found another tip.
Whitigir, can you verify this?:
When tapping out of neutron (to run in background), I experienced some clipping or skipping.
20220612_154805.jpg
Like when shrinking app to select something else.

So I was going over settings, and noticed when I changed the optimization settings to this service:
20220612_154410.jpg

So I changed the "Green" setting to not be optimized, by the "battery optimization settings".
That has worked for me for Neutron player skipping in background.

Jun 12, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #9 of 105
Good tip thanks.

I may have found another tip.
Whitigir, can you verify this?:
When tapping out of neutron (to run in background), I experienced some clipping or skipping.
20220612_154805.jpg
Like when shrinking app to select something else.

So I was going over settings, and noticed when I changed the optimization settings to this service:
20220612_154410.jpg
So I changed the "Green" setting to not be optimized, by the "battery optimization settings".
That has worked for me for Neutron player skipping in background.
Possibly happened with stock non-rooted

Rooted, I could assigned cores processor and it speed toward neutron. Therefore, I don’t have it happened. I will have a guide to rooting it soon

Jun 12, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #10 of 105
If you love neutron and AndroidOS, you should try to debloat it . I only use APK pure for 1 single purpose, and that is to install goole play. Afterward, I uninstalled it .
There is also an app in what I believe in chinese letters next to it, with an antenna/dish type Icon. I don't know what it is and when I open I see it look like a Chinese version of that APK app, so I also deleted that one too. 👍

Jun 12, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #12 of 105
The main thread is the best place to ask these questions :wink:

the next steps to optimizing your dx320 with adb

no root needed: this will debloat your dx320 in AndroidOS hence better battery life and performances . About 50 bloateares were uninstalled, and Dx320 no longer running on 1.7Gb RAM constantly, it is now about 1.3Gb RAM in the back ground

you will need adb platform tool.

plug in your dx320 at on stage

follow these commands then restart as found here. Just copy all and paste to execute all at once

https://npaudio.boards.net/post/3834/thread
I clicked link and saw the important post, but the thread said N8ii, so I'm assuming it applies because they have same OS & bloatware.

Jun 13, 2022 at 2:06 AM Post #14 of 105
This is a great thread, I'm glad Whitigir made it. I look forward to the best practices and settings put here.
I'm on the lookout for an app that will halt charging at 90% charged to preserve battery life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back