DX260 Digital Audio Player, a New avenue to your music. Preorders have started. Easily replaceable battery. NEW Firmware Update! 2.02
May 1, 2024 at 9:41 AM Post #872 of 971
What I like in the DX260 is, that it doesn't really alter the intended sound signature of an attached headphone. It's so close to neutral and well resolving that you truly get what the sound engineers wanted their developed headphone to sound.
Completely agree with this and, for this alone, I would happily recommend the DX260. It's a pleasure to be able to switch IEMs and hear their personalities without little to no colouration.

May 1, 2024 at 10:42 AM Post #873 of 971
I like the big open layered soundstage of the DX260. It is just a joy to use. IEMs really open up nicely with it and headphones are driven well.

May 1, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #874 of 971
I have not heard the meze empyrean but I would take the Dx260. Its very neutral compared to the M7. Easier to match. And its the smallest and cheapest I think of them all. But there is also the new Fiio

I have not heard the meze empyrean but I would take the Dx260. Its very neutral compared to the M7. Easier to match. And its the smallest and cheapest I think of them all. But there is also the new Fiio M23.
Is the dx260 bass is better than dx170?
I’m kinda like textured, tight bass.
DX260 is very tempting, everybody claim the best value dap you can get for your money.
I just really want a big upgrade after my Dx170.

May 1, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #875 of 971
To me, there is a big difference between the DX170, which I enjoy, and the DX260. The DX260 just sounds different and has a wonderful musical quality to it. To me, it is unlike any other dap I have heard and in a good way.

First, I'd like to quote jamato8 on that topic, he seems to have a short but very telling comparison which I don't, since I never had the chance to A/B thge 170. But what I definitely can tell you is that the 260 is even enthusiastically rendering textured, energetic/tight bass... when it's in the recording.

May 1, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #876 of 971
Sorry for nearly "spamming" the thread with my posts here, but I am just so happy with the purchase of the 260 :L3000:

Here's an excerpt of a review from Alex Schiffer over at majorhifi.com:
"Sound Impressions
Players from iBasso contain some of my favorite sound reproduction for these devices. Past players like the DX320 and DX170 have brought natural output containing sharper precision and unveiled detail retrieval. They are known for their neutral timbre, but the sound profile never comes across as cold or clinical. This is all true for the DX260, which preserves a ton of texture on top of its reference-level response. It’s an effortless portrayal of sound that never struggles to maintain musicality. Everything I paired up with the DX260 kept reminding me what made this selection of headphones and IEMs fun to listen to. Some of those headphones and IEMs I tested were the Audeze LCD-X, MM-100, Arya Organic, and Campfire Audio Supermoon."

So, also he confirms what we owners experience and hear with the 260. ...nice to have a concrete confirmation here :wink:.

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #877 of 971
Is the dx260 bass is better than dx170?
I’m kinda like textured, tight bass.
DX260 is very tempting, everybody claim the best value dap you can get for your money.
I just really want a big upgrade after my Dx170.
It's unquestionably an upgrade on the DX170 which I had, really enjoyed, but recently sold after being thoroughly bowled over by the DX260.

If you're looking for a neutral player which will allow the signatures of your IEMs/headphones to be apparent, I really don't think you can go wrong.

I think the bass nicely presents what is contained in tracks. Can't really say much more on this as I don't have any issues in this respect.

I've currently got the DX260 paired with my Dunu Zen Pros and can't imagine swapping either out for a long, long time.

May 1, 2024 at 1:55 PM Post #878 of 971
I like the big open layered soundstage of the DX260. It is just a joy to use. IEMs really open up nicely with it and headphones are driven well.
I think it isnt last word on the layering and soundstage but likely the leader for DAP under $1000. I own several modified DAPs and they are all more resolving than the DX260. Stock ZX707 won’t be able to match the DX260 for sure. I think the DX320 with amp 11 still throw bigger sound stage but nothing can touch this for its size and weight. Maybe the long discontinued Cowon L.

May 1, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #879 of 971
I think it isnt last word on the layering and soundstage but likely the leader for DAP under $1000. I own several modified DAPs and they are all more resolving than the DX260. Stock ZX707 won’t be able to match the DX260 for sure. I think the DX320 with amp 11 still throw bigger sound stage but nothing can touch this for its size and weight. Maybe the long discontinued Cowon L.
And it is comparing apples to apples. Being modified for the every day user, who isn't going down that route, isn't a comparison. And often, I have heard some things improved with modifications while other things diminish. I have read of caps being raved about, tried them, let them burn in and while some things stood out, others regressed. As a DAC/amp, I think on its own, the 260 stands out and is better than some more expensive daps and isn't restrained to the sub 1000 range.

May 1, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #880 of 971
And it is comparing apples to apples. Being modified for the every day user, who isn't going down that route, isn't a comparison. And often, I have heard some things improved with modifications while other things diminish. I have read of caps being raved about, tried them, let them burn in and while some things stood out, others regressed. As a DAC/amp, I think on its own, the 260 stands out and is better than some more expensive daps and isn't restrained to the sub 1000 range.
NPAudio is pretty legit if you ever want to try that out. Their WM1A mod is almost even par with the DX320 Max and that’s saying a lot. I also mod my ZX707 and it’s slightly more holographic than the DX260 but in stock form the DX260 takes the cake. Not sure how the DX260 measures up to the stock WM1AM2 but I think the DX320 edition X with stock amp does have better staging and more resolving to my ears. I agree with everyone here that the DX260 is pretty neural sounding player though.

May 1, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #881 of 971
Purely layering wise the Hiby R6 Pro II is unbeatable under $2000. I'm shocked at how incredibly it separates, almost having an x-ray feel to it.

Will be doing a quick side by side comparison with the DX260 soon.

May 1, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #882 of 971
Purely layering wise the Hiby R6 Pro II is unbeatable under $2000. I'm shocked at how incredibly it separates, almost having an x-ray feel to it.

Will be doing a quick side by side comparison with the DX260 soon.
I listen to a lot of live music. The DX260 with IEMs does a superb job and is natural sounding, which is a relief.

May 1, 2024 at 9:08 PM Post #884 of 971
I listen to a lot of live music. The DX260 with IEMs does a superb job and is natural sounding, which is a relief.
Yeah I'll get more into the nitty gritty in the detailed comparison but yes vocals are one of the weaknesses of the R6 Pro II due to its forward mids and dry tonality leading to a grainy voice for certain recordings.

The DX260 is a better all rounder, but when the R6 Pro II shines it's way way above it's price class.

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 4:20 AM Post #885 of 971
Dx 260 is still my best bet. When i read about shanling m6u and highs roll of and blunt not interested. Fiio m15 s iam scary as hell from thick bass. Fiio m23 is from new review less energetic i dont want that. It is between hiby r6 pro 2 and i know 1 it was good sound only thicker bass was too much and dx 260 only.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back