DX260 Digital Audio Player, a New avenue to your music. Preorders have started. Easily replaceable battery. NEW Firmware Update! 2.02
Jan 5, 2024 at 8:51 PM Post #31 of 971
Fiio have said they will update to Android 12 as well, starting with the R9 and R7, and then their DAP's M17 down to M11 plus
With FiiO, they promise many things, I used M11 plus ess from almost release time and received no OS upgrade till date. R9 is new and yet to be released, so Android 12/13 makes sense. With FiiO and Hiby it's almost the same version as what you get when you buy and they rarely upgrade the OS.

Jan 6, 2024 at 6:47 AM Post #32 of 971
Let me know when those others offer a version of Android that can run apps like Qobuz and Tidal directly in HiDef outside of a secondary program, like Hiby player or UAPP. When they have a 2nd (primary for me) low footprint OS (MANGO OS) which is how I use mine unless I'm streaming from home or a service.

It's a DAP. How does a generation newer version of Android increase the experience/performance? It won't sound better. It won't be faster. Some relatively minor security and battery load items will be useful for a phone or tablet but are not conducive to DAP use where player/earphone load and an amp that can deliver current are paramount. Camera and microphone security? Power saving modes? Not what I care about in a DAP that doesn't have the 1st 2 or need the 3rd. Will I welcome a newer version of Android? Sure, why not, but I also don't care if it ever showed up.

I care about sound, function/versatility and with a pleasant and reliable user experience. It's the same with bluetooth where folks care about having the latest version of 5 when there is zero sonic improvement to be had in range, speed/bit rate or sound after 5.0. I've found over the years that energy saving modes for efficiency often degrade instead of improve performance. In this instance, I won't imply that would be the case but that also won't have a significantly positive effect on the play time of a DAP.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 7:24 AM Post #33 of 971
It's a DAP. How does a generation newer version of Android increase the experience/performance?
Agree with all your points. App support is what gets impacted by old Android OS. For eg, latest Tidal app won't work on Android 9 anymore and a compatible version has to be side loaded. Going forward, other streaming apps might slowly stop supporting older Android versions. Hence, it's safe to be on a newer Android to be future proof.

Jan 6, 2024 at 7:34 AM Post #34 of 971
Coming to Bluetooth, for me modern codecs like aptx lossless matters. So, if they can implement this in 5.0 version, that's fine.

Jan 6, 2024 at 7:42 AM Post #35 of 971
Agree with all your points. App support is what gets impacted by old Android OS. For eg, latest Tidal app won't work on Android 9 anymore and a compatible version has to be side loaded. Going forward, other streaming apps might slowly stop supporting older Android versions. Hence, it's safe to be on a newer Android to be future proof.
Good point. Haven't run into that yet since I just got into Android DAPs a few years back. I use an Iphone and my previous players didn't stream. Qobuz changed that desire for me.

Jan 6, 2024 at 8:04 AM Post #36 of 971
Coming to Bluetooth, for me modern codecs like aptx lossless matters. So, if they can implement this in 5.0 version, that's fine.
5.0 in the iBasso has full function LDAC which has the most bandwidth (more than Aptx). It's surprising how good it sounds streaming to an LDAC capable Questyile CMA15 via bluetooth.

Jan 6, 2024 at 8:04 AM Post #37 of 971
Let me know when those others offer a version of Android that can run apps like Qobuz and Tidal directly in HiDef outside of a secondary program, like Hiby player or UAPP. When they have a 2nd (primary for me) low footprint OS (MANGO OS) which is how I use mine unless I'm streaming from home or a service.

It's a DAP. How does a generation newer version of Android increase the experience/performance? It won't sound better. It won't be faster. Some relatively minor security and battery load items will be useful for a phone or tablet but are not conducive to DAP use where player/earphone load and an amp that can deliver current are paramount. Camera and microphone security? Power saving modes? Not what I care about in a DAP that doesn't have the 1st 2 or need the 3rd. Will I welcome a newer version of Android? Sure, why not, but I also don't care if it ever showed up.

I care about sound, function/versatility and with a pleasant and reliable user experience. It's the same with bluetooth where folks care about having the latest version of 5 when there is zero sonic improvement to be had in range, speed/bit rate or sound after 5.0. I've found over the years that energy saving modes for efficiency often degrade instead of improve performance. In this instance, I won't imply that would be the case but that also won't have a significantly positive effect on the play time of a DAP.
You do realise Hiby and Sony DAPs come with Google Play out of the box and you can install whatever latest app you want like Qobuz or Tidal straight from the Google Playstore ?

I have the Dx320, Hiby R6 Pro II and Sony Zx707. I use Apple Music for my listening. From Software Features perspective I’d rate them Hiby > Sony > iBasso. Hiby not only has bit-perfect playback but also system wide EQ (iBasso doesn’t have one, they only have an EQ for the built-in player).

Anyways not trying to derail this thread. I was just replying to the guy above who said iBasso updates Android versions on their devices. Sure they do, when there is a new device and that takes too long + they are still far behind the others in terms of Software.

Jan 6, 2024 at 9:50 AM Post #41 of 971
You do realise Hiby and Sony DAPs come with Google Play out of the box and you can install whatever latest app you want like Qobuz or Tidal straight from the Google Playstore ?

I have the Dx320, Hiby R6 Pro II and Sony Zx707. I use Apple Music for my listening. From Software Features perspective I’d rate them Hiby > Sony > iBasso. Hiby not only has bit-perfect playback but also system wide EQ (iBasso doesn’t have one, they only have an EQ for the built-in player).

Anyways not trying to derail this thread. I was just replying to the guy above who said iBasso updates Android versions on their devices. Sure they do, when there is a new device and that takes too long + they are still far behind the others in terms of Software.
Of course I do but do they play 24/192 directly from the Android platform or do you need to play them from within the Hiby container etc. for HiDef performance? It takes about 1 min. to establish the Playstore in an iBasso. I've owned a Hiby R6 III so am very familiar with it's functions and use. Liked it but clearly prefer the DX240 for my needs and desires. I think Sony is quite innovative but have never been fond of class D amps and I heard their 1st one (TA-N88) about 50 years ago.

To each his own. I find Hiby player is very open sounding but a little smoothed out and I hate EQ so prefer direct play of Qobuz and the ability to use Mango OS outside of Android when playing local files. I've used UAPP in other android devices and I actually have the Hiby app installed in my DX240 to stream local files from my NAS etc. For my preferences, Qobuz is preferred on it's own as opposed to via the Hiby player. Please don't tell me about bit perfect. Player programs sound different and I personally prefer to not stack interfaces. I won't get into it here but I still clearly prefer the overall performance of Qobuz to Apple Music and to the improved (non-MQA) Tidal as well.

Point is simply that different players emphasize different aspects of features and performance and iBasso is the one that best suits my desires and needs. It most approaches a purist's device with lower overhead modes but also without limiting the advantages of Android OS. I'm also someone whose home audio only system is multiple times the price of a new car...also without tone controls:xf_wink:. Other players will fit other's needs and preferences better and that's great. I happen to appreciate their choices.

Viva la difference! :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #42 of 971
Of course I do but do they play 24/192 directly from the Android platform or do you need to play them from within the Hiby container etc. for HiDef performance? It takes about 1 min. to establish the Playstore in an iBasso. I've owned a Hiby R6 III so am very familiar with it's functions and use. Liked it but clearly prefer the DX240 for my needs and desires. I think Sony is quite innovative but have never been fond of class D amps and I heard their 1st one (TA-N88) about 50 years ago.

To each his own. I find Hiby player is very open sounding but a little smoothed out and I hate EQ so prefer direct play of Qobuz and the ability to use Mango OS outside of Android when playing local files. I've used UAPP in other android devices and I actually have the Hiby app installed in my DX240 to stream local files from my NAS etc. For my preferences, Qobuz is preferred on it's own as opposed to via the Hiby player. Please don't tell me about bit perfect. Player programs sound different and I personally prefer to not stack interfaces. I won't get into it here but I still clearly prefer the overall performance of Qobuz to Apple Music and to the improved (non-MQA) Tidal as well.

Point is simply that different players emphasize different aspects of features and performance and iBasso is the one that best suits my desires and needs. It most approaches a purist's device with lower overhead modes but also without limiting the advantages of Android OS. I'm also someone whose home audio only system is multiple times the price of a new car...also without tone controls:xf_wink:. Other players will fit other's needs and preferences better and that's great. I happen to appreciate their choices.

Viva la difference! :ksc75smile:
All Chi-fi DAPs play bit-perfect audio across the Android OS (iBasso, Hiby, FiiO, Shanling etc.). Sony is the only one that still does not bypass the Android re-sampling.

Jan 6, 2024 at 6:11 PM Post #43 of 971
All Chi-fi DAPs play bit-perfect audio across the Android OS (iBasso, Hiby, FiiO, Shanling etc.). Sony is the only one that still does not bypass the Android re-sampling.
I don't think Qobuz played in HiDef on my Hiby 6 mkIII unless it was from within Hiby player ot UAPP apps. Being able to do it isn't the same as direct playback from the Qobuz app. Different bit perfect players do sound different so it's just another layer and greater load. Pretty easy to hear the difference between Hiby player, Mango and Uapp set for native bit rates on a good player.

I really don't want to get into a bit perfect rabbit hole here and we're off point which is... Don't see any need for a more recent Android on this DAP. Wouldn't mind it but don't care. Best point made against that was staying current/functional on apps.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back