DX240 DAP. DAC ES9038PRO - NEW: AMP8MK2S .****** NEW Firmware! 2.01 *******
Nov 24, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #556 of 2,804
I recommend/suggest:

Using a (free) SPL meter app to match the volume levels between daps as even a slight increase in one or decrease in the other can make one sound more fuller and exciting than the other. (Just stick the iem close to the phone mic, use a single wave file if possible).

Same gain on both.

(Note DX300 dac volume if need be).

Same filter (even though there can be variance). Brick wall or something

Note which earphones or headphones used.

Hours of the dap.

Tracks used can be also useful as others can try to reproduce.

Its not going to be perfect and also ones ear shape, fit, tips, files, listening environment, fatigue, age, time of day….

One can only narrow down the possible deviations so much…

Good luck, keep em coming.

In a few weeks we will have a good grouping of reviews and impressions to draw some averages out of :)

Nov 24, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #558 of 2,804
I recommend/suggest:

Using a (free) SPL meter app to match the volume levels between daps as even a slight increase in one or decrease in the other can make one sound more fuller and exciting than the other. (Just stick the iem close to the phone mic, use a single wave file if possible).

Same gain on both.

(Note DX300 dac volume if need be).

Same filter (even though there can be variance). Brick wall or something

Note which earphones or headphones used.

Hours of the dap.

Tracks used can be also useful as others can try to reproduce.

Its not going to be perfect and also ones ear shape, fit, tips, files, listening environment, fatigue, age, time of day….

One can only narrow down the possible deviations so much…

Good luck, keep em coming.

In a few weeks we will have a good grouping of reviews and impressions to draw some averages out of :)
You weren't the reviewer saying you preferred it to the more expensive one😆😛

Nov 24, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #559 of 2,804
I have a Serious question to all of you ibasso dx240 owners....
Do any of yall experience a popping sound when booting up the player?
Yes. I suspect there is no mute circuit, which can also affect sound quality, so I am totally fine with it.

Nov 24, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #560 of 2,804
Yes. I suspect there is no mute circuit, which can also affect sound quality, so I am totally fine with it.
Thanks so much for responding!! For a minute I thought I got a defective unit but when I went to the store to return it, they told me that the popping sound was normal! I obviously thought they were trolling me so I decided to ask over here... that popping sound is not cool -_-

Nov 24, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #561 of 2,804
Anyone know the dimensions and weight of the DX240? I can't find those specs listed anywhere in reviews or official site.

Nov 24, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #562 of 2,804
You weren't the reviewer saying you preferred it to the more expensive one😆😛
I were or i werent? lol

I think i just laid out the similarities and differences. Advantages and disadvantages.
I dont think i wrote I preferred one over the other overall. Each I prefer in different situations.
Their form and functions serve different aims with some commonality between them

Or i am reading too much into this - so ignore me. lol 😂

0E24B3D4-AEE5-42DA-9A88-3DE7B30C3394.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #563 of 2,804
Thanks so much for responding!! For a minute I thought I got a defective unit but when I went to the store to return it, they told me that the popping sound was normal! I obviously thought they were trolling me so I decided to ask over here... that popping sound is not cool -_-
Yeah i think i noted it in my review. Not a deal breaker. But a bit annoying.

Sometimes turning it on. Or switching from android mango to mango etc

Nov 24, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #564 of 2,804
Ok, quick impressions here...

This is a lovely device! Lighter than DX228EX (255g) at 206g. The back curve sits really nicely in hand and it feels much less chunky than DX220. If I were to travel again, this would be the perfect companion for me.

Quick listen with U12t/Traillii, I hear a very smooth presentation, very much an extension of DX228EX but with better clarity, extension in bass and treble. I don't hear the sharp upper mids that I heard with DX300 Mk1, less so on DX300Max SS. Sound signature-wise, I'm at home and this is great. No pain points. Unfortunately, it does trail DX300/3Max on the extensions and PRAT/resolution/depth. If you use Mango OS, the story improves quite a bit and now DX240 is much closer to DX300/3Max. It gains bass/treble extensions and PRAT/resolution/depth, perhaps making it halfway between DX240 (Android Mango player) and DX300/3Max. Keep in mind this is with fairly easy to drive IEMs. Using full size headphones will change the picture.

If you liked DX220, I think you will like DX240 too.

Nov 24, 2021 at 11:57 PM Post #565 of 2,804
The DX300 is definitely the better player.
:scream::scream::scream: I am surprised you could make such a bold statement like that.

There are so many other things to take into consideration such as :-

1. Design
2. Weight
3. Portability
4. Usage case
5. Different headphone & IEM performance
6. Cost

DEFINITELY not a definitive comparison to be able to call it against these 2 DAPS, so my advice to anyone thinking about the dx240 vs dx300 is to wait for more comprehensive reviews OR if you can financially afford the initial outlay, A/B them yourself like I did.

At the end of the day it’s all about your personal preferences. If cost, portability, design, weight are the main factors for you, then maybe the 3% difference in sound between the 2 players (that’s all I could hear) will be of no concern and all the other factors come into play.

If however that 3% difference in sound is more important than cost, portability, design and weight, then the DX300 will be the 1 for you.

Either way, they are BOTH great players and neither one is " definitely the better player" :xf_wink:

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 1:04 AM Post #566 of 2,804
You need more time on the DX240. To me, it is much closer than that. I could live with either.
Time will not change timbre and overall presentation.
It may tighten the bass and improve some technicalities but there is no way to even the differences.
The DX300 is analogue and organic while the other one, when we compare, it is digital and artificial.
The DX300 is a higher end player.
Of course in my opinion and please enjoy the DX240 that you like better.
I am not trying to persuade anyone.
Just my opinion.

Nov 25, 2021 at 1:07 AM Post #567 of 2,804
:scream::scream::scream: I am surprised you could make such a bold statement like that.

1. Design
2. Weight
3. Portability
4. Usage case
6. Cost

DEFINITELY not a definitive comparison to be able to call it against these 2 DAPS, so my advice to anyone thinking about the dx240 vs dx300 is to wait for more comprehensive reviews OR if you can financially afford the initial outlay, A/B them yourself like I did.

At the end of the day it’s all about your personal preferences. If cost, portability, design, weight are the main factors for you, then maybe the 3% difference in sound between the 2 players (that’s all I could hear) will be of no concern and all the other factors come into play.

If however that 3% difference in sound is more important than cost, portability, design and weight, then the DX300 will be the 1 for you.

Either way, they are BOTH great players and neither one is " definitely the better player" :xf_wink:
Mentioned all about this at the end of the brief comparison.
Someone should judge everything that he needs in order to choose.
I am comparing sound and in my opinion it is not only 3% difference.
And sound wise the DX300 is a better player.

Nov 25, 2021 at 1:19 AM Post #568 of 2,804
DX220 thread
1637820648902.png

Both 312 and 241.3 (or even with amp8) are one of the best solid state dap.
They are cleverly tuned to sound non solid state ie "cold" , very dynamic very un-solid state.
But the most analogue sounding, but natural and technical, should be the tube powered dx229.
It (the 229) lost out to the 240 for a larger sound field, ui and the most desirable back up time of the 240...

IMG_20211109_115418.jpg

1637821017772.png

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 1:27 AM Post #569 of 2,804

1. Design
2. Weight
3. Portability
4. Usage case
6. Cost

Time will not change timbre and overall presentation.
It may tighten the bass and improve some technicalities but there is no way to even the differences.
The DX300 is analogue and organic while the other one, when we compare, it is digital and artificial.
The DX300 is a higher end player.
Of course in my opinion and please enjoy the DX240 that you like better.
I am not trying to persuade anyone.
Just my opinion.
I had already suspected a few pages beforehand that the DX 300 would do a bit better in terms of sound. The high technical effort has to make itself noticeable somewhere. There is nothing to be said about the basic price, the DX 300 is not twice as expensive only 300 USD. We don't need to talk about Mobilataet clearly, the points go to the DX 240. That was a comparison with the DX 300 Amp 11 MK I or MKII? I don't like MK I at all because of the screaming upper mids. MKI can only be used with Dorado 2020 and to a limited extent with the Focal Celestee. It's just plain cruel with Mest MKII. With AMP 12 it looks much better, of course, because the mids have been taken back a bit. How extreme is the difference between DX 312 and DX 240 ???

Nov 25, 2021 at 1:38 AM Post #570 of 2,804
I have already mentioned that it is MKI.

I have not compared with the Amp 12 to keep it more balanced and fair for the DX240.

Anyway in order not to be misunderstood, I am not ditching the DX240.

DX240 is an excellent sounding player with great form factor and I am probably going to award it a five star rating.

The op asked about a sound comparison and yes for my tastes the DX300 is definitely better.
Why?
Because it sounds closer to reality, instruments have a more lifelike timbre and the whole presentation is more engaging, musical, analog.
It is not deniable.

If you listen to electronic music and such stuff don't bother , it doesn't matter.

So again, the DX240 is an excellent small form factor player.

I have already mentioned in my original post but people seem to read in haste.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back