DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Sep 17, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #7,983 of 13,478
Hi

If you wish to use the DX220 as a digital transport, my recommendation is to use Spdif for reasons previously explained- USB audio out wont work.

Well I guess that's confirmed now that dx220 isn't capable of usb audio output. Even manual doesn't say anything about it.

I have already ordered coax cable, hope it will work with DSD files, optical won't.

Sep 17, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #7,985 of 13,478
He is right. I read the post and thought that can’t be. So I connected the Beyer Dynamic Impacto which is a lovely portable usb day for their headphones. And...squat. I tried it with Hiby Music app. Squat although the app recognised the usb connection. The impacto works with every dap I own so ,in a word,that’s crap. And,given how lovely the engineering on this dap is I am truly amazed.

Sep 17, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #7,986 of 13,478
He is right. I read the post and thought that can’t be. So I connected the Beyer Dynamic Impacto which is a lovely portable usb day for their headphones. And...squat. I tried it with Hiby Music app. Squat although the app recognised the usb connection. The impacto works with every dap I own so ,in a word,that’s crap. And,given how lovely the engineering on this dap is I am truly amazed.
Out of curiosity - are any of your other DAPs using USB-C like the DX220?

If not that could be a key part of this mystery - with all the variation on USB versions, types, and cables it is not surprising that there are problems with devices communicating perfectly with each other. If you are interested take a read here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

Just some food for thought...

Cheers,
Tim

Sep 17, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #7,987 of 13,478
Out of curiosity - are any of your other DAPs using USB-C like the DX220?

If not that could be a key part of this mystery - with all the variation on USB versions, types, and cables it is not surprising that there are problems with devices communicating perfectly with each other. If you are interested take a read here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

Just some food for thought...

Cheers,
Tim

My smartphone uses USB-C and works flawlessly with standalone dac.

My totally uneducated guess is that they had to drop usb audio out to overcome android audio limitations. So now we have uapp playing dsd up to 512 naturally and every other application is having access to dx220 dacs bypassing android audio.

Sep 17, 2019 at 7:43 PM Post #7,988 of 13,478
Tim. Yes. Fiio M11. Fiio M9. Works flawlessly. Except on the ibasso. Which doesn’t work at all. On fiio I can use fiio music,Hiby,usb audio pro. On ibasso nothing works. Really odd. In truth I only just tried it following the post as i was curious. Which is a bad thing as now I am suddenly wanting to use the 220 to be the transport to facilitate a portable dac to drive high impedance Beyer Dynamic headphones! It is poor though,a dap of this quality should allow this.

Sep 17, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #7,989 of 13,478
Tim. Yes. Fiio M11. Fiio M9. Works flawlessly. Except on the ibasso. Which doesn’t work at all. On fiio I can use fiio music,Hiby,usb audio pro. On ibasso nothing works. Really odd. In truth I only just tried it following the post as i was curious. Which is a bad thing as now I am suddenly wanting to use the 220 to be the transport to facilitate a portable dac to drive high impedance Beyer Dynamic headphones! It is poor though,a dap of this quality should allow this.
Well, let's hope Paul/iBasso knows or can figure out the root of all these issues being brought forward and provide a solution.

I, for one, have been patiently waiting for the next FW drop and hope that some of the requested fixes and improvements spelled out in the dedicated thread for software requests will be addressed.

I still believe that getting devices to play nice together is no small task given the wide variety of USB related variables as well as various music formats out there (PCM, DSD, MQA spindled/folded/and mutilated/etc) - but what the heck do I know?

Cheers,
Tim

Sep 18, 2019 at 1:50 AM Post #7,990 of 13,478
Well, let's hope Paul/iBasso knows or can figure out the root of all these issues being brought forward and provide a solution.

I, for one, have been patiently waiting for the next FW drop and hope that some of the requested fixes and improvements spelled out in the dedicated thread for software requests will be addressed.

I still believe that getting devices to play nice together is no small task given the wide variety of USB related variables as well as various music formats out there (PCM, DSD, MQA spindled/folded/and mutilated/etc) - but what the heck do I know?

Cheers,
Tim

Agreed, its been exactly three months now with a number of things unaddressed. Fingers crossed they'll get to this soon. I don't have an Android phone, but it sounds like there's not problem with USB-C compatability on Android phones. So it makes sense that the problem is the bypass of the Android audio limitations. At least with some of the BT issues (such as being unable to listen to higher-res files in your library, as you would on any other device) seem to me to be related to bypassing Android audio stuff. The simple answer, as I see it, would be to give Mango Android the ability to downsample to the maximum capability of the BT codec you are using (this is how it gets done via UAPP). I think a similar thing would help/allow Mango Android to do USB-C output (which I've only been able to do with files above 16/48 via UAPP). What we are looking for here is a little software flexibility to maximize BT and USB output features. We shouldn't have to look to third party solutions for basic stuff like this in a high-end device, IMHO.

I'd imagine the DX160 has similar issues and strange limitations. Maybe I'm wrong and they figured some of this stuff out for the DX160 and its coming in a DX220 firmware update.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2019 at 2:07 AM Post #7,991 of 13,478
Im not sure if im understanding what are you talking about but im using the stock Mango player and in fact, any other app even the Mango OS with a Fiio CL06 cable to send the music through the usb cable to a Fiio Q5 and it works like a charm, im not sure if its what are you talking, just saying

Sep 18, 2019 at 2:10 AM Post #7,992 of 13,478
Im not sure if im understanding what are you talking about but im using the stock Mango player and in fact, any other app even the Mango OS with a Fiio CL06 cable to send the music through the usb cable to a Fiio Q5 and it works like a charm, im not sure if its what are you talking, just saying

What kind of files are you listening to? iBasso has confirmed to me that the USB output via Mango is capped at 16/48. I’ve been able to go higher via UAPP. The resampling suggestion is mostly related to BT output.

Sep 18, 2019 at 2:12 AM Post #7,993 of 13,478
Ok,
What kind of files are you listening to? iBasso has confirmed to me that the USB output via Mango is capped at 16/48. I’ve been able to go higher via UAPP. The resampling suggestion is mostly related to BT output.
so you are talking about the downsampling. I thought that you were talking about that the iBasso it doesn't have the ability to play through usb cable and at least for me, it works, any kind of file, but im not sure about the downsampling to be honest, I just enjoy the music :)

Sep 18, 2019 at 2:19 AM Post #7,994 of 13,478
Ok,

so you are talking about the downsampling. I thought that you were talking about that the iBasso it doesn't have the ability to play through usb cable and at least for me, it works, any kind of file, but im not sure about the downsampling to be honest, I just enjoy the music :)

I too would like to be able to enjoy all of my music via BT and USB C even when I need to. That’s why I’ve mentioned downsampling. That’s why people are bringing this up.

Go try to play a 24/48 file via AptX or USB-C in Mango, it won’t work. Or at least it doesn’t work for me. If you bump it up to AptX HD, your 24/48 file will play. If you play a 24/96 track over AptX HD, it won’t play.

See the issue?

Sep 18, 2019 at 2:24 AM Post #7,995 of 13,478
I too would like to be able to enjoy all of my music via BT and USB C even when I need to. That’s why I’ve mentioned downsampling. That’s why people are bringing this up.

Go try to play a 24/48 file via AptX or USB-C in Mango, it won’t work. Or at least it doesn’t work for me. If you bump it up to AptX HD, your 24/48 file will play. If you play a 24/96 track over AptX HD, it won’t play.

See the issue?
Let me try in the afternoon as im going to the work right now and in fact im not in my country right now but I will try with a bluetooth speaker that I have in the hotel, then in my home I will be able to try with the usb cable, lets see if my DX its a magic device or if you are right :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back