DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Nov 23, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #10,156 of 22,021
Depends upon the track. Once an album is entered I find it very fast. Maybe it is your card.
Using latest SanDisc 256GB card so this shouldn't be a case.

Nov 23, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #10,157 of 22,021
I don't really have an issue with the UI on the DX200. For its price point, you get a world-class sound that I've found directly comparable to the AK380. I tested them side by side back when I first got my DX200 to test. I'm certainly curious how the Cowon sounds side by side...I've owned Cowon's before and wasn't impressed. I had the Plenue way back and returned it. But that was a long time ago...however the JetEffect was a cool feature to customize the sound. I think that the PR and the DX200 are apples and oranges though.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #10,158 of 22,021
I don't really have an issue with the UI on the DX200. For its price point, you get a world-class sound that I've found directly comparable to the AK380. I tested them side by side back when I first got my DX200 to test. I'm certainly curious how the Cowon sounds side by side...I've owned Cowon's before and wasn't impressed. I had the Plenue way back and returned it. But that was a long time ago...however the JetEffect was a cool feature to customize the sound. I think that the PR and the DX200 are apples and oranges though.
Yes DX sounds fantastic no doubt about that and it also has probably the best screen from all DAPs around btw. It's the damn UI speed what concerns me though.

I've always wanted to try a COWON player and R looked fantastic on paper so I gave it a try. And from what I've heard so far I really like the Burr Brown sound.

Both are modern DAPs so they can be compared FWwise. And this was my original thought. No apples and oranges here.

Nov 23, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #10,159 of 22,021
Yes I see your point.

Nov 23, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #10,160 of 22,021
Burr Brown is a really old chip and tech (2004). Sabre 9028 is much newer(2015)

Nov 23, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #10,161 of 22,021
The Burr Brown is a warm chip, the Sabre is brighter and more resolving.

Of course a lot has to do with the implementation.

I remember when Sabre chips started to come into the market, people said they were to digital, or to bright. People also said that Burr Brown chips were boring.

None of this is really true, because, implementation is everything.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #10,162 of 22,021
It's too early to make any sound statements as I've listened to R only for about an hour but price/performance ratio of R is fantastic for sure. As I said DX sounds fantastic but R's FW and UI is super superior.

What you have to keep in mind, DX200 has a full Android OS which supports apps and many other processes running in the background, while PR has an embedded Linux with a highly optimized hardware for audio playback. With fast fwd/rwd touch scrolling, they also have a different approach. Plenue will be similar to your smartphone where you just have to touch/swipe the screen. iBasso has a different approach where you have to tap'n'hold the time-marker pointer on the touch bar first, and then drag it to a new position. Kind of similar to what I just discovered with WM1Z, need to tap and hold the touch bar and then swipe it. This introduces some delay in touch forwarding through a track in DX200, but also prevents from accidental skipping through the track. Different approach used by different manufacturers.

Regarding PR, it's more of a higher end mid-fi level, not flagship level like DX200. Will be interesting to see how PR compares to DX120 when it's released :wink:

Nov 23, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #10,163 of 22,021
Yes DX sounds fantastic no doubt about that and it also has probably the best screen from all DAPs around btw. It's the damn UI speed what concerns me though.

I've always wanted to try a COWON player and R looked fantastic on paper so I gave it a try. And from what I've heard so far I really like the Burr Brown sound.

Both are modern DAPs so they can be compared FWwise. And this was my original thought. No apples and oranges here.

With the latest update the UI has gone better, snappier and very responsive. Having a full android OS is already a huge advantage. In fact, I am using Neutron or UAPP more than the stock player. That alone is a value that can't be overlooked.

Nov 24, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #10,169 of 22,021
I am as well. AMP 5 sounds fantastic with my Angies and with my Senn 650's. However, it's not powerful enough to drive the LCD 2's, when using them I use an external amp.

What is the main difference between AMP2 and AMP5. Does the difference justify me to purchase the AMP5 in addition of AMP2? I have no way to test, and there have not been any reviews so far, so I can only rely on the impression in this thread.

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back