DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Jan 7, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #20,026 of 22,021
So after all the experimentation, I ended up covering: the SD card, amp8 internals, amp module bay, amp receptacle, wifi antenna, bluetooth chip, one small IC (*70%), the Rockchip CPU, and most importantly, the SD card receptacle. (I left the other chips alone, including the dual ESS DAC chips.)

So after a bunch of trials, I did cover it but not entirely, by *95%. That may sound ridiculous, but the 5% uncovered is critical and perfect–for me.

@edwardsean would you mind telling which IC you left partially uncovered and which 5% of the SD card receptacle you left uncovered (does it matter the location, such as a particular corner vs somewhere along an edge)? I have the TDK sheet arriving tonight and with my stock dx208, would like to try fully covered vs your preferred tuning.

Thanks!

Jan 7, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #20,027 of 22,021
IMG_20190107_170702.jpg
Is MQA fully supported now in Tidal?

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #20,028 of 22,021
I just checked and Masters in the official Tidal app definitely show up and can be downloaded for offline playback just like any other file. I did have to delete my existing Hi-Fi downloads then re-download the Master version. Once I did that, everything was flawless.

I believe the MQA implementation for DX200 is only the software level (first-level) unfolding since the DX200 doesn't have the hardware to do the "second-level" hardware unfolding.

What a great New Years treat for us!!

Jan 7, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #20,029 of 22,021
@edwardsean would you mind telling which IC you left partially uncovered and which 5% of the SD card receptacle you left uncovered (does it matter the location, such as a particular corner vs somewhere along an edge)? I have the TDK sheet arriving tonight and with my stock dx208, would like to try fully covered vs your preferred tuning.
Thanks!

Sure. For the SDcard receptacle I cut a slightly smaller square than its surface area, leaving a thin gap around the outer edge. But, I think these components are noise-emitting as a whole and placement shouldn’t matter.

As for the IC: After covering the components I named (and leaving the ESSx2 and chips under the Kapton tape uncovered) I had two ICs left which I used to “fine tune.” If you orient the DX200 vertically, I ended up covering ~70% of the smaller IC directly above the main Rockchip.

Of course your “tuning” may be different. At first, it felt like a pain to have to keep opening up and closing the unit, taping and peeling it off. By the end, like Whitigir said, I quite enjoyed it. I was seriously cutting off slivers of material and listening for the change. I can’t believe how similar this felt to dampening a room for recording. You want to get rid of the room reflections which is like “noise,” but you need to keep some of it or the mix feels too dead. It’s just that you are working in a tiny, tiny room.

Jan 7, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #20,030 of 22,021
Sure. For the SDcard receptacle I cut a slightly smaller square than its surface area, leaving a thin gap around the outer edge. But, I think these components are noise-emitting as a whole and placement shouldn’t matter.

As for the IC: After covering the components I named (and leaving the ESSx2 and chips under the Kapton tape uncovered) I had two ICs left which I used to “fine tune.” If you orient the DX200 vertically, I ended up covering ~70% of the smaller IC directly above the main Rockchip.

@edwardsean One last practical question - were you able to access the IC's / Inductors within the amp8 without removing the 4 stock grey caps? From the photos by @Whitigir, it looks like the areas to cover are directly under/around the 4 grey caps. I have no ability to solder, so if I can't put the tape inside the amp8 without unsoldering components, I just won't worry about opening the amp8 at all.

Jan 7, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #20,031 of 22,021
Oh yeah, you’re good. You can just gently bend the caps up and then back down.

Because of Twister and Whtigir’s guides, as long as you have the right tools, this mod is really pretty simple. This may be old hat for you but keep the screws in some small containers. The only thing that could be frustrating is if you have to blow an evening hunting for a tiny screw in between your floor boards.

I wish more people were interested in this mod. The rewards are pretty great for something so cheap and easy (provided you have resolving transducers).

Jan 7, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #20,035 of 22,021
Always wondered if they where the same spec or not just with a different jacket for the west.
It should be, unless they have different white paper talking about their specific lines and jackets, which they don’t. However, to my ears, I have always been loving the Chemicon in my Amp8W more than Panasonic in general :D

Jan 8, 2019 at 6:09 AM Post #20,038 of 22,021
Hi All,
I'm still largely baffled about DSD. But I came across some files which are in .dff format.
The only info I can provide is this:
"DFF-1Bit-2.8Mhz"
Can anyone translate this for me? :p
Is this what you mean when you talk about playing DSD files on the DX200? I can just load it onto the DX200 and play it as it is?
And is this DSD64? or something higher?
A track of 5m 47s (Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing) is around 247MB in size, if that helps.

I am hoping to find some music already upsampled (from a quality source) to DSD512 so I can do a listening test without having to convert it myself initially.
Ideally the kind of music where you can really notice a difference. I have very broad tastes and even just a few tracks would be enough for the experiment!
If anyone can help, please PM me!

Jan 8, 2019 at 6:42 AM Post #20,039 of 22,021
Hi All,
I'm still largely baffled about DSD. But I came across some files which are in .dff format.
The only info I can provide is this:
"DFF-1Bit-2.8Mhz"
Can anyone translate this for me? :p
Is this what you mean when you talk about playing DSD files on the DX200? I can just load it onto the DX200 and play it as it is?
And is this DSD64? or something higher?
A track of 5m 47s (Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing) is around 247MB in size, if that helps.

I am hoping to find some music already upsampled (from a quality source) to DSD512 so I can do a listening test without having to convert it myself initially.
Ideally the kind of music where you can really notice a difference. I have very broad tastes and even just a few tracks would be enough for the experiment!
If anyone can help, please PM me!

You have DSD64 file. DFF is just the format, like “.wav” You may not hear much improvement at all. If you want to explore, you should track down those DSD512 files or upconvert (it’s not hard with Xivero). They will be at 22.5Mhz. Whether DSD is worth it for you will depend a lot on how resolving the rest of your system is.

Jan 8, 2019 at 6:53 AM Post #20,040 of 22,021
You have DSD64 file. DFF is just the format, like “.wav” You may not hear much improvement at all. If you want to explore, you should track down those DSD512 files or upconvert (it’s not hard with Xivero). They will be at 22.5Mhz. Whether DSD is worth it for you will depend a lot on how resolving the rest of your system is.

Thanks for this! I have the DX200 (AMP3 and AMP8 mainly) and IT04 (and currently a pair of TOTL IEM's that I'm on a review tour for) so I think these should be good enough to highlight differences :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back