DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Jan 9, 2019 at 12:50 AM Post #20,056 of 22,021
But what are us mere mechanics supposed to do? Our skills with melting metal revolve around a cutting torch, not soldering printed circuit boards. Just kidding a little. I really do enjoy my stock DX208 with AK T1p phones in DSD512. I'm getting an HD800 in a couple days maybe they will take me to musical nirvana? Besides, the wallet is already stretched pretty thin with all the 512gb cards. And the heat, oh my, I took to rubber banding the unit to an aluminum block! Works pretty good though. Listening to Supertramp as I type.

About the wallet part. That's just it. The Nichicon cap costs just over a buck. One dollar! Shipping is like $6 or $7. I totally get you about the aluminum block. I lay mine on an aluminum disk. The thought of liquid cooling even crossed my mind.

So last Sat evening I was sitting quietly in Starbucks at 11 p.m. @ night listening and swapping out the various DX200 amps I have - AMP1, AMP2, AMP3, AMP4, and AMP8. To my ears the AMP1 & AMP2 didn’t sound as full and a little treble rolled off compared to the others. Whilst AMPS 3, 4, 8 sounded more wholesome, AMP3 & AMP8 felt more neutralish (but not AMP1 flat), whilst AMP4 slightly more U shaped and more fluid in its transients. AMP4 also seemed to have a wider soundstage compared to AMP8.
I’m curious if folks have managed to compare W-AMP8 (Whitigr AMP8) vs a stock AMP4 and describe the differences?

I'm really curious too. After switching to the Nichicon on the amp8, I wondered do I now have the best of both amp8 and amp4. I came into the DX200 world after amp4 was discontinued, so I have no idea. Please, if anyone has compared the modded amp8 to the amp4 please share.

Jan 9, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #20,057 of 22,021
I went to a big city for New Year holidays and had a chance to compare my DX200+Amp8 with SP1000M and SP1000. I went to a store with a heavy heart anticipating that I will probably have to buy a device worth two of my monthly salaries (SPK). But I can say that I was very relieved to find that our device is very very capable and I actually can very well not replace it!

Throughout the entire comparison session I used my CA Andromeda.

First of all I heard very little to no difference between my 208 and SPKM. It occurred to me that the SPKM renders cymbals a tiny bit better and it's a tad less bassy, but the difference is so insignificant that you have to make an effort in order to hear it. The difference with SPK, of course, was more obvious. The first thing you notice with the SPK is how wider it sounds. It's also, IMO, is more accurate with treble (cymbals) and bass. But still, except for the width, you still need to make an effort to hear the difference between the 208 and the SPK, and I think the SQ improvement you get with the SPK is about 15-20%.

So, after a momentary consideration I decided to stay with my DX208. I think I will better buy a new IEM this time (looking at CA Solaris). Also I tested the devices without my ieMatch I used to use with my Andros, and I found that it's actually not needed as the Andros sounded
equally great with my DX208 as it did with both SPK's without sounding harsh, peaky etc.

PS I also tested the Denon D7200 and really enjoyed them. They sound so differently from the IEM's in a good way, the music
flows as if from a bigger distance.

And regarding the problem that has been bothering me for a while, the rattling cymbals, it's present with all of the devices and with the D7200 too. I studied it, and it relates more to how rock music is recorded (with compression)... And it's very sad because when I hear these rattling cymbals I just want to turn it off, but I don't want to do that, because I love metal very much.

PPS Can anybody recommend a not very big desktop amp with a wide soundstage? Some Shiit product maybe? Thanks!

Jan 9, 2019 at 4:33 AM Post #20,058 of 22,021
PS Can anybody recommend a not very big desktop amp with a wide soundstage? Some Shiit product maybe? Thanks!

How about audio gd product? You can go to audio-gd.com/Products-EN.htm for various product line.

Jan 9, 2019 at 6:39 AM Post #20,059 of 22,021
But what are us mere mechanics supposed to do? Our skills with melting metal revolve around a cutting torch, not soldering printed circuit boards. Just kidding a little. I really do enjoy my stock DX208 with AK T1p phones in DSD512. I'm getting an HD800 in a couple days maybe they will take me to musical nirvana? Besides, the wallet is already stretched pretty thin with all the 512gb cards. And the heat, oh my, I took to rubber banding the unit to an aluminum block! Works pretty good though. Listening to Supertramp as I type.

FYI, I tunned the DX200 and Amp8 based on HD800S :D, so using Hd800 will be a safe bet with it

I just switched out the Siemens cap for the Nichicon cap on amp8 as per Whitigir’s mod.

There’s no use describing the difference it makes as Whitigir already detailed the improvements in his DIY guide. Simply said: it is better in every way.

https://twister6.com/2016/09/09/amp8-diy-mod/

All I can add is my own experience. I—loved—the sound of the DX200 with all my mods before the switch. So, I went in half expecting to switch back to the stock Siemens. I mean, how much better could it get?

I got my answer quick. Even with zero burn in, the sound is drop dead gorgeous, gorgeous, straight out the gate.

At this point, I barely remember what the original DX200 sounded like. I now consider the DX200 out of the box a sort of starter kit. To each his own but I strongly recommend trying out some of these upgrades, software and hardware, for yourself. Happy modding.

I am glad you are getting upgrades on it :) and that you like it a lot

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 7:05 AM Post #20,060 of 22,021
I just come back from reading the LPGT issues and it unfolding. According to 1 of the trusted person here

The LPGT freezes playing DSD128 sometimes....let alone it ability to play DSD512. I smiles a little, knowing that DX200 was released 2 years something ago, and still doing DSD512 which even top tier players from other companies can not do, including the newer SP1K and or Cayin N5......yes, all this was 2 years ago. I will be honest, Firmware and software from the beginning was meeting a lot of issues. But hardware ? It is still ways better than anyone out there up to right at this moment.

Oh, and a Korg Tube Amp Module will be coming soon ! Oh...my...ghost....!!!

DX200 keeps getting me excited. No need to drop $3500 for a Top tier DAP that has KORG Tubes anymore !! Why is DX200 on par with high-end DAP ? ES9028Prox2 and top of the lines in the industry Clock Oscilliators for portable devices (hardware spec), and it really performs

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 8:05 AM Post #20,062 of 22,021
I wonder why the iBasso engineers didn’t use a similar 470µF cap as the stock design. It performs so much better—at least to my ears.

Well, keep in mind that I used this value due to Amp4/s inspiration :), so Ibasso engineers defintely knows what s up, but my take is that they wanted Amp8 to be a little different than the rest of the modules lineup :D, and personal preferences ? We buyers are at the hand of the lead engineers preferences. DIY takes it to our level of preferences

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #20,063 of 22,021
Would like a recommendation. I have learnt about contact enhancer liquid such as furutech nano liquid and deoxit.

Is it good to apply to amp module connecter (that connect to dx200 body)? Will it improve the Sound Quality?

Jan 9, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #20,064 of 22,021
Would like a recommendation. I have learnt about contact enhancer liquid such as furutech nano liquid and deoxit.

Is it good to apply to amp module connecter (that connect to dx200 body)? Will it improve the Sound Quality?

The stuff kind of like this ?

Well, I never tried it, so I wouldn’t know :)....I tend to be kept away from it for some reasons

Jan 9, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #20,065 of 22,021
Amp4 (amp4s as well) is a happy middle ground between amp1 and amp8.

Amp4 is a little north of neutral from reference and has a very good, wide Soundstage. Sound is holographic and slightly warm.

Amp4s is a different take on the Amp4 sound and has little more punch. It is also a little north than neutral and to Amp4.

Amp8 modded has more body. Pairs well with iems or headphones that lack in body or those that are bright.

Amp8 has more going in the bass region and feels more energetic without fatiguing.

That's why I would say Amp4/amp4s is a happy middle ground to amp8 and amp1.

Jan 9, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #20,066 of 22,021
Amp4 (amp4s as well) is a happy middle ground between amp1 and amp8.

Amp4 is a little north of neutral from reference and has a very good, wide Soundstage. Sound is holographic and slightly warm.

Amp4s is a different take on the Amp4 sound and has little more punch. It is also a little north than neutral and to Amp4.

Amp8 modded has more body. Pairs well with iems or headphones that lack in body or those that are bright.

Amp8 has more going in the bass region and feels more energetic without fatiguing.

That's why I would say Amp4/amp4s is a happy middle ground to amp8 and amp1.

Agreed.
However, to be honest my amp4s is modified and has more punchy warm sound, sweetest vocals I ever heard and more holographic soundstage listening with the CIEM Phantoms directly and SR1 via Mini Dynalo amp. I would say the SQ is between amp1Ti and amp8W.
I sold my amp8W and am working on amp8-EX mod right now. Let’s see how amp8-EX scales up against amp8W. :L3000:

Jan 9, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #20,067 of 22,021
I just come back from reading the LPGT issues and it unfolding. According to 1 of the trusted person here

The LPGT freezes playing DSD128 sometimes....let alone it ability to play DSD512. I smiles a little, knowing that DX200 was released 2 years something ago, and still doing DSD512 which even top tier players from other companies can not do, including the newer SP1K and or Cayin N5......yes, all this was 2 years ago. I will be honest, Firmware and software from the beginning was meeting a lot of issues. But hardware ? It is still ways better than anyone out there up to right at this moment.

Oh, and a Korg Tube Amp Module will be coming soon ! Oh...my...ghost....!!!

DX200 keeps getting me excited. No need to drop $3500 for a Top tier DAP that has KORG Tubes anymore !! Why is DX200 on par with high-end DAP ? ES9028Prox2 and top of the lines in the industry Clock Oscilliators for portable devices (hardware spec), and it really performs
I'll be sticking with the dx200 with amp 8. I sold one before to try other high end daps. Never again. That lotoo is ridiculously expensive

Jan 9, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #20,068 of 22,021
I'll be sticking with the dx200 with amp 8. I sold one before to try other high end daps. Never again. That lotoo is ridiculously expensive

That is why I love Ibasso, in the world where people is ripping the enthusiasts off, Ibasso is silently releasing world class DAP that stands toes to toes with high-end at an affordable pricing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back