DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Nov 26, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #19,081 of 22,021
So I was reading about balanced signals here.

"Does That Mean I Can Plug My Standard Headphones Into a Balanced Amp and Get a Balanced Signal?

No. But you can listen to standard headphones on a balanced headphone amp just fine, you're just not listening in true balanced mode."

So this is puzzling me. How? We were told it's not possible. It's also just curious to me why you can't combine a balanced output into a normal single ended signal with a special adapter?

I would be truly glad if I could connect my old headphones into balanced output and listening in the old signal mode. No need for it to be balanced. If that's possible, then I can truly justify buying AMP8.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #19,082 of 22,021
So I was reading about balanced signals here.

"Does That Mean I Can Plug My Standard Headphones Into a Balanced Amp and Get a Balanced Signal?

No. But you can listen to standard headphones on a balanced headphone amp just fine, you're just not listening in true balanced mode."

So this is puzzling me. How? We were told it's not possible. It's also just curious to me why you can't combine a balanced output into a normal single ended signal with a special adapter?

I would be truly glad if I could connect my old headphones into balanced output and listening in the old signal mode. No need for it to be balanced. If that's possible, then I can truly justify buying AMP8.

Again, you can not hook (Negative pole into Positive pole), go try it on a car battery and see what happen. This is why you can not plug a Single ended Headphones into a Balanced out Amp. You can, however, plug Balanced headphones into Single Ended Amp out without issue (try joining Earth to Earth and see what happen on a battery). Basic electrical stuff that you can experiment for self entertaining

Nov 26, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #19,083 of 22,021
Again, you can not hook (Negative pole into Positive pole), go try it on a car battery and see what happen. This is why you can not plug a Single ended Headphones into a Balanced out Amp. You can, however, plug Balanced headphones into Single Ended Amp out without issue (try joining Earth to Earth and see what happen on a battery). Basic electrical stuff that you can experiment for self entertaining

You will be surprised with people's imagination. I was on the same argument at MSR7 thread about balanced amp and single-ended headphone. Apparently, you can use an adapter with inline resistance/resistor and plug in any single-ended headphone. It will not blow up the amp as it presents a load and not a short. But it will obviously make the headphone sound different than it's actual tuning.

As usual, someone will like how it will sound out of that setup and will argue they found the right combo for their headphone due to the adapter and will start preaching their discovery.

Nov 26, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #19,086 of 22,021
Night-time bed-side story *adult version* of healthy entertainment :D

Mini-Susy-Dynalo ** DX208Ti-EX ** 4.4mm to XLR 3 Dual ** Low-gain ** max 150 volume ** into SR-1 Ibasso with perforated pads ** CB15 Cables

55707859-647E-4A9D-8771-60227FADB039.jpeg

Nov 27, 2018 at 7:14 AM Post #19,088 of 22,021
The world goes so fast. DSD512 is not THE BEST anymore...here we go 1024 :)

I know about dsd1024 for a while, and there are other apps that can do this. The problem is....what DSP chip can do this processing ? Xu-216 can (Xmos), but what else in hardware implementation ? What devices use this chip ?

LKS004 is capable of dsd1024 since it first came out 2 years ago ...lol....no interface that can do this

The market is barely catching up to DSD512 and dx200 could do it since 2 years ago, even current flagship DAP can not. I would love to have it in my LKS004

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #19,089 of 22,021
So I bought IEMatch 2.5, and my thoughts are: yeah, it makes the Andromeda less bright, but some recordings are still so bright. For example, it's rather unpleasant to listen to Cowboys from Hell by Pantera (20th anniversary edition), its so piercing. And the cymbals still rattle in Eric Johnson Live in Europe - Zenland. I think what rattles is the open hi-hat, other cymbals sound great. I read about it, and they say it's difficult to record drum cymbals. But I mean, it's 2018 and even top rock and metal bands still have harshly sounding hi-hat? I also read that no earphones can reproduce cymbals properly. Is that so? So is it a not very good recording or insufficient hardware reproduction? What do you guys think, where is the truth? I'm now listening to Porcupine Tree, and the general sound is great, but then the drummer hits open hi hats it's a bit crindgy.

Nov 27, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #19,091 of 22,021
So I bought IEMatch 2.5, and my thoughts are: yeah, it makes the Andromeda less bright, but some recordings are still so bright. For example, it's rather unpleasant to listen to Cowboys from Hell by Pantera (20th anniversary edition), its so piercing. And the cymbals still rattle in Eric Johnson Live in Europe - Zenland. I think what rattles is the open hi-hat, other cymbals sound great. I read about it, and they say it's difficult to record drum cymbals. But I mean, it's 2018 and even top rock and metal bands still have harshly sounding hi-hat? I also read that no earphones can reproduce cymbals properly. Is that so? So is it a not very good recording or insufficient hardware reproduction? What do you guys think, where is the truth? I'm now listening to Porcupine Tree, and the general sound is great, but then the drummer hits open hi hats it's a bit crindgy.

It is hard to reproduce upper frequencies, and it is much worse when there are cross over circuitry, especially anything Multi-drivers and including loud speakers that are into $300k and so on.

The best thing about headphones is that it is 1 Single driver, and the dynamic headphones design and physique will need time to mature, but the best system that can reproduce the upper end frequencies at the most precision will have to be an High-end electro-stat...

Say Orpheus, or He-1 or Stax SR009 and KG T2

And when you get here, there are other things to cook as well.

Nov 27, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #19,092 of 22,021
The world goes so fast. DSD512 is not THE BEST anymore...here we go 1024 :)

Quite useless right now......
Even DSD256 is still not popular, not even talking about DSD512.

Add a question: is there any freeware for upsampling any kind of file to DSD512?

Nov 27, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #19,093 of 22,021
The DX200 is amazing! I'm using the latest Oreo beta, and Lurkers Add-on for it. Using Bluetooth headphones , the volume roller only allows raising volume but not decreasing. The only way lower volume is to use the volume widget. A similar effect takes place using the Mango app on Android mode.

Nov 27, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #19,094 of 22,021
What would be truly amazing would be to add the ability to install Dolby Atmos apk into it. This effect is really profound on the Galaxy Note 9. One of the modes simulates binaural stereo so well on older less complex stereo tracks. It also converts multichannel music into really convincing binaural sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back