DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Jul 5, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #14,386 of 22,021
Guess what just arrived :)

dVTLJhjJBvEOsaU5vRiWuFOsx5AFoD.png

First impression after an hour, and I guess when it will be burned in this will get better... A little surprise : I set volume almost identical to AMP4 while I was expecting to need to turn it down by say 20% based on specs.

First thing you'll notice is AMP8 has the best bass and especially sub bass response, it's tight, well controlled but also it's very physical : bass is heard but also felt! This makes for a very engaging bass. It's fast too. I could see some people thinking it's too much bass quantity, especially compared to the leaner AMP4. It was more apparent with the Phantom, I almost got Vega kick out of them while the VE8 (who have less sub) was more balanced. This might settle down with burn in so, those are first impressions. Mids are clean and articulate, vocals are a tad more forward than AMP4 and I like what I am hearing so far, vocals are more lifelike. Overall it's a more musical and organic tuning but not overdone . I would say between the clean AMP4 and the more musical AMP5 with hits a sweet spot to my taste :) Now highs are as extended as AMP4 but smoother and I like them better than AMP4. I could see some people preferring it the other way.

Second thing you'll notice... and it's not small... if you thought that AMP4 was holographic : think again, AMP8 is even more so and I'd say it comes from significantly better depth : that's where I kind of missed the WM1A I owned previously, and it's just as good and probably even better (that's from memory, so unreliable but you get the idea). This benefits layering greatly, you get several layers of depth with good separation and it's rendered naturally. This makes for an even more engaging listening experience, I am quite enthralled by AMP8's presentation.

Thanks for these initial impressions, sounds very interesting.
I wasn't expecting the bass be so strong (subject to any burn-in alterations).
As long as it's clean and tight though, that's very appealing :)

My ideal sound signature would probably be something in between AMP1 and AMP3.
Fairly neutral, but with a bit more (tight) low-end, big holographic soundstage and separation, and a tinge of musicality, but without any excess warmth or bloat.
I never got to hear the AMP4, so I don't know how close that one was to my description above and how it compared with AMP1 and AMP3?

Jul 5, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #14,388 of 22,021
Guess what just arrived :)

dVTLJhjJBvEOsaU5vRiWuFOsx5AFoD.png

First impression after an hour, and I guess when it will be burned in this will get better... A little surprise : I set volume almost identical to AMP4 while I was expecting to need to turn it down by say 20% based on specs.

First thing you'll notice is AMP8 has the best bass and especially sub bass response, it's tight, well controlled but also it's very physical : bass is heard but also felt! This makes for a very engaging bass. It's fast too. I could see some people thinking it's too much bass quantity, especially compared to the leaner AMP4. It was more apparent with the Phantom, I almost got Vega kick out of them while the VE8 (who have less sub) was more balanced. This might settle down with burn in so, those are first impressions. Mids are clean and articulate, vocals are a tad more forward than AMP4 and I like what I am hearing so far, vocals are more lifelike. Overall it's a more musical and organic tuning but not overdone . I would say between the clean AMP4 and the more musical AMP5 with hits a sweet spot to my taste :) Now highs are as extended as AMP4 but smoother and I like them better than AMP4. I could see some people preferring it the other way.

Second thing you'll notice... and it's not small... if you thought that AMP4 was holographic : think again, AMP8 is even more so and I'd say it comes from significantly better depth : that's where I kind of missed the WM1A I owned previously, and it's just as good and probably even better (that's from memory, so unreliable but you get the idea). This benefits layering greatly, you get several layers of depth with good separation and it's rendered naturally. This makes for an even more engaging listening experience, I am quite enthralled by AMP8's presentation.
Me reacting as I read through your impressions...

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #14,389 of 22,021
havent read this thread for 3 weeks and i see new amps are here, problem is i only have SE IEMs dunno if i should get a AMP7 or AMP8 with CA02 adapter?

Jul 5, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #14,390 of 22,021
havent read this thread for 3 weeks and i see new amps are here, problem is i only have SE IEMs dunno if i should get a AMP7 or AMP8 with CA02 adapter?
Amp7 because you can't convert a SE cable into balanced. Both Ibasso adapters are 2.5mm in.

Jul 5, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #14,391 of 22,021
Amp7 because you can't convert a SE cable into balanced. Both Ibasso adapters are 2.5mm in.

Exactly ! If I am lucky, my Amp8 will be here in a few hours !

Just refreshing my Sony Audiophile MicroSD...just because it matter....waiting for 512GB microSD soon

*there is a science behind MicroSD affecting the sound quality as Sony say* I am unable to hear it, but I was foolish enough to buy it LOL
15307998943028078768607526892394.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #14,392 of 22,021
Hmmm, one thing to note about AMP8... it will suck your battery faster than any other AMP, but there is a price to pay for all that power...
I have sucked 90% battery in only 3 hours, granted I used the screen a lot as I browsed in my library but... something to consider. I'd bet on 4h/4h30mn in regular use.

Note that I am on 45/55 volume level

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #14,393 of 22,021
Hmmm, one thing to note about AMP8... it will suck your battery faster than any other AMP, but there is a price to pay for all that power...
I have sucked 90% battery in only 3 hours, granted I used the screen a lot as I browsed in my library but... something to consider. I'd bet on 4h/4h30mn in regular use.

Not that I am on 45/55 volume level

I don’t care, just as long as it can charge and play simultaneously! I want real powerful delivery portable , and anyone else can tap for Amp4S, I may soon let it go....wait, you are using 90% of max volume with in ears ? Wow Joe!

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #14,394 of 22,021
i'll order the amp7 then :) thnx

Jul 5, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #14,395 of 22,021

Not that I am on 45/55 volume level
I got no chance at the ~75-85 I listen at then :grimacing:

Listen while charge is all I really need as well though. With this all said I'm listening to 4s/Phantoms right now...I didn't have it that bad for the last 2 1/2 months :D

Jul 5, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #14,396 of 22,021

Listen while charge is all I really need as well though. With this all said I'm listening to 4s/Phantoms right now...I didn't have it that bad for the last 2 1/2 months :D
I listen at 110 but that's on SE

Jul 5, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #14,397 of 22,021

I didn't have a listen at AMP4S, would be interesting to have comparison to AMP8 in terms of sig.

Well 45-55 is with the Phantom it would be 50-60 for the VE8 but I am a low volume listener apparently.
I think power consumption will depend on impedance and sensitivity, the VE8 and even more, the Phantom have low impedance and high sensitivity so lower volume but low impedance means it needs current...

I don’t care, just as long as it can charge and play simultaneously! I want real powerful delivery portable , and anyone else can tap for Amp4S, I may soon let it go....wait, you are using 90% of max volume with in ears ? Wow Joe!

Isn't it better to run on battery, more stable current? Blacker background?

Max volume is at 160 so 110 is more like 70%, unless the volume steps are not linear...

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #14,398 of 22,021
It always draw power from the battery, and the battery when connected will just be taking charges in. If the power consumed is not faster than the charging speed, it will be able to charge upto full just in time. However, some people would afraid that while charging the battery, trickled noises may creep into the system. It is technically true, and that is why I love Ibasso design here.

The usb c port is uptop, the charging circuitry is shielded away from amp modules. I forgot where the battery is connected internally, but I really careless. Playing Native DSD512 while charging still sound better than PCM LoL!

Sony WM1Z also had similar design, analog sections are uptop and away from DC and charging circuitry.

I can not observe any noises while playing and charging, so...it just works lol!

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #14,400 of 22,021

Note that I am on 45/55 volume level
I'm sure discrete circuits are not efficient as the integrated ones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back