DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
May 5, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #13,307 of 22,021
9462EFD9-A7A5-454F-BBB7-807C7EE52557.jpeg

Which filter do people use?

I bounce between fast -( linear)
Fast (minimum) and Brick wall.

May 5, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #13,308 of 22,021
May 5, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #13,309 of 22,021
May 5, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #13,310 of 22,021
Pretty sad that Dignis won't be making a leather case for the DX200. Their cases are quite expensive but definitely the best in terms of craftsmenship and materials

May 5, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #13,312 of 22,021
Can someone please explain the effects of each of these filters on the sound? Thanks!
I've read like 4 different explanations and still don't get it.

May 6, 2018 at 6:15 AM Post #13,314 of 22,021
The short version on filters is how they reproduce the musical note edges, textures.

If you want spikier textures with more emphasis on how textured something it, use shorter and brick wall, if you want smoother textures, use slow roll-off filters

Interesting.
Based on this, I just switched from "Fast Roll-Off (Hybrid)" to "Brick Wall (Linear)" and noticed an immediate increase in clarity.
For the record, I was listening to City Wolf's stunning cover of the Pixies classic "Where is my mind?" (from the Observe and Report movie soundtrack) :)
That was a 16/44 FLAC file on DX200 with AMP4s, CB12s cable and IT03 IEM's.

Interestingly, I then tried the "Apodizing (Linear)" filter, and noticed the same clarity and resolution, but an increase in the weight and presence of the low end :)

So glad you guys posted about the filters! I'd found it all pretty baffling and just stuck with the Hybrid filter from the beginning, since its name implied a kind of "best of both worlds" vibe lol
I think also @ExpatinJapan may have mentioned he liked that one in a review or something, but can't remember for sure.

Now I think I'll probably go with the "Apodizing (Linear)" one, except for where I want to reduce the low end a bit; then I'll go with "Brick Wall (Linear)".

I've just fired up "The Gulf of Mexico" by Shawn Mullins, and it's a shimmering, sparkling, chiming joy, loud out on a big soundstage like diamonds on black velvet :D

Cheers, and as @Paul - iBasso always says, "Enjoy the music" :)

Last edited:
May 6, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #13,315 of 22,021
Now try turning on the EQ but having it flat.

Match the volume of the EQ so it matches the filters (filters are a bit more louder on balanced out).

Then switch back and forth between the EQ (on) , then (eq off) to each filter.

Interesting stuff!

May 6, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #13,317 of 22,021
Will iBasso actually respond to AMP4 requests? AMP3 and AMP5 are still available. When is new stock coming?

I believe AMP4 was limited to 250 units. iBasso released AMP4S a couple of weeks ago, and that sold out quickly as well. Although as late as last week I think a few had shown up at some of the distributors. It does seem to be a pretty popular module. Lots of folks with the AMP4S seem to also want the AMP4, and vice versa. And there's a lot with neither who would like either I suspect. It'll be interesting to see what is next though for the AMP4/AMP4S.

May 6, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #13,319 of 22,021
Now try turning on the EQ but having it flat.

Match the volume of the EQ so it matches the filters (filters are a bit more louder on balanced out).

Then switch back and forth between the EQ (on) , then (eq off) to each filter.

Interesting stuff!

Heh, I believe you, but it all sounds like too much hard work for me :p
I've never even opened the EQ function so far :D

May 6, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #13,320 of 22,021
I believe AMP4 was limited to 250 units. iBasso released AMP4S a couple of weeks ago, and that sold out quickly as well. Although as late as last week I think a few had shown up at some of the distributors. It does seem to be a pretty popular module. Lots of folks with the AMP4S seem to also want the AMP4, and vice versa. And there's a lot with neither who would like either I suspect. It'll be interesting to see what is next though for the AMP4/AMP4S.

There's a lot of people who want AMP4/AMP4S. Why don't they make enough to satisfy the demand?

I e-mailed them about it and they did not respond.

For me it's very frustrating that they either can't or won't solve the availability problem, won't communicate with customers about it, and makes me not want to deal with iBasso at all in the future.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back