DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Nov 24, 2017 at 2:06 AM Post #10,171 of 22,021
Nov 24, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #10,172 of 22,021
The Burr Brown is a warm chip, the Sabre is brighter and more resolving.

Of course a lot has to do with the implementation.

I remember when Sabre chips started to come into the market, people said they were to digital, or to bright. People also said that Burr Brown chips were boring.

None of this is really true, because, implementation is everything.
Amen!

Nov 24, 2017 at 2:24 AM Post #10,174 of 22,021
What you have to keep in mind, DX200 has a full Android OS which supports apps and many other processes running in the background, while PR has an embedded Linux with a highly optimized hardware for audio playback. With fast fwd/rwd touch scrolling, they also have a different approach. Plenue will be similar to your smartphone where you just have to touch/swipe the screen. iBasso has a different approach where you have to tap'n'hold the time-marker pointer on the touch bar first, and then drag it to a new position. Kind of similar to what I just discovered with WM1Z, need to tap and hold the touch bar and then swipe it. This introduces some delay in touch forwarding through a track in DX200, but also prevents from accidental skipping through the track. Different approach used by different manufacturers.

Regarding PR, it's more of a higher end mid-fi level, not flagship level like DX200. Will be interesting to see how PR compares to DX120 when it's released :wink:

All this is true. However pure Mango OS on DX is pretty much the same as R's OS - highly customized music focused SW (no background apps running etc) and it's even slower than Android OS so something is wrong. Regarding sound quality please keep in mind I was never comparing them soundwise, only firmwarewise.

Nov 24, 2017 at 3:56 AM Post #10,175 of 22,021
Finally just ordered AMP3. Only been using balanced output on dx200 for last 6weeks, so looking forward to this upgrade :D

Nov 24, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #10,177 of 22,021
Guys, am I the only one who gets random pops when skipping songs while streaming from Tidal or Spotify? DX200 with AM1, for the moment tested only with Stagediver 4 (which are not the most sensitive inears out there). It seems to happen with both 2.4 and 5ghz wifi. If it is just related to my unit, I'm still on time to return it. this doesn't happen when using Mango or when switching WIFI off. Thanks.

Nov 24, 2017 at 5:38 AM Post #10,178 of 22,021
Nov 24, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #10,179 of 22,021
Guys, am I the only one who gets random pops when skipping songs while streaming from Tidal or Spotify? DX200 with AM1, for the moment tested only with Stagediver 4 (which are not the most sensitive inears out there). It seems to happen with both 2.4 and 5ghz wifi. If it is just related to my unit, I'm still on time to return it. this doesn't happen when using Mango or when switching WIFI off. Thanks.

I also get the popping noise on Tidal, also on occasions the music just stops. I am assuming it’s the internet

Nov 24, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #10,180 of 22,021
What is the main difference between AMP2 and AMP5. Does the difference justify me to purchase the AMP5 in addition of AMP2? I have no way to test, and there have not been any reviews so far, so I can only rely on the impression in this thread.

Thanks in advance.

Hi there, well immediately the soundstage is bigger. I was getting great separation of instruments with AMP2, but it feels even more so with AMP5. I am thoroughly enjoying AMP5. I'm burning in the AMP5 and the IT01's by running my library through the DX200 on a loop so I'm mainly using my Angies with it. No joke, it's a phenomenal pairing.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #10,181 of 22,021
Hi there, well immediately the soundstage is bigger. I was getting great separation of instruments with AMP2, but it feels even more so with AMP5. I am thoroughly enjoying AMP5. I'm burning in the AMP5 and the IT01's by running my library through the DX200 on a loop so I'm mainly using my Angies with it. No joke, it's a phenomenal pairing.

Oh nooo, tell me that you are joking. I don’t want to part with my money that fast.

Anyway, from the specs sheet that has been circulating in this thread, although AMP5 is touted to provide more power than the AMP2, it seems that there is no difference between the output of AMP2 and AMP5. So, by any chance do you have any knowledge of the “power” that Paul talked previously?

Also, from your impression that there is more separation with AMP5 than AMP2, then does it mean that it is more resolving and critical rather than warm and lush of the AMP2?

Nov 24, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #10,182 of 22,021
I know on paper the power is the same...but it does sound more powerful. The sound is DEFINITELY not cold and critical. Not by a long shot. There is better separation in AMP5 I feel...the warmth and lush(ness) is, to my ears, more pronounced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back