DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Sep 8, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #8,359 of 22,021
IMG_6546.JPG
Oh, a new special/limited edition of the Andromeda? I haven't heard of it yet. I would expect it to sound airier - does it? :)
Its so airy and pure as snow even I cant hear it

Attachments

• IMG_6546.JPG
    IMG_6546.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 0
Sep 8, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #8,360 of 22,021
Last edited:
Sep 8, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #8,361 of 22,021
One thing I have missed for years is good analogue sound. I have wanted to get a good LP player again and get everything out, I really have missed excellent analogue. There is always that digital edge, even on the best. I found that the Mojo and Hugo did well in this area but the Mojo took off the extension for me and the Hugo some also, even if the measuring shows it as extended. Some people will say that people who grew up on digital are used to the digital edge and that without it, the music isn't right. But I grew up on LP's, some of the finest but things have finally changed.

As I have gotten many more hours on the AMP3, the DX200 has a couple of 1000 hours the AMP3, easily over 400 hours now everything has gotten better and better. This is important because as much as I have liked the AMP3, I have noticed that it smoothed out more and more and the sound of the DX200 has become more and more analogue. Now I can listen to well recorded albums/songs that aren't digital heavy (and even they are much better), and they take me back to the LP analogue! It is important to get the hours on any of the AMP's but I have really heard this on the 3. This tells me that 1. the DX200 has more and more to be discovered. 2. the better the AMP cards, the better the sound will be and 3. I can finally actually really relax and enjoy the full fluid, dynamic and transparent sound I have been looking for. Great stuff!

Sep 8, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #8,362 of 22,021
One thing I have missed for years is good analogue sound. I have wanted to get a good LP player again and get everything out, I really have missed excellent analogue. There is always that digital edge, even on the best. I found that the Mojo and Hugo did well in this area but the Mojo took off the extension for me and the Hugo some also, even if the measuring shows it as extended. Some people will say that people who grew up on digital are used to the digital edge and that without it, the music isn't right. But I grew up on LP's, some of the finest but things have finally changed.

As I have gotten many more hours on the AMP3, the DX200 has a couple of 1000 hours the AMP3, easily over 400 hours now everything has gotten better and better. This is important because as much as I have liked the AMP3, I have noticed that it smoothed out more and more and the sound of the DX200 has become more and more analogue. Now I can listen to well recorded albums/songs that aren't digital heavy (and even they are much better), and they take me back to the LP analogue! It is important to get the hours on any of the AMP's but I have really heard this on the 3. This tells me that 1. the DX200 has more and more to be discovered. 2. the better the AMP cards, the better the sound will be and 3. I can finally actually really relax and enjoy the full fluid, dynamic and transparent sound I have been looking for. Great stuff!

That's why I have my turntable on the same rack as hp amp.
Whenever I want to listen to real analog sound, just pop in a vinyl be it jazz, classical, pop, or Led Zeppelin and listen through Utopia and Aeon at the same time through ALO Studio Six.
Good god, the Sound.

Sep 8, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #8,363 of 22,021

In your opinion (Amp1 vs Amp3) which one warmer .
I don't know which one better for HD800S,I've ordered it but it has not arrived yet(Amp3).

Sep 8, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #8,364 of 22,021
In your opinion (Amp1 vs Amp3) which one warmer .
I don't know which one better for HD800S,I've ordered it but it has not arrived yet(Amp3).

My understanding from description is amp3 more musical which I interpret to be warmer, could be wrong. I also have HD800 S and was very curious to know your experience with DX200. The DX200 can drive the Sennheisers but I have not listened to enough high end stuff to know if I can expect more. After a lot of research I have decided to get the Schiit Mjolnir 2 headphone amp for the following reasons -

1. I had always thought my Beyerdynamic T5P 2 sounded great with DX80. I ordered LQi balanced cables for the T5P and am really surprised how much better headphone sounded (I went from 110 volume to under 90 using balanced output). My problem is I bought DX200 and cables at about the same time so not sure what contributed most to improved sound. Someone posted the increased power of balanced amp was most likely biggest factor, This is making me think more power could improve HD800 S some (I use around 115 to 120 volume).
2. I can experiment with different tubes. I discovered just different cables can make a huge difference. I ordered a UP-OCC silver plated copper cable (Esprit) and an UP-OCC copper cable.(Voda). I like them both but they are very different. I think the Voda would be described as darker and has more punch and Esprit probably would be described as brighter and more airy. So if cables can really change sound I expect tubes could too.

So my next quest is to learn more about cables and tubes. I am curious if there are better cables than the stock balanced cable that came with the Sennhiser HD800 S. I am also curious about where I can find tubes and the difference between them. Opinions valued!

I also want to confirm a previous post about how important burn in is. Before burn in I could describe music as too laid back, a veil over it, recessed, not all there, so on and so forth but that all goes away in time.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #8,365 of 22,021

Just recently bought a Rega Planar 1 turntable, spent three days building a solid oak rack (the wife not to happy) put my talk electronics preamp/power amp in and played through Harbeth Compact 7es 3 speakers. It's been a long time since I played an LP, but holy crap does it sound good. I'm now going to start buying all my favourite music on vinyl as well

Sep 8, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #8,366 of 22,021

Its so airy and pure as snow even I cant hear it

You suppose to say it melts in your ears like a pure snow :p

But, since we are in iBasso thread, don't forget to use CB13 cable with it!!! :D

Sep 8, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #8,367 of 22,021
My understanding from description is amp3 more musical which I interpret to be warmer, could be wrong. I also have HD800 S and was very curious to know your experience with DX200. The DX200 can drive the Sennheisers but I have not listened to enough high end stuff to know if I can expect more. After a lot of research I have decided to get the Schiit Mjolnir 2 headphone amp for the following reasons -

1. I had always thought my Beyerdynamic T5P 2 sounded great with DX80. I ordered LQi balanced cables for the T5P and am really surprised how much better headphone sounded (I went from 110 volume to under 90 using balanced output). My problem is I bought DX200 and cables at about the same time so not sure what contributed most to improved sound. Someone posted the increased power of balanced amp was most likely biggest factor, This is making me think more power could improve HD800 S some (I use around 115 to 120 volume).
2. I can experiment with different tubes. I discovered just different cables can make a huge difference. I ordered a UP-OCC silver plated copper cable (Esprit) and an UP-OCC copper cable.(Voda). I like them both but they are very different. I think the Voda would be described as darker and has more punch and Esprit probably would be described as brighter and more airy. So if cables can really change sound I expect tubes could too.

So my next quest is to learn more about cables and tubes. I am curious if there are better cables than the stock balanced cable that came with the Sennhiser HD800 S. I am also curious about where I can find tubes and the difference between them. Opinions valued!

I also want to confirm a previous post about how important burn in is. Before burn in I could describe music as too laid back, a veil over it, recessed, not all there, so on and so forth but that all goes away in time.

Thanks for advice ,I use Gold plated silver x8 Plussound BAL 2.5 I totally agree with you, in some music, there is a lack of power,But it's pretty good.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #8,369 of 22,021
Hi!

Our new shootout/review including the DX200:
http://headflux.de/showdown-ak70-x5-iii-dx200/

Have fun.

Just saw the review, good job. However, the DX100 was way more than relatively successful. Not for nothing, but was the DAP upon which all the other Daps were measured against. Then to say how the DX50 was more successful?? Huh? It was nowhere near the flagship DX100 dude. But other than that it was a very good read.

Sep 8, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #8,370 of 22,021
You are probably had been waiting for this. The battle of the titan : Wm1Z and Dx200 Amp1 and Amp3 in details. They are on the same ground, same with differences. Here we go

** it is crazy, Dx200+amp3 is hell of a fighter....Pacman VS Floyd...LOL

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-wm1z-wm1a.815841/page-951#post-13710247

Really nice put!

Having heard both, my ears liked DX200 more, even with AM01, it is a dream-DAP sound-wise.

I have around 100 hours or so on AM01 and less on AM03, but to me AM01 already sounds quite analogue, and I'm not talking about the treble or the bass, but about the mids, they have a sweetness, air and detail to them, that sounds as such, that while AM01 has a somewhat dry character, it is charming and musical, it is like it reproduces thing shortly, but this enables more to come through, especially when we're talking about metal songs with multiple guitar layers or multiple instruments in a similar space, DX200 separates them, and plays them, without sounding digital, they are playful and engaging somehow.

Still trying to find the best way to describe what I'm hearing.

Using HiFiMAN RE-2000 as IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back