DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Aug 29, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #7,996 of 22,021
If you "tap" the ˅ at the end of the filter setting on the display it will open and show you what each fiter does.
serveimage

Yes, I find that a lovely feature, really glad iBasso implemented this graphical way of showing a bit about each filter!

Aug 29, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #7,999 of 22,021
I ordered my Amp3 from the Ibasso website a couple of days ago and have just had a message from DHL saying the delivery is scheduled for Friday which is pretty impressive. The downside is they won't deliver it unless I pay importation charges of £3.37. Strange figure. Looking forward to trying it out with my LCD-XC cans that according to my audiophile friend need a more powerful amp than Amp1.

Aug 29, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #8,000 of 22,021
In terms of the filters, I can hear slight differences, but I couldn't say that one actually improves the sound, they just sound different, and after a few seconds, I can't hear the effect anymore. It's kind of like the music shifts slightly when a new filter is applied, but the shift is so slight it doesn't impact the ability to hear clearer, and the effect fades quickly. I do think that unltrasonic ringing can effect the audible portions of the music in the same way that a rock thrown in a pool at one side will change the waves of the pool in the other side, even if you couldn't see the original splash.

I will say that I thought the brick wall filter sounded a little bit crisper in the highs, and I liked it on stuff that needed a bit of extra sparkle - heresy I know, we are supposed to hate brickwall filtering :) But overall I have been using the Apodising filter most, it sounds slightly more smooth? But really if I leave on any filter on for a while, I don't notice it's characteristics at all, and if I switch to another, after a minute I don't notice anything about the sound that sticks out as an improvement. Different is not always better.

Aug 29, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #8,002 of 22,021
Well....I have ES9038Pro DAC, so I am not sure what DX200 does or can do with the digital filters to the performances, but I can offer some experiences here. In my opinion, the best filter to use is Apodizing. I can observe better transparency details, resolving, extensions and much clearer background which ultimately also improves the holographic soundstage presentations. I have to say the best thing about Apodizing that I love the most is the cleaner performances and better transparency details.

With the latest claims about Amp3 and Dx200, and the specifications. I am very very curious about how it will perform in comparison to WM1Z out of my Utopia and Stax 009 system. I bit the bullet and ordered it from Ibasso as there is no Amp3 in the US yet....and PenonAudio is from the same origin. I hope to have Dx200 soon to do some comparisons just for curiosity

Aug 29, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #8,004 of 22,021
Here is a link to an article on HD Audio and "ringing" effect.
http://www.amr-audio.co.uk/large_image/Tech Paper 3 - Ringing.pdf

Excellent note, that is pretty much how it works technically speaking.

In terms of the filters, I can hear slight differences, but I couldn't say that one actually improves the sound, they just sound different, and after a few seconds, I can't hear the effect anymore. It's kind of like the music shifts slightly when a new filter is applied, but the shift is so slight it doesn't impact the ability to hear clearer, and the effect fades quickly. I do think that unltrasonic ringing can effect the audible portions of the music in the same way that a rock thrown in a pool at one side will change the waves of the pool in the other side, even if you couldn't see the original splash.

I will say that I thought the brick wall filter sounded a little bit crisper in the highs, and I liked it on stuff that needed a bit of extra sparkle - heresy I know, we are supposed to hate brickwall filtering :) But overall I have been using the Apodising filter most, it sounds slightly more smooth? But really if I leave on any filter on for a while, I don't notice it's characteristics at all, and if I switch to another, after a minute I don't notice anything about the sound that sticks out as an improvement. Different is not always better.

I don't think we should hate brick wall filtering, it is the most honest type of filter, you want the absolutely closest to natural you can get, you typically go for brick walling :beyersmile:

Aug 29, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #8,005 of 22,021
Yes, it certainly is possible to use it that way. But considering that the DX has a high performance DAC, it would be a waste to use it as a transport only.

Anyway, it is true that the capability of the Hugo should be significantly better than the DX (at least on paper, haven't got the chance to demo), but you can find a transport that infinitely cheaper than the DX200. Shanling?

I'm currently demoing the HUGO2 as a US tour participant. I'm comparing it with the DX200.... should be done sometime this week.

Aug 29, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #8,006 of 22,021
Anyone have experience with the Aeon Flow planar headphones and the DX200?

Aug 29, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #8,007 of 22,021
Well....I have ES9038Pro DAC, so I am not sure what DX200 does or can do with the digital filters to the performances, but I can offer some experiences here. In my opinion, the best filter to use is Apodizing. I can observe better transparency details, resolving, extensions and much clearer background which ultimately also improves the holographic soundstage presentations. I have to say the best thing about Apodizing that I love the most is the cleaner performances and better transparency details.

With the latest claims about Amp3 and Dx200, and the specifications. I am very very curious about how it will perform in comparison to WM1Z out of my Utopia and Stax 009 system. I bit the bullet and ordered it from Ibasso as there is no Amp3 in the US yet....and PenonAudio is from the same origin. I hope to have Dx200 soon to do some comparisons just for curiosity
Not sure what you mean about no Amp 3 in the US, just order from the iBasso website, no? I'm in NY and got mine in about 3-4 business days after ordering.

Aug 29, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #8,008 of 22,021
Not sure what you mean about no Amp 3 in the US, just order from the iBasso website, no? I'm in NY and got mine in about 3-4 business days after ordering.

Couldn't find a place that offered it within the states, so I just ordered through Ibasso website and contacts. I do hope it would arrive within 3-4 days, so I can have spend my weekends with it :)

On another note, where did you order it from within the states ? Others may want to know

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #8,009 of 22,021
Couldn't find a place that offered it within the states, so I just ordered through Ibasso website and contacts. I do hope it would arrive within 3-4 days, so I can have spend my weekends with it :)

On another note, where did you order it from within the states ? Others may want to know
From the iBasso website. I ordered on a Thursday and received it on the next Monday.

Hope you get it before the weekend as well so you can enjoy as much as I do :ksc75smile:

Aug 29, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #8,010 of 22,021
If you "tap" the ˅ at the end of the filter setting on the display it will open and show you what each fiter does.
serveimage
Yes, I've noticed it myself.
But I had hard time interpreting these graphical displays. Particulary when I see similar lines, one with the peak toward left side, the other one peak in the center.
I then listened to the same song with different filters and noticed nearly zero difference...Alas. Thank you for your advise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back