DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
May 28, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #6,331 of 22,021
Only if Tidal would implement support for external USB DACs.
What's wrong with Tidal software itself? AFAIK it is 16/44.1KHz material, and, as such, it should not be any difference which software to use. Or, did I miss something?
I might be mistaken but I believe the Tidal app does some audio processing of it's own, so the audio quality doesn't seem to be as high as when streaming through USB Audio Player. Feels more detailed and dynamic there.

May 28, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #6,332 of 22,021
Thanks, what about hissing Andromeda? More than single ended AMP1?

Thanks for pointing this out. I did say that hissing level is the same with sensitive and low impedance iems, but forgot to mention "same as AMP1" (just updated the write up). There is no difference, if you hear hissing with AMP1 (SE or BAL) you will hear the same level with AMP2. And those who don't hear any hissing with AMP1 paired up with their Andromeda, Zeus, W80 or ES60/ES80, or DN2000J, etc - you don't have to worry about AMP2 either :wink:

May 29, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #6,334 of 22,021
I feel myself very proud announcing release of Firmware 2.2.110-L2! Since release of L1, a lot of work was done, including communications with developers of USB Audio Player PRO, Neutron Music Player and HibyMusic, to make them work better with USB Audio. Recently released Neutron Music Player 1.95.0 is fully compatible, and a special build of the free HibyMusic is embedded into this firmware release, with a kind permission of HiBy Music company! The required changes were made by myself. This build allows you to install the official versions via Google Play Market in addition.

Another hidden work was done to let MacOS and Linux users install my firmware builds. A separate zip archive to flash using rkflashtool is available now! A compatible build of rkflashtool was pushed into Homebrew for easy install in MacOS. Please read the firmware description for step-by-step instructions.

The new features of USB Audio application (turn on/off USB DAC mode of DX200; save/restore system sound settings), along with a good player pre-installed, allow to disable MangoPlayer in Android Apps settings, without loosing neither functionality nor sound quality.

Warning: This firmware build fixes a problem, that exFAT formatted media was mounted under default name, not by UUID, as it should. Now all supported file systems are mounted by UUID, but, after the first boot, you may find your microSD (and music library!) at a different path.

Here is the full list of differences between 2.2.110-L2 and the official firmware:
Mango mode:
  • Removed Android services, that are not used in this mode.
  • Enabled USB Reader mode (with some restrictions - read the description!)
  • Fonts are replaced with a font based on Roboto Condenced.
But you should not need Mango mode anymore with all the advantages of the full Android!
Android mode:
  • Embedded USB Audio for DX200 application which lets you play bit-perfect music from any supported sources and formats using USB Audio Player PRO, Neutron Music, or embedded special build of HibyMusic, with all their advanced features. It also addresses performance (listen even DST SACD!) and power control (play/pause key works!) issues with screen turned off.
  • USB Mass Storage instead of MIDI to problem free access to microSD on any platform.
  • Google Play Market for easy install apps, including paid or with in-app purchases.
  • SuperSU for those who really need it.
  • exFAT and NTFS media are mounted by UUID, to prevent problems with mounting two storages with the same format.
  • Some performance and stability optimization.
Please spend some time to read the descriptions of the firmware and USB Audio for DX200 that I've written, before making your decision or asking questions!

Thanks for all the work and sharing!

I was a bit hesitant to try, beause I never used the batch tool before. Afraid of screwing things up.
But with the supplied manual it is a piece of cake.

I have two questions though:
  1. In what way is the embedded Hiby app different from the 'original' Google play version?
  2. Does the embedded Hiby app need to be driven through USB audio app for best results?, or is it the same when one only uses the Hiby app? (In case my question is not clear; I mean just opening Hiby by clicking on the Hiby icon, instead of opening USB audio app first and then run Hiby from there?)
Thanks for your reply

May 30, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #6,335 of 22,021
1. Modified HibyMusic has removed software volume control for bit-perfect playback. With original version, it is required to rotate the wheel to raise the volume to the maximum in HibyMusic each time USB DAC is attached. Also, it means, you can't control actual volume when original HibyMusic is at the foreground.
2. Without USB Audio, HibyMusic plays all at 16/44.1KHz, downsampling anything else. For CD-sourced 16/44.1 it plays bit perfect anyway (which is good: see 'Known problem' in USB Audio description). For hi-res and DSD, of course, better to use USB Audio and let our great DAC (ESS9028PRO) to deal with the original sound data.

Just in case, I must say, HibyMusic requires much less CPU resources playing hi-res and DSD, than UAPP or Neutron.
Afraid of screwing things up.
It is impossible to brick RockChip based devices: Factory tool is always able to flash firmware. Recovery console is not touched with my build, and always can be used as well, with stock OTA firmware files.

Last edited:
May 30, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #6,336 of 22,021
1. Modified HibyMusic has removed software volume control for bit-perfect playback. With original version, it is required to rotate the wheel to raise the volume to the maximum in HibyMusic each time USB DAC is attached. Also, it means, you can't control actual volume when original HibyMusic is at the foreground.
2. Without USB Audio, HibyMusic plays all at 16/44.1KHz, downsampling anything else. For CD-sourced 16/44.1 it plays bit perfect anyway (which is good: see 'Known problem' in USB Audio description). For hi-res and DSD, of course, better to use USB Audio and let our great DAC (ESS9028PRO) to deal with the original sound data.

Just in case, I must say, HibyMusic requires much less CPU resources playing hi-res and DSD, than UAPP or Neutron.
It is impossible to brick RockChip based devices: Factory tool is always able to flash firmware. Recovery console is not touched with my build, and always can be used as well, with stock OTA firmware files.

Clear

Most of my music is cd sourced, so there I'll use Hiby only
Other material Hiby through USB audio

Thanks again

May 30, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #6,338 of 22,021
That hardware mod worked, in general, but looked not so great, and was not so convenient: the button extension tended to cling the pocket's edge. Also, it prevents to disassemble of DX200. Recently I, by chance, came across a local DIY shop, and found the solution:
9933396.jpeg

Swarovski crystals of SS20 size (4.7 mm) fit the button top exactly! They come without hotfix, to be glued on any surface. The local shop is good, because I can touch and see them, and buy even only one crystal. But the color and effects selection is not full, of course. Because I need a button and not a decoration, I went for 2088 Crystal (001) color with Dark Grey (L111S) effect. It is without foiling, and, as such, does not glitter much.

For those who want to repeat this experience, I strongly recommend to disassembly this part (2 screws) and take the buttons block off for gluing. Finally I used not cyanoacrylate based glue, but a transparent glue that allows correction, to have enough time to align the crystal on the button.

Last edited:
May 30, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #6,339 of 22,021
That hardware mod worked, in general, but looked not so great, and was not so convenient: the button extension tended to cling the pocket's edge. Also, it prevents to disassemble of DX200. Recently I, by chance, came across a local DIY shop, and found the solution:
9933396.jpeg

Swarovski crystals of SS20 size (4.7 mm) fit the button top exactly! They come without hotfix, to be glued on any surface. The local shop is good, because I can touch and see them, and buy even only one crystal. But the color and effects selection is not full, of course. Because I need a button and not a decoration, I went for 2088 Crystal (001) color with Dark Grey (L111S) effect. It is without foiling, and, as such, does not glitter much.

For those who want to repeat this experience, I strongly recommend to disassembly this part (2 screws) and take the buttons block off for gluing. Finally I used not cyanoacrylate based glue, but a transparent glue that allows correction, to have enough time to align the crystal on the button.

Sweet mod! Did the magical Swarovski crystal make the sound appear any darker? :beyersmile:

On a more serious note, this really seems like a nice and easy modification to "find" the buttons more easily on the go/in a rush. Thanks for sharing.

- - - - - - - - -

Paul, any plans to release a limited and exclusive Swarovski edition of the DX200 in the near future? :ring::wink:

May 30, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #6,340 of 22,021
Sweet mod! Did the magical Swarovski crystal make the sound appear any darker? :beyersmile:

On a more serious note, this really seems like a nice and easy modification to "find" the buttons more easily on the go/in a rush. Thanks for sharing.

- - - - - - - - -

Paul, any plans to release a limited and exclusive Swarovski edition of the DX200 in the near future? :ring::wink:
We will take it under consideration. High or low sparkle?

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
May 30, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #6,343 of 22,021
Answer regarding new fw from chinese webboard.

截屏_20170531_085526.jpg

May 30, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #6,344 of 22,021
So, just ordered the DX200. Hoping that it sounds as good as it looks and the reviewers write. Still have the HDP-R10, the Japanese version of the DX100. Great player for it's time.

So, the default amp is a jack of all trades, correct?
Amp 2 is more for power, correct?
Will Amp 3 be for for those who use mostly iem's?

May 30, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #6,345 of 22,021
So, just ordered the DX200. Hoping that it sounds as good as it looks and the reviewers write. Still have the HDP-R10, the Japanese version of the DX100. Great player for it's time.

So, the default amp is a jack of all trades, correct?
Amp 2 is more for power, correct?
Will Amp 3 be for for those who use mostly iem's?
It depends if you use Amp 1 balanced or SE vs Amp 2 I'd think. All the comparisons I've seen are between Amp 1 in SE and Amp 2... But not Amp 1 balanced vs Amp 2 for some reason. Haven't gotten any answers on comparisons there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back