DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Mar 14, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #258 of 22,021

This one looks the best out of all. I can see that you guys are trying to copy AK380's asymmetric body and volume knob! 
But this is not bad at all. I like it over Fiio X7.

I hope this time you guys don't fail with battery life, UI, and touchscreen.
DX100 can barely last 4 hours... 
It's unbelievable considering its $699 price tag. 

We need two full-sized SDXC card slots, DXD, DSD256 support, 5,000mAh battery, folder browser, good quality touchscreen. A 1/4" inch adapter is not a bad idea at all. 1/4" adapter on DX100 was very good.

Mar 15, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #262 of 22,021
No 1/4" output.....no sale. Simple.

Agree.

- DSD 256
- DXD
- SACD ISO  http://www.head-fi.org/content/type/61/id/1248123/width/500/height/1000/flags/LL
- 1/4" Output 
- Three Gain Stages
- No file loading time on startup... (DX100 takes 20 mins to load files in an SD card. It shows all files with playing time 00:00 for 20 mins while loading)
- Less buggier OS (DX100 could freeze at least once in every two days) 
- Multichannel FLAC / WAV support (DX100 couldn't play 5.1 or 7.1 lossless files..... it freezes when you try) 
- Two full-sized SDXC card slots...    a 256GB PNY SDXC card is only $78 now.. why are we saving on SD card slot in 2016?? 
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WWBCS1Y/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687662&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00FF90EZM&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1A9JHEYPPKT1BFSY3HPC

A 512GB SDXC card is only $199 now.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XJRX01M/ref=twister_B00X0VL4FG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-Class-SDA10-512GB/dp/B013T4S0BY/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1458037303&sr=1-4&keywords=512gb+sdxc

Mar 15, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #263 of 22,021
It's such a crowded marketplace now with AK wannabes.....and cheaper great value Chinese players.....both great by the way....but were drowning in similarity and arguing over chip types and button feel, etc.....let's break the mold and dare to be different with this player.....i can't help feeling a companies premier player needs to fill the gap between the mojo's and the AK you're players....why have two devices when one will do....charge £1000, undercut all the heavily designed players but kill it on power and character and well thought out engineering....at least in parity with the designer and their aesthetic constraints.....fill a niche and create a cult classic again. Pretty is ok to look at....but I want my ears to make me smile on this one...not my eyes.

Mar 15, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #264 of 22,021
No 1/4" output.....no sale. Simple.

... even the latest ColorFly C10 abandoned their traditional 1/4" output port
biggrin.gif
  Can you name at least one mainstream popular DAP in the last 1+ year with 1/4" output?  I don't count "boutique" LP5 Gold since that was luxury&precision reminiscence from colorfly days
wink.gif

Just think about it, who is driving headphone output connector demand?  Headphones.  When everybody is switching to low impedance portable efficient ones with 3.5mm connectors and manufacturers trying to keep their daps slim - 1/4" HO is no longer a popular choice for portable daps.  Just a reality.  For big hard to drive inefficient cans, people use external desktop amps that come with 1/4" or XLR, etc.  For portable use with efficient headphones - 3.5mm ports.  Or an external portable amp with variety of ports and built in battery to drive demanding cans without draining DAP's battery.

And dual stacked uSD card readers, like in DX80, are also in demand.  Amazon has 200GB uSD for $59 (on back order, though).  Soon, I will have a hard time finding SD cards for my LPG and will end up using uSD with an adapter lol!!!

Mar 15, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #265 of 22,021

And dual stacked uSD card readers, like in DX80, are also in demand.  Amazon has 200GB uSD for $59 (on back order, though).  Soon, I will have a hard time finding SD cards for my LPG and will end up using uSD with an adapter lol!!!

Wrong,

Two 512GB SD cards will make this player a 1TB player. 
That's wiser since DSD files are very big (3GB to 5GB per an album). One DSD 256 or DXD (32bit 382kHz) album is 10GB.

Remember when the first 512GB Sandisk Extreme SD card came out? They asked $899 per a card...
If a microSD card ever reaches 512GB, they will ask even more than that price. You will end up spending more money for cards than the price of this DAP.
microSD is an incredible technology but functionally full-sized SD is much better. Full-sized SD card is cheaper and better in every way.

In five years, I imagine microSD card will catch that up... but in five years, I imagine DX200 will be outdated as well. 
I think it's better to use what's good for now... it won't future proof or fix anything...

Mar 15, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #266 of 22,021
Wrong,

Two 512GB SD cards will make this player a 1TB player. 

That's wiser since DSD files are very big (3GB to 5GB per an album). One DSD 256 album is 10GB.

Wow 10Gb and here Im thinking albums in 24bit 192hz at close to 1Gb are alot of space. Is it also normal for files to sound smaller in volume as the quality increases like from 16 bit to 24 bit? Usually the 24 bit files sound softer and lower in volume. Apart from that, the hype for this player is really building up!

Mar 15, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #267 of 22,021
... even the latest ColorFly C10 abandoned their traditional 1/4" output port :D   Can you name at least one mainstream popular DAP in the last 1+ year with 1/4" output?  I don't count "boutique" LP5 Gold since that was luxury&precision reminiscence from colorfly days :wink:

Just think about it, who is driving headphone output connector demand?  Headphones.  When everybody is switching to low impedance portable efficient ones with 3.5mm connectors and manufacturers trying to keep their daps slim - 1/4" HO is no longer a popular choice for portable daps.  Just a reality.  For big hard to drive inefficient cans, people use external desktop amps that come with 1/4" or XLR, etc.  For portable use with efficient headphones - 3.5mm ports.  Or an external portable amp with variety of ports and built in battery to drive demanding cans without draining DAP's battery.

Precisely my point dear boy....why replicate what is already out there? Why have separate stack to carry around? Why not make something slightly more diverse in one powerhouse which is still portable but an all in one solution at a different price point and design philosophy to AK? And I would challenge your assumption that the trend is to more efficient cans of portable type....the full size, no compromise can market is just as strong and vibrant...and I mention it as a have both option....why not? There's no need to follow the crowd in any aspect of life.....mutation is the life blood of evolution :)

Mar 15, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #268 of 22,021

... even the latest ColorFly C10 abandoned their traditional 1/4" output port
biggrin.gif
  Can you name at least one mainstream popular DAP in the last 1+ year with 1/4" output?  I don't count "boutique" LP5 Gold since that was luxury&precision reminiscence from colorfly days
wink.gif

Precisely my point dear boy....why replicate what is already out there? Why have separate stack to carry around? Why not make something slightly more diverse in one powerhouse which is still portable but an all in one solution at a different price point and design philosophy to AK? And I would challenge your assumption that the trend is to more efficient cans of portable type....the full size, no compromise can market is just as strong and vibrant...and I mention it as a have both option....why not? There's no need to follow the crowd in any aspect of life.....mutation is the life blood of evolution :)

I will take "dear boy" comment lighthearted since you don't know if I'm old enough to be your father, son
tongue.gif

Everybody has their own preference and justification of it, but at the end of the day most of the companies make their final decision not to satisfy a handful of a few, but to SELL the product to majority based on the overall demand of the market.  I'm not arguing with you guys what is right or wrong, and I would hate to be in shoes of any DAP manufacturer who is scratching their head now trying to figure out what to put inside of their black box.  In reality you can have 400GB across dual uSD slots, and a tiny usb otg thumb readers like Meenova with another 200GB, plus whatever internal memory they will include.  So you are talking about 600GB + up to 128GB or more on the go.  Now, add to that wifi streaming for "unlimited" Spotify/Tidal/Pandora, and network streaming at home for yet another "unlimited" supply of storage.  Storage is important for sure, but sound quality, ergonomics and usability, and battery life are far ahead on my priority list, and for me personally 1/4" or SD vs uSD is not a deal breaker
wink.gif

Regarding the wish list, I could be wrong, but I have a feeling iBasso is way pass that point and most likely finalized the list of main DX200 features already, thus Paul's acknowledgement to share with us DX200 spec any day now...

Mar 15, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #269 of 22,021
I see no reason for any DAP-maker to insist on using microSD slots on a DAP unless they are trying to make it as absolutely tiny as possible (sometimes that's relevant, but not always).

Fullsize SD slots allow people to carry on using microSD cards, if they want to, but also allows people to buy cheaper / higher-capacity fullsize SD cards if they want to.

A flagship audiophile DAP is aimed at... audiophiles. These very same people will also have an ever-increasing amount of Hi-Res music, as remastered (and newly-mastered) albums are increasingly being sold as Hi-Res downloads.

Why should audiophiles spend almost (or over) a thousand bucks on a TOTL flagship DAP, and yet still be forced into unnecessary memory limitations that compromise their Hi-Res music library?

I absolutely despair of DAP-makers who repeatedly sell their customers short, when it comes to memory capacity/expansion.

James (Fiio) seems to have finally woken-up to the fact that there is a market for a device with fullsize SD slots. God knows, it's about time one of the DAP-makers finally realised this

Mar 15, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #270 of 22,021
  I see no reason for any DAP-maker to insist on using microSD slots on a DAP unless they are trying to make it as absolutely tiny as possible (sometimes that's relevant, but not always).

Fullsize SD slots allow people to carry on using microSD cards, if they want to, but also allows people to buy cheaper / higher-capacity fullsize SD cards if they want to.

A flagship audiophile DAP is aimed at... audiophiles. These very same people will also have an ever-increasing amount of Hi-Res music, as remastered (and newly-mastered) albums are increasingly being sold as Hi-Res downloads.

Why should audiophiles spend almost (or over) a thousand bucks on a TOTL flagship DAP, and yet still be forced into unnecessary memory limitations that compromise their Hi-Res music library?

I absolutely despair of DAP-makers who repeatedly sell their customers short, when it comes to memory capacity/expansion.

James (Fiio) seems to have finally woken-up to the fact that there is a market for a device with fullsize SD slots. God knows, it's about time one of the DAP-makers finally realised this

Exactly.

As I have mentioned above, one DXD (32bit 382kHz) or DSD 256 album is 10GB.
It means you can put only 20 of them into a 200GB microSD card.

Do you buy a device that costs $700 to carry only 20 albums each on two cards? 

That's absolutely ridiculous......If you're satisfied with only 40 albums at a time, maybe you're not an audiophile. I assume you're a gear collector who don't care too much about music.

With two full-sized SD card slots, we get 1TB with much faster file transfer speed. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back