DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Jun 29, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #14,191 of 22,021
Has anyone taken the full jump from 2.5mm to 4.4mm on the DX200? Is it worth the jump? I've been considering making the switch to the 4.4mm version of my cable (Thor II) and AMP 4/4s. . . 64 Audio A18t btw. . . any input greatly appreciated.

Also @Lurker0 and @Paul - iBasso thank you for the most recent firmware updates!
I’m using a 4.4mm ALO Litz and a 2.5mm with the CA02 adaptor. I’d like to get the CB13 reterminated to a 4.4mm, I’d like to have all 4.4mm cables in the end.

Jun 29, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #14,192 of 22,021
Has anyone taken the full jump from 2.5mm to 4.4mm on the DX200? Is it worth the jump? I've been considering making the switch to the 4.4mm version of my cable (Thor II) and AMP 4/4s. . . 64 Audio A18t btw. . . any input greatly appreciated.

Also @Lurker0 and @Paul - iBasso thank you for the most recent firmware updates!
Yes, I am. My suggestion is you should do it!! haha
I own both AMP4 and AMP4s. I primarily use AMP4. Speaking about EA plugs, I think the Gold plated OFC plug of Pentaconn which would be equivalent SQ to my Bispa Gold plated 3N copper plug on my Brimar The Prince cable (I am not sure whether Pentaconn X EA colaboration plug is Pentaconn OFC version or not) could be called improved version of 2.5mm. Oyaide PP (a.k.a Psquared). More natural tonality and better overall impact. (Though this is not direct A/B test, just projected estimation)

Remark : Oyaide PP is Paladium+Platinum plated Brass plug.

Jun 29, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #14,193 of 22,021
Is there anybody not going to order amp 7 or 8 ?

Since it's not limited, I'm definitely waiting for some impressions first. Hate buying blind. I wanted an analytical amp, so I jumped on the AMP4s purchase, but turns out the redesigned amp was more on the musical side.

Jun 29, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #14,194 of 22,021

Re-terminated most of my 2.5mm plugs to the EA x Pentaconn collab plug already. Much easier to handle than using an adapter, but loses some versatility as a result. However, I only use my IEMs with the DX200 so it doesn't really bother me.

DX200.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #14,195 of 22,021
Since it's not limited, I'm definitely waiting for some impressions first. Hate buying blind. I wanted an analytical amp, so I jumped on the AMP4s purchase, but turns out the redesigned amp was more on the musical side.
+1 but I have a good feeling about these ones : ) Which means absolutely nothing, so maybe I'm just a dilt. There will be no waiting here

Jun 29, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #14,196 of 22,021
I'm not planning to get Amp8. I've 4 and 4s. That should suffice.

Amp7 or 8 would be more beneficial to people driving power hungry cans.

On a different note, I've been using 4s for a while now and switched to 4.

Definitely 4 is more closer to neutral than 4s.

4s has extension at both ends than 4.

4s seems to have more resolution compared to 4. Which I hadn't noticed when switching from 4 to 4s.

Anybody noticed or heard what I hear?

Edit: I tried for a few hours the 2.5mm. But after that it's been 4.4mm. Never going back to 2.5mm except for daps that have 2.5mm only

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #14,197 of 22,021
I'm not planning to get Amp8. I've 4 and 4s. That should suffice.

Amp7 or 8 would be more beneficial to people driving power hungry cans.

On a different note, I've been using 4s for a while now and switched to 4.

Definitely 4 is more closer to neutral than 4s.

4s has extension at both ends than 4.

4s seems to have more resolution compared to 4. Which I hadn't noticed when switching from 4 to 4s.

Anybody noticed or heard what I hear?

Edit: I tried for a few hours the 2.5mm. But after that it's been 4.4mm. Never going back to 2.5mm except for daps that have 2.5mm only

You are correct, and I heard the same thing. I however let go of Amp4 to the next person in line as it was not good synergy with Hd800S. I love Amp4S + HD800S + D512 Native

Jun 29, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #14,198 of 22,021
Not the full jump. But I'm close. I'd been using the CA02 Balanced Adapter for a while. No issues at all except it's a bit cumbersome. Last week I tried the Fiio BL44 and prefer it for mobile use. That said I do think the next step for me will be to just fully commit to 4.4mm with at least one, if not two cables. It's much sturdier. If I get the AMP8 I don't know yet if I'd keep AMP4s or not. Either way I've found I really like the DX200 and the 4.4mm balanced outputs and think it's worth the jump.

+1 totally worth the "jump" and if anything else AMP4 (didn't get the S) was such a jump that I never regretted the move or the adapter. Yeah CA02 is not safe for mobile use, better get a flexible one. For me AMP4 and 5 (which I got) were a big jump in SQ over 1, 2 and even 3. I am very much looking forward to AMP8 and possibly AMP7 (later). The big question mark for me is going to be tuning, as synergy is key over pure performance. But I have never regretted any AMP, even AMP2 at the time was a welcome addition in term of tuning.

I am just wondering how low I'll have to set AMP8 with the Phantom or VE8, listening at 40-55 low gain with AMP4 right now
We're going to need a 3 gain level setting soon :p

I'm not planning to get Amp8. I've 4 and 4s. That should suffice. Amp7 or 8 would be more beneficial to people driving power hungry cans.

Well, I am not sure you can make that assumption that it will be useful only for people with high impedance low efficiency gear, or else AMP4 or 5 are already overkill for any sensitive IEMs... but, what you get even if you don't need the power is headroom and dynamics that are far superior. Personally that's what I am looking for with AMP 8 and 7.

But yeah, AMP8 is going to be in a class of its own in terms of pure power for a DAP with its 6.2 v RMS - aside from AK KANN (with 7v RMS in high gain I think) but it has higher output impedance. And that's only raw power, not even mentioning the (unique?) discrete design.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #14,199 of 22,021
23396A21-F088-47AE-B016-4170521D91DA.jpeg Copy from Ibasso Facebook

AMP8 Fully discrete balanced amp for the DX200 and DX150.

Release: July 2, 2018 Price: 199 USD.

Specifications:
Output Voltage:6.2Vrms
Frequency Response:15Hz-45KHz +/- 0.3dB
S/N:125dB
THD+N: 0.00023%,-113dB (no load@2.5Vrms)
0.00023%,-113dB (300Ω@2.5Vrms)
Output Impedance: 0.38ohm
DNR:125dB
Crosstalk:-120dB

Average Play Time: 7hours. Play time varies with different sample/bit rates, volume and headphone/IEM loads.

Features: +/-8V high voltage swing. This significantly improves dynamics and headroom, resulting in a more accurate sound that is true to the recording.

AMP8 is a complete new discrete circuit design that is dedicated to the DX150/DX200 and features both a high voltage and current output. High current output is very useful for low impedance multi drivers in-ear monitors.

Low VCE transistors are utilized and are manually sorted and paired, providing better consistency and linearity. The low VCE also expands the linearity range.

The transistors used on the buffer stage have a 2700mAh output current rating, which allows the AMP8 to drive IEMs and headphones that require high current with ease.

A Pentaconn 4.4mm balanced output port is used. The large double contact area of this socket contact lowers resistance and allows better current transmission.

*When using OPAMPs to develop an amplifier, it is almost impossible to achieve high voltage output and high current output, especially, on a portable devices. Some engineers have used the TPA6120 on the buffer stage to achieve 750mA output current. However, it has 10ohm output impedance, which isn’t ideal for low impedance IEMs or headphones. So, we decided to use discrete components which are usually used on desktop amplifiers to develop the AMP8 but the development process is much more difficult when using discrete components. After a long development period and with our final design, we present the AMP8 card that has both high voltage and high current output and at the same time maintains low output impedance with extremely good measurements. AMP8 complements the premium performance of the DX150 and the DX200, giving you even more choices when playing the music you enjoy.

Jun 29, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #14,200 of 22,021
Deleted*

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #14,204 of 22,021
I can not wait for amp8, I want it to drive my HD800S!

I’ll be waiting for your review! Let us know what’s your thoughts :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back