DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
May 2, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #13,246 of 22,021
Is there a big difference between 5 and 4s?

May 2, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #13,247 of 22,021
Having heard the DX200AuCu extensibly, it is a remarkable dap. I wish they would produce it but I was told that even at 3000 dollars retail, the cost of the case and other parts is not enough (it weighs more than the WM1Z). The copper is OFC and was very expensive to make and then the gold plating was a little thicker than normal. The sound, nothing I heard compares, not anything but I am really enjoying the DX200 with the AmP4.

It's a moving target, comparison-wise, if there are component changes at the same time as chassis material changes.

We don't thoroughly know what differences there are, how substantial they are, and how much any such differences may be attributable to component changes or material changes.

My main bug-bear with chassis 'upgrades'/'luxury sidegrades' is when they are released incrementally, to milk the cash-cow as much as possible, for the compulsive upgraders and compulsive conspicuous-consumers, of which there seem to be a disporportionate number in southeast Asia, which may be a cultural phenomenon and/or perhaps a symptom of massively-rapidly-expanding economies in that part of the world.

In any case, that kind of incremental releasing smacks of disrespect towards a companys customers. I wouldn't mind as much if DAPs were released with chassis options from day 1. That way, everyone knows the score and no-one gets disappointed when they've supported a company only to find their purchase has been demoted by a newer tweaked version, when the company would've secretly known all along.

In being so vocal about all of this, I don't mean to come across as an overly-opinionated a$$h0l3, it's just that I would hate to see iBasso becoming as cynical and mercenary as iRiver.
I've always respected iBasso (and Fiio, too), for pushing the performance envelope as much as they sincerely can, without going for uber-gouging-pricetags. The prospect of iBasso potentially selling-out by copying iRiver's nauseating price-gouging tactics (as Cowon have blatantly been tip-toeing towards, too, with their ever-more expensive Plenue flagships), fills me with disappointment.

I hope my concerns prove unfounded!
cheers beerchug EMOTICON.gif

Last edited:
May 2, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #13,248 of 22,021
If the Amp4/4s is anything to go by, I don't think they can ramp-up production. This seems to be a niche DAP, at least for us in the States. The sound quality is great and I would buy again in an instant, but I think it's more for the hobbyist than the masses.

A DAP is a niche to begin with, people outside this hobby would just use their phones anyway. iBasso should at least try to keep things in stock like what Fiio, Sony and what other manufacturers are doing instead of limited runs everytime

May 2, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #13,251 of 22,021
It's a moving target, comparison-wise, if there are component changes at the same time as chassis material changes.

We don't thoroughly know what differences there are, how substantial they are, and how much any such differences may be attributable to component changes or material changes.

My main bug-bear with chassis 'upgrades'/'luxury sidegrades' is when they are released incrementally, to milk the cash-cow as much as possible, for the compulsive upgraders and compulsive conspicuous-consumers, of which there seem to be a disporportionate number in southeast Asia, which may be a cultural phenomenon and/or perhaps a symptom of massively-rapidly-expanding economies in that part of the world.

In any case, that kind of incremental releasing smacks of disrespect towards a companys customers. I wouldn't mind as much if DAPs were released with chassis options from day 1. That way, everyone knows the score and no-one gets disappointed when they've supported a company only to find their purchase has been demoted by a newer tweaked version, when the company would've secretly known all along.

In being so vocal about all of this, I don't mean to come across as an overly-opinionated a$$h0l3, it's just that I would hate to see iBasso becoming as cynical and mercenary as iRiver.
I've always respected iBasso (and Fiio, too), for pushing the performance envelope as much as they sincerely can, without going for uber-gouging-pricetags. The prospect of iBasso potentially selling-out by copying iRiver's nauseating price-gouging tactics (as Cowon have blatantly been tip-toeing towards, too, with their ever-more expensive Plenue flagships), fills me with disappointment.

I hope my concerns prove unfounded!

Agree 100% also I sure do hope releasing limited runs of products to increase hype and urgency does not become a thing in this industry.

May 2, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #13,252 of 22,021
Be careful with B and H audio now they sold me a defective used DX200 couple months ago and charged more than buying from ibasso in HK.
I trusted them since I bought photography stuffs and Fiio X5 and X5 III before but after this incident I would not do business with them anymore...

I'm really sorry to hear that. I've used them for over a decade for photography gear (that "hobby" might be more expensive than this one!), and more recently for computer monitors and the like. I've never had a bad experience myself but perhaps should consider myself lucky.

For iBasso stuff though, I really lean towards ordering direct. The DHL shipping is worth the price and it usually gets to Florida within the week.

May 3, 2018 at 5:01 AM Post #13,253 of 22,021
I´m having an issue with the battery indicator. I´m currently using the latest lurker version, and if I charge the DAP completely, it shows initially 100% on the battery indicator. However, if I turn off the DAP and I turn it on some hours later, It shows only 82%. Do you know why this happens?
It must be 88%, not 82% :) This is a known cosmetic problem, meaning, the battery is fully charged, but Android shows a wrong value. If you use your DX200 after charging for a while, and turn it off at the level below 100% (99% is enough), this problem will not show up. If you use DX200 as a regular Android device (don't turn it off, let it sleep when idle), it will never show up.

PM me if you need an explanation with technical details :)

May 3, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #13,254 of 22,021
It must be 88%, not 82% :) This is a known cosmetic problem, meaning, the battery is fully charged, but Android shows a wrong value. If you use your DX200 after charging for a while, and turn it off at the level below 100% (99% is enough), this problem will not show up. If you use DX200 as a regular Android device (don't turn it off, let it sleep when idle), it will never show up.

In this case, for example, if I charge till 100% then turn DX200 off and recharge DX200 again after turn it on with showing 88%, it will be overcharge or not if I recharge from 88% to 100%?

I understand that even it shows 88%, however, actual battery is now 100%.

May 3, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #13,256 of 22,021

Thanks for the reply. You are right, it was 88%. This is the problem:
- 11:22 I get the DAP fully charged.
- 11:23 I shut the DAP down.
- 12:47 I turn it on again and the battery status is only 88%.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/153372168@N03/

But if I connect it to the charger, it keeps on charging from 88% to 100% again:

So it seems that is the opposite of what you say, and when the DAP showed first that it was fully charged, it wasn´t really. It stopped charging when reached 88% although it was showing 100%. So when it restarts it shows the real battery status which is 88%, and lets you charge to the real full charge.

This is my impression and I will be probably wrong, but in any case I don´t consider this issue just a "cosmetic problem" since I cannot rely on the value showed by the DAP.

May 3, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #13,257 of 22,021
Thanks for the reply. You are right, it was 88%. This is the problem:
- 11:22 I get the DAP fully charged.
- 11:23 I shut the DAP down.
- 12:47 I turn it on again and the battery status is only 88%.

But if I connect it to the charger, it keeps on charging from 88% to 100% again:

So it seems that is the opposite of what you say, and when the DAP showed first that it was fully charged, it wasn´t really. It stopped charging when reached 88% although it was showing 100%. So when it restarts it shows the real battery status which is 88%, and lets you charge to the real full charge.

This is my impression and I will be probably wrong, but in any case I don´t consider this issue just a "cosmetic problem" since I cannot rely on the value showed by the DAP.
Have you tried a factory reset for this?

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
May 3, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #13,258 of 22,021
Do you mean the factory data reset which is under Backup & reset option? Should I apply it after reinstalling the last official firmware (since I´m currently running the Lurker´s one)?

May 3, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #13,259 of 22,021
Paul, it happens with my firmware only.
So it seems that is the opposite of what you say,
As I said before, PM me if you need a technical explanation. It is fully charged. It will not overcharge and, moreover, prevents possible overcharging. It's only cosmetic problem. If you don't believe it - just run discharge tests with this and any other firmware version, to see that this one outperforms anything else :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back