DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Dec 1, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #10,277 of 22,021
Here it is, review and comparison of iBasso AMP3, AMP4, AMP5, along with CA01 and CA02 cable adapters: https://twister6.com/2017/12/01/ibasso-amp3-amp4-and-amp5-modules-for-dx200/

ibasso_dx200_amp345-x01.jpg

Dec 1, 2017 at 2:24 AM Post #10,278 of 22,021
Here it is, review and comparison of iBasso AMP3, AMP4, AMP5, along with CA01 and CA02 cable adapters: https://twister6.com/2017/12/01/ibasso-amp3-amp4-and-amp5-modules-for-dx200/

Nice review! which amp would you recommend based on the sound signatures of the S-Em9+thor ii silver and Xelento (both in SE)? Also, at the moment i’m using the amp1(se) and I find it sligthly less revealing and with much more body then x7ii am3a (not necessarily a bad thing, I was just surprised reading all the descriptions of amp1 being cold and analytical). Does this change with burn in for your experience? Thanks:)

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #10,279 of 22,021
Last edited:
Dec 1, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #10,280 of 22,021

Having read through your review, it seems that AMP5 is an upgrade to AMP2.

While I'm okay with AMP5 being a sidegrade to AMP2, I feel cheated by iBasso if AMP5 is significantly better than AMP2.

The reason why I jumped the gun with AMP2 because I thought that AMP would be intended more for an inefficient headphone, with less stellar battery life, which for my IEM use would not be that useful. Alas, I was wrong.

Dec 1, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #10,281 of 22,021
Having read through your review, it seems that AMP5 is an upgrade to AMP2.

While I'm okay with AMP5 being a sidegrade to AMP2, I feel cheated by iBasso if AMP5 is significantly better than AMP2.

The reason why I jumped the gun with AMP2 because I thought that AMP would be intended more for an inefficient headphone, with less stellar battery life, which for my IEM use would not be that useful. Alas, I was wrong.

Nobody cheated anybody. Amp5 is a newer amp module , and so what is the point of new product that offers nothing new ?

Maybe Ibasso should just do sidegrade to your amp 2 and satisfy you alone, then having products on their hands that can not get sold to generate revenue and move on with newer products. Make a lot of senses huh ?

Dec 1, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #10,282 of 22,021
Nobody cheated anybody. Amp5 is a newer amp module , and so what is the point of new product that offers nothing new ?

Maybe Ibasso should just do sidegrade to your amp 2 and satisfy you alone, then having products on their hands that can not get sold to generate revenue and move on with newer products. Make a lot of senses huh ?

Wow is there even need to be that savage with your reply?

I've never said that the new products should not offer new features, as it's not even my point here. What I grieved about having not too long ago having to cashed my hard earned Money for AMP2, with a mind, that AMP5 would be better suited for headphones, so I would not feel too much guilt for getting the two rather than the 5. Mind you; not everybody has the cash to keep purchasing every single modules issued by iBasso or any other audio producer for that matter.

Every iteration of the module is the same price; logically one should not be an upgrade to the other. Coloration, different signature, name it, it doesn't matter as its just a different product to cater different costumer.

Don't mistake me; I'm grateful to iBasso for producing a unit that has a high performance to value ratio. Even their after sale service is commendable, as they fixed my broken unit real fast. Then again, for not hearing a possibility that AMP5 would be an upgrade to the 2, for someone that has a limited budget for buying audio stuff, it's quite a shock.

I'm talking for the standpoint of someone with a limited budget, hence, in any case, it'd be understandable that not everyone, if any, would understand.

Dec 1, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #10,283 of 22,021
I don’t read AMP5 as an upgrade to AMP2, but more as a more powerful single ended option compared to amp1 (minus of course all the differences in tuning)
AMP2 is still the most musical and organic of the bunch which makes it very precious, and I use it extensively :)

Dec 1, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #10,284 of 22,021
I don’t read AMP5 as an upgrade to AMP2, but more as a more powerful single ended option compared to amp1 (minus of course all the differences in tuning)
AMP2 is still the most musical and organic of the bunch which makes it very precious, and I use it extensively :)

Yes, this is precisely the response that I'm waiting for.

My initial statement is not meant that it is a fact, but something of a possibility. And I'm really grateful for having feedback from a user like you

Dec 1, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #10,285 of 22,021
It would be interesting to have a comparison between Amp2 and Amp5 as from what I read the sound signatures are similar (but the Amp5 is more powerful and battery lasts more). what are the differences in sound using them with efficient IEMs?:)

Yes, this is precisely the response that I'm waiting for.

My initial statement is not meant that it is a fact, but something of a possibility. And I'm really grateful for having feedback from a user like you

Dec 1, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #10,286 of 22,021
It would be interesting to have a comparison between Amp2 and Amp5 as from what I read the sound signatures are similar (but the Amp5 is more powerful and battery lasts more). what are the differences in sound using them with efficient IEMs?:)

Yes please! @twister6

A more direct comparison would be much appreciated. My take on it was that it still has the same warmer tonality of AMP2, but AMP5 improves on it. Thinking of ordering AMP5 now...

AMP4 having an even wider soundstage and blacker background sounds interesting. Not sure about the more revealing upper mids and lower treble. I wish there was an L-shaped adapter though, so I won't have so much sticking out. I feel like I would break the amp if I pushed it sideways on accident.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #10,287 of 22,021
Yes please! @twister6

A more direct comparison would be much appreciated. My take on it was that it still has the same warmer tonality of AMP2, but AMP5 improves on it. Thinking of ordering AMP5 now...

AMP4 having an even wider soundstage and blacker background sounds interesting. Not sure about the more revealing upper mids and lower treble. I wish there was an L-shaped adapter though, so I won't have so much sticking out. I feel like I would brake the amp if I pushed it sideways on accident.

I will try to get to it over the weekend. The intent of the review was to talk about amp 3/4/5 since I already reviewed 2.

Dec 1, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #10,288 of 22,021
The choices between Amp1, amp 3 and amp 4 is easy if you look at it this way.

Amp1: pros: snappy, tight bass, good details good treble. Cons: narrower soundstage, lacking sub-bass and musicality. Conclusion of a References sound signature but with narrower soundstage and lack of sub bass. Recommended for lush and warmer gears

Amp3: pros: awesome subbass and extensions, slightly slower mid bass, has more warmth and musicality, good details and treble, wider soundstage. Cons: slower bass, and warmer. Conclusion of a musical sound signature with awesome soundstage. Recommended for brighter and faster gears

Amp4: pros: Pro: snappy tight bass similar to Amp1 but with more sub bass , great details and treble just like Amp1, is musical and wider soundstage just like amp 3. Cons: Sub bass is not as satisfying if compared to Amp3, no Line-Out. Conclusion: the signature of both Amp1 and Amp3 together while compromises are presented such as less sub bass and no line out. Recommended for References gears with strong sub bass presents.

That is how I observed and perceived the sound signatures. I would put Amp3 and Amp4 on the same scale, only slightly differences and this should be taken into account of the synergies of what gears you are using together with personal preferences . Amp4 is not an upgrade to Amp3 in my opinion

Dec 1, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #10,289 of 22,021
Thanks for the comparo

I don’t see the amp system as upgrade anyway but sidegrade and heaven for finding best synergy with different IEM and headphones :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back