DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Jan 24, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #20,491 of 22,021
guys,
MLCC is the only one I did not bought 'cause wat not available in Mouser and because seemed, from the guide, quite an "optional"...
But from your messages I'm understanding it's better to replace it..

In my opinions and experiences, it is optional. It rely a lot on the gears you hook the Amp8 to. I use Hd800S, so I needed that, and from other people using different gears they did not like it much
Please tell me.
What is EX modifications like to replace chip capacitors with laminated metallized PPS film capacitors?

Incoming Pm

Jan 24, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #20,493 of 22,021
There is no part that can be explained with images.
However, SS-47 is not a reflow solder.

Do not think deeply, just exchange 100uF.
(chip Tantalum is not removed. Removing it will be a difficult task like your question)

Oyaide is introducing SS-47 as "It's easy to get on with solder and because its melting point is not high, it will be easy to flush and will melt normally even at the same temperature as that containing lead."
Because the spacing between the parts is narrow, we used a thin 20W soldering iron at the tip.

I think that simple is good.

For those who are considering modding, i just wanted to add a note of clarification. The standard Whitigir mod is not that hard and switching out the orange Siemens cap for the grey Nichicon is pretty straightforward. Personally, I think an iron works just fine for that, and using Oyaide SS47 is no problem. It’s lead free, but not that hard to work with, at all. It’s not Mundorf Supreme.

The cautions really come with the EX-mod where you are removing the tantalum caps, and you do have to “think deeply” about that. If you really know what you’re doing with an iron it’s obviously doable, but there might be greater possibility of damage if you don’t. Kemet outlines this in their datasheet for their capacitors and recommends hot air. The 100uF caps don’t seem that bad to me for an iron, but some of the 22uF would really require some fine motor skills. Again, obviously doable, because Jamoto did it, but you, or your tech, has to have Jamoto level skills. Even with all the right gear, not everyone can solder stuff the size of dust. (Grin).

Jan 24, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #20,494 of 22,021
For those who are considering modding, i just wanted to add a note of clarification. The standard Whitigir mod is not that hard and switching out the orange Siemens cap for the grey Nichicon is pretty straightforward. Personally, I think an iron works just fine for that, and using Oyaide SS47 is no problem. It’s lead free, but not that hard to work with, at all. It’s not Mundorf Supreme.

The cautions really come with the EX-mod where you are removing the tantalum caps, and you do have to “think deeply” about that. If you really know what you’re doing with an iron it’s obviously doable, but there might be greater possibility of damage if you don’t. Kemet outlines this in their datasheet for their capacitors and recommends hot air. The 100uF caps don’t seem that bad to me for an iron, but some of the 22uF would really require some fine motor skills. Again, obviously doable, because Jamoto did it, but you, or your tech, has to have Jamoto level skills. Even with all the right gear, not everyone can solder stuff the size of dust. (Grin).

As someone who's been following this with some intrigue (big into DIY - Grado builts, TH900 mods, etc), I'd be very curious to see some picture of the process. If you were to start a thread as a guide I think the community would appreciate something like that :angel:

Jan 24, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #20,495 of 22,021
As someone who's been following this with some intrigue (big into DIY - Grado builts, TH900 mods, etc), I'd be very curious to see some picture of the process. If you were to start a thread as a guide I think the community would appreciate something like that :angel:

Hey Cathee, great avatar! lol

Are you going to this years NYC CanJam

Jan 24, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #20,496 of 22,021

I would start a guide for DIY on Dx208EX. However, due to the complications of the EX modifications (EX-treme modifications), and a few failures had been made. I am reluctant in posting a DIY guide.

Jan 24, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #20,498 of 22,021
I would spew coffee out of my nose if Dx220 support Native DSD1024....the ES9028Pro is fully capable of that, and so is the top of the line oscilliators being used inside the regular Dx200. XU-216 for DSP chip and or ES8620 ? Idk...dreaming....LoL

Jan 24, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #20,499 of 22,021
Thanks Lurker0, I'll try tonight. Hope it solves it!!
Unfortunately it hasn’t worked. I managed to install, but was unable to then install over Oreo FW. It showed issues mounting the SD card and then never ended the upgrade. Then I took out the SD card and started playing with the DX200 (updating apps,etc) but still switches itself off after several minutes while trying to update the apps. I have to long press to start the DX200 again. Is there anything more radical to try in order to clean up completely the DAP?

Jan 24, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #20,500 of 22,021
I've posted a classified for my DX200Ti in the for sale forum. If you are interested feel free to PM me.
I've pulled my classified. Thanks much to @KEV G for reminding me of how good the DX200Ti is. I've had a long listening session with the DX200Ti today and why the h*** would I sell this beauty? I'm just going to have to listen more at work.....

Jan 24, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #20,501 of 22,021
I've pulled my classified. Thanks much to @KEV G for reminding me of how good the DX200Ti is. I've had a long listening session with the DX200Ti today and why the h*** would I sell this beauty? I'm just going to have to listen more at work.....
You know it makes sense lol
Glad to help, anytime you get the urge to sell, let me know and I’ll be glad to help dissuade you. :smile_phones:
It really is a stellar dap and a piece of audio history :L3000:

Jan 24, 2019 at 9:07 PM Post #20,505 of 22,021
My take on the AMP8. Enjoy! :)

photo_2019-01-24_00-01-04.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back