DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Dec 20, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #19,621 of 22,021
@Whitigir also, I have to thank you once again for the way you kept banging the drum about DSD512. So many times I convinced myself the differences were too subtle to be worth all the effort. Even now I’m still floored by the sheer compute resources it uses up. It takes forever to convert and my laptop is useless for anything else as it devotes everything to all the math. Then it produces these mammoth files which take forever to write to a Micro SD card. But, then...

The sound is sublime. It’s useless to talk about how it’s better in terms of soundstage, tonality, etc. It’s superlative in every way.

The combination of DSD512 and Fidelizer’s Advanced ROM makes the DX200 a portable in form factor only. I’d take this over a Chord Hugo2 any day and I’m thinking of patching this into my Moon 430HA, something I never thought I’d do with a DAP.

Hats off to you.

Yeah, I also do love DSD512 on Advanced ROM. But for anyone who doesn’t like to spend more money, they can just stick with MangoOS + DSD512 and hear things that other DAP can not do...maybe Lotoo Paw Gold Touch ? Mind you, not even DMP-Z1 a $8k device from Sony ...still can not do lol

Dec 20, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #19,622 of 22,021
Yeah, I also do love DSD512 on Advanced ROM. But for anyone who doesn’t like to spend more money, they can just stick with MangoOS + DSD512 and hear things that other DAP can not do...maybe Lotoo Paw Gold Touch ? Mind you, not even DMP-Z1 a $8k device from Sony ...still can not do lol
where do you buy dsd albums from?

Dec 20, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #19,623 of 22,021
where do you buy dsd albums from?

If you do a search on this thread you can catch up pretty quick. There is also a separate thread that Whitigir started devoted to DSD512:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dx200-and-dsd512-how-why.888682/

Basically, what is being discussed is up converting wav files to DSD512 by different means. The method of choice that Whitigir championed especially was offline conversion, which has the added benefit of the ultimate “galvanic isolation” (i.e., no noisy USB interface).

Dec 20, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #19,624 of 22,021
Also , I would like to share some more findings regarding Fidelizer ROM, and it is from @twister6 that installing @Lurker0 would further improve the width for soundstage.

So I went ahead and tried this, but I flashed @Lurker0 after Fidelizer, and the sound decreased in performances somewhat.

Then I tried what Fidelizer said, to flash Stock, and then @Lurker0 + set up your google store, and then enable usb debugging, disable verity, flash Fidelizer. Now it is what @twister6 mentioned, everything good from Fidelizer and further width has improved ! So, if you have Fidelizer, make sure you follow step by step, otherwise it would not be effective

On top of that, while I had @Lurker0 , I used google store and downloaded my Neutron again. I remember that I was asking for some playback app for PCM that allowed to customize the Latency of the DAP. So, I took my experiences from my PC and here is my set up for PCM in Neutron. I just want to share it here, so if anyone is enjoying Neutron, you may try it out. These are most important one

DSP effects off
64 bit processing off
Resampling Audiophile
Automatic gain protection off
Audio hardware
Hardware latency 26
Software latency 2
Dithering off
Sub sonic filter off
Ultrasonic Filter off
DSD over PCM on
Follow Source Frequency on
Frequency 768

*Neutron*
with this setting have both excellent sound performances and interfaces, if you are already used to it. In comparison to other apps that you have on the Dx200 in Oreo.

If you need to change your Digital Filter or gain, you can go into Android setting and Audio.

For anyone who doesn’t like tinkering around. You can still just enjoy Dx200 in Pure Mango mode, and that what I used to do. Until I discovered Fidelizer ROM.
Thanks for your settings, I also found Neutron extremely versatile and excelling in sound Mango Android App.
BTW, I am just curious, why you disable the 64 bit processing?

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #19,627 of 22,021
I finally tried out purist rom. To me it seems to tame the highs. Highs are smoother and more enjoyable. All the info is there but better. The mids seem to have a touch more warmth than before. Lows seem the same to me. I am not sure if depth is a tad deeper, to me it seems that way. I love it! I am listening to my 200Ti, amp8, and HD800S’. Amazing sound. Thanks @WindowsX.

Dec 20, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #19,628 of 22,021
I finally tried out purist rom. To me it seems to tame the highs. Highs are smoother and more enjoyable. All the info is there but better. The mids seem to have a touch more warmth than before. Lows seem the same to me. I am not sure if depth is a tad deeper, to me it seems that way. I love it! I am listening to my 200Ti, amp8, and HD800S’. Amazing sound. Thanks @WindowsX.

ive been using the free version of the purist rom for a few weeks now and have to say its pretty darn good

Dec 20, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #19,630 of 22,021
That's weird why would it make a difference in sound if your media player accesses data in 32 or 64 bit chunks?

I mean sure a bad implementation can affect anything but it seems weird to me.

I am not sure why, but there is something bothering, and I am not an expert in coding or programming of the algorithm.....just listen with my ears :)

@Whitigir - you have used this 1uF MLCC capacitor in your Amp8 mod. I ordered it but its current estimated delivery date @Mouser is March 11th.
Is there an equivalent (or better) capacitor I could use instead of waiting till March?
You can try this one . I heard @singleended5863 like it a lot

Dec 20, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #19,631 of 22,021
The thing about caps is they can sound good or bad and burn in great or sound good and burn in lousy and not sound good. I like Black Gates. They take a long time to burn in but IMO, one of the very best. For current production there are some small caps that burn in good. Some like silver mica.

Dec 20, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #19,632 of 22,021
I hope people still remember, or know about the Sony MicroSD. It is still on sale nowadays.

But do you remember my Absorber TDK SheetS from Amp8 modifications ?

This is basically Sony admitting that MicroSD, just like any IC...it generate noises. So in order to make it better, they selected materials to tame down the noises. Now, not only Sony, but Samsung also had another paper to disclose about this cell noises too!

Anyways, what to do if you have just any other MicroSD ? Well, you use the TDK Sheets, so it absorb, and convert these electrical noises into “heat”. Ofcourse, this dissipated heat will not kill your SD card :wink:. Real science into modifications. Don’t ask me if it improve sound, how or where. I like it, and I will let you judge it.

The Negatives is that...you won’t be able to see your card marking anymore. You may need a way to organize them :D.

*remember* leave out the spaces for the side hook and don’t tape over the copper pins

BE60969A-272C-4B97-A3C2-245AB9608A79.jpeg
FD98DBEB-8935-4A36-B00B-9FA3EA064293.jpeg 4F2BE486-3B7B-4F2B-B107-F9C22FCA07C6.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #19,633 of 22,021
The thing about caps is they can sound good or bad and burn in great or sound good and burn in lousy and not sound good. I like Black Gates. They take a long time to burn in but IMO, one of the very best. For current production there are some small caps that burn in good. Some like silver mica.
Did you mod the Amp8 with Black Gates? Which Black Gate do you recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back