DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Sep 14, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #8,552 of 22,021
According to Presonus that's not the case. This is what they say....

"Connecting a balanced output to an unbalanced input is a little trickier. You need to know something about the circuit that feeds the balanced output in order to do it properly."

So it can be done.....

As I said, it can be done, but you will need to know a little more into electrical, cuircuitry and so on before you can pull this feast. Didn't I mention that you needed a special circuitry ? Because with this circuitry, it can actively convert your balanced signal into Unbalanced regardless of the Native being of your output. Otherwise you need to know more. The details are provided in that link you mentioned.

If you know a lot about electrical engineering, nothing regarding electrical design and components are impossible....unless time travel. If you do not know, follow my rule of thumb

You are keeping on showing me what I "already known"

You can use Single Ended out into Balanced in

Though you can not use Balanced out to connect into Single Ended in.

Your Dx200 Balanced out can not be used to connect to Single Ended in amplifier. However, you can use your DX200 Single Ended out 3.5mm Amp1 into Balanced in Amplifier. That would be the only exception

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #8,554 of 22,021
I already have ALO 3.5 mm mimi and tested DX200 amp1 and amp2 with CDM. Sounds pretty good.
Just want to hear a little different or improvement with balanced setup with amp3?

I used the 3.5mm SE on the CDM for a while with the AMP1 and then upgraded to the AMP3. The 2.5mm fully balanced from DX200 to CDM is even better sounding. You are in for a treat.

Sep 14, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #8,555 of 22,021
You are keeping on showing me what I "already known"

You can use Single Ended out into Balanced in

Though you can not use Balanced out to connect into Single Ended in.

Your Dx200 Balanced out can not be used to connect to Single Ended in amplifier. However, you can use your DX200 Single Ended out 3.5mm Amp1 into Balanced in Amplifier. That would be the only exception

I have a question about balanced out.

As we know DX200 balanced out is far more powerful than SE. I want to use my HD650s without an amp so, DX200 balanced out gives enough power (Vrms) for that. My query is..I don't have balanced cable yet but I have 2.5 mm to 3.5 mm adapter. If I plus my HD650s (using the adapter) into balanced out, will I get the same power (6Vrms)?
Please excuse me if I sounded foolish but I always wanted to know.

Sep 14, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #8,556 of 22,021
I used this 2.5mm TRRS female to 3.5 mm TRS male adapter(see link below) with my DX200 w/ amp3 line out to my iFi iDSD BL line in with no issues at all. I use a 2.5mm trrs aux cable between them. It is electrically feasible.

The diagram I put up is the pinout for a microphone adaption to 3.5mm trs but is the same concept as the 2.5mm trrs balanced to 3.5mm trs single ended connection.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/528113...25mm-trrs-to-35mm-trs?ref=shop_home_active_21

Heh, I just bought that. Small world. No idea how good it is, but it certainly looked nice and I'm hoping I've chosen well :)

Sep 14, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #8,557 of 22,021
I have a question about balanced out.

As we know DX200 balanced out is far more powerful than SE. I want to use my HD650s without an amp so, DX200 balanced out gives enough power (Vrms) for that. My query is..I don't have balanced cable yet but I have 2.5 mm to 3.5 mm adapter. If I plus my HD650s (using the adapter) into balanced out, will I get the same power (6Vrms)?
Please excuse me if I sounded foolish but I always wanted to know.

You meant your 3.5mm is a TRRS Sony style with 4 poles ? Or it is a normal 3.5mm with 3 poles ? If it is normal 3.5mm then no, if it is Sony style of 4 poles then you are ok

Sep 14, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #8,558 of 22,021
You meant your 3.5mm is a TRRS Sony style with 4 poles ? Or it is a normal 3.5mm with 3 poles ? If it is normal 3.5mm then no, if it is Sony style of 4 poles then you are ok
It is 3.5 mm female to 2.5 mm male (4 pole) adapter. I want to plug my HD650s (3.5 mm 3 poles) into balanced out of DX200 using that adapter.

7364203.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #8,561 of 22,021
don't fry your nice headphones! when you have headphones with a balanced cable, you can use a balanced to single-ended adapter to plug them into a regular (single ended) 3.5 mm Jack. just use the regular headphone out on the Ibasso.

Sep 14, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #8,562 of 22,021
It is 3.5 mm female to 2.5 mm male (4 pole) adapter. I want to plug my HD650s (3.5 mm 3 poles) into balanced out of DX200 using that adapter.

7364203.jpg

If you asked me, my answer is "no"

You are shorting the 2 (L- and R-) together
, and that is the same as if you were to connect 2.5mm Balanced out into your Single-Ended in, which @Paul - iBasso already stated that could damage your Amp3 buffers, and you are going to pay for that

Sep 14, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #8,563 of 22,021
don't fry your nice headphones! when you have headphones with a balanced cable, you can use a balanced to single-ended adapter to plug them into a regular (single ended) 3.5 mm Jack. just use the regular headphone out on the Ibasso.
The problem is that I don't have balanced cable and I can't find one in my area. All I have is HD650s with its standard cable and I always have to use an AMP to power them. DX200 balanced out has enough power and saves me from using an AMP.

Sep 14, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #8,564 of 22,021
If you asked me, my answer is "no"

You are shorting the 2 (L- and R-) together
, and that is the same as if you were to connect 2.5mm Balanced out into your Single-Ended in, which @Paul - iBasso already stated that could damage your Amp3 buffers, and you are going to pay for that
Thanks, that's all I want to know. I don't want to damage either my headphones or my DAP.

Sep 14, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #8,565 of 22,021
I think some basic agreement on terminology will be helpful here. To that end . . .

Line out (LO) is an analog audio signal typically used to feed into an analog amplifier.

SPDIF and the 3.5mm to RCA cord supplied by iBasso are digital out and must be fed into a digital input device. Using this output avoids the D/A converter in the dx200 and depends of the receiving device to perform D/A conversion and analog amplification.

Balanced and unbalanced (single ended) refer strictly to analog outputs and inputs. Unbalanced means that there are 3 wires for the signal path. They are right power, left power, and common ground. Balanced means there are 4 wires for the signal path. They are right power, right ground, left power, left ground. The advantage of balanced is that there are 2 completely separate signal paths that helps to eliminate inter-channel interference. iBasso has said that we should not use the balanced output to drive single ended headphones or amplifiers as this involves shorting right and left ground which apparently causes problems for the output buffers in the balanced circuitry of Amp1 and Amp3. Also, shorting right and left ground eliminates the benefits of balanced, so there is no good reason to do this.

Cheers all

So there's no way of connecting dx200 to hugo2 to get pre-amplification (e.g. AMP3), and no way of connecting dx200 to hugo2 to use ESS DAC prior to using sending signal to hugo2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back