DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Sep 14, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #8,537 of 22,021
Sep 14, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #8,538 of 22,021
IMG_1892.JPG

Ok...there are a lot of messed up info here that can blow my mind.....but hey, never connect Balanced out to Unbalanced in, period. I am not going to open that can of worm regarding differential and feedback circuitry.....then again...that is Unbalanced Out into Balanced in....You never connect Balanced out into Unbalanced in, if you don't get this.....I refuse to keep on this explanation

I always stated out this rule of thumb

Balanced to Balanced only, and Single Ended to Single Ended only.

The only time for exception is when you have a Balanced in and want to plug it into a Single Ended out. Fe, any Balanced headphones into a Single Ended DAP, Amps.....or Single-Ended player into a Balanced in amplifier. It is ok to split the signals up, but it is not ok to joined them up, period.

And the next, Coax/SPDIF is digital ***, and Amp1 has not that slot. Dx200 has Coax/Spdif, but it is atop the player

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #8,539 of 22,021
I think some basic agreement on terminology will be helpful here. To that end . . .

Line out (LO) is an analog audio signal typically used to feed into an analog amplifier.

SPDIF and the 3.5mm to RCA cord supplied by iBasso are digital out and must be fed into a digital input device. Using this output avoids the D/A converter in the dx200 and depends of the receiving device to perform D/A conversion and analog amplification.

Balanced and unbalanced (single ended) refer strictly to analog outputs and inputs. Unbalanced means that there are 3 wires for the signal path. They are right power, left power, and common ground. Balanced means there are 4 wires for the signal path. They are right power, right ground, left power, left ground. The advantage of balanced is that there are 2 completely separate signal paths that helps to eliminate inter-channel interference. iBasso has said that we should not use the balanced output to drive single ended headphones or amplifiers as this involves shorting right and left ground which apparently causes problems for the output buffers in the balanced circuitry of Amp1 and Amp3. Also, shorting right and left ground eliminates the benefits of balanced, so there is no good reason to do this.

Cheers all

Sep 14, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #8,540 of 22,021
hey dx200 owners. couldn't find info on the amp modules' soundstage. does amp2 or amp3 increase soundstage depth? Thinking of maaaayybe getting this for my laylas but shallow soundstage is worrying...

Sep 14, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #8,543 of 22,021
Hugo2 digitally connect to DX200 is recommended only Via SPDIF/COAX on top of the player using the provided cables inside the box ? Probably not, hugo2 coax in is also 3.5mm isn't it ? You will need 3.5mm coax to 3.5mm coax for IC then.

IMG_1888.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1889.JPG
    IMG_1889.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #8,544 of 22,021
Amp3 has better depth and width vs amp1 (Balanced 2.5mm out)

Nice to hear... Does this take the combo to WMZ1 and AK380 with amp levels? Or are there still layering issues present...

Sep 14, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #8,547 of 22,021
@irablumberg That you for the explanation. :smile_phones: adapting Balanced to unbalanced is not optimal but it is feasible.

Ok...there are a lot of messed up info here that can blow my mind.....but hey, never connect Balanced out to Unbalanced in, period. I am not going to open that can of worm regarding differential and feedback circuitry.....then again...that is Unbalanced Out into Balanced in....You never connect Balanced out into Unbalanced in, if you don't get this.....I refuse to keep on this explanation

And the next, Coax/SPDIF is digital ***, and Amp1 has not that slot. Dx200 has Coax/Spdif, but it is atop the player

You don't need to explain anything to me. I understand quite well. Like I said this is used in pro audio sometimes. Adapting balanced to unbalanced or vice versa is not optimal but sometimes is needed. I'll post another link to a pro audio company that again shows you how to adapt these two typologies together. If this was taboo or a no no would a pro audio firm post this?

https://www.presonus.com/learn/technical-articles/balanced-unbalanced

Sep 14, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #8,548 of 22,021
@irablumberg That you for the explanation. :smile_phones: adapting Balanced to unbalanced is not optimal but it is feasible.

You don't need to explain anything to me. I understand quite well. Like I said this is used in pro audio sometimes. Adapting balanced to unbalanced or vice versa is not optimal but sometimes is needed. I'll post another link to a pro audio company that again shows you how to adapt these two typologies together. If this was taboo or a no no would a pro audio firm post this?

https://www.presonus.com/learn/technical-articles/balanced-unbalanced

You are keeping on showing me what I "already known"

You can use Single Ended out into Balanced in

Though you can not use Balanced out to connect into Single Ended in.

Your Dx200 Balanced out can not be used to connect to Single Ended in amplifier. However, you can use your DX200 Single Ended out 3.5mm Amp1 into Balanced in Amplifier. That would be the only exception

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #8,550 of 22,021
You are keeping on showing me what I "already known"

You can use Single Ended out into Balanced in

Though you can not use Balanced out to connect into Single Ended in.

According to Presonus that's not the case. This is what they say....

"Connecting a balanced output to an unbalanced input is a little trickier. You need to know something about the circuit that feeds the balanced output in order to do it properly."

So it can be done.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back