DX200/220 Amp8, MAX and other EX modifications
May 20, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #136 of 473
Hello.
I may not access this thread anymore, so I would like to briefly describe the process and opinion about DX28EX.

The sound quality of the DX200 lined high in Japan where I live.
On the other hand, I did not expect much about DAP.

The first DAP I used is the Pioneer XDP-30R.
The initial evaluation was the worst, and the reviews at that time were filled with bad reviews.
However, I continued to use it for a year, believing the specifications published by Pioneer.

Many people may laugh at me, but I like to make DACs and AMPs, and I'm one of my hobbies, I'm convinced that all the parts perform their performance, DAC, OPAMP, There is an order of the register, CAP, etc., but at least half a year to 1 year is required.

Although this is difficult to evaluate with auditory sound quality, it has been verified with visual equipment that can be recognized visually and precision measuring instruments.
(Discussion is beyond my category, so please refer to expert literature and verification papers)

I valued the XDP-30R from the easy price with satisfaction.
Then I asked for a sound quality of XDP-30R or higher at a place where I could audition in Japan.
And I learned about the possibilities of DX200 in June 2018.

However, since DX200 AMP1 was not my sound, I tried to replace the smoothing capacitor of the power supply.
So I learned about Amp8 / W remodeling by Whitigir.
The Cap selected by Whitigir is KZH, Toshin, and Organic Polymaer are parts common to my DIY, and I think that there is no big difference in the tendency of the sound quality I like.
And it came to DX208EX.

The results are very satisfying and thankful to him and I am looking for further improvements in sound quality.
As I am not good at speaking about sound quality because English is inconvenient, I have only posted the methods and tips I have implemented so far.
KSE1500 that I use as a main is SE, so I am searching for improvement of AMP7, AMP1 and sound quality.
It is the hint that DX208EX presented by Whitigir is the beginning.

There is Sohin SE and Panasonic PPS as the superlative sound quality that everyone in high-end audios admits.
Whilst Tantalum Cap was considered to be a compromise between capacity and price, Whitigir filled the gap between small and large volumes with KO-CAP.
It matches very well with the iBasso design (module amp).
I think that i love iBasso and EX and seek further improvement of the real sound unless it changes.

I'm sorry if I get confused by ugly English.
I tried to express my mind for the first time. Goodbye to one end.

May 22, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #139 of 473
Thank you to @bden59 for helping me to enable the EX modifications for DX220. The goal is to preserve bass slam, timbres density, further enhance them in controls, dynamic and punches, improving clarity, details, trebles extensions.

There will be 2 parts of the EX just like Dx200.

Disclaimer: by modifying your unit, you risk permanently damaging your dedicated player, and you are sure to void the warranty. Only proceed when you are ready to lose your player and take all the risk as a man wearing his pants **. To anyone who can and will perform these modifications, please keep in mind that it was developed for enthusiasts and by enthusiasts, so please keep the labor reasonable.

1/ part 1: Hardware Modifications

You will need
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/80-T543B107K010TE150
3x of those
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/80-T543B227K6AHW35
2X of those
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/80-T520A226M10ANE080
2X of those
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/80-T520A107M006AT
4x of those
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/80-T527I476M06ATE200
4x of those

You will replace a total 15 capacitors and 5 different values

Layout is as in the pictures. Ask if any questions

Tips: in order to open up Dx220, you need to take out the Amp module. There will be 2 screws with 1 under the warranty label. Unscrew then, then use a sucker to split up the back from the side of the 2 screws. It will be a bit tough to get it in and out.

*tape the side buttons up* or else they will come loose and give you some funky business. Remember to take out the MicroSD

After unscrewing 4 screws, and remove ribbon cables (only 2) .... Lift the PCB from the bottom from side to side with a tweezer, be patient as there are cooling thermal plaster which keep it attached to the back chassis. Then push in the SPDIF uptop and take out.

2677A617-9CC2-4B2D-9A87-2D8088173F8D.jpeg
D2D86AA1-1C2E-40A9-A75B-1DF7988765CC.jpeg
72839AEF-A398-464E-974E-6E9AD2A98509.jpeg
277CA3FC-BCA1-4EDD-8DA5-BDC5A8887F50.jpeg

2/ Part 2 is TDK noise absorbing sheets. You will apply it upon IC chips similar to DX200EX
8576F07E-445D-44FA-B0C2-B685E361FE25.jpeg

Last edited:
May 22, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #140 of 473
May 22, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #141 of 473
That's funny. :D Unless you have a lot of background knowledge you can't replicate it, and paying a technician to do it is the same thing. Whitigir, as well any of the only three people who have done it, generally rejects requests to be paid to do it. So who are you kidding? WindowsX at least doesn't tease and acts like a professional. Talk to him sometime. Edwardsean recommended him to me and claimed he's a professional. Whitigir is free to give people better options, but this is just a little pet project for him. He can't even be bothered to detail the steps he takes.

Last edited:
May 22, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #142 of 473
Just teasing with him. We know each other in real life and he knows my personality.

May 22, 2019 at 7:41 PM Post #143 of 473
I'm fully supportive for people sharing ideas but my position is beyond the point I can share modding recipe like I used to when I was a university student.

Imagine someone took my recipe to mod and claim it sounds bad. That's not the same as he get the unit modded by me. And I'm not in position to risk my reputation on DIY recipe.

So when someone dedicate their time and effort to learn something and share with others, I always feel good to see this and I always make free solution for everyone whenever possible.

What Vince share will surely be very beneficial to DIY community and I encourage people who want to DIY to do it if they are capable to.

Regards,
Keetakawee

Last edited:
May 22, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #144 of 473
I'm fully supportive for people sharing ideas but my position is beyond the point I can share modding recipe like I used to when I was a university student.

Imagine someone took my recipe to mod and claim it sounds bad. That's not the same as he get the unit modded by me. And I'm not in position to risk my reputation on DIY recipe.

So when someone dedicate their time and effort to learn something and share with others, I always feel good to see this and I always make free solution for everyone whenever possible.

What Vince share will surely be very beneficial to DIY community and I encourage people who want to DIY to do it if they are capable to.

Regards,
Keetakawee

Yes, there are DIY modders and professionals. Some depend on it for their livelihood and others decidedly don’t do so. The community only benefits from having an array of options because the community also has a range of skill levels. As someone on the low low side of those skills I’m grateful to everyone who contributes to us.

May 23, 2019 at 11:04 PM Post #146 of 473
Having done the main body of Dx220 into EX I found that the Amp1 MkII even with the simple modifications of Amp1-i Mkii. That is to have an additional TK 330uf/16V to improve the bass and smoothness for the trebles. The trebles still isn’t vivid enough for the main Dx220-EX, and at places it would be grainy. Furthermore, the bass would be nicer to be even more controlled. So why don’t I just find a way to apply the EX on the Amp1 MkII ?

You will need

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/80-T543B107K010TE150
12x of these
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/80-T520A226M10ANE080
8x of these
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/United-Chemi-Con/APSF160ETD331MH08S?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsIwzbKW1rlgSWQN9RXKYWUcFOkF6uObJg=
1x of these if you can not find TK 330uf/16V. This one has pretty close signature

**disclaimer** you are doing it at your own risk. If messed up, you could trash your amp module with permanent damage

Tips*: pay attentions to the caps polarity! Be careful with robotic arms as parts are densely packed, one wrong move can knock parts out of it place and you will have a hell of a time

The goal of this is to get better details with more vivid trebles resolutions and smoothness. Once again, the EX modifications has turned the Amp1 MKII into something that has surpassed my expectations. It can drive HD800S pretty well, except my Aiva which need mini-Dynalo.

Ibasso and their amp designs are simply brilliant

0B620B29-E584-4286-8266-47ED9BE063BB.jpeg FB1E9658-C758-4F7B-B136-DA7B0A5ECABD.jpeg

Now, the dx220 with EX to it main body , has the capability to pump out bass/subbass/dynamic like a beast! And I meant it is quality everywhere ! So, if you have performed this EX Amp1 and not enough of those ? Only do this if you want more of those...*** , you can further improve it with 47uF/16V TK capacitors. If you do not have TK, once again, get your United Chemicon to the closest signature of TK, but Ofcourse you can go for your favorite Brands
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/United-Chemi-Con/ESMG160ELL470ME11D?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtZ1n0r9vR22VbXODVWNANWIhP4vJep068=
05A3B481-0B53-4D93-A1B0-3B28B3E30DB7.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back