Dunu TITAN Series (new for 2019: Titan 6) [Page 196]
Sep 19, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #2,971 of 3,012
What I should do is compare the Titan 6 to the SIMGOT EN700 PRO. Two Dynamics duking it out in the same price range. Well. The EN700 PRO is technically a micro driver IEM, but close enough.

I just got the Titan 6 as well, and Simgot previously sent me the EN700 PRO for review. It's quite a good product overall that does very little wrong (but doesn't stand out especially either). I haven't spent much time with the Titan 6 yet but it does strike me as being more textured in the bass than the Simgot.

Sep 19, 2019 at 10:38 PM Post #2,972 of 3,012
I just got the Titan 6 as well, and Simgot previously sent me the EN700 PRO for review. It's quite a good product overall that does very little wrong (but doesn't stand out especially either). I haven't spent much time with the Titan 6 yet but it does strike me as being more textured in the bass than the Simgot.

That's great. I look forward to more impressions from you soon.

Sep 21, 2019 at 4:59 AM Post #2,973 of 3,012
I've been following the Dunu T6 for a while, i really like the Titan 5, but i lost mine for a robery. I'm not sure if i must buy the T5 again, or the new T6, i think the signature of the T6 will be closer to the T5 than the T3, but i can't find any comparison on internet. So, anyone who has heard both can tell me about the differences between the T6 and the T5 in performance or signature? Thanks

That's great. I look forward to more impressions from you soon.

• After comparing the Titan 6 with the Titan 1, 3, and 5, it is definitely the most bass focused of the 4 models (5 if you count the low-end 1es). It also has fuller low mids and relatively tame upper mids. There is still a bit of a ~5 kHz resonance peak --- didn't do any sweeps, but just a guesstimate from listening to tracks --- but it does seem less troublesome than it was on the Titan 3/5. Overall, treble is tamer than before, but still has a little bit of upper end splash. Extension is there, just tamed. So overall, it is the warmest of the Titan series, but I guess because of the lower treble peak, sounds still come off clearly.
  • @gordoanorexico The T6 is most similar to the T5, but the T5 has more treble. Timbre is more realistic with the T6. Bass is better layered, but stronger on the T6.
  • The driver itself is impressive in performance. The bass is well-textured and nicely layered. I can imagine the waterfall plot looking pretty clean.
  • Ergonomically, it is far better than the older Titans. The triangular rear is easy to hold, and the smooth finish of the shells feel comfortable. The very lightweight Al-Mg shells impart very little weight on the conchae. Even though I kind of miss the substantial heft of the Titan 3/5, these should be the most comfortable of the bunch to wear for the long-term.
  • However, I can't help but feel a little disappointed with the sound balance of the Titan 6. The Titan 1 was a success because it was affordable and relatively neutral. The Titan 3 and 5 were sort of hotter, higher performance variants that leaned brighter and darker compared to the Titan 1. I was hoping the Titan 6 returned to the Titan 1, which has almost become a cult favorite, but it seems they opted to satisfy mainstream listeners, and to showcase the raw capabilities of the beryllium driver.
  • From a market standpoint it makes sense they did this. Dunu is doing quite well in China, such that they're becoming a minor household name even with relatively casual listeners. They need a marquee product that still panders to the mainstream crowd. They have the 3001 PRO (which is excellent) and the 4001, and more higher end models to come for us nitpickers.
  • @Niyologist against the EN700PRO, it's a difficult comparison, frankly. The sound balance is quite different. The Simgot is a very orthodox, quasi-Harman tuning, and has decent but not overly impressive timbre. It has average layering characteristics. Overall detail level is high. The Titan 6 has very good timbre unfortunately ruined by the lower treble peak, and great bass layering. It sounds more downsloping than balanced/neutral.
  • I'll keep listening to the Titan 6; but right now, I feel their higher end models are a far better value proposition. The sub-$150 category got way too crowded, and I feel this one might've been crowded out, despite the excellent raw characteristics of its driver. Maybe it'll warm on me eventually, but right now, it's not really my cup of tea.

Sep 21, 2019 at 5:37 AM Post #2,974 of 3,012
  • After comparing the Titan 6 with the Titan 1, 3, and 5, it is definitely the most bass focused of the 4 models (5 if you count the low-end 1es). It also has fuller low mids and relatively tame upper mids. There is still a bit of a ~5 kHz resonance peak --- didn't do any sweeps, but just a guesstimate from listening to tracks --- but it does seem less troublesome than it was on the Titan 3/5. Overall, treble is tamer than before, but still has a little bit of upper end splash. Extension is there, just tamed. So overall, it is the warmest of the Titan series, but I guess because of the lower treble peak, sounds still come off clearly.
  • @gordoanorexico The T6 is most similar to the T5, but the T5 has more treble. Timbre is more realistic with the T6. Bass is better layered, but stronger on the T6.
  • The driver itself is impressive in performance. The bass is well-textured and nicely layered. I can imagine the waterfall plot looking pretty clean.
  • Ergonomically, it is far better than the older Titans. The triangular rear is easy to hold, and the smooth finish of the shells feel comfortable. The very lightweight Al-Mg shells impart very little weight on the conchae. Even though I kind of miss the substantial heft of the Titan 3/5, these should be the most comfortable of the bunch to wear for the long-term.
  • However, I can't help but feel a little disappointed with the sound balance of the Titan 6. The Titan 1 was a success because it was affordable and relatively neutral. The Titan 3 and 5 were sort of hotter, higher performance variants that leaned brighter and darker compared to the Titan 1. I was hoping the Titan 6 returned to the Titan 1, which has almost become a cult favorite, but it seems they opted to satisfy mainstream listeners, and to showcase the raw capabilities of the beryllium driver.
  • From a market standpoint it makes sense they did this. Dunu is doing quite well in China, such that they're becoming a minor household name even with relatively casual listeners. They need a marquee product that still panders to the mainstream crowd. They have the 3001 PRO (which is excellent) and the 4001, and more higher end models to come for us nitpickers.
  • @Niyologist against the EN700PRO, it's a difficult comparison, frankly. The sound balance is quite different. The Simgot is a very orthodox, quasi-Harman tuning, and has decent but not overly impressive timbre. It has average layering characteristics. Overall detail level is high. The Titan 6 has very good timbre unfortunately ruined by the lower treble peak, and great bass layering. It sounds more downsloping than balanced/neutral.
  • I'll keep listening to the Titan 6; but right now, I feel their higher end models are a far better value proposition. The sub-$150 category got way too crowded, and I feel this one might've been crowded out, despite the excellent raw characteristics of its driver. Maybe it'll warm on me eventually, but right now, it's not really my cup of tea.

Thank you for input. I'm getting the Titan 6 by Monday. So I might even compare it to my other IEMs. Also, I'm a bit disappointed that it's not like the Titan 1. I loved that IEM quite a bit. It was blowing my mind a few years ago. The value was quite amazing.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2019 at 9:12 AM Post #2,975 of 3,012

Thank you so much for your comments, they give me a better perspective From the T6, I like warmer sound, so that is a good thing to me, one thing that worried me a little, is the bass, the T5 are a little bassy, but I got used to its sound, if you said the T6 are even more bass focused, I hope not so much or it will be too much. On the other side, if the bass is better layered, and the timbre is more realistic, I think I'll go finally for the T6 thanks to your input, it helped a lot

Sep 21, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #2,976 of 3,012
Spinfits don't work on the Titan 6 according to Dunu. I asked them already. Titan 6 has it's own tips
From Dunu:
Hello, We confirm your problem with factory staff, they said CP100, CP145, T500 are not fit for TITAN6.
The nozzles of TITAN6 is short, if you really want use Spinfit with T6, you can try CP360 . DUNU put some ear tips in the retail box.
Suggest you use TITAN6 original ear tips for TITAN6 .

Thank you for input. I'm getting the Titan 6 by Monday. So I might even compare it to my other IEMs. Also, I'm a bit disappointed that it's not like the Titan 1. I loved that IEM quite a bit. It was blowing my mind a few years ago. The value was quite amazing.

I've been playing around with tips, and I find that, just like the Titan 3 and 5, ideal tip selection is crucial with the Titan 6.

Dunu's stock tips: they're okay, but not my favorite for comfort. The "balanced" blue tips sound pretty even across the board. Comfort is average. The sport-oriented sharkfin tips work great (and feel snug/great). They take away a tiny little bit of detailing (probably "false detail") but make the sound a little smoother to my ears. They're also compatible with the Titan 3/5, with a similar effect. The 5k peak gets tamed a bit as it's easier to achieve a deeper fit, which really helps manage that second harmonic peak of the driver/housing interface. I really like this tip combination with the Titan 3, which has long been my favorite Titan, even over the Titan 1. The vocal tips, well, I don't like using them for vocals, LOL. I can hear what they do --- cut some of the upper midrange and make the lower mids easier to hear. But to me, they sound a little disjointed and I don't like their comfort.

So far I'm also liking the presentation of the Titan 6 with SpinFit CP100 tips (they fit fine with the Titan 6, don't know why they replied that the CP100 don't work), super rare acoustic red tips from now-defunct RedGiant, and Comply style foam tips. The wide flange SpinFit CP350 works as well, in addition to the AZLA SednaEarfit Light, but I don't really like the way the SpinFit CP360 sound (they also fit kind of funky). The SpinFit CP145 are a little too wide bore for the Titan 6, so they won't work.

I'll be comparing them to the Periodic Be, Flares Pro 2HD and/or IMR R1 Zenith for my review (which are all pure beryllium or Beryllium coated), but might be a little while to post as I have a few things in the queue first.

Lyra II wouldn't be a million miles away from the T6 from memory - the T6 has a little more substantial bass and is less shy in the treble, but shares a similarly warm and musical non-bright sort of tuning.

Comfortable to say as an the IEMs I'm thinking of comparing it to are a fair bit more expensive, it's definely a good IEM for its price bracket.

These comparisons would be helpful as I haven't heard a lot of the more bassy types of Beryllium driver earphones. I've heard the original Lyra, but it was eons ago, so I really don't remember it at all.

Thank you so much for your comments, they give me a better perspective From the T6, I like warmer sound, so that is a good thing to me, one thing that worried me a little, is the bass, the T5 are a little bassy, but I got used to its sound, if you said the T6 are even more bass focused, I hope not so much or it will be too much. On the other side, if the bass is better layered, and the timbre is more realistic, I think I'll go finally for the T6 thanks to your input, it helped a lot

You're welcome. I think it's possible you'll like them. They're not much bassier than the T5, but because it does well in time domain, you can hear more of the layers of bass in the music. Overall, I think the T6 is probably a good direct upgrade for fans of the T5 but not necessarily for people who liked the T1 and T3 (which is me --- I did not like the T5 at all; sounded to me like a bastardized version of the T3, sorry, I know there are a lot of people who think the opposite, that the T3 is a wimpy, bright version of the T5).

Anyhoo, I think there are a few suggestions I would make:
  • Get the fit as deep as possible --- it'll tame that lower treble peak (even though it's gentler than before)
  • The isolation feels naturally better than the T1/3/5, but it's still not a great isolator, so if you need isolation, use the sharkfin sport tips or go with foams
  • Use a smooth source if at all possible. Let the natural time domain resolution of the T6 do its thing, and you can still hear deeply into your music tracks.

Sep 21, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #2,977 of 3,012
@tomscy2000 - Do you have any insights regarding Titan 6 and Falcon C?

Sep 21, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #2,978 of 3,012
@tomscy2000 - Do you have any insights regarding Titan 6 and Falcon C?

Sorry I don't have the Falcon and the last time I heard it was ages ago. I remember it being on the cooler side but that's about it. I suspect most people will find the Titan 6 warmer and a little bassinet but I really can't make any further comparisons.

Sep 22, 2019 at 12:45 AM Post #2,979 of 3,012
Sorry I don't have the Falcon and the last time I heard it was ages ago. I remember it being on the cooler side but that's about it. I suspect most people will find the Titan 6 warmer and a little bassinet but I really can't make any further comparisons.

I remember the Falcon C being a bit bright and very agile. That's about it.

Sep 22, 2019 at 3:16 AM Post #2,980 of 3,012
I think I finally found a way for me to enjoy to the Titan 6.

With EPro horn shaped tips (long length, wide diameter with reverse taper at the end) and as deep a fit as possible, I get smoothed out resonance peaks, so the natural timbre of the beryllium driver is brought out, but I don't lose the bass texture like I do with Comply foams. Mids sound full and relatively even now.

While I think YMMV on tip selection, I definitely think people should wear the Titan 6 (and any of the Titan series) as deep as the form factor allows. The piercing low treble peak really gets tamed with insertion depth. I highly suggest people do things this way.

42521FAD-2816-452A-AE9E-2F4DE8A6EDB2.jpeg

EDIT: BTW, I found this uncompensated FR (looks IEC-60318-4 compliant, and done with a GRAS coupler) online...

26s80s672oo646nqo50r3sn426410rq0._enlargedjpg.jpg

Looks about right to me. Less bass than what I imagined (I thought there was +7.5-9 dB), but the rest is in keeping with what I imagined. For me, the tip selection I use definitely tames that 5k secondary peak a little bit, as well as the tertiary and quaternary peaks, helping me get used to the signature.

EDIT 2: Come to think of it, the T6 reminds me a little of the XBA-Z5 from years past; I didn't like the Z5 in a similar way to the T6, and the FR even looks pretty similar... It also looks like the XBA-A3, but I actually really enjoyed the XBA-A3...

t1Liym8l.jpg

More reference points:
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SonyXBAZ5.pdf
https://crinacle.com/graphs/sony-xba-z5/
https://crinacle.com/graphs/sony-xba-a3/

Attachments

• 0pp10o18r281474s845n045n55s858n5.jpg
    0pp10o18r281474s845n045n55s858n5.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 28, 2019 at 12:42 AM Post #2,981 of 3,012
I'm really enjoying the Titan 6 right now. After nearly 10 hours of burn-in, it's really starting to open up a bit. The bass response is simply the best I've heard from a single DD. I still need more time to evaluate the mid-range and treble.

Sep 28, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #2,982 of 3,012
I'm really enjoying the Titan 6 right now. After nearly 10 hours of burn-in, it's really starting to open up a bit. The bass response is simply the best I've heard from a single DD. I still need more time to evaluate the mid-range and treble.
I love the bass, too - it has a great punch to it. Very dynamic.

Sep 28, 2019 at 2:00 AM Post #2,983 of 3,012

Glad you're enjoying it. Maybe my standards are a bit too... stringent haha

Sep 28, 2019 at 2:33 AM Post #2,985 of 3,012
Glad you're enjoying it. Maybe my standards are a bit too... stringent haha

I don't have that many Single DD IEMs. The other two are around the same price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back