DUNU LUNA - Impressions and Discussion
Jan 27, 2020 at 4:13 AM Post #16 of 878
That’s really, really nice!

Only listened briefly for now but...Nice with both the 4001 and the Luna; though I’ve noticed the Luna is especially great with acoustic guitar in songs like that...

Slight echos as the chords/notes ring out from the strings, and wonderful details. Extremely coherent. (Edit - I should note I listened like one time but oh man I see what you mean about using that as a test..more listening needed... ; ) )

I’m going to be listening to the rest of that album later - thank you very much!

Sounds like one of its strengths is timbre.

Jan 27, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #18 of 878
Great review! You’re pushing me over the edge to get a pair. BTW - SMSL M500 is a really great measuring DAC.

Thank you!
The M500 really does measure well. It sounds nice - for the most part...though at times I’ve noticed inconsistencies, I think? It’s odd.. Still letting it burn in because why not, but I don’t know if it will be a keeper.

I don’t find it to be even close (from a DAC standpoint, anyways) or even in the same league as the now somewhat ‘old’ Maverick D2 with upgraded opamps (not the ones you get from Maverick wink wink). The M500 can play higher res files so to be fair, it ‘wins’ that front. But if the DAC implementation isn’t well done then...not much matters.

R-5542829-1396093268-1121.jpeg.jpg

Try track #8 of this one : "The Dragon"

For coherency and drive :blush:

I'm having a great time with Mr Wakenius and the 4001 EQed

I just listened to this on the 4001 now, and I think you’ve found a good track for displaying some of the examples of the nuances the Luna displays vs the 4001. I need to listen again on the Luna now...dammit!

small edit: ok yeah with that song (I’ll note that I’m not using EQ) the lightning fender dongle + 4001 — sounds a bit more...’harsh’ (and that’s subtle though). ; ). Less natural than the Luna. Less detail from the reverb on the strings ringing out, too, I think. (Though the 4001 has detail in other ways). Interesting. I need to test this on my home speakers - this might be one of my comparison albums now.
The 4001 is amazing regardless though - you can pry it from my cold dead hands with the Luna. : )

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #19 of 878
My 'abbreviated' impressions are below; note that I will post full/additional impressions in another few days once I get my N6ii back (my current source selection is limited to the SMSL M500 right now). I should note that I do not use EQ (unless otherwise stated below, so basically, never), and all files used are lossless rips (FLAC, etc.).

The other reason why this is taking me a bit longer to write up is simply because, well, I'm having a very hard time finding anything I don't like about the luna. And finally, because there's just so much to say about this IEM.

For those that haven't read it, my previous review on head-fi comparing the Dunu DK-4001 and the Dunu 17th anniversary IEMs can be found here. In the first paragraph of that review, I mentioned the following:

In a nutshell, I think the Luna is pretty much that very combination, but on a grander scale.

The Luna seems to handle pretty much any genre I've thrown at it with ease. Dynamics, soundstage, tuning are absolutely incredible.

I look forward to Jude/head-fi's test measurements of the Luna. My initial impression is that I suspect it would test pretty 'flat' from its reported range all the way down from 5Hz up to 40kHz. (Perhaps a slight dip in the upper mid? Maybe not.). I'm not a piece of test equipment (at least, not to my knowledge), so I'd like to see what comes out from the test results as another piece to the story. That being said, it's not as if this is an IEM that sounds 'flat,' in case that wasn't obvious.

I believe Dunu has stated that this IEM had a reference tuning (correct me if I am wrong). I'd agree with that statement, with the caveat that what you hear is anything but flat, per say. Just like listening to my pair of ADS L980s, which also were designed as a reference monitor (and at the time touted as 'the most accurate transducer possible'), both transducers are anything but 'flat' - but they do both seem to accurately play the music as it was recorded/mastered and intended.

Playing 'The Queen of all Everything' by Ott elicits deep bass with delightful high end notes that sparkle but do not offend. DSD tracks especially sound quite wonderful - and especially so with audiophile-type recordings featuring vocals. (I should note that in the past, I have had mixed feelings about MQA/DSD, etc., and honestly didn't really care much about such tracks, as long as they were lossless and well recorded/mastered, fine with me...until listening with the Luna. DSD tracks absolutely shine!).

In my view, the Luna essentially retains much of the details and bass articulation of the DK-4001, but with a wider soundstage, presented on a MUCH grander scale, and with a coherence unlike any other.

It's a bit like, say, the Dunu DK-4001 (re: details, bass articulation), the Dunu 17th anniversary edition (re: smooth, musical), and a magnetic planar IEM (re: beryllium driver speed!) all had a baby. A bit.

That’s a really, really, overly simplistic analogy, and there’s much more to this IEM than that, but that’s kind of the best way I can describe it right now.

This, combined with the coherence of the beryllium single driver makes the Luna FASCINATING to me - it continues to surprise me with the way music is presented.

Currently listening via: MacBook Pro -> Lossless Audio (Audirvana) -> USB Kimber Kable -> SMSL M500 (M500 is admittedly not the best source; simply using it because it's available in the absence of the N6ii):

Artist: Porcupine Tree
Album: Recordings
Song: Buying New Soul

In a few more days, I'll try to post a more detailed follow-up once the N6ii is back in my hands. I'll include sources used, test songs used, as well as fit, build quality, what eartips work best for me, etc.

I also hope to also complement it with a full follow-up comparison of these three Dunu models: the Luna, the DK-4001, and the 17th anniversary edition.

Thanks for reading - if you'd like to know anything else, or have any specific tracks you'd like me to test with the Luna, just let me know and I'm happy to do my best to oblige!

Edit #1: clarity and spelling!
Really glad you're liking the LUNA! :waxing_gibbous_moon:

The 'near final' prototype I heard really left a lot to be desired SQ-wise. :confounded:

But it looks like they worked out the kinks at the last minute. :sweat_smile:

I'm looking forward to hearing the production version soon. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #20 of 878
@starck86

Would you be kind enough to test drive a retuning of the 4001 I've been refining these last days ?

You have a PAW6000, correct ? If you're game, I'll send you a PM with the parametric values of a 6-point adjustment you can reproduce on the Lotoo.

Might be fun ^^

Jan 27, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #21 of 878

The 'near final' prototype I heard really left a lot to be desired SQ-wise. :confounded:

Ah - interesting - I’m curious - what didn’t you like about the prototype’s SQ?
Also what was the source used?

@starck86

Would you be kind enough to test drive a retuning of the 4001 I've been refining these last days ?

You have a PAW6000, correct ? If you're game, I'll send you a PM with the parametric values of a 6-point adjustment you can reproduce on the Lotoo.

Might be fun ^^

Ahhh you’re like 1 day too late. I was auditioning it and it was due back yesterday. I’d still really love to test out the 4001 EQ though - PM me.

Jan 27, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #22 of 878
Ah - interesting - I’m curious - what didn’t you like about the prototype’s SQ?
Also what was the source used?
I'll just leave it at that, but I also listened to the DK-4001, DK-3001 PRO and the 17th Anniversary during the same listening session and I prefered all three of them over the LUNA prototype.

Jan 27, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #23 of 878
I'll just leave it at that, but I also listened to the DK-4001, DK-3001 PRO and the 17th Anniversary during the same listening session and I prefered all three of them over the LUNA prototype.

Huh, interesting. To each their own as well, but it would be helpful to know the source used, as I bet that could change things.

@DUNU-Topsound - can you share if anything changed from the prototype mentioned and the release?

I do notice that the Luna doesn’t have the same ‘showroom’ type of initial impression effect that the 4001, etc. has with multiple drivers.

I actually was going to write that up in my next post but you beat me to it haha.

For me, the Luna is something you come to appreciate. It’s very musical and natural. Like I go back to my 4001’s and those are completely different - but I wouldn’t say better at all. Maybe not even worse - just very different. That’s why I was curious about source too. To each their own either way :beerchug:

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2020 at 5:42 AM Post #24 of 878

Once we get over the hump for the LUNA shortage and the factory delay induced by travel restrictions, we will be sending TSAV a special gift. Will let people know when it's available. :beerchug:

We were fortunate enough to talk to @XERO1 about his troubles with the prototype LUNA. It seemed to be a chance venting or vacuum/seal issue that did not seem to occur with the other users --- or at least, the other users didn't relate the same issues to us. It's likely the stars just didn't align for him --- pun intended!

Huh, interesting. To each their own as well, but it would be helpful to know the source used, as I bet that could change things.

@DUNU-Topsound - can you share if anything changed from the prototype mentioned and the release?

I do notice that the Luna doesn’t have the same ‘showroom’ type of initial impression effect that the 4001, etc. has with multiple drivers.

I actually was going to write that up in my next post but you beat me to it haha.

For me, the Luna is something you come to appreciate. It’s very musical and natural. Like I go back to my 4001’s and those are completely different - but I wouldn’t say better at all. Maybe not even worse - just very different. That’s why I was curious about source too. To each their own either way :beerchug:

The prototype had no mesh grille to protect the output (should have minimal to no effect on sound), and the laser engraving was not finalized. The overmold on the cable was clear rather than translucent grey.

DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com
Jan 29, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #25 of 878
To give my experience with fit and this IEM (especially if you want to try it at CanJam or the like)....this is what I’ve found useful while plugging the Luna into your earballs.

[Caveat being I usually have trouble getting a seal with most IEMs; this is why I also like Dunu as I can get a good seal with their stuff fairly easily.]

As for fit, I could see how some might have an issue at first with getting the Luna to seal vs. the DK series. (At least I did, but I have very large canals, I think. I always need to use comply L comfort tips.). I found a solution for myself below.

Since the Luna is a single driver, the first few days, I was trying to get it as far in my ear as possible. And I’m talking literally as far as I could. This may work for you, but for me it did not. However, I was able to figure out a solution (that doesn’t involve custom ear tips!). Everyone is different, but maybe my experience will help someone, so I’ll share.

For my weird ears, I’ve realized that if I’m trying to get the IEM in as deeply as possible (at the point of angling it for even deeper insertion), and one ear or the other, etc., isn’t cooperating with a seal — just back it out to ‘normal’ depth, let the foam expand at the section of the canal it’s at, and this works perfectly for me. I was expecting to be able to jam this in Etymotic or Ortofon e-q5 / Ortofon e-q8 style! Not the case/not needed.

Anyways, point being - another helpful thing I’ve found is that you can also use the little titanium ‘handles’ (that connect to the cable; obviously don’t use the cable connection itself to move stuff). You can use the little cylinder ‘handles’ to rotate, and to slightly pull out/push in the iem a bit if you need to tweak the fit and seal as you get settled in. Comply comfort tips (Large), as always, seem to work well for me. Your mileage may vary : ). Looking forward to trying these with a medley of other tips but my ears disagree (they always do...).

Also, after getting the N6ii back...the Luna + N6ii might just be all I need now. Woooo so good.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #26 of 878
Snagged some screen shots of measurements from head-fi's CanJam NYC 2020 Preview video (linked here to start at the Luna, measurements start about 1 min later at ~7:30 or so)
THD:
Luna THD.PNG

Now onto frequency response. I think in my earlier post I tried to guess that the response would be more or less flat, with perhaps a slight dip in the mid-upper vocals. Well, how close was I/am I really a robot? Here's how the Luna measures:

Frequency Response:
Luna Freq Response.PNG

Frequency Response with Harman Target Overlay:
Luna Freq Response vs Harman Target.PNG

It bears mentioning that in reality, the drop depicted in the high end on the above frequency response graph is definitely not what you hear. This is a nice example of graphs and measurements telling one side of the story.

In actuality, the highs don't sound rolled-off and have plenty of detail, as the usable bandwidth in the high end is not rolled-off. Dunu has done a great job tuning this IEM.

I have some additional notes from my listening sessions to follow - I should probably post those before I head off to CanJam on Saturday! : )

(Edit - higher resolution screenshots added!)

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #27 of 878
It bears mentioning that in reality, the drop depicted in the high end on the above frequency response graph is definitely not what you hear. This is a nice example of graphs and measurements telling one side of the story.

In actuality, the highs don't sound rolled-off and have plenty of detail, as the usable bandwidth in the high end is not rolled-off. Dunu has done a great job tuning this IEM.

The graph is a bit of an optical illusion. The peak between 2k and 5.2k makes it look rolled off but in reality the treble energy at 7-14k is only around 6db less than it is at the lower frequencies. Probably obvious to everybody but I thought I would say it anyway. :wink:

I hope to be able to buy mine soon when China production is back up to speed.

Feb 19, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #30 of 878

Users who are viewing this thread

Back