DUNU LUNA - Impressions and Discussion
Jun 12, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #453 of 878
My Luna is review is up!

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/dunu-luna.24311/reviews#item-review-23809

11253649.jpg

Not all sunshine and rainbows from my end. There are some things to think about, but nothing I would call a deal breaker. Overall, pretty darn good IEM, just unsure about the asking price.

Jun 12, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #454 of 878
Jun 12, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #455 of 878
Given that you’re a big fan of Shure se846, I was kind of expecting some treble feedback from you :)
Out of curiosity, would you say you’re treble sensitive?

I am treble sensitive; noted this in the review. That's why I said it's a YMMV kind of thing.

The SE846 hasn't been my only IEM. I'm a fan of it but wouldn't say a big fan.

Jun 16, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #456 of 878
Tip rolling can definitely come into play, as well as source.

I am treble sensitive as well (but not upper mids sensitive unless this gets into harsh territory... think RHA CL2) and didn't have an issue with the Luna no matter which tips, but YMMV my ear canals are so big this also is a factor I guess. Also where the peaks are count, for instance I had issues with the EX1000 peaks.

Jun 18, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #457 of 878
No, it doesn't blow the FDX1 away imo, but the Luna is slightly better in several aspects. Imagine two pictures of the same scene, out of which one looks slightly clearer, more colorful, more contrasty and more three-dimensional than the other. The difference in individual aspects is actually rather small, a bit better textured bass, a smidgen more detail in the mids, slightly better instrument separation and layering... but the sum of all makes the Luna a more accomplished IEM in my book.

I wouldn't recommend trying to detect an issue when you don't hear one. People hear differently and listen to different types of music at different volume levels, so a slight upper mids bump won't be a problem for every listener. About 50% of the Luna reviews I've seen mention some glare or peakiness, so there are some who hear it and others who don't. If you hear it and it bothers you, then you might want to try the mod. But if you don't hear it, then just enjoy the Luna as is and don't worry.

EDITED
@james444
Regarding the treble glare, I also hear it, and am very thankful for your passing on the foam dampers with the tour unit! Even added a touch additional damping, which hits the sweet spot for me, slightly smoothing the mids and letting the bass shine a bit more.
I also found the Luna to show bigger sound changes with different tips than I have heard so far with any IEM, so tip rolling seems critical and allows tailoring the sound to a certain degree.

I compared the Luna to my modded JVC FD02 and find that the Luna responds strongly to the source. Using the Mojo, the difference in clarity, speed and especially impact is quite stark between the FD02 and the Luna, using lesser sources like the HiBy R3, or the Tempotec Sonata Pro dongle the difference becomes less dramatic.
Extreme example is "808 Slate" from Extrawelt, https://tidal.com/browse/track/63113851
Luna and Mojo are blistering fast and incredible bite and attack that even makes the EX1k sound slow and relaxed in comparison. The sounds are sharp and cracking noises with the Luna.

EDIT:
I am still trying to resist I stopped resisting and placed an order.
They are really excellent, clearly improving on the EX1K in most aspects, including fit and comfort!
More to follow...

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #458 of 878
Just received my supply box.
Wow, what a packaging and unboxing experience! Kudo’s to Dunu!

I have very tiny ears and struggle to find a comfortable fit with most universal IEM’s.
I need more time with Luna to decide but the first impression is that this one may actually work out for me!

Also need more time for sound impressions obviously but the first orchestral songs I listened to, it was very positive right out of the box!

44B1E098-05A0-4259-AD2B-18FBB8F84DAD.jpeg

Jun 19, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #459 of 878
Just received my supply box.
Wow, what a packaging and unboxing experience! Kudo’s to Dunu!

I have very tiny ears and struggle to find a comfortable fit with most universal IEM’s.
I need more time with Luna to decide but the first impression is that this one may actually work out for me!

Also need more time for sound impressions obviously but the first orchestral songs I listened to, it was very positive right out of the box!

44B1E098-05A0-4259-AD2B-18FBB8F84DAD.jpeg
Could be me, but they do seem to get a bit better as you use them (in the bass). I cannot be 100% on that as it took me a while to find the Sedna ear tips which are what really made the perfect fit and sound for me. So by that time they had allot of hours on them already. I believe DUNU does mention 50 hours though. Tks.

Jun 20, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #460 of 878
Speaking of tips, Azla released a new model recently. Looks super badass, and I imagine would pair with the Luna quite well aesthetically :) 1980 yen, for 2 pairs (~$18)
0000003011992.jpg
0000003011942.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #461 of 878
Speaking of tips, Azla released a new model recently. Looks super badass, and I'd imagine would pair with the Luna quite well aesthetically :) 1980 yen, for 2 pairs (~$18)
0000003011992.jpg
0000003011942.jpg
I need to get me some of those

Jun 20, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #462 of 878
The following won't be news to most of you as there are several LUNA measurements already out there,
but I've added a few additional little snippets that might be of interest to some LUNA owners.
You can click on any of the images to enlarge.

FR/channel balance:
channel_balance.png

THD at 80 dB, 90 dB and 94 dB:
THD@80dB.png
THD@90dB.png
THD@94dB.png

300 Hz square response:
DUNU_LUNA_300Hz_Sqr_wv.png

Impulse response:
LUNA_Impulse.png

Effects of eartip (same driving voltage for all cases, no renormalization):
eartips.png

Effects of blocking (using electrical tape) vent ports 1, 2, or both (same driving voltage for all cases, no renormalization):
LUNA_vent_ports_inlay.png

These measurements were made using a standard 711 (GRAS RA0045/40AO) coupler. No measurements will ever exactly match what you hear, because everybody's hearing is different and you may be using different eartips, with different insertion depths, etc. The main purpose here is relative comparisons. This was the US west-coast tour unit. Many thanks to the awesome folks at DUNU for allowing me to listen to, and measure, this headphone!:)

Jun 21, 2020 at 5:01 AM Post #464 of 878
Tip rolling can definitely come into play, as well as source.

I am treble sensitive as well (but not upper mids sensitive unless this gets into harsh territory... think RHA CL2) and didn't have an issue with the Luna no matter which tips, but YMMV my ear canals are so big this also is a factor I guess. Also where the peaks are count, for instance I had issues with the EX1000 peaks.
Graph looks almost identical to the RHA CL2. Any comparisons please? I don't find the RHA harsh for most of my library (bar some very specific albums), so I am definitely not Upper mid sensitive. :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

ADD: I have an LCDi4 also, would this be enough of a unique signature to justify the asking price? I see you have owned all 3 sets.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020 at 5:39 AM Post #465 of 878
Graph looks almost identical to the RHA CL2. Any comparisons please? I don't find the RHA harsh for most of my library (bar some very specific albums), so I am definitely not Upper mid sensitive. :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

ADD: I have an LCDi4 also, would this be enough of a unique signature to justify the asking price? I see you have owned all 3 sets.
Maybe my ears deceive me but I find that the Luna sound very different compared to the CL2.
Luna sounds a lot more full than the CL2 does in my opinion.
(Then again I have only had the luna for 2 days)

I've had good moments with the CL2 but I've also had songs in my library that I just couldn't enjoy with the CL2 because of the peak.
I haven't come across the same issue with the Luna personally.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back