Reaction score
Website
klauseulenbach.de
post-15701521
Post #471 of 611

surfgeorge

Member of the Trade: 3D Printed Accessory Designer
Reaction score
I definitely took my time with this one, but it's finally finished. Here is my review of the DUNU Luna: https://www.klauseulenbach.de/2020/06/25/flavor-of-the-month-dunu-luna/

blog_20200513_003.jpgblog_20200522_005.jpgblog_20200522_006.jpgblog_20200522_007.jpgblog_20200522_009.jpgblog_20200613_013.jpg
Excellent review and description of the Luna‘s signature and characteristics!
I do feel that the forwardness and fullness can mask details a little compared to thinner sounding IEMs and I am struggling with tracks that are prone to sibilance, where I prefer the Luna with a little mod that tames upper mids by 2-3 dB, but aside from that I find your descriptions match my impressions perfectly. The best review I have seen of these. Congrats!

Reactions: buonassi
post-15702307
Post #473 of 611

Spie1904

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Spie1904, can you compare Luna and EAH-TZ700?
I don’t have much time the coming weekend but I’ll try to get down to it. Any particular genre you’re looking at?
From memory I prefer the Luna by quite a margin :)

post-15702386
Post #474 of 611

kendosperling

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I now have Luna with me for nearly a week as part of the european tour.

This one is a special iem. Before I heard them I thought they are may be to upfront in the treble and it will get a little tiering as i prefered darker and warmer iems in the past. But the Luna surprised me. I enjoy them very much although i had problems with getting a good fit first. I prefer a very tight fit and seal and was not able to achive this with most tips that I tested (spiral dots, azla, final E type, spinfits...) or the provided ones. Dunu suggested to try double flange tips and I have them on there way and these might solve the problem. As a temporarily i use my custom tips but these where not made for the Luna and tend to come off after some time. But the sound with a good seal is very speacial...very resolving and quite neutral.
I also tested different daps
Lotoo Paw Gold -> some hiss and to much treble to me
DTR1 Prelude -> good synergy, this one supports the tuning of the Luna without going over the top with the treble
DTR1 Prelude + HA-2 Amp -> even better than DTR1 on its own, organic and lots of detail without it being shoved in your face....extended listening
Calyx M -> warmer than all other; traits of Luna still apparent; mids are more in the focus; subbas is a little more back than on the other

More to come in a review...

post-15706315
Post #475 of 611

DUNU-Topsound

Sponsor: DUNU
Reaction score
Dongguan, Shenzhen, Taipei, and California
So many great impressions ---- sorry about not keeping up with all of them! But we do read and digest all impressions and reviews to try to see where we can improve.

Anyone who does find the uppermost midrange too prominent, can reference @csglinux 's post on the effects between ear tips of different length stems. Longer stem ear tips, such as the SpinFit CP240 and Acoustune AET06, alter the 3-5 kHz area noticeably. Longer stems also help address fit issues some people have alluded to.

So if @surfgeorge has access to longer stem tips, you can try to see if you get an improved sound experience.

We've been having discussions about how to make LUNA and/or future products more accessible to more people. One of the ideas being thrown around is exchangeable stems, which may be different length stems, and also different types of damping materials. We still have a lot of work to do before something like this is workable, but we're not leaving anything off the table.

DUNU Join the tour for our beryllium rolled foil dynamic driver flagship, LUNA! Check it out on our official website! Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com https://m.me/DUNU.FANS
post-15706360
Post #476 of 611

bden59

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I don’t have much time the coming weekend but I’ll try to get down to it. Any particular genre you’re looking at?
From memory I prefer the Luna by quite a margin :)
We are interested in pros and cons of both models. It would be nice if you tell us which genres they are more suitable for.
Thank you!

Reactions: DUNU-Topsound
post-15706367
Post #477 of 611

tgx78

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
post-15706383
Post #478 of 611

HuoYuanJia

Previously known as Ultrazino
Reaction score
Website
klauseulenbach.de
We've been having discussions about how to make LUNA and/or future products more accessible to more people. One of the ideas being thrown around is exchangeable stems, which may be different length stems, and also different types of damping materials. We still have a lot of work to do before something like this is workable, but we're not leaving anything off the table.
Or... Customs? I mean, if you already launch a Studio series, the idea might not come completely out of the blue, right? :wink:

post-15707018
Post #479 of 611

DUNU-Topsound

Sponsor: DUNU
Reaction score
Simple. Lower the price : )
Oh, we're trying to do that --- make no mistake. It's easier said than done, though, and with LUNA, it's simply not possible.

Beryllium foil material is very expensive, in part because of the stringent safety measures that must be put in place during the fabrication process. Additionally, making acoustic-grade beryllium foil at the 10 mm size is different from how it is with full-sized headphones and speaker drivers. The shape of the beryllium diaphragm in the LUNA, because of its curvature and morphology, needed to be uniquely tooled only for the LUNA. This means we had to pay Materion and our materials supplier all of the tooling costs for stamp/mold creation, as well as pitch in with the costs associated with hazardous waste disposal, in addition to the 20+ iterations of the driver design --- each instance of which required costs associated with rapid prototyping. Lastly, workers are not free. The cost of labor in China is not nearly as 'cheap' as what people think it is. Wages have increased substantially. We also believe in providing our technicians commensurate compensation, and the specialized glues involved in the LUNA driver fabrication process require us to staff its production line with our most experienced technicians.

Amusingly, there was a reviewer (whose background is that he used to work for a Chi-Fi company, but we won't name shame here), who a while back sarcastically remarked that he found out from his 'insider sources' that our drivers could be made for 800 RMB (around $112 USD), as a means of questioning why we weren't handing out review samples like candy. We don't disclose these specific costs, but aside from the fact that he was off the reservation in his remarks, he was also far off the mark, as he didn't account for any of the aforementioned development costs.

Look, we know how it looks: a company that used to sell the $35 DN-12 Trident now sells a $1699 product. We could be mistaken for yet another company that just wants to pump out products with inflated price tags in the guise of high fidelity sound. In this case, however, a vast majority of the retail cost is non-negotiable. DUNU is not large enough a company that we can offset development costs with proceeds from other product lines.

All this doesn't stop us from trying to make LUNA and its derivative technologies more affordable, though. Our development directive following the release of the LUNA was to implement trickle-down technologies and fabrication methods to our lower end products. So folks will be seeing more LUNA-derived tech in lower end models. The upcoming ZEN model is such an example.

Or... Customs? I mean, if you already launch a Studio series, the idea might not come completely out of the blue, right? :wink:
People forget that DUNU offered a CIEM, the DC4, way back in 2012. All that can be said now is that we're not leaving anything off the table! :wink:

DUNU Join the tour for our beryllium rolled foil dynamic driver flagship, LUNA! Check it out on our official website! Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com https://m.me/DUNU.FANS
post-15707034
Post #480 of 611

feverfive

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
^^^^ I am down with all of that, fwiw. I look forward to the derivative developments that will follow the Luna. I appreciate that Dunu rolled the dice and took development of this tech so seriously, even if TOTL IEMs are not what will grab my consumer dollars these days.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)