DUNU LUNA - Impressions and Discussion
May 14, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #406 of 878
I am confused as well because they seem to be staying the opposite. Equal loudness (referred to as Fletcher Munson Curves, tho there are other standards now) operate under the understanding that perceptions of low end and some high end increases as volume increases. This means at lower volumes, low end and the higher ends need to be boosted to achieve equal loudness.

Edit: I re-read the posts above and it seems like they are correct, they just phrase it differently. They are stating that as volume increases, the 3khz region decreases in loudness. That is essentially the same as saying that bass and treble increase in loudness as volume increases, which is correct.

Last edited:
May 15, 2020 at 4:15 AM Post #407 of 878
Hi guys! so I’ve had quite some time with the tour sample of the LUNA now, (3 nights to be exact) and I’ve gotta say, it sounds really different from all of the IEMs I’ve heard so far (tonally wise).
It really did remind me of how I felt when I heard the KSE1500 the first time. Now I’m not saying they’re the same in both tonality and technical prowess, but they share this unique feeling when listening to them that I can’t really explain well. And unfortunately I currently don’t have access to the KSE1500, tho I’ll try to see if I could actually ask my local audio shop if I could borrow his demo for a little while to do a comparison but given the situation we’re all in right now, I’m not too sure how that’s gonna go through.

So far my first impression is that the LUNA is quite the Vocal siren. I’m coming from memory here, but the vocals, especially female vocals on it reminds me of the FitEar TG334 vocals but with more added detail and quite a lot more air and sparkle. The TG334 were a little dark in comparison. I guess that peak at around 3-4k really helped the LUNA achieve that “air” and sparkle that I hear. (Can anyone with the TG334 or have heard it a lot confirm this?) It might be crazy to say, but in memory, I feel like the LUNA might’ve just overthrown the TG334 for me as the “best” IEM for female vocals, or vocals in general as male vocals is almost as good as female vocals on the LUNA.
I’ll talk more about the sound once I do my review. Just wanted to say that I’m highly impressed by the LUNA’s vocals. I’m very into female vocal heavy music so It’s a given that I had to talk about that first lol

I did do a lot of tip rolling, and decided on a top 3 tips that I’ve liked. The Spiral Dots gave me the most air and sparkle out of the LUNA, and used those tips for a whole day until the sparkle started to actually bother me the second day, so I moved on to the Final E tips and that controlled the sparkle a little bit without losing the “airy” signature I liked. But even then the sparkle just comes and pokes me ever so slightly. I was honestly about to give up and told myself that man, these are amazing to these are starting to hurt my ears after longer listening sessions. Then I remembered Lachlan saying that the Sony Triple Comfort tips helped control the energetic treble of the IER-Z1R, but since I had a really good deep insertion and seal with mine using the MS Spiral Dots, I didn’t find the treble problematic. So I tried them and I actually went a size up, and used the ML size which was also a quite a bit longer compared to the other tips. And my lord, they worked! It controlled the sparkle way more and I didn’t notice much change in the “air” and “breathiness” of the LUNA’s vocal rendering. So if you guys have a chance to try out the Triple Comfort Tips from Sony, definitely give them a go. So if you really wanna experience what the LUNA can do, and you don’t mind getting hit by some sparkly bits, I say the Spiral Dots are still the best followed closely by the Final E tips, but if you really wanna tame that sparkle, do try the Sony’s. (And I have to say, they look very aesthetically pleasing with the Z1R versions)

img_6931.jpg

Also, I’ve posted a number of photos of the LUNA on the LUNA Introduction thread by DUNU, so head on over there as well if you wanna see them.

Looks like I’ll miss these badly when the time comes to ship them to the next person on tour.
I’ll do my best to write an extensive review and comparisons to my current IEM line soon!
Thanks again to @DUNU-Topsound for the opportunity to try these out. Kudos to you guys for creating something truly special.

May 15, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #408 of 878
Hi guys! so I’ve had quite some time with the tour sample of the LUNA now, (3 nights to be exact) and I’ve gotta say, it sounds really different from all of the IEMs I’ve heard so far (tonally wise).It really did remind me of how I felt when I heard the KSE1500 the first time. Now I’m not saying they’re the same in both tonality and technical prowess, but they share this unique feeling when listening to them that I can’t really explain well.

My words exactly, if you've read my review the Luna stunned me just as much as the KSE1500 in the sense that it's totally different from anything else... welcome to the club :) But they're different for very different reasons, just apart from the crowd in a big way!

May 15, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #409 of 878
My words exactly, if you've read my review the Luna stunned me just as much as the KSE1500 in the sense that it's totally different from anything else... welcome to the club :) But they're different for very different reasons, just apart from the crowd in a big way!
Exactly!!! And yes, I think it was with your review that I read that mentioned that!
Just like with my IER-Z1R and the KSE1500, they’re not really meant to be the type of earphones you use to relax and just forget you’re wearing them. No, they demand your attention. They want you to listen to their voices and hear them for what they are.

I might even say that having the LUNA for the excellent mid-range for both male and female vocals, IER-Z1R for the highly organic voicing of the bass and ever so energetic highs (it really converted me into loving DD highs) and getting the Wraith for that sit down and just relax type of buttery smoothness, that would just let you forget about them and just get lost in the music, would definitely complete it for me. That would be the dream lol (having the KSE1500 would be a nice addition for just its fast tonality and that ever so lush detail retrieval)

Just hoping for things to go back to normal and I could start earning more money again to be able to afford this hobby and stay broke LMAO

May 18, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #410 of 878
Dunu Luna is mostly source output impedance agnostic. The Yulong Canary here has a 10ohm OI but the Luna sounds just as good without any FR aberrations. Potentially a good thing for those who own OTL tube-amps.

Untitled.jpg

May 23, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #412 of 878
May 23, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #413 of 878
Nice review @Dsnuts :)
I found out the hard way my 28 photos don't fit in a review for headfi. Maximum 25.
I wish headfi would fix that. It's been a serious limitation for a long time now. If only there were some way of getting the attention of the mods. I've an idea. It's been too long since we had any drama on this thread, so... Final Audio fans - how would you compare the A8000 against the LUNA? Don't hold back when posting your strongly-worded opinions below... :wink:

200.gif

May 23, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #414 of 878
Here's the first shot. A rich buddy of mine demoed both extensively when both came out. This guy owns too many in ears to count and does a lot of reviews. Didn't care for the A8000. He owns the Luna now.
1590273587851.png

Which is yet another reason why I own the Luna and not the other. Lol
In all seriousness I bet the A8000 is a nice phone just not as nice as the Luna. Lol .

25 photos is a good amount but I did have to cut out a few. I say if you spend your hard earned Saturday memorial day weekend on taking photos and posting about an earphone. Why the limit? It is what it is.

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 7:11 AM Post #416 of 878
Hi there guys!!
My full-length written review for the LUNA is finally up on the Head Gear review!
It's the very first full-length review I have ever written, so it may not be the greatest but I hope you will still find it somewhat helpful!

May 25, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #417 of 878
Hi there guys!!
My full-length written review for the LUNA is finally up on the Head Gear review!
It's the very first full-length review I have ever written, so it may not be the greatest but I hope you will still find it somewhat helpful!
Well done with your review. I have spent a lot of time with my Lunas and I would agree with your sound impressions. I also like your writing style.

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #418 of 878
@riverground +1 kudos, it doesn't show at all that it's your first review, very well written!

May 25, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #419 of 878
Well done with your review. I have spent a lot of time with my Luna’s and I would agree with your sound impressions. I also like your writing style.
Thank you very much! I really appreciate that you like my writing style. And I'm happy to hear that you agree with my findings. The Luna is such a unique sounding IEM that makes me wish I could afford one right now lol. I miss her already...

@riverground +1 kudos, it doesn't show at all that it's your first review, very well written!

Thank you very much David!
Took me 3 days to write and edit. I honestly underestimated how long it takes to actually write a full length review.
It made me respect veteran reviewers like yourself, a lot more.
I've had the help of my very supportive gf with the editing as I still have a lot to learn about using proper punctuation.
But it was very fun to write, and I'm quite excited to actually write more reviews now. I'll work harder on the next one!

May 25, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #420 of 878
Nice review @Dsnuts :)

I wish headfi would fix that. It's been a serious limitation for a long time now. If only there were some way of getting the attention of the mods. I've an idea. It's been too long since we had any drama on this thread, so... Final Audio fans - how would you compare the A8000 against the LUNA? Don't hold back when posting your strongly-worded opinions below... :wink:

200.gif
Well I've been listening to my A8000 and the Luna for two months now. I will not be writing a review on either as there are a number of them posted already but I will write a A8000 vs Luna especially in terms of micro comparison (meaning 10 to 20 seconds at a time while they are both tarry in my musical memory). I may need another week or two as I do not feel like I own the sound of the Luna yet. At the moment I am leaning slightly more toward the A8000 (mainly due to the delicacy of the sound) with a caveat in that I am using a pretty high end custom cable vs the Luna stock cable even though the Luna stock cable is very very good as stock cable goes. Another challenge is that the two being both use single Beryllium driver, they do have more in common than you think. Rest assure I will speak my mind as I own both and I want to be honest with myself and you guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back