DUNU DN-2000J -- More Than Evolution?
Jul 13, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #1,936 of 2,123
For those of you interested I just posted my impressions of the new Etymotic ER4XR (the legendary neutral reference IEM) in this post and made a few comparisons with my beloved DN2000J.
appreciate it .thanks

Jul 14, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #1,937 of 2,123
  For those of you interested I just posted my impressions of the new Etymotic ER4XR (the legendary neutral reference IEM) in this post and made a few comparisons with my beloved DN2000J.

So, ER4XR is better, in your opinion, for classical and similar genres...I bought DN-2000J for this kind of genres, but they  haven't arrived yet. I've always heard about Etymotic and maybe thinking of changing to ER4XR. What do you think? What about the ER4SR? Is the bass on the ER4XR in the right spot, it is not too much right? How is the soundstage in ER4XR? Tks

Jul 14, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #1,939 of 2,123
  er4sr or dn2kj for vocals?

DN2K 
wink.gif

Jul 14, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #1,940 of 2,123

So, ER4XR is better, in your opinion, for classical and similar genres...I bought DN-2000J for this kind of genres, but they  haven't arrived yet. I've always heard about Etymotic and maybe thinking of changing to ER4XR. What do you think? What about the ER4SR? Is the bass on the ER4XR in the right spot, it is not too much right? How is the soundstage in ER4XR? Tks

Though questions but I'll do my best to answer them...

Well "better" just doesn't cut it, but I'd say the XR is cleaner (more transparent) and more accurate for acoustic instruments. But it's not that easy. Unlike the 2KJ, with the XR you do not really have the option of listening at low volumes to pick up details in treble and bass. The XR requires at the very least a "normal" listening volume to be able to shine in all frequencies. For non-classical music - where lots of things are going on in the sub bass and high treble - where it's harder for the brain to determine what the “true” FR should be, I'd say I prefer the 2KJ. However still at a rather low volumes though (which suits me perfectly). Overall the 2KJ projects more "authority", a more "awesome" sound, and with the right music/recording/volume level it is very satisfying. BTW, I had the AKG K3003 for well over a year and with the K3003 “High Boost” filters it was sort of similar to the 2KJ, and from memory I can honestly say I don’t miss the K3003.

If for one or another reason you feel you need or want a neutral reference IEM I believe the ER4XR (or possibly the SR) is your very best option; money wise and sound wise.

At normal volumes I experience the XR bass as neutral (even at somewhat louder volumes). I have a history with the ER4PT and as I remember it the lowest frequencies were simply lost at normal volumes. I'd expect the same to happen with the SR (but haven't heard it). Be aware though that the XR will not be able to serve you the kind of über bass the 2JK can, especially in the sub bass.

Well I’d say the soundstage on the XR is accurate; not spacious and not cramped. So, it’s not as spacious/3D as the 2KJ, but since the XR is über transparent it will never make you feel claustrophobic but instead always very free and light.

IMHO, the 2KJ and the XR are some of the most satisfying IEMs I’ve heard. They are both fantastic IEMs but in pretty different ways, and I really can’t say I prefer one over the other. It depends on my mood, recording, genre, volume, and so on.

Hope this was of some help!

Jul 14, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #1,941 of 2,123
  er4sr or dn2kj for vocals?

Can't say for sure as I haven't heard the SR, but a qualified guess would be the ER4SR. Personally, I'd stay away from the SR and pick up the XR. That is, if sub bass is at all important to you at - what I experience as - "normal" listening volume.

Jul 24, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #1,950 of 2,123

I've got both and yeah, the DN-D2000J is brighter and leaner than the IE 800 (pity you lost it...). Especially the DUNU's middle treble is more present, "hotter" (no real problem for me, both the IE 800 and DN-2000J are not too bright for my very personal tastes, but the DN-2000J is definitely brighter).

You may also look on Innerfidelity, the graphs also prove that the DUNU is the brighter out of the two.

Out of my simple measurement rig (Vibro Veritas, no professional gear but good for comparisons), it is also visible that the DUNU is brighter and has got more (especially middle) treble than the Senn.

@Arsalan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back