DUNU DN-2000J -- More Than Evolution?
Apr 29, 2016 at 7:29 AM Post #1,831 of 2,123
  The fit on the 2002 worries me but what really worries me is that someone in the thread for the 2002 mentioned that the resolution and midrange brightness were not as good as the 2000j. Removable cables and smoother treble though

I need more time with it - and definitely need more critical listening.  But I wouldn't say it is lacking in resolution at all.  I actually really like the overall tonality.

Apr 29, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #1,832 of 2,123
I need more time with it - and definitely need more critical listening.  But I wouldn't say it is lacking in resolution at all.  I actually really like the overall tonality.
looking forward to your thoughts Brooko. Another member considered the 2002 as more of a side grade than upgrade. Not really interested in shelling out that amount of money for that. Master 6 has me interested also

Apr 29, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #1,833 of 2,123
looking forward to your thoughts Brooko. Another member considered the 2002 as more of a side grade than upgrade. Not really interested in shelling out that amount of money for that. Master 6 has me interested also

Side grade to the DN-2000J.  The price is pretty close to that of the DN-2000J, so a sidegrade would make sense.  It has more bass and less spikey treble, so I would say the $50 increase of whatever would be worth it if you found the bass lacking and treble a bit too much on the DN-2000J, but loved its sound otherwise.  Anyways, the AKG K3003 could be considered a sidegrade to the DN-2000J if we're talking about sonic performance.

Apr 29, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #1,834 of 2,123
With bass rings and white spacer rings on and with SpinFit ear tips, my DN2000Js are not so bright as they once were out of box. Good bass, tamed treble and very personal-sounding vocals.

You will upgrade your mobile earlier than your IEMs. So, don't bother about the dark feel of mobile. DUNU is neutral enough and also flexible enough to mildly adjust its brightness.

Still better, buy the latest DUNU 4-driver 2002. It seems to be a decent upgrade at about the same price and also with detachable cable that let's you go balanced if you buy a balanced out DAP like DP-X1 or balanced DAC/Amp.

Thanks for the replies everyone; very helpful! I just took a listen to my phone and it has great mids but I find the sound too bassy and a bit closed in, dark. It could be the earbuds themselves but I don't have any other pair to compare them to (my two ULTRASONEs sound too distant and need an amp, but sound somewhat dark as well). I don't plan on selling my phone anytime soon as I quite like it, but also I'm not a phone freak and limited by being no contract. Maybe in a few years!

I've used the "Brilliant Treble" EQ on Google Play music player and music sounded the best through it, as it gave the sound air and space. I listen to the Beatles a lot... my favorite band. Black Sabbath too, also a lot of video game music. Anything rock pretty much and I use FLAC files as of now. I think this phone needs detail more than anything else. It can't really do heavy bass without sounding muddy, so refined bass is my goal I think. Mids are really nice though.

I see FLC8s mentioned is $360. I found this review which liked it better than the DN-2000J. Anyone else heard the two and compared? Is it worth the $110 price increase or is the 2000J the bargain of the world?

Apr 29, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #1,835 of 2,123
Originally Posted by Devarika Woulf /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I see FLC8s mentioned is $360. I found this review which liked it better than the DN-2000J. Anyone else heard the two and compared? Is it worth the $110 price increase or is the 2000J the bargain of the world?

From my FLC8s review:

DUNU DN_2000J:
The DN-2000J is an extremely good in-ear and convinces inter alia with its special bass which is both very fast and precise as well as tactile and has a gorgeous body at the same time (its lows’ qualities are quite similar to my Audeze LCD-X’s). On top, midrange and treble resolution are excellent.
Well, the FLC8s reveals even a bit more details than the DUNU and also has got a minimally faster bass which is more arid too, although DN-2000J’s is already really good for a hybrid in-ear. What the FLC however doesn’t adopt is DUNU’s woofer’s special character which is albeit something very unique for itself – in exchange, FLC8s is overall sonically and technically the somewhat better and slightly more refined, detailed in-ear.
FLC8s’ soundstage is a bit wider than DUNU’s, however less deep. In terms of spatial presentation and instrument separation, the FLC is somewhat more precise, with instruments that are very cleanly placed and sharply separated from each other – even more than DN-2000J’s.

Pro FLC8s: versatility, slightly more arid and faster bass, slightly sharper separation, slightly higher refinement and detail retrieval, more liquid & very refined mids

Pro DN-2000J: cable (vs. FLC8s's microphonic stock cable), soudstage depth, bass body while still maintaining speed and control, being overall pretty close to the FLC8s

Apr 29, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #1,836 of 2,123
I just wanted to post a general comment about tip seal and fit when it comes to the 2000Js.  I've learned a lot from folks reading this forum and had settled on the Sony Hybrid tips (large) for my ear canals but recently decided to try out some SpinFits to see if it could make a difference for me.  Wow, was that a wrong choice.  I just can't get a good seal with the SpinFits and the 2000Js just sound anemic and weak.  It's back to the the Sony Hybrids and it's likely to stay there for me; the difference is like night and day!  Seriously, I'd almost think I was listening to stock smart phone earbuds with the SpinFit tips on.  For what it's worth I'm listening to the DSD files of the Shaft Soundtrack (Isaac Hayes) from the SACD, which to me, are reference level tracks for testing what kind of bass these things can put out when you have a great fit/seal!  Sublime!  To paraphrase the old saying, "they'll have to pry these Sony Hybrid tips out of my cold, dead hands" :)!

Have a nice weekend everyone!

Apr 29, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #1,837 of 2,123
I just wanted to post a general comment about tip seal and fit when it comes to the 2000Js.  I've learned a lot from folks reading this forum and had settled on the Sony Hybrid tips (large) for my ear canals but recently decided to try out some SpinFits to see if it could make a difference for me.  Wow, was that a wrong choice.  I just can't get a good seal with the SpinFits and the 2000Js just sound anemic and weak.  It's back to the the Sony Hybrids and it's likely to stay there for me; the difference is like night and day!  Seriously, I'd almost think I was listening to stock smart phone earbuds with the SpinFit tips on.  For what it's worth I'm listening to the DSD files of the Shaft Soundtrack (Isaac Hayes) from the SACD, which to me, are reference level tracks for testing what kind of bass these things can put out when you have a great fit/seal!  Sublime!  To paraphrase the old saying, "they'll have to pry these Sony Hybrid tips out of my cold, dead hands" :)!

Haven't tried Sony hybrid tips but, compared to stock tips and Comply tips, SpinFits of small size are giving me very good fit, isolation, improved bass with help from bass rings and less pressure.

Apr 29, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #1,838 of 2,123
Haven't tried Sony hybrid tips but, compared to stock tips and Comply tips, SpinFits of small size are giving me very good fit, isolation, improved bass with help from bass rings and less pressure in ears. I even rest my ears on pillow without any inconvenience. Have you tried a size smaller SponFits? They might go a bit deeper and offer better fit and mildly different SQ.

Apr 30, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #1,839 of 2,123

The same story here, to be honest I was expecting better results from the Spin-Fits, but the sound signature deteriorated. I tried both sizes - large and medium. None of them gave a good seal. The mid ones - gave somewhat cheap sound, lacking bass. Tried to insert deeper, but still no good seal. The large ones were supposed to give a better seal, but they just flexed when inserted. I think the material needs to be a bit harder, not so soft to give a better seal.
So I stayed with the stock white ones, which I use with the large single-flange from MEE audio Eartips set. I also tried HIFIMAN Replacement Tips for RE Series RE400/RE600 IEM, but only the long single flange ones worked for me.

Apr 30, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #1,840 of 2,123
THIS!  I have larger ear canals and I find the material on the SpinFits to be too thin/flexible to make a good seal for me.  The Sony Hybrid tips are thicker and slightly more rigid (although not what I would desribe as "stiff" by any means).  All of this means I wasn't getting a good seal with the SpinFits but I get a great seal with the Sonys.  Believe me, I wanted to like the SpinFits as the concept of the design seems like it'd be great, it just isn't work for this combination of earbuds/large ear canals to get the needed seal.

May 1, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #1,843 of 2,123
  Will this IEM work alright with my LG G4? I can't use an external dac/amp. So I'm just wondering if this was worth buying. 

Should be fine unless you hear any notable hissing with sensitive iems.

May 2, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #1,844 of 2,123
Just curious if anyone tried dn2000j+customsleeves

Not until just now. :)

I have a pair of Snugs sleeves  that were made to fit my RHA MA-750, but with a minor mod they fit my 2000j's too.

I would say the sound balance and quality is very similar to the normal silicone tips I use but with a much better fit.

I'm going to stick with this combo for a while.

May 2, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #1,845 of 2,123
  From my FLC8s review:

Pro FLC8s: versatility, slightly more arid and faster bass, slightly sharper separation, slightly higher refinement and detail retrieval, more liquid & very refined mids

Pro DN-2000J: cable (vs. FLC8s's microphonic stock cable), soudstage depth, bass body while still maintaining speed and control, being overall pretty close to the FLC8s

Thanks for the review and comparison, much appreciated! Decided to give the FLC8s a try. I will keep my eye on the new DUNU products coming up though as they sound like great company with high-quality IEMs.
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back