DUNU DN-2000J -- More Than Evolution?
Jul 5, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #752 of 2,123
  DUNU DN-2000J vs. "high boost" K3003:

Well, I've been listening to my K3003 with high boost filters for almost two weeks now, and honestly, I can't see myself preferring them over the reference filters. I think the main thing I don't like about that tuning is that the armature driver kinda takes precedence over the dynamic driver, and their disparity in note weight becomes all the more apparent.

For the sake of a comparison to the 2000J, it still makes sense though. But there's honestly not much to add to my impressions posted earlier in the K3003 thread:

Like I said, tonality between the "high boost" K3003 and the 2000J is very close, and I'd actually have ended up preferring the latter over the former based on their more seamless driver integration... if it hadn't been for the Dunu's splashy cymbals. It really annoyed me that the 2000J, even with an additional layer of damping (aka "cloth mod" or "swab mod") sounded still more energetic and splashier than the overall brighter "high boost" K3003.

So I started looking for a better damping solution, picked different materials, but no matter what I tried, it either had too little damping effect on treble energy or too much impairing effect on transparency. Then I remembered something I once tried on the much spikier Samsung IG900, and it turned out to be a game changer for the 2000J...

DUNU DN-2000J "Blu-Tacked":

Instructions (unless you have impeccable eyesight, use a magnifying glass!)

Pinch off the smallest piece of Blu-Tack you can manage and roll it into a tiny ball. Important: make sure it isn't larger than shown in the pictures! Then press it gently against the center of the metal grill until it sticks.

Put the clear silicone tips on and check if the result looks like the picture - congrats, you're done!

How it works (I think :wink:

In DD / BA hybrids like the K3003 and 2000J, the armature sits directly behind the metal grill. Since higher frequencies have a narrower dispersion than lower frequencies and get easier absorbed by damping material, the Blu-Tack affects first and foremost energy peaks in the treble range and has little to no effect on the rest of the spectrum.

How it sounds (imo)

One word - terrific! This sounds better than every other damping solution I've tried. Well controlled vocal sibilance and cymbal splashes. A tad better fleshed out mids. Ever so slightly more perceived bass, as a result of tamed treble. Awesome transparency! To my ears, the blu-tacked 2000J are superior to the "high boost" K3003.

(Disclaimer: try at your own risk. If you want to undo this, simply use a larger piece of Blu-Tack and gently dab the small pieces off the grill.)

I truly admire your technical knowldedge on this subject mate. Well done and thank you for sharing.
I'll give it a go and maybe I can include this in my review?
Will make sure that your original post is referenced.

Jul 6, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #754 of 2,123
Hi James,

Great job!
I am pretty happy with my modded fx850 (james444_fx850:))but am I was also wondering the possibility updating them to fx1100. By checking your recent posts, I found you here:)
Could you help to post some comparison between your modded fx1100 and this modded 2000j? Including modded fx850 in the comparison would be awesome:)

DUNU DN-2000J vs. "high boost" K3003:

Well, I've been listening to my K3003 with high boost filters for almost two weeks now, and honestly, I can't see myself preferring them over the reference filters. I think the main thing I don't like about that tuning is that the armature driver kinda takes precedence over the dynamic driver, and their disparity in note weight becomes all the more apparent.

For the sake of a comparison to the 2000J, it still makes sense though. But there's honestly not much to add to my impressions posted earlier in the K3003 thread:

Like I said, tonality between the "high boost" K3003 and the 2000J is very close, and I'd actually have ended up preferring the latter over the former based on their more seamless driver integration... if it hadn't been for the Dunu's splashy cymbals. It really annoyed me that the 2000J, even with an additional layer of damping (aka "cloth mod" or "swab mod") sounded still more energetic and splashier than the overall brighter "high boost" K3003.

So I started looking for a better damping solution, picked different materials, but no matter what I tried, it either had too little damping effect on treble energy or too much impairing effect on transparency. Then I remembered something I once tried on the much spikier Samsung IG900, and it turned out to be a game changer for the 2000J...

Pinch off the smallest piece of Blu-Tack you can manage and roll it into a tiny ball. Important: make sure it isn't larger than shown in the pictures! Then press it gently against the center of the metal grill until it sticks.

Put the clear silicone tips on and check if the result looks like the picture - congrats, you're done!

In DD / BA hybrids like the K3003 and 2000J, the armature sits directly behind the metal grill. Since higher frequencies have a narrower dispersion than lower frequencies and get easier absorbed by damping material, the Blu-Tack affects first and foremost energy peaks in the treble range and has little to no effect on the rest of the spectrum.

How it sounds (imo)

One word - terrific! This sounds better than every other damping solution I've tried. Well controlled vocal sibilance and cymbal splashes. A tad better fleshed out mids. Ever so slightly more perceived bass, as a result of tamed treble. Awesome transparency! To my ears, the blu-tacked 2000J are superior to the "high boost" K3003.

(Disclaimer: try at your own risk. If you want to undo this, simply use a larger piece of Blu-Tack and gently dab the small pieces off the grill.)

Jul 6, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #755 of 2,123

How it sounds (imo)

After this mod, isn't it getting closer to the regular dn2000?

Jul 6, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #756 of 2,123
James you should be an engineer!

Also, how much bigger are the 2000Js versus, say, the KC06?

They're slightly bigger than the KC06, from memory I'd say about the same diameter as the FX700.

I truly admire your technical knowldedge on this subject mate. Well done and thank you for sharing.
I'll give it a go and maybe I can include this in my review?
Will make sure that your original post is referenced.

Thanks! By all means, do try it and post feedback. Personally, I think it sounds superb, but it will take more (and better) ears to verify... particularly regarding treble extension, as mine are only adequate up to 16kHz.

He's at it again!

The DUNU DN444J(ames)

redface.gif

After this mod, isn't it getting closer to the regular dn2000?

Afraid I haven't heard the regular DN2000.

Hi James,

Great job!
I am pretty happy with my modded fx850 (james444_fx850:))but am I was also wondering the possibility updating them to fx1100. By checking your recent posts, I found you here:)
Could you help to post some comparison between your modded fx1100 and this modded 2000j? Including modded fx850 in the comparison would be awesome:)

Sure... the modded FX1100 have tighter, better defined bass than the modded FX850, and smoother, more downsloping treble. At first listen, you're tempted to think that the FX850 have better resolution, but as the ears adjust you realize that the FX850 are just brighter / spikier and the FX1100 provide the same detail in a less fatiguing way. The modded 2000J sound the most clear and detailed of the bunch, their tonal balance closer to the FX850 than the FX1100. Both JVCs sound smoother and more euphonic than the 2000J, particularly in the upper mids and highs (easily noticeable with violins and horns), whereas the Dunus' almost aggressive clarity / resolution / separation makes them a bit artificial (and potentially more fatiguing) sounding. The 2000J's bass is the flattest and tightest of the three, although the modded JVCs are only mildly elevated and marginally slower in comparison. Both JVCs have slightly better mids presence, but the Dunus make up for that with their amazing clarity, so vocal intelligibility is about the same.

Out of the full-sized headphones I've heard, the modded 2000J remind me most of the HD800: jaw-dropping clarity and transparency, yet very much in a no-nonsense / hi-tech / analytical way. The modded FX1100 are intriguingly different in my book, and rather like a crossbreed between the LCD2v2, HD600 and the Orpheus, with their effortless bass, smooth mids and euphonic timbre.

Jul 6, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #757 of 2,123

Awesome mod! Thank you! I will give it a try.
Btw, very nice macro picture as well!

After 200+ hours burn-in, I can confirm that it is now sounds smoother. I don't think the burn-in process changed the tonality, still the same level of treble, but sounds smoother. Probably the transient characteristic changed, but I'm not very sure. I don't want to start burn-in debate here, just sharing my opinion, and my friends opinion as well. I did use it for hours before burn-in and take note of the impression for me to remember, later after almost 2 weeks of burn-in.

Thanks to @ojy89 to bring his Hugo to be tested with DN2000J! Me, @ojy89 and @RedTwilight had good time testing it last night. DN-2000J + JVC eartips sounds really awesome from the Hugo headphone output. We used DX90 as transport, SPDIF coaxial connection to Hugo, and use Hugo headphone output.  Treble is silky smooth on Hugo, no peaky or glaring treble at all, smooth and transparent. Mids was lush and bass was awesome.

The JVC FXD eartips I use for DN-1000 also works well for DN-2000J for taming the treble. After I get more familiar with the characteristic of the of both stock eartips and JVC FXD eartips, I will try the Blu-Tack mod. Thanks for sharing!

Jul 7, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #758 of 2,123
Thank you James, really appreciate that! Sounds like that jvcs are more musical and more laid-back, this is probably why sometimes I even lime my fx850 more than my Signature Pro which is technically more superior. I am not still very sure what is my favourite sound signature as I haven't tried many different phones. I thought I might prefer clear, crispy sound with high resolution, good treble extension, neutral or even a little bit cold. But it turned out that this kind of sound might be fatiguing to me. Now seems I may prefer kind of dark/warm signature but with good clarity. I don't know whether my thoughts make sense.
Could you also compare the sound stage and instruments separation among them (2000j, fx1100, fx850, k3003)? I like spacious, airy sound, as most people do. Maybe we shouldn't expect too much for iems on this regard, but I still would like to hear your opinions. And also could you please share how much you think fx1100 is better than fx850? Is it worthwhile to buy fx1100 when I am happy with my fx850? Probably fx1100 will make me much happier if they offers larger sound stage and better clarity?
Sorry for so many questions? Especially some of those questions are not directly related to 2000j. :)

They're slightly bigger than the KC06, from memory I'd say about the same diameter as the FX700.

Thanks! By all means, do try it and post feedback. Personally, I think it sounds superb, but it will take more (and better) ears to verify... particularly regarding treble extension, as mine are only adequate up to 16kHz.

:xf_eek:

Afraid I haven't heard the regular DN2000.

Sure... the modded FX1100 have tighter, better defined bass than the modded FX850, and smoother, more downsloping treble. At first listen, you're tempted to think that the FX850 have better resolution, but as the ears adjust you realize that the FX850 are just brighter / spikier and the FX1100 provide the same detail in a less fatiguing way. The modded 2000J sound the most clear and detailed of the bunch, their tonal balance closer to the FX850 than the FX1100. Both JVCs sound smoother and more euphonic than the 2000J, particularly in the upper mids and highs (easily noticeable with violins and horns), whereas the Dunus' almost aggressive clarity / resolution / separation makes them a bit artificial (and potentially more fatiguing) sounding. The 2000J's bass is the flattest and tightest of the three, although the modded JVCs are only mildly elevated and marginally slower in comparison. Both JVCs have slightly better mids presence, but the Dunus make up for that with their amazing clarity, so vocal intelligibility is about the same.

Out of the full-sized headphones I've heard, the modded 2000J remind me most of the HD800: jaw-dropping clarity and transparency, yet very much in a no-nonsense / hi-tech / analytical way. The modded FX1100 are intriguingly different in my book, and rather like a crossbreed between the LCD2v2, HD600 and the Orpheus, with their effortless bass, smooth mids and euphonic timbre.

Jul 7, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #759 of 2,123
I think these sound great, I'm using the bass rings, JVC spiraldots, and no spacer rings.

Jul 8, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #760 of 2,123
I thought I might prefer clear, crispy sound with high resolution, good treble extension, neutral or even a little bit cold. But it turned out that this kind of sound might be fatiguing to me. Now seems I may prefer kind of dark/warm signature but with good clarity. I don't know whether my thoughts make sense.
Could you also compare the sound stage and instruments separation among them (2000j, fx1100, fx850, k3003)? I like spacious, airy sound, as most people do. Maybe we shouldn't expect too much for iems on this regard, but I still would like to hear your opinions. And also could you please share how much you think fx1100 is better than fx850? Is it worthwhile to buy fx1100 when I am happy with my fx850? Probably fx1100 will make me much happier if they offers larger sound stage and better clarity?
Sorry for so many questions? Especially some of those questions are not directly related to 2000j.
smily_headphones1.gif

None of the mentioned IEMs are dark, but the JVCs are slightly warmer than the 2000J and K3003. Ime soundstage is very subjective, to me the JVCs and K3003 have a little more depth than the 2000J, as I perceive the Dunus as more upfront due to their extreme clarity. But all of them sound nicely open and spacious and not in any way closed-in like deep-fitting / highly-isolating phones. If you're happy with your FX850, then simply stay with them, because neither the FX1100 nor the others are head and shoulders better imo.

Jul 8, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #761 of 2,123

How it sounds (imo)

So I got to try James' mod and it seems to smoothen the upper mids/lower treble a little bit more. There's still emphasis but this time the treble is more dispersed resulting into a more airy presentation. The soundstage sounds a bit more wider or spacious providing a more sense of spacing for the listener.

Well done @james444 this mod is highly recommended.

Jul 14, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #762 of 2,123

Despite being hybrids, the 2000J's driver integration is virtually seamless. They're awesome IEMs, except for slightly too sibilant / splashy treble, which can be resolved by a simple mod (linked in my sig).

Please post feedback in the 2000J thread... I'd be interested in a short comparison to your ER4S (if you can find the time)

Hi, first time poster to this thread - james444 recommended the DN-2000J when I was looking at the Sony EX-1000 as a potential "bassier" upgrade to my ER4S. My DN-2000J just arrived in the post today, and I haven't had the chance to do a formal A/B comparison, but only after an hour of listening, I am thoroughly impressed with this earphone!

My 2 cents ATM:

- the mids are slightly warmer than the ER4S but I don't notice a loss in resolution or clarity - I can still distinguish which strings have been strummed or plucked with ease, but perhaps not so much the breaths of the vocalists between sung words,
- what I definitely notice is the impact and rumble of the bass I've been wishing for from the ER4S, but still with great texture and speed, but with not quick a decay as the ER4S - in a word, it sounds more natural than the ER4S,
- treble wise, I don't notice as much sibilance than on the ER4S, but it is certainly more extended than my RE-600S and gives the cymbals that much need sparkle and electronic music more energy - I usually rest my ears after an hour of listening from the ER4S due to fatigue, but not yet so far with the DN2000Js.
- soundstage wise, I had no idea of how wide a soundstage of an IEM could be until I heard this - my SE215, RE-600S and ER4S all seem "in my head" by comparison. It is not as wide as my Hifiman HE-500 planars, but still very impressive for an IEM!
- instrument separation is as good as the ER4S - no congestion so far!

- comfort wise, it is much easier and quicker to get a comfortable fit and good seal - I had to spend ages with the triple flanges to get a good seal for the bass on the ER4S. On the other hand, though, isolation is certainly not as good as the ER4S, which I shall keep for my flights,
- the 8 ohm impedence of the DN2000J vs the 100 ohm of the ER4S manifests with a low hiss on my Schiit stack (Magni/Modi), while the ER4S is dead silent on all my sources - I'm going to audition the Aurender Flow and the Calyx M to see if these have a lower noise floor, and to see whether these scale with better sources/amps,
- the only worry I have encountered is that I'm used to inserting my IEMs deep (ER4S and RE-600S) to achieve good isolation - while I have read from Brooko's review that the DN-2000J is smaller than the DN-2000 (http://www.head-fi.org/products/dunu-dn-2000j/reviews/13243), it is larger than I am used. I am happy with the sound that is coming out though!

I haven't tried any of the metallic or bass rings (is it worth a go?) - the ear guides work very well.

I will try to do a formal A/B comparison as time permits - the major difficulty being my ears hurting from removing and inserting the ER4S triple flanges too often >_<

Jul 14, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #763 of 2,123
I also just received my fair of DN-2000Js...to go head to head with a recently purchased pair of Fidue A83s.  While I still think I prefer the sound of the A83s overall...comfort wise, even with an upgraded cable on the A83s, I still find I like the fit and easy of use on the Dunu's superior.  I've got to do some more listening to make sure the sound sig is exactly what I'm looking for, but it's looking good after a few hours of use last night.  

I had a pair of DN1000s a few weeks ago and they were a bit too bassy for my liking.  These things seem to be just a touch bass light, but still impressive overall.  I'd rather be a bit bass light than having too much...that's for certain.

Jul 15, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #764 of 2,123
  I also just received my fair of DN-2000Js...to go head to head with a recently purchased pair of Fidue A83s.  While I still think I prefer the sound of the A83s overall...comfort wise, even with an upgraded cable on the A83s, I still find I like the fit and easy of use on the Dunu's superior.  I've got to do some more listening to make sure the sound sig is exactly what I'm looking for, but it's looking good after a few hours of use last night.  

I had a pair of DN1000s a few weeks ago and they were a bit too bassy for my liking.  These things seem to be just a touch bass light, but still impressive overall.  I'd rather be a bit bass light than having too much...that's for certain.

Have you tried the bass rings? They subtly increase the low end a bit and may bump up the bass to the perfect level for you.

Jul 15, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #765 of 2,123

Have you tried the bass rings? They subtly increase the low end a bit and may bump up the bass to the perfect level for you.

Yeah, I'm using them.  Turns out, I just had to find the right tips.  Also turns out, none of the bazillion included tips are what I was looking for.  JVC Spiral Dots did the trick.  Silver spacer and the bass ring and I'm golden.  I absolutely love these things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back