DUNU DN-2000J -- More Than Evolution?
Jul 16, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #781 of 2,123
I just received mine today, and I'd agree with the general consensus about these being bright, clear, highly resolving. I think someone compared these to HD800's the thread here, and I'll agree, they remind me a lot like HD800's... in both good and bad ways. The HD800's were a bit much for me in the treble category, and these feel similar. Looks like I'll be picking up some blue tack as well. Thanks for the mod write up btw!

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #783 of 2,123
Just bought these, very impressed. Did people have to raise the volume to get the same level of decibels as the DUNU DN-2000. These are not as sensitive as I thought because I have to raise volume levels considerably higher.

Nevertheless, the midrange is great. Treble is crisp, bass is mesmerising. Outstanding.

Recommend any tips and/or tip-combos.?

Thanks

Yes, using a fiio e17 I needed to raise the volume about 2 over what my 2k used.

Agreed, these are amazing. Still don't like the box other than to hold all the bags of accessories.

Steve

Jul 17, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #784 of 2,123
Loctite fun-tak mod in place. Not bad. I no longer have the ice truck killer in my ears.
etysmile.gif

Guess that's why it's called fun-tak :p

Jul 17, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #785 of 2,123
Has anyone tried the James blue tac mod + spinfit tips with -4db eq between 7-9khz? Sounds perfect to me...

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #787 of 2,123
Wow, so $340 for a Chinese product with name and brand not being heard too often out there ? Not to mention no removable cables. My ghost, the price.

That's was my first impression of Dunu before I tried the DN-1000's (their lower level 3 driver hybrid). It's around $180 usd, so it's easier to take a risk on. They absolutely embarrassed/destroyed/outperformed/whatever adjective you want to use/etc...  my B&W C5 S2's which cost the same price and come from a highly respected audio company. That's what got me to upgrade to these. 

--------------------------

On another note, James' blue-tac mod made a huge difference in smoothing out the treble. It's definitely all love now. 
I settled on the following: 
- blue tac mod
- bass ring
- no metal/colored tuning ring
- DN-1000 foam tips 

It's pretty amazing so far. 

* Edit - on another note, I didn't want to double post just for this, but the DN-2000j's sound great coming out of an Oppo HA-2 DAC/amp. Even though they list the impedance at only 8ohm's, the background is dead silent. Makes me think the rating is off (like hifiman products), but whatever... they work beautifully together. 

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #788 of 2,123
  Edit - one other note, I didn't want to double post just for this, but the DN-2000j's sound great coming out of an Oppo HA-2 DAC/amp. Even though they list the impedance at only 8ohm's, the background is dead silent. Makes me think the rating is off (like hifiman products), but whatever... they work beautifully together. 

I agree with this your whole post, but especially the HA-2 & the 2000Js.  :)

It's a beautiful combo.

I made the transition from the cheaper DN1000s as well and I personally prefer non-detachable cables.

I use the bass ring, the smallest silver spacer and the jvc spiral dot tips.

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #789 of 2,123
I agree with this your whole post, but especially the HA-2 & the 2000Js.  :)

It's a beautiful combo.

I made the transition from the cheaper DN1000s as well and I personally prefer non-detachable cables.

I use the bass ring, the smallest silver spacer and the jvc spiral dot tips.

But, what about A83?

Have you left us for good in the Fidue thread?

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #790 of 2,123
But, what about A83?

Have you left us for good in the Fidue thread?

I have.  :frowning2:  

Just could never get a good fit w/ the A83s...and didn't want to destroy the cable just at the chance it would fit better.  Glasses suck.  Even over ear, the Dunu's fit much much better and don't pull out of my ears.  The only truly over ear headphone that's ever fit me properly is the VSonic GR07/BE.  I can't wear Shure, Westone, etc...so I think I'm done even attempting them.  I actually prefer the sound sig on the A83 ever so slightly...but the fit ruins it for them.

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #791 of 2,123
I have.  :frowning2:  

Just could never get a good fit w/ the A83s...and didn't want to destroy the cable just at the chance it would fit better.  Glasses suck.  Even over ear, the Dunu's fit much much better and don't pull out of my ears.  The only truly over ear headphone that's ever fit me properly is the VSonic GR07/BE.  I can't wear Shure, Westone, etc...so I think I'm done even attempting them.  I actually prefer the sound sig on the A83 ever so slightly...but the fit ruins it for them.

Oh noses! Say it isn't true...

Well, least you have a great alternative. 2000J is a great hybrid, just a little spitty for me personally in vocal sibilance.

If only I'd tried the blu tack

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #792 of 2,123
Oh noses! Say it isn't true...

Well, least you have a great alternative. 2000J is a great hybrid, just a little spitty for me personally in vical sibilance.

If only I'd tried the blu tack

That's my only tiny issue...but ironically enough out of the new iPod Touch 6G they sound fantastic.  It tames that slight harshness that the X5II would just exacerbate.  So I'm all set.  :)

Jul 17, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #793 of 2,123
Dunu DN2000J Impressions

Dunu should win some kind of award. I have never seen such amenities appointed on an IEM. Upon seeing little ziplock bag after ziplock bag full of accessories, I instantly thought of the gumball toy dispensers of my youth- you know the ones with spider rings and super balls? No stone has been left unturned: tuning rings, bass rings, tips galore, cable guides, cable tie, removal flaps and the list goes on and on. Fit and finish is really nice too. From the case to the cable to the housings. All of it screams high end. Truly well done Dunu. An unboxing experience like no other.

If I have one build and aesthetic critique, it would be to remove the tab on the housing for the pull out staps. That tab rubs my ears and cramps my fit on otherwise small and comfy housings. After about an hour, my ears start to get irritated and I have to remove them.

The Great
Bass! Wow, what can I say?! It’s truly top tier; rivaling and besting many IEMs costing a grand or more. Probably inside the top 5 of all 161 IEMs, CIEMs and earbuds I’ve heard. It’s taught, it’s fast and texture is superb. Class leading- no two ways about it. The amount of boost is exquisitely tasteful. I have zero complaints. But all bets are off with the bass rings. It becomes a little boomy with texture and speed taking a serious hit.

Give me this driver, in this housing without the tab; we don’t need no stinking balanced armature.

The Good
Excellent sense of space. When listening back to back with my GR10E or E-Q8, the DN2000J makes them seem 2D in comparison; mere holographs. Resolution is great. This Dunu certainly stands toe to toe with with its sensei, the K3003.

The Bad (and the ugly)
Everyone has a bad side. Everyone can get a little ugly. Maybe they get a little drunk and show their ***** or have too short fuse? So too does the DN2000J. The treble. What the bloody hell? If I turn this thing up too loud, every dog in a twelve block radius is all of a sudden jumping and barking up a storm around my feet. If I apply the blu-tack mod, as prescribed from James444- IEM modder extraordinaire, it definitely smooths the peaks and removes the harshness. However the overall brightness level is still too high for me- unrealistically high, leaving me with a cold and crystalline feeling.

Conclusion
The DN2000J is top tier. Bass is phenomenal and overall it competes with anything. ANYTHING. But you better love lots-o-treble and yippy dogs. I, myself, as a connoisseur treblenaire, will probably have to let these go. Que sera, sera.

Jul 17, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #794 of 2,123
If I have one build and aesthetic critique, it would be to remove the tab on the housing for the pull out staps. That tab rubs my ears and cramps my fit on otherwise small and comfy housings. After about an hour, my ears start to get irritated and I have to remove them.

I think you maybe using the tab wrong? Pull out straps is probably a good use for those fins, but I beleive they are meant to tuck inside the concha as stabilizers, which might also ease the discomfort with the placement of the tab for you- at least it does for me (the other thing that works is when i wear them over-ear without the fins, I can get the tab to sit right in the notch area).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back