DUNU DN-2000J -- More Than Evolution?
Jun 10, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #646 of 2,123
Originally Posted by Brooko /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Conclusion - while my preference still remains the DN-2000J, I am reminded again just how good the DN-2000 and DN-1000 are.  DUNU really knocked it out of the park with all 3 IMO.

I haven't read the whole part (as I type this) but THIS, Dunu really nailed the triple hybrids to the extreme,imo......Right said!
softbank_ne_jp.B9E

Jun 10, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #647 of 2,123
DN2000J silicone tips rundown:

Here's the result of about an hour of silicone tip rolling on my 2000J (no, I haven't tried foam yet :wink:.

From worst to best:

1. SpinFits: these have been a letdown with every IEM I've tried and sure enough the 2000J are no exception. Reduced treble extension, yet still sibilance. Somewhat closed-in stage and diffuse sound. No go.

2. Gray stock tips: less sibilance than clear stock tips, but also less transparency and crispness. Better soundstage than SpinFits, but not as open sounding as some other tips. OK.

3. Sony Hybrids: Pretty good. Only mild sibilance, yet quite clear and crisp. Lack some air on top though (likely due to smaller bore size)

4. JVC Spiral Dots: Good middle ground between the gray and clear stock tips. Medium clarity, transparency and sibilance. Good soundstage. Better air on top than the Sonys.

5. Clear stock tips: Very clear and transparent, but also noticeably sibilant. Nice airiness and open soundstage. Somewhat edgy and fatiguing though.

6. Clear stock tips + alcohol swab: tucking a small piece of dried alcohol swab between the nozzle and clear stock tips takes some of the edge and sibilance out of the latter, while retaining most of their good qualities. Makes them sound very close to the K3003 tips, my favorite silicones for the 2000J.

7. K3003 tips: Quite similar to the clear stock tips, but a tad less edgy and sibilant. A tiny bit less crisp, but overall noticeably more refined sounding.

Keep in mind that this is just a subjective listening impression.
smile_phones.gif

Update 7/16/15: my favorite tips are now the clear stock ones, combined with the Blu-Tack mod. To my ears better than everything else in the above list.

Jun 10, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #648 of 2,123
  Please find a way to get me those tips. I'm dying to have them.

I got mine from Amazon Japan.  I then got a really top bloke (who lives in Japan) to send them to me.  I bought 6 pairs.  Should last a couple of years hopefully.  You just need to find comeone who's prepared to buy them on your behalf and send them on.
  Brooko, fantastic review. I have 2 questions:

1) if you take the DN2000J and boost the bass a bit, how does it sound?

2) which genres of music would you say each of the 3 is most suited for?

I've had the DN1000 and loved the bass, but the midrange wasn't clear nor fast. I'm inclined to go with the DN2000J as the latest and greatest, but your post has me thinking the DN2000 might be the sweetspot. I listen mostly to pop, heavy metal, rap etc.

Thanks!

Like Tom suggested - best is probably to cut the other frequencies.  But using something like the Fiio X3ii which applies a pre-cut already, I simply adjusted the first 3 sliders, and it definitely adds bass - with no real distortion (a bit of bleed though).  So it depends on your DAP and how much bass you're looking for.  The 2000J respond really well though.

I've never thought of IEMs being genre related.  But if I was going to choose a music type for each, I'd guess:
 - EDM or anything where bass is important etc, probably the DN-1000
 - DN2000 if you like a really balanced signature, and are maybe a little treble intolerant
 - DN2000J if you're like me, and like a balanced but brighter signature.  I really like them as an allrounder - but particularly for female based vocals.

It's really going to come down to your individual preference though.

Jun 11, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #649 of 2,123

I got mine from Amazon Japan.  I then got a really top bloke (who lives in Japan) to send them to me.  I bought 6 pairs.  Should last a couple of years hopefully.  You just need to find comeone who's prepared to buy them on your behalf and send them on.

Like Tom suggested - best is probably to cut the other frequencies.  But using something like the Fiio X3ii which applies a pre-cut already, I simply adjusted the first 3 sliders, and it definitely adds bass - with no real distortion (a bit of bleed though).  So it depends on your DAP and how much bass you're looking for.  The 2000J respond really well though.

I've never thought of IEMs being genre related.  But if I was going to choose a music type for each, I'd guess:
 - DN2000 if you like a really balanced signature, and are maybe a little treble intolerant
 - DN2000J if you're like me, and like a balanced but brighter signature.  I really like them as an allrounder - but particularly for female based vocals.

Ouch, that's not good for me. 
frown.gif
  I am treble intolerant.  I tried the T-Peos H300s for just a few days before having to sell them off.  They were so bright (and also sibilant) to me it was like chewing on tin foil (or aluminum foil for those that don't remember) with metal fillings in your teeth.
I may have to turn around and sell the ones off the drop unopened. 
frown.gif
  Oh well, maybe Dunu will find a happy medium and call it the DN-3000 (I just felt the DN2000 was just shy of perfection for my listening...I know, YMMV).
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jun 11, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #652 of 2,123
  Ouch, that's not good for me. 
frown.gif
  I am treble intolerant.  I tried the T-Peos H300s for just a few days before having to sell them off.  They were so bright (and also sibilant) to me it was like chewing on tin foil (or aluminum foil for those that don't remember) with metal fillings in your teeth.
I may have to turn around and sell the ones off the drop unopened. 
frown.gif
  Oh well, maybe Dunu will find a happy medium and call it the DN-3000 (I just felt the DN2000 was just shy of perfection for my listening...I know, YMMV).
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

I'd still open them and try them - you might be surprised.  And I can't see their value dropping too much.  You should still be able to recover most of the massdrop price.

Jun 11, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #653 of 2,123
  I've ordered these from Massdrop.

Does anyone have any info regarding when they will ship?

Can someone confirm that any tips that fit the DN-1000 will also fit the DN-2000J?

Massdrop states June 25 (scroll to the bottom of the description)
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/dunu-dn-2000j-premium-hybrid-earphone/talk

Jun 11, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #655 of 2,123

Please find a way to get me those tips. I'm dying to have them.

Brooko, fantastic review. I have 2 questions:

1) if you take the DN2000J and boost the bass a bit, how does it sound?

2) which genres of music would you say each of the 3 is most suited for?

I've had the DN1000 and loved the bass, but the midrange wasn't clear nor fast. I'm inclined to go with the DN2000J as the latest and greatest, but your post has me thinking the DN2000 might be the sweetspot. I listen mostly to pop, heavy metal, rap etc.

Thanks!

Thanks Brooko. Your comparison is very helpful. Have you heard the 1plus2 with gold/silver? Which Dunu has a similar signature?

One issue I had with the DN1000 is the esssssss sound in female vocals. In that respect which one/ones would be better? I'm inclined to go with the DN2000J, but am not sure if they would have the essssssy problem since they're supposed to be brighter than the DN2000. Is the DN2000J brighter than the DN1000?

Thanks.

Jun 11, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #656 of 2,123

Thanks Brooko. Your comparison is very helpful. Have you heard the 1plus2 with gold/silver? Which Dunu has a similar signature?

One issue I had with the DN1000 is the esssssss sound in female vocals. In that respect which one/ones would be better? I'm inclined to go with the DN2000J, but am not sure if they would have the essssssy problem since they're supposed to be brighter than the DN2000. Is the DN2000J brighter than the DN1000?

Thanks.

Sorry - haven't heard the 1plus2 - but H20Fidelity has, and he has all 3 DUNUs, so you could check with him.

The DN2000J is brighter than the DN1000.

Jun 11, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #657 of 2,123

I'd still open them and try them - you might be surprised.  And I can't see their value dropping too much.  You should still be able to recover most of the massdrop price.

Well, curiosity may get the better of me...
wink_face.gif
  But there are so many wonderful toys to be had soon (X5 Gen II, anyone) and I do like the sound of my DN-2000s.  Maybe Dunu can move the straight DN2000 sound into the smaller enclosures and call them the "DN2001".  If so, I would be there!  It was the smaller enclosure size that made me want to get the DN2000J in the first place while trusting Dunu's sound engineering.  Ah well, maybe next time! 
redface.gif

Cheers and All the Best!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jun 12, 2015 at 5:17 AM Post #660 of 2,123
some my thoughts on DN-2000J. they are really spectacular. Dunu made them less dark then 2000, and closer to neutral. bass driver is faster now. this gives sense of high realism on lows, especailly with drums.

I've listened Metallica's One, and it's incredible. Feels like you're sitting in the first row, and feels the raw power of Ulrich's drum kit, and strikes are realistic. not this crisp and bodyless strikes of armature drivers (I've compared with VSonic Gr01), in DN-2000J you feel that drum kick isn't just kick, but have body (sorry, I don't know, how to describe this correctly, but I hope you know that feeling :) )

mids are still perfect, but with less bass accent of new 2000J, mids feels more detailed and forward.

highs are more linear, so DN-2000J feels more high accented. for those, who afraid of sibilance, it's a bad news, but personally for me, such representation gives more feeling of space and more spacious sound.

of course, they need really good source. from my collection, best performer with them is Cayin N6. new FiioX5-2 is good, but not perfect, and now I know, what DN-2000J CAN DO, so I can't stand with this "good, but not perfect"

for bassheads, there is nice rubber rings option, they close vents, and bass became deeper and more punchy.

in direct comparison, regular DN-2000 sounds darker, and with less details, they are more "tasteful", while DN-2000J is more "audiophiliac". speed, details, scene — that's DN-2000J. now I'm listening "Whiplash" OST in 2000J (great movie, and great OST), and I'm impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back