DUNU DN-2000J -- More Than Evolution?
Jun 12, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #662 of 2,123
DN-2000j arrived today...

Currently listening to Dream Theater Greatest Hits. Impressions right after I finish the album. So far, so good...

Jun 12, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #663 of 2,123
So are those "Spintips" from Japan still the best tips for IEMs?

I find them really hard to find good pairing with sound quality wise. I reckon its because of the irregular shape of the tube. Only worked for the Stagedivers in my experience and its only because the Stagedivers have tiny sound bores.

Jun 12, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #664 of 2,123
After taking about a week off the DN-2000J and forcing myself to listen mostly to warm and thick IEMs, I can see why most people are saying that the DN-2000J sounds thin and somewhat harsh. But I don't think it's all that remarkably sibilant with the right tips, e.g. Comply Ts-500, HiFiMAN thin biflange (not the MEElec biflange, those are harsh), K3003 tips --- it has the TWFK 'tendency' to highlight sibilant areas, but it definitely doesn't sound hot there, like the DN-1000 can be.

At this moment, I'm not completely used to the thinner presentation, but I knew that I was used to it even when I was going back and forth between the UERM, Titan 1, Celsus Gramo One (earbuds), etc. so if you're used to a more analytical, largely neutral sound, the DN-2000J won't sound all that out of the ordinary in terms of brightness. If you're coming from a warm/wooly (often overly smooth IMHO) presentation, your ears may hurt upon hearing the DN-2000J. For example, any long-time Westone user switching to the DN-2000J will have a horrible experience, at least within the first 3-5 days.

Jun 12, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #665 of 2,123
My package arrived...they are unopened. If anyone is interested please let me know. I am based in USA so there is no import,  no waiting,  no possible customs issues and fees. PM me! If not I will probably open them this weekend. 

Jun 12, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #666 of 2,123
Hmm, I was listening to IM02, Flat4 Nami and Ex1000 before so bright, maybe not super analytical (also asg-2.5 so complete opposite as well lol)? Definitely did notice that the 2000J, even coming from those, does sound a tinge thin/metallic with some music.

Agree with Cleg, though, drums sound really great with 2000j.

These Celsus Gramo things look interesting... been meaning to check out some fancy earbuds, only ever used the ones that came with the original Gameboy
confused_face.gif
(well, iPod too).

Jun 12, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #667 of 2,123
After taking about a week off the DN-2000J and forcing myself to listen mostly to warm and thick IEMs, I can see why most people are saying that the DN-2000J sounds thin and somewhat harsh. But I don't think it's all that remarkably sibilant with the right tips, e.g. Comply Ts-500, HiFiMAN thin biflange (not the MEElec biflange, those are harsh), K3003 tips --- it has the TWFK 'tendency' to highlight sibilant areas, but it definitely doesn't sound hot there, like the DN-1000 can be.

Which meelec biflange did you use tomscy? I'm using the m9 large bores and they're the best sounding for me.

Jun 12, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #669 of 2,123
First impression is I'm loving it!

Bass is perfect! Near neutral but on the warm side. Nothing to nitpick that I can easily detect.

Mids is great, only nitpick is that it leans more in favour of female vocal over male. So its a bit cold sounding and analytical reminds me so much of the noble pr pure mode. Then the string and wind instruments, they are presented with emphasis that I just get so much emotion from the music.

Now the treble , I can understand why some may not be able to tolerate the brightness. At loud volume it can be quite fatiguing depending on the harshness of the recording. I listen at low volume and the clarity/detail is amazing. Fortunately I can listen to it just a bit more louder than the noble PR pure mode. Very revealing so any harsh recording will be unpleasant to ones ears.

Tips selection is crucial. Comply tips are effective in keeping the treble in check but I personally dont like their effect on clarity. I find that meelec m9 large bore bi-flanges work very well for me.

I tested them with the greatest hits album of Dream Theater then Earth Wind and Fire. Marvellous I must say. Especially EWF, I haven't heard them this good with any other IEM and that's saying something!

Jun 13, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #673 of 2,123
  Which meelec biflange did you use tomscy? I'm using the m9 large bores and they're the best sounding for me.

Those are the ones I tried. Perhaps it's too much to say that they're unconditionally "harsh", but more harsh than the more traditional biflange tips included with old HiFiMAN earphones.

While I like biflange tips in general, I still prefer to use single flange tips on the DN-2000J because they don't impart a pneumatic vacuum effect. I think the K3003 tips are pretty good with the 2000J, but I don't own a K3003, so I can't use them all the time. So I think I'll try James' method of adding very thin cloth dampers to the stock tips. Currently, I use the Ts-500 most of the time. Since I'm still re-acclimating to the 2000J's sound, I've been using the Tx-500, which does muffle the sound a little, but coming from thick/warm earphones for the past 10 days, I'm not bothered by the (slight) drop in clarity.

Jun 13, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #674 of 2,123
First impression is I'm loving it!

Bass is perfect! Near neutral but on the warm side. Nothing to nitpick that I can easily detect.

Mids is great, only nitpick is that it leans more in favour of female vocal over male. So its a bit cold sounding and analytical reminds me so much of the noble pr pure mode. Then the string and wind instruments, they are presented with emphasis that I just get so much emotion from the music.

Now the treble , I can understand why some may not be able to tolerate the brightness. At loud volume it can be quite fatiguing depending on the harshness of the recording. I listen at low volume and the clarity/detail is amazing. Fortunately I can listen to it just a bit more louder than the noble PR pure mode. Very revealing so any harsh recording will be unpleasant to ones ears.

Tips selection is crucial. Comply tips are effective in keeping the treble in check but I personally dont like their effect on clarity. I find that meelec m9 large bore bi-flanges work very well for me.

I tested them with the greatest hits album of Dream Theater then Earth Wind and Fire. Marvellous I must say. Especially EWF, I haven't heard them this good with any other IEM and that's saying something!

Does the 2000j sound better than the sd2 ? How are the bass compared to the sd2 ?

Jun 13, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #675 of 2,123
While I already published my head-fi review and will still be actively maintaining the first page of this thread as well, I've also published my more extensive review of the DN-2000J here.

Unfortunately, because of time constraints for work and study, my thread participation will be limited to updating links and stuff, at least until late July or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back