Dunu DN-2000 - Hybrid Impressions Thread (It's Here!)
Jun 8, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #631 of 1,320
Thanks for your time reviewing this IEM. Im searching for my first high end universal IEM around 500$.. I listen to a ton of bass centric EDM music.. Im an electronic ambient bass composer and I need an IEM for walking around town / sleep / travel.. My list so far is as follows:

EarSonics SM64                         ($450)        3 BA
InEar StageDiver 3s (SD-3s)    ($600)        3 BA
Dunu DN-2000                           ($315)        2 BA 1 Dynamic
(Sennheiser) iE80                      ($270)        1 Dynamic

You might have noticed the "s" attached to the SD-3... Im really considering getting the stagediver 3 because of its high bass response the only thing that holds me back is the price and its slightly negative comfort ratings.. however.. i heard rumors of a newly designed "small" SD-3 (more compact and therefore more comfortable as it rests in the concha of the outer ear). Only problem is.. Im having trouble tracking it down!! Its supposedly already been released... 

SUMMARY: Do you have any feedback on my list so far? anything standing out considering my background and desire for a bass centric high performance universal IEM around $500? Also have you heard or can you refer me to the newly revised InEar StageDiver 3 "s" (smaller version of the SD-3)? Is the Dunu a better option then the SM64 or the SD-3s? 

Thanks for your time..

Best,

Zenstep

Jun 8, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #632 of 1,320
I have quite a strange relationship with DN-2000, one minute feeling they edge out on my $650 RDB Mini hybrid, then an hour later (different session) magic isn't the same.

Just not feeling consistency, however I think Its user fault rather than the earphone. 

Will I buy one? Well, I've said yes/no a few times, a final answer cannot be summoned. 

I'm using red spacers, and clear oval tips which come with DN -1000, (not sure if DN -2000 has them) they can be seen a page or two back, Colorfly C3.

About the sibilance, while I can hear it the frequency it's peaking doesn't really dig in and 'stab me', it kind of rolls off a touch before effecting me. I've heard IEM that suffered so badly they would almost leave an after thought which made the next tiny bit of sibilance seem more emphasised, Vsonic GR01 was terrible, I couldn't handle that. so I'll let the Dunu slip.

All you can do is try different tips , insertion depths and sources, most importantly try not to let it annoy you.

I've had exactly Dunu DN-2000 + iBasso dx90  and it was the most boring, lifeless sound, which made any song sound like it is a background when I like energy and when song involves me and let me feel it. I've sold both Dunu DN-2000 and ibasso dx90, IMHO both does not worth it's price. I have ordered Fiio x5 and IHIFI 770 for now, did not receive any of these for now so I can't comment on them, let's just wait and see.

idk guys, I still hate my pair. LMka's impressions match my initial impressions against clip+ for DN2k. regardless of tips and spacers.

Overall I don't really like (hate) the Dn2000 tuning: to me, even EQed (50hz, q=2.0, db=2.5) it feels a bit flat ,diffused and somewhat treble upper mids forward and a bit 'flat' in terms of the overall sound and I'm not quite sure how to adequately explain why (-2-3 db for Clip rockbox tone control for treble helps, or maybe 7.5k, -2.5db,-1db, 9.5k, -2.5db -1.5db.)

I find them bland and lifeless (the mids are flat and the highs aren't really anything special compared to Noble 4, and the bass isn't anything special compared to H300 (although it does hit deep and there is quite a bit of it, especially after EQ). Though slightly EQing it does help, I can't seem to resolve the feeling above of 'mmm bland' with EQ). I know it's meant to be tuned relatively neutral and detailed but I just don't feel the excitement in it.

Jun 9, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #635 of 1,320
idk guys, I still hate my pair. LMka's impressions match my initial impressions against clip+ for DN2k. regardless of tips and spacers.
I find them bland and lifeless (the mids are flat and the highs aren't really anything special compared to Noble 4, and the bass isn't anything special compared to H300 (although it does hit deep and there is quite a bit of it, especially after EQ). Though slightly EQing it does help, I can't seem to resolve the feeling above of 'mmm bland' with EQ). I know it's meant to be tuned relatively neutral and detailed but I just don't feel the excitement in it.

I find them rather detailed with the right source, for example > Aune T1 (as DAC) > Schiit Magni. I think the problem is for those seeing past that detail and vocal extension members sensing DN-2000 missing some character or personality, there's an absence and it's partly coming from that balanced low end taking away some atmosphere and lack of colouration throughout the mid-range, it can sound a touch dry at times too.

I think anyone listening with the right source will agree DN-2000 is a generously detailed IEM, but what about those who see past that? Those who cannot make a connection with DN-2000.

The problem for me is:  While I like DN-2000 my DN-1000 paired with Tralucent T1 isn't the leaps and bounds behind it should be, DN-2000 is definitely a touch more detailed though I prefer the timbre, colouration and bass impact of DN-1000 in combination with the amp. I already have IEM that are very detailed like the RDB Mini and to some extent H-300. Not only are they detailed they each have a personality that separates them from one another.

As I said, I'm still not exactly sure where I stand with the new Dunu.

Jun 9, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #637 of 1,320
I really don't know mate, after my last post I paired them with clip zip and like it, I just can't come to a conclusion.

Jun 9, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #638 of 1,320

As I said, I'm still not exactly sure where I stand with the new Dunu.

This might indicate more neutrality 
redface.gif

Just unpacked my dn2k couple hours ago, switching now back and forth between dn2k and dn1k: dn2k sound more intimate, produce more layers and details. dn1k are more boring and flat to my ears. Also bass is better with dn2k, not in terms of impact, but basslines are more clearly rendered. Vocals are better with dn2k, and so all sorts of synthesizers in EDM. Seems dn1k are bit less sensitive, dn2k are noticeably louder on the same volume level. Overall, prefer dn2k by a solid margin. 

Jun 9, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #639 of 1,320
This might indicate more neutrality

I have no idea where you're going with that exactly, but if you'd care to elaborate I can address your comment.

Wait, i think you're trying to create balance within the thread? Firstly, I never said they were bad, there was never any competition between 1000 and 2000 but it appears you're wanting to make it so? I gather you're pairing your 1000s with Tralucent T1 too are you? The amp I specifically pointed out I'm using for the 1000s to come close.

The problem for me is: While I like DN-2000 my DN-1000 paired with Tralucent T1 isn't the leaps and bounds behind it should be, DN-2000 is definitely a touch more detailed though I prefer the timbre, colouration and bass impact of DN-1000 in combination with the amp. I already have IEM that are very detailed like the RDB Mini and to some extent H-300. Not only are they detailed they each have a personality that separates them from one another.

Did you just happen to miss that section and assume I'm 'out to get' DN-2000?

Jun 9, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #640 of 1,320
H20, not sure where that comment came from. I thought axw meant "neutrality" in terms of EQ, but maybe he was referring to opinion bias. Still, his comment was so short and vague that I don't know how you possibly read as much into the comment as you did.

Jun 9, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #641 of 1,320
H20, not sure where that comment came from. I thought axw meant "neutrality" in terms of EQ, but maybe he was referring to opinion bias. Still, his comment was so short and vague that I don't know how you possibly read as much into the comment as you did.

I'm on my iPod using the mobile version. so I'm not in my comfort zone, I just don't want the member thinking I'm being bias towards DN-1000. I like them both but like said, my problem lies in the $300 outlay not justifying the upgrade gap,(with the amp) whereas that member came across to me as shooting down my opinion.

Uncle H20 sees some crazy things......

Jun 9, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #642 of 1,320
Ok, his opinion came across to me as more of his own, like there was a complete wall of separation between the neutrality comment and the rest of his post. But it wouldn't be the first time I missed some deeper meaning.

I'm expecting my 2Ks to come in this week. I just hope they sound better than my $100 Sony Fontopias from 2001. To me, they're the best sounding headphones I've ever heard (with the treble jacked up like a diagonal ramp). Tight bass that satisfying and doesn't bleed, good isolation, and overall balanced sound are what I like about them. They sound like near perfection to me, but I'm hoping that they're actually garbage and the 2Ks open me up to a world I never knew existed.

Jun 9, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #643 of 1,320
Ok, his opinion came across to me as more of his own, like there was a complete wall of separation between the neutrality comment and the rest of his post. But it wouldn't be the first time I missed some deeper meaning.

I thought that at first too, his comments we're separated , then I read into it deeply with my internet instinct and started loading up some hand grenades. If he passes through the trip wire boobie traps I laid out the front we'll find out, if he returns.

I'm expecting my 2Ks to come in this week. I just hope they sound better than my $100 Sony Fontopias from 2001. To me, they're the best sounding headphones I've ever heard (with the treble jacked up like a diagonal ramp). Tight bass that satisfying and doesn't bleed, good isolation, and overall balanced sound are what I like about them. They sound like near perfection to me, but I'm hoping that they're actually garbage and the 2Ks open me up to a world I never knew existed.

They should be a nice upgrade fear not. Much of what I and some members are saying is just stripping the iem down to it's bare undies.

Jun 9, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #644 of 1,320
I have no idea where you're going with that exactly, but if you'd care to elaborate I can address your comment.

Wait, i think you're trying to create balance within the thread? Firstly, I never said they were bad, there was never any competition between 1000 and 2000 but it appears you're wanting to make it so? I gather you're pairing your 1000s with Tralucent T1 too are you? The amp I specifically pointed out I'm using for the 1000s to come close.
Did you just happen to miss that section and assume I'm 'out to get' DN-2000?

Wow, why not relax a bit. Sorry if you felt offended (by which part of my writeup exactly??). I happened to read your comment in the middle of fiddling between dn1k and dn2k, and I think I got what you mean by not knowing where to start with the dn2k. More neutral means sometimes less to tell about specific aspects of signature. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back