Dunu DN-1000 - Dunu's hybrid IEM - Impressions thread
Mar 13, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #2,401 of 2,536
  I don't mind if it's just north of neutral, I just won't like it if it's too emphasized compared to the mids and treble.

And are the mids neutral, recessed or upfront?

Also, is the treble harsh?

I don't thik the treble is harsh at all. It's refined and polite for the price. Mids are neutral. Bass has the right quantity, not overpowering.

Mar 13, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #2,404 of 2,536
Wow...fatiguing??? Not for me...I'm with my second pair...haven't heard the FLCs, but I quite enjoy the 1000s...

Mar 13, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #2,406 of 2,536
Not fatiguing for me. The treble is not too hot, just the right quantity, thats why I wouldn't say they're exactly v-shaped. Bass quantity is clearly north of neutral though, but does not bleed into the upper region. Separation is excelent for the price and I used to love those mids before listening to DN-2000J and especially FLC8S.

Mar 14, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #2,407 of 2,536
So, in your mind, it is not a particularly v-shaped sound? Just curious what your thoughts are on that. Thanks.

The DN1K is a V shaped iem.  No doubt about it.  Both the bass and treble are slightly emphasized.  I certainly wouldn't say either are out of whack or too over the top, so unless you just despise V shaped, you'll be happy w/ them.

Mar 30, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #2,408 of 2,536
I've just ordered these headphones. I'm in a country that doesn't allow anything like shipping back to getting them fixed, or whatever.

Also, I have no way of trying them on before purchasing. So I always have to trust the internet when I'm ordering headphones.

Wish me luck! I'll come back with my impressions.

Mar 31, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #2,409 of 2,536

The DN1K is a V shaped iem.  No doubt about it.  Both the bass and treble are slightly emphasized.  I certainly wouldn't say either are out of whack or too over the top, so unless you just despise V shaped, you'll be happy w/ them.

it is vshaped with mids that isnt representative of that

Apr 8, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #2,410 of 2,536
First impressions of these headphones:

- The sound quality is quite good. Nothing is too overpowering. It has a little bit more trebles than the EPH-100, but a bit less bass quantity too. I like the balance.
- When you first put on them on, I could notice that they're very comfortable to wear, which I like. I was able to find a good fit for my ears with the eartips that came on them.

The only con: After a few minutes of listening, my ears hurt a little bit. This might be due to the weight.

When I have the headphones in my hands, you can tell they're a bit heavier than your average IEMs, but you don't feel it when you first put them on.
The pain starts a few minutes after I've been wearing them.

I'll come back in a few days to see how the pain improves, if it does.

I think no matter how good they sound, if I can't be wearing them for a long time (which is something the EPH-100 KICKS ASS ON), then I'm not sure I want them.

I'll keep using them to see what happens.

Apr 13, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #2,412 of 2,536
you can 

When I have the headphones in my hands, you can tell they're a bit heavier than your average IEMs, but you don't feel it when you first put them on.
The pain starts a few minutes after I've been wearing them.

you can try to use the spacer rings to position them differently in your ears, but the sound quality will change ....

these are my newest pair of earphones , paid the equivalent of US$243 for them (wish i had checked the price online before i put down the cash at the shop :frowning2: ) ... while i was in the shop i had the opportunity to directly compare them with the demo ATH IM-70 they had... i thought those earphones sounded nice, but the D1000 had this edge in clarity at the higher frequencies and it made the IM-70 sound bland by comparison ... then again its also US$50 more expensive ...
after a few hours of listening, i can tell how some people might find it fatiguing ... the more music that i put through these, the more that the initial clarity gives way to sibilance ... switching to Comply foams helps a little bit , but as a reviewer said, the treble is 'splashy' due to the Knowles TWFK balanced armature driver
i think i ought to try out the different spacer rings to see if they change the quality and experience 

Apr 13, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #2,413 of 2,536
wow, they really do ... im using a single red spacer on each side, and it sounds different...the treble is mellowed out (just like the included 'how to use the DNK ring' card suggested) and its not the main thing i notice anymore...  trying on these spacers is almost like trying different IEM's , but the bass stays the same, the thicker the spacer, the darker the sound ... not to mention, the spacer also moves the IEM clear of the pinna of my ear, such that the 'lip' at the back edge of the case is no longer digging into the antihelix, and it is much more comfortable now
the only trouble is the repeated removal and reattachment of the tips might cause them to loosen 

Apr 13, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #2,414 of 2,536
  wow, they really do ... im using a single red spacer on each side, and it sounds different...the treble is mellowed out (just like the included 'how to use the DNK ring' card suggested) and its not the main thing i notice anymore...  trying on these spacers is almost like trying different IEM's , but the bass stays the same, the thicker the spacer, the darker the sound ... not to mention, the spacer also moves the IEM clear of the pinna of my ear, such that the 'lip' at the back edge of the case is no longer digging into the antihelix, and it is much more comfortable now
the only trouble is the repeated removal and reattachment of the tips might cause them to loosen 

definitely the fitting

Apr 13, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #2,415 of 2,536

i have found this graph from a DN-2000J review on head-fi , and it seems that the DN-1000 is the bassiest of the series... but i wonder if the un-evenness of the high frequency response is a contributing factor to the fatigue that some people are experiencing , the person who made this graph said that he has smoothed it out so there could be some very sharp peaks which you cannot see from the graph

Users who are viewing this thread

Back