Dunu DN-1000 - Dunu's hybrid IEM - Impressions thread
Feb 3, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #1,876 of 2,536
  I am not sure if this has been discussed already, but is there a way to order the stock eartips that came with the DN1K's? I really like the foam tips but recently all of them have started to tear away (I use them a lot). The white silicon tips also has become wider and now simply goes over the spacers, making them useless. 

Have you tried Comply tips? For me they were much more comfortable than the stock foams. There are also many silicone tips that fit the DNK well, like JVC, Auvio and MEElectronics. I prefer them to the stock Dunu tips because the silicone is softer and sticks better to your skin, creating a seal more easily. 

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #1,878 of 2,536
Thanks a lot for the response guys. I will try and contact DUNU. I will also try the comply tips but they tend to be expensive. Anyone has tried the spinfit tips with the Dunu's? They seem to be quite well regarded around here. 

Feb 4, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #1,879 of 2,536
are B&W P7 worth picking up if you are using DUNU 1000? what are the pros/cons in sound quality? I don't care about portability

I can get a new P7 for $255

Feb 7, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #1,880 of 2,536
  Thank you for the comparison. I look forward to your more detailed comparison vs the DUNU if you are intending to do one. Wanting to go from budget IEM to mid-fi along with a better fit but don't really want to lose that bass slam. It has grown on me.

Cheers.

Finally got the warranty replaced DNK back. Did a quick listen to check if they work before I post them for sale and that gave me a chance to A/B them with the W30.

Bass of the DNK is definitely more powerful, especially in sub-bass region. There is a strong rumble that is not as prominent with the W30. I'd say slam and midbass is similar between the two but the Westone's is slightly more textured and detailed. The Dunu sounds warmer, even though is's v-shaped. For mids and highs the W30 takes the cake, especially in the highs. While the Dunu is has a near-sibilant peak at 8-9kHz, the Westone is smooth and more transparent. The Dunu is a bit easier to drive - about 80% of the volume on my X1 needed to achieve the same loudness level as the Westone.

I'd say if you like genres like dubstep, hiphop, house, trance, where the bass rumble is more important than treble detail, go with the DNK. For guitars, metal, vocals, rock, classical, jazz I would stick with the W30. Obviously the W30 costs twice as much as the DNK so for most people I'd say the DNK is the better choice, especially if you're not sensitive to sibilance.

The W30 grew on me faster than any IEM I've tried to date, not only because of the sound, but also the comfort and the detachable cables. So even though I will somewhat miss the lows of my DNK I am selling them here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/754081/fs-dunu-dn1000-brand-new-warranty-replaced-a-ton-of-extra-tips

Feb 7, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #1,881 of 2,536
  Finally got the warranty replaced DNK back. Did a quick listen to check if they work before I post them for sale and that gave me a chance to A/B them with the W30.

Bass of the DNK is definitely more powerful, especially in sub-bass region. There is a strong rumble that is not as prominent with the W30. I'd say slam and midbass is similar between the two but the Westone's is slightly more textured and detailed. The Dunu sounds warmer, even though is's v-shaped. For mids and highs the W30 takes the cake, especially in the highs. While the Dunu is has a near-sibilant peak at 8-9kHz, the Westone is smooth and more transparent. The Dunu is a bit easier to drive - about 80% of the volume on my X1 needed to achieve the same loudness level as the Westone.

I'd say if you like genres like dubstep, hiphop, house, trance, where the bass rumble is more important than treble detail, go with the DNK. For guitars, metal, vocals, rock, classical, jazz I would stick with the W30. Obviously the W30 costs twice as much as the DNK so for most people I'd say the DNK is the better choice, especially if you're not sensitive to sibilance.

The W30 grew on me faster than any IEM I've tried to date, not only because of the sound, but also the comfort and the detachable cables. So even though I will somewhat miss the lows of my DNK I am selling them here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/754081/fs-dunu-dn1000-brand-new-warranty-replaced-a-ton-of-extra-tips

Many thanks. Great comparison. I've just sold off a lot of my gear and have downsized to an X3 with the DN-1000's and NAD HP50's and will just be keeping it at that for the foreseeable future.

Appreciate you getting back to me re the comparison. Cheers.

Feb 14, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #1,889 of 2,536
I'm using JVC fxd mediums and they make the sound perfect for my ears. With the original tips, even the comply ones, some of my songs had rather unpleasant spikes in the higher regions. The JVCs fix all that without noticeable loss in clarity, plus they are really comfy. I can feel no pain or discomfort no matter how long I use my IEM, unless I put them really deep.

Just a question. How do you guys clean the "grills" from ear wax, dust and other stuff? It's not a problem at the moment, but I'm afraid they may get covered in all that over time making the sound muffled and silent. They seem to be non-removable..

Feb 14, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #1,890 of 2,536
  I'm using JVC fxd mediums and they make the sound perfect for my ears. With the original tips, even the comply ones, some of my songs had rather unpleasant spikes in the higher regions. The JVCs fix all that without noticeable loss in clarity, plus they are really comfy. I can feel no pain or discomfort no matter how long I use my IEM, unless I put them really deep.

Just a question. How do you guys clean the "grills" from ear wax, dust and other stuff? It's not a problem at the moment, but I'm afraid they may get covered in all that over time making the sound muffled and silent. They seem to be non-removable..

There was a post a while back that suggested dipping the grills (JUST THE GRILLS PART) in some alcohol and after it dissolves the earwax just dry it out. Haven't tried it myself yet but it makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back