Dunu DN-1000 - Dunu's hybrid IEM - Impressions thread
Jan 24, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #691 of 2,536

What do you mind by fun? Flat = neutral right? Sorry for the silly noobish question.
biggrin.gif
Still have a lot to learn about these audio stuffs. When is the DN-2000 coming out?

Yep, exactly that.

Fun generally is a 'balanced' sound, could be an extreme U or V, or like DN-1000's case, a slight U shape sound

Flat is heading towards neutrality range

I think the scheduled release date for DN-2000 is sometimes in March if I am not mistaken

Jan 25, 2014 at 5:22 AM Post #692 of 2,536

beerchug.gif

3X is technically better and more proficient then Dunu IMHO, though Dunu holds its own on some certain criteria, anyone who doesn't care of that and just want a pure unadulterated fun listening session, head bobbing and foot tapping, head straight to Dunu, you won't be dissapointed for sure...

I personally wear them over ear, and I think it is more comfortable that way

I think you're right 3X is technically advanced though I'm not finding it as good an all rounder.

There's a few little hiccups I'm finding from 3X which aren't present in the Dunu, such as the vocal sibilance I've mentioned, 3X is close to being a great hybrid however I'm not sure if it's the tubes coming from the balanced armatures or tuning letting it down. 3X is superior in separation also to my ears soundstage width but as a down side there's that peak somewhere in the lower treble to upper mid range which makes it sound a little tin can like and the sibilance mentioned where as the Dunu is buttery smooth in that area.

So to me while DN-1000 might be a little less advanced (not by leaps and bounds mind you to these ears) it doesn't really have a glaring flaw in my eyes, which makes a non distractive listening experience, nothing stands out or jumps out as a negative to me. With the 3X those problems do and I keep hearing them, unfortunately.  At this point in time if you put both in front me and said choose one forever I would as your friend stated take the Dunu. 

I think in itself that I'm even able to compare DN-1000 and Unique Melody 3X and find them closely comparable considering their price difference is an achievement from Dunu in itself. Something like GR07 or TF10 which sell for around the same price I can instantly say UM 3X is superior but with the Dunu they're much closer to being in the same field.

I found an interesting post regarding someone with Unique Melody Miracle  last night and how they prefer their ER4S.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/538615/if-you-still-love-etymotic-er4-this-is-the-thread-for-you/3705#post_10198336

The ER4S is indeed very good as I own one. And I'm finding a similar thing here between these two hybrids. 

Jan 25, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #693 of 2,536

I think you're right 3X is technically advanced though I'm not finding it as good an all rounder.

There's a few little hiccups I'm finding from 3X which aren't present in the Dunu, such as the vocal sibilance I've mentioned, 3X is close to being a great hybrid however I'm not sure if it's the tubes coming from the balanced armatures or tuning letting it down. 3X is superior in separation also to my ears soundstage width but as a down side there's that peak somewhere in the lower treble to upper mid range which makes it sound a little tin can like and the sibilance mentioned where as the Dunu is buttery smooth in that area.

So to me while DN-1000 might be a little less advanced (not by leaps and bounds mind you to these ears) it doesn't really have a glaring flaw in my eyes, which makes a non distractive listening experience, nothing stands out or jumps out as a negative to me. With the 3X those problems do and I keep hearing them, unfortunately.  At this point in time if you put both in front me and said choose one forever I would as your friend stated take the Dunu. 

I think in itself that I'm even able to compare DN-1000 and Unique Melody 3X and find them closely comparable considering their price difference is an achievement from Dunu in itself. Something like GR07 or TF10 which sell for around the same price I can instantly say UM 3X is superior but with the Dunu they're much closer to being in the same field.

I found an interesting post regarding someone with Unique Melody Miracle  last night and how they prefer their ER4S.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/538615/if-you-still-love-etymotic-er4-this-is-the-thread-for-you/3705#post_10198336

The ER4S is indeed very good as I own one. And I'm finding a similar thing here between these two hybrids. 

Man, I have to get my hands on an ER4S sometime. 

Jan 25, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #694 of 2,536

Man, I have to get my hands on an ER4S sometime. 

ER4S is one of those IEM that keep coming back to surprise you time and time again, no matter what gear you own.

Like an old wise man, who hit all the right buttons long ago and simply stayed that way frozen in time. :p

The Dunu sounds a little coloured compared and bass heavy.

Jan 25, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #695 of 2,536

There you go folks...those of you who are still 50/50, or are still "...ummm, I don't know..." or "...not sure if I should buy this, or wait for DN-2000..." - you no longer have anything to be afraid of, Uncle H20 has spoken, those of you who are not familiar with Unique Melody 3X, it is a triple hybrid, same configuration as DN-1000, and its price is around $400 compared to $200 DN-1000

I was the other person who has compared both side by side, beside H20, thus my comment in my previous post "anyone who doesn't care of that and just want a pure unadulterated fun listening session, head bobbing and foot tapping, head straight to Dunu, you won't be dissapointed for sure..."

beerchug.gif

Jan 25, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #696 of 2,536
New here, and fairly new to iems (main listening HD800).  Have had my DN-1000s less than a week.  Bought them before reading this thread, based on Third-Eye's comment while researching R4 vs SE525.  Dunus are great for my purposes, much better than the SE215, and they are sounding better each day.

I have been following the SE846 threads but makes no sense for my purposes,  Those guys play in a different league -  multiple iems at $1k and more.

My questions.  Do the silicone eartips ever need replacing?  And if so, what is a source?

Jan 25, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #697 of 2,536
Jan 25, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #698 of 2,536
ER4S is one of those IEM that keep coming back to surprise you time and time again, no matter what gear you own.

Like an old wise man, who hit all the right buttons long ago and simply stayed that way frozen in time. :p

The thing I'm concerned about is that the Etymotics will be bass light. I heard that they had even less than TWFKs.

Jan 25, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #699 of 2,536
Has anyone A-B this directly with the Klipsch x10 or x01i?  Curious about how they both compare in terms of sound both amped and unamped.

The Klipsch x10 are incredibly lightweight (featherweight really) and isolates quite well.  I use it on my intercontinental flights with excellent results. I expect the Dn1k to be much heavier and less comfortable but perhaps it may sound a lot better.  ANd does it the DN1K isolate as well?

Thanks,
UL

Jan 25, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #700 of 2,536

I'm listening to the ER4S's baby brother right now, the HF5. Its been so long since I listened to classical, I forgot just how accurate these are. The only complaint I've had is these are quote uncomfortable tip-wise, so I'm debating how I want to handle that.

Jan 25, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #701 of 2,536
  New here, and fairly new to iems (main listening HD800).  Have had my DN-1000s less than a week.  Bought them before reading this thread, based on Third-Eye's comment while researching R4 vs SE525.  Dunus are great for my purposes, much better than the SE215, and they are sounding better each day.

I have been following the SE846 threads but makes no sense for my purposes,  Those guys play in a different league -  multiple iems at $1k and more.

My questions.  Do the silicone eartips ever need replacing?  And if so, what is a source?

No, silicon tips don't need replacing, not for many many years anyway. Simply wash them once every week under some cold water.

Keep in mind the tuning rings on DN-1000 are very small and can slide off easily, keep a close eye on them at all times.

wow, you have T1 now?
wink.gif

It's actually the same T1 amp, however when plugged into direct line out from Stoner Acoustics UD110 v2 it behaves rather differently. It actually sounds really good in this configuration. :p We're not sure if it's because of the constant voltage from USB port or simply synergy related. Sounds like a different amp and we've been discussing why in a group msg.

The thing I'm concerned about is that the Etymotics will be bass light. I heard that they had even less than TWFKs.

To give you a rough idea ER4S probably have a similar bass quantity as DBA-02 (B2) with a correct seal.

Has anyone A-B this directly with the Klipsch x10 or x01i?  Curious about how they both compare in terms of sound both amped and unamped.

The Klipsch x10 are incredibly lightweight (featherweight really) and isolates quite well.  I use it on my intercontinental flights with excellent results. I expect the Dn1k to be much heavier and less comfortable but perhaps it may sound a lot better.  ANd does it the DN1K isolate as well?

Thanks,
UL

The sound will be a lot better than X10 which I have owned twice, but the weight will also be a lot more than those feather weights. The comfort is still very nice.

I wear them down personally. Isolation is nothing to rave about, remembering it's highly tip dependent subject more so than the housing design in my opinion.

I'm listening to the ER4S's baby brother right now, the HF5. Its been so long since I listened to classical, I forgot just how accurate these are. The only complaint I've had is these are quote uncomfortable tip-wise, so I'm debating how I want to handle that.

beerchug.gif

Jan 25, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #702 of 2,536
Thanks H20. 

BTW, eveyone who likes the DN-1000 should definitely give the AX35 a go. Not as much bass, but their sound sigs are quite similar. For $80 this is an absolutely steal and I honestly thing this bests the DN-900, MA750 and GR07. Review will be up soon. 

Jan 25, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #703 of 2,536
  Thanks H20. 

BTW, eveyone who likes the DN-1000 should definitely give the AX35 a go. Not as much bass, but their sound sigs are quite similar. For $80 this is an absolutely steal and I honestly thing this bests the DN-900, MA750 and GR07. Review will be up soon. 

I feel a mini tour is in order. 
smile.gif

I'm always looking for that perfect 'on the go' IEM as I won't take out my more expensive gear.

Jan 25, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #704 of 2,536

I feel a mini tour is in order. 
smile.gif

I'm always looking for that perfect 'on the go' IEM as I won't take out my more expensive gear.

I would arrange one with my pair but I'm pretty sure Billy and Charles will arrange one with both the AX35 and the AX30 which I have yet to hear. 

Not sure if you should get your hopes up about on the go though. These isolate pretty badly. 

Jan 25, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #705 of 2,536
This is a long shot, but in the same vein of comparing the Unique Melody X3, has anyone compared the DN-1000 to the Earsonics SM64? I realize it would be comparing dynamic to BA but I'm just curious. I have the Westone 4R but have always wanted to try the SM64 due to good reviews and many of them besting the 4R. However, I'm always looking for a good deal and the DN-1000 sounds like a good buy/complement to the 4r. To give an idea of my taste in sound signature, I also have the GR07 BE but find the 4R to be more euphonic and engaging to my ears. The GR07 is very balanced, warm and sweet but somewhat lifeless compared to the 4R. So, does anyone have any thoughts on the SM64?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back