Dunu DN-1000 - Dunu's hybrid IEM - Impressions thread
Dec 3, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #2,282 of 2,536
Hey Guys,

I recently got my father these Wonderful Dunu 1000s.
Together with a Fiio E10k.

What can I say

This is one wonderful combo.
Tested i just for 1 hour or so but for the price these are really good Iem.

I own a pair Sennheiser Ie800 myself so i compared them with the Dunus.

Sure the Sennheiser are better in every discipline. But not far away!

Greetings Flo

Dec 3, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #2,283 of 2,536
What happens if the problem with the cable is in the housing?

Superflix, you certainly have made your father happy. I'd be wrapped if anyone bought these for me....Not too far from the IE800 aye...These things, bang for buck, are sure hard to beat....:)

Dec 3, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #2,284 of 2,536
How did you work out the (+ / -) polarity of the wires from the housings?

Simple, (luckily) both the wires from dunu and the cable i bought had the same polarity colour coding. i.e red/gold for right and green(or blue)/gold for the left. All i had to do was to solder the similar coloured wires together 
biggrin.gif
. Even if the colour coding is different, as a rule of thumb the golden wire is of -ve polarity 90% of the time (well i think we shouldn't be talking about polarities since speakers works on AC signal and not DC). That's why it doesn't matter if the polarity  gets interchanged within the earpiece as long as you don't mix the left earpiece wire with the right one. The best way to do this is to cut the left earpiece cable first, attach the new cable and then go about cutting the right earpiece cable. If you are going to do it, just let me know. I'd be Happy to guide. :)

Dec 3, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #2,285 of 2,536
  What happens if the problem with the cable is in the housing?

Superflix, you certainly have made your father happy. I'd be wrapped if anyone bought these for me....Not too far from the IE800 aye...These things, bang for buck, are sure hard to beat....:)

In that case, you are in a fix buddy. Its very difficult to open the earpiece shell in Dn1k without the right tools. I for one, failed to do so. So i decided to go along with replacing the wire from strain relief.

Dec 4, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #2,286 of 2,536
Good Morning!

Yeah.
He is really happy about his new In Ears =)

I got my Ie800 used for only 130 bucks... So i cant complain either
But i searched almost for half a month

When im currently listening to my Fisher Audio Silver Bullets.
For the Price these are also superb Headphones. They have something, everything sounds good on them. (The ie800 not, they are too honest sometimes)

Dec 5, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #2,287 of 2,536
Good Morning!

Yeah.
He is really happy about his new In Ears =)

I got my Ie800 used for only 130 bucks... So i cant complain either
But i searched almost for half a month

When im currently listening to my Fisher Audio Silver Bullets.
For the Price these are also superb Headphones. They have something, everything sounds good on them. (The ie800 not, they are too honest sometimes)

The 1000's are indeed one of a kind for the price, and yes, they are not too far from IE800, but when you hear DN-2000J, you no longer want to know about the DN-1000's. These beat IE800 in my opinion and still cost almost half the price.

Dec 6, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #2,291 of 2,536
I've been looking for a good pair of portables to complement my ATH-EM9d (which are nice, but they provide no isolation and they lack bass, which meant they aren't suitable for many genres or movie-watching). Ideally I wanted something I can travel with that would isolate the cabin noise on trains and airplanes. I already own several full-sized cans and have never enjoyed dragging those around when I travel, so I started looking into IEMs.

After reading an extensive number of reviews, I narrowed down my choices to the Xiaomi Piston 3, Yamaha EPH-100, and the Dunu DN-1000 (I know they each belong to very different price tiers, but I wanted to know how big the differences are in sound quality before deciding how much I actually want to spend, heh).

Well, the Xiaomi Piston 3 hasn't arrived yet so I can't offer a comparison, but between the Yamaha EPH-100 and the Dunu DN-1000, the Dunu easily won by a huge margin (sorry Yamaha, looks like I'll be returning you...) Below are my impressions.

Accessories, Craftsmanship, & Comfort
Dunu threw in just about everything except the kitchen sink - frankly given the sound quality at the price I got it at ($160 brand new from Amazon), I would have been happy with half of the included accessories. There are eartips of all shapes and sizes, an accessory pouch, a hard carrying case, and two adapters (one for airline, which is perfect for what I need).

Craftsmanship on the Dunu appears to be excellent - the entire housing is metal and seems to be very solidly constructed. I did wish the cable were user-replaceable mainly because the housing seem difficult to disassemble and if anything goes wrong with the cable, I won't know what to do. But other than that, can't complain.

Comfort-wise, I found the foam tips to provide the best long-term comfort as well as the best seal. The housing is quite large and heavy for an IEM, and I found all the silicone tips to require the use of spacers to provide proper seal and comfort (and even then they don't seal as well, or are as comfortable, as the foam tips). The best silicone tip combination I found was the use of blue or red spacers coupled with the wide-bore single-flange (semi-transparent) black silicone tips.

Sound Quality
Just absolutely breathtaking! These are the first BA-based IEM's I have tried, and I was just blown away by the detail and clarity present in the treble and mid-range. I had read some reviews saying that the BA drivers made the treble brittle and unpleasant, but I didn't find this to be the case. At least based on the materials I listen to, I didn't find the treble to be harsh or sibilant. There's just the right amount of sparkle without being offensive.

The bass is thunderous and goes down really deep, which is definitely a trait I like (I love sub-bass over mid-bass, as I am used to the AKG K550/K553). That said, there's just a little bit too much of it sometimes and I feel the bass could be a bit tighter (the K553 is about how I like my bass, and I do feel the bass is tighter on that). The texture of the bass on the DN-1000 is fairly fluid and dynamic, which is in stark contrast to the fast and crystalline texture of its BA-based mids and treble. The effect is most comparable to listening to speakers that have separate tweeter & subwoofer units, that's the best way I can describe it. It takes some getting used to, as I have never heard this quality in a headphone before.

This may be less of an issue when I am traveling, though, since as a general rule bass needs to be enhanced when there's background noise. I have a feeling I'll find the sound signature of the DN-1000 to be just perfect when I am on a train or airplane.

All in all, very happy with my purchase and looking forward to updating my impressions with further listening. :)

Dec 6, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #2,292 of 2,536
Hi Bagheera. I would suggest that you cover the venting hole above the nozzle with adhesive tape for twice as much bass/sub-bass without affecting the rest of the frequency spectrum by much. It's like using the bass rings in the DN-2000J. Same thing. We just don't have bass rings here, but the tape does the job.

Dec 7, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #2,295 of 2,536
  I've tried a lot of combinations, but these keep giving me ear pain after months of trying. what should i do? any recommended combinations?

Change your earphones to something which fit a little better.  Unfortunately it's the most obvious solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back