Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison! (Rectifer Tube Rolling thread)
May 21, 2024 at 10:32 PM Post #2,686 of 2,759
It never hurts to try one out for a small investment as long as you’re comfortable with the spend. I’ve done this in the past just to get a listen to something someone has recommended without having to hunt down a higher priced example.
The thing to be weary of (as always) are the test results provided by some sellers. I’ve had a couple of cases where I was told a rectifier “tested good” only to end up with thing putting on a big light show minutes into the first listen (see below- I took this just before yanking the tube).

IMG_0591.jpeg
... Run, Chernobyl Again !! 😲 ...

May 21, 2024 at 10:40 PM Post #2,687 of 2,759
Weak rectifiers Will affect the sound negatively. You aren’t going to know what rectifier sounds like if it isn’t in decent condition.

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 7:38 AM Post #2,688 of 2,759
It never hurts to try one out for a small investment as long as you’re comfortable with the spend. I’ve done this in the past just to get a listen to something someone has recommended without having to hunt down a higher priced example.
The thing to be weary of (as always) are the test results provided by some sellers. I’ve had a couple of cases where I was told a rectifier “tested good” only to end up with thing putting on a big light show minutes into the first listen (see below- I took this just before yanking the tube).

This can happen to any tubes NOS or not. I know!

May 22, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #2,689 of 2,759
My 300B amp uses 5Z3P rectifier stock. I'm rolling 5U4G right now without issue. Should I assume the older 4 pin 5Z3 will also work too as long as I use the necessary 4 pin to octal socket adapter? Both 5U4G and 5Z3 have identical max operation numbers. Thanks.

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 5:13 PM Post #2,690 of 2,759
My 300B amp uses 5Z3P rectifier stock. I'm rolling 5U4G right now without issue. Should I assume the older 4 pin 5Z3 will also work too as long as I use the necessary 4 pin to octal socket adapter? Both 5U4G and 5Z3 have identical max operation numbers. Thanks.
Yes, looks like the correct adapter would put you in business. The 5Z3P is a chinese 5U4G and the 5Z3 is electrically equivalent to it.

May 22, 2024 at 7:31 PM Post #2,691 of 2,759
Weak rectifiers Will affect the sound negatively. You aren’t going to know what rectifier sounds like if it isn’t in decent condition.
A good quality rectifier helps with the longevity of amplifier components as well. You just have to think of a rectifier like a good power supply. Why cheap out on that? Not only that the performance of your signal and power tubes improve right down to a molecular level with the help and dependability of a good rectifier. This is why a rectifier can change the quality of sound in a tube amplifier, especially when you are using all good components. ☺️

May 22, 2024 at 7:35 PM Post #2,692 of 2,759
IMG_6111.jpeg

An example of a rectifier or tube in general with an air leak, which causes the getter blast to become white. Makes for a nice light show though. Ummmm violet. Lol.

May 22, 2024 at 8:54 PM Post #2,693 of 2,759
IMG_6111.jpeg
An example of a rectifier or tube in general with an air leak, which causes the getter blast to become white. Makes for a nice light show though. Ummmm violet. Lol.
Funny- the pic I posted above of the rectifier in meltdown was also a Ken-Rad!

May 23, 2024 at 3:06 PM Post #2,696 of 2,759
Funny- the pic I posted above of the rectifier in meltdown was also a Ken-Rad!
Yeah it was a 1950’s KenRad. Bought it off some guy on E-bay for 35$. I knew it was too good to be true. Lol lesson learned.
I did get my money back though.

May 23, 2024 at 6:43 PM Post #2,698 of 2,759
Is there any vintage 5U4G / 5Z3 that can rival the transparency and resolution of new production Genelex GZ34? The "see through" soundstage is highly addictive.
I didn't think the new Genelex GZ34 was all that great sounding. It seemed rather flat sounding from recollection. I actually preferred the EH 5U4G that came with my amp. That being said, the GEC U52/5U4G I'm using is better than both of them -- more transparent, more dimensional, more open, more vibrant

May 23, 2024 at 7:25 PM Post #2,699 of 2,759
'New Old Stock' Mullard GZ34 (low voltage drop) rectifier tubes -- 'strong' testing on properly calibrated tube testers -- are 🧑‍🍳💋 .

May 23, 2024 at 7:31 PM Post #2,700 of 2,759
Is there any vintage 5U4G / 5Z3 that can rival the transparency and resolution of new production Genelex GZ34? The "see through" soundstage is highly addictive.

Have you read Dubstep Girl's review of rectifiers at the beginning of this thread?

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dub...mparison-rectifer-tube-rolling-thread.694525/

This will give you some idea about how some of the old 5U4 / 5Z3 tubes sound. That said, she didn't compare the Genelex GZ34.

(And I have never heard the Genelex, so can't say anything either.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back