Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison! (Rectifer Tube Rolling thread)
Feb 1, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #991 of 2,672

Standard Telephones and Cables Ltd. 1883 Western Electric opened office in London and this developed... bought by ITT in 1925 I think but carried on using the WE tech. Eventually became 'Brimar' with factorries at Footscray, Paighton, Rochester, Crewkerne, Harlow and Oldbury (and might also have been Lorentz, Germany). Eventually sold to Thorn EMI I think....If you want a UK 300B look for the STC 4300B :) Good UK firm and big military supplier but the STC name used extensive throughout.

edit: I hope my stuff agrees with above! Glass of wine...

Interesting. Thanks guys.

Feb 1, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #993 of 2,672
One could regard Brimar as STC's tube division for the consumer market, although Brimar made receiving tubes for other markets, including lots of CV types. STC itself made the big stuff, but also some receiving tubes. STC sold Brimar to Thorn in 1960. In 1961 Thorn merged their tube interests, including CRTs, with those of AEI forming Thorn-AEI.

Brimar's home location was the STC site in Footscray. Under Thorn-AEI the site in Rochester became Brimar's main site while Footscray remained an STC site. The STC Paignton sites ("Paignton" and "Oldway" tube manufacturing sites) were unaffected. These were not Brimar locations.

Feb 4, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #994 of 2,672
Hi,

This is James from Langrex, thank you for all the positive posts on these tubes, we have had 5Z4G's in our stock since the early 80's.
They were bought directly from the Government. The 5Z4GY and 5Z4G AD or FE tubes we have in stock are identical, the Y was added to the part number for a later military contract. We also have a large stock of the earlier 5Z4G tubes in earlier brown military style boxes by STC, these may also be worth a try, I will add these to Ebay and post a picture of these later today.
Stock levels are depleting, there is a lot of interest from the Far east and we are presently preparing an order for 1000 of these tubes for one customer.

Thank you again for your positive posts and we hope you enjoy your tubes.
Feel free to email me with any questions. jamesatlangrex@aol.com 

Best regards

James
Langrex

Feb 4, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #995 of 2,672
Hi,

This is James from Langrex, thank you for all the positive posts on these tubes, we have had 5Z4G's in our stock since the early 80's.
They were bought directly from the Government. The 5Z4GY and 5Z4G AD or FE tubes we have in stock are identical, the Y was added to the part number for a later military contract. We also have a large stock of the earlier 5Z4G tubes in earlier brown military style boxes by STC, these may also be worth a try, I will add these to Ebay and post a picture of these later today.
Stock levels are depleting, there is a lot of interest from the Far east and we are presently preparing an order for 1000 of these tubes for one customer.

Thank you again for your positive posts and we hope you enjoy your tubes.
Feel free to email me with any questions. jamesatlangrex@aol.com 

Best regards

James
Langrex
[/IMG]
These are the earlier type 5Z4G tubes from 1953-1955 they have the military banded bases which were added to the tubes strengthen the join of the base to the glass. These will be listed on eBay shortly.

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #997 of 2,672
Meanwhile prices keep going up lol 

Feb 4, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #999 of 2,672
This price is also in line with the 5Z4GY he has listed on ebay which is significantly higher than that listed on his own web site. So maybe Langrex would be listing on his page for a lower price?? Whadaya think James?

Feb 4, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #1,000 of 2,672
  This price is also in line with the 5Z4GY he has listed on ebay which is significantly higher than that listed on his own web site. So maybe Langrex would be listing on his page for a lower price?? Whadaya think James?

Can't speak to the military version, but the standard 5Z4GY is definitely cheaper directly from Langrex than the Ebay listing.

Feb 4, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #1,002 of 2,672
^

Nice of you to chime in. The Brimar 5Z4G is a fantastic tube and you guys gave me great service.

Now I need to try a set of those Mullard 6080 power tubes you have.

Look like these have the darker black plates as well.

Feb 4, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #1,004 of 2,672
^^^^

As many 5Z4GYs you've helped sell, Langrex should consider selling those to you at a nice discount :)

Yeah. Actually they looked after me well. I was able to grab 14 before the price went up.

Actually I just spread the word to help you guys out. I knew it was something better than the other rectifiers I have tried (Mullard GZ32 and Fivre 5R4GY) in the first 5 minutes of listening.
Sending a spare over to Tony to evaluate and confirm what I was hearing got the ball rolling.

Feb 4, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #1,005 of 2,672

Yeah. Actually they looked after me well. I was able to grab 14 before the price went up.

Actually I just spread the word to help you guys out. I knew it was something better than the other rectifiers I have tried (Mullard GZ32 and Fivre 5R4GY) in the first 5 minutes of listening.
Sending a spare over to Tony to evaluate and confirm what I was hearing got the ball rolling.

I have 16 of the buggers. That's not obsessive, is it?
confused_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back